• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
i mean that's a different thing

that happens because of batman's no kill rule

this one happens because of a kind of dumb reason (arguably)
Jessica has more than one reason to want to prove killgrave is real. At least one
murder
that we know of, probably a lot of other messed up stuff.

maxcriden

First ep spoilers.

after luke and Jessica are intimate, why does she feel her neck in the bathroom? It looked slightly bruised? She reacted almost like he had put his hands around her neck when intimate, but I didn't see anything like that happen.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Well damn my sister started watching this and to my knowledge she's never seen any MCU stuff. Well maybe one of the movies but besides that I'm legit shook that she tuned in.

It's okay! Despite being KO'd by the powers of plot she can still shrug off
a would-be fatal car collision. After an episode of groaning she is completely fine afterwards.

:>

lol yeah, at least you made it funny XD but it is a bit irksome how inconsistent they are with her 'powers' / 'durability'

WRITERS COME ON

hope they will have a better grasp of it in season 2

Episode 12

Wow, that courier death.

Ugh, Trish should've shown her the damn files.

Holy crap, Kilgrave played the hell outta her. Gotdamn, I didn't even see that coming. Well done you, evil summamabitch.

That Luke and Jess brawl was noice.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well damn my sister started watching this and to my knowledge she's never seen any MCU stuff. Well maybe one of the movies but besides that I'm legit shook that she tuned in.

I've heard from a lot of my female friends that they're checking it out because they finally have a female superhero lead in a high quality show.

Episode 13

Claire! Awesome. Lol at Jess lifting Luke up like a child.

Well, I know one thing. This episode had me excited for the future, especially after seeing Jessica and Claire interacting, with the latter referencing Matt.

Good lord at "I have to remove dad from the face of the earth." I mean yo, that was gotdamn brutal.

I really thought that last dose was gonna turn him purple, but nope. Disappointed.

And wow, they just kill off Kilgrave like that? I wasn't expecting that at all. Can't say I like that decision either.

The ending was kinda....something. Not a cliffhanger, but I feel left wanting something more than what was given. Eh.

Was there a script leak or something at some point in the past? I'm having a serious case of déjà vu here. Either that or I'm clairvoyant. Probably the latter.

----

Anyway, great show. Really damn good. Not what I expected. It's a lot different than every other super hero show out there. It leans far more in the psychological thriller space, in my opinion. It's a very personal, intimate show.

Kilgrave is an amazing villain. David Tennant absolutely killed it in this role. Luke Cage was awesome, but I'd loved to have seen more of him. Guess that's why he's getting his own show!

As far as Jessica goes, I would've liked to see more of her using her powers, but I know that's not really what this show was about. Still, after watching Daredevil and several other comic book series', I was hoping for more. That's a minor annoyance, though.

Overall, I like Daredevil more, but it is quite a different show; in tone and direction. But still, if I were to rate the two, DD is an A+ and JJ a B+/A-.

Kinda confused about Killgrave's power...can't you just plug your ears and it won't work?
From my understanding of MCU Kilgrave, his power causes his body to emit an airborne (?) virus that affects nearly everyone. But he also has to issue a command. So if you have headphones on, you're technically affected by his power, but if you can't hear or see a command given from him, you won't be compelled/mind controlled into doing anything.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

kirblar

From my understanding of MCU Kilgrave, his power causes his body to emit an airborne (?) virus that affects nearly everyone. But he also has to issue a command. So if you have headphones on, you're technically affected by his power, but if you can't hear or see a command given from him, you won't be compelled/mind controlled into doing anything.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
You're correct.
His commands must be communicated directly- if you can't hear him, he'll need to have you read them.

Post-season comment-
This is why Trish is "Headphones Up, Head Down" at the end. Getting someone who doesn't know English to go after him would have been a super-clever way to get around his powers.

Spocker

Is it a conscious decision to not show the Avengers Tower? In episode two we get a shot of a skyline that includes the Metlife building, but no Tower. In the movies the Tower has replaced that building.

JustinBB7

Is it a conscious decision to not show the Avengers Tower? In episode two we get a shot of a skyline that includes the Metlife building, but no Tower. In the movies the Tower has replaced that building.

I wonder if this is supposed to be before Avengers tower. I'm sure I missed it though and they reference that it's current.

Not a spoiler but more a question about something, spoiler tag just in case:

But I'm just wondering why our other lawyer friend in a red suit doesn't help in all this. And yea I understand it's her own show and they want to keep it like this, but this seems like something Matt would be all over, and since this takes place right in his backyard it seems a bit weird to me. Avengers being too big to show up... ok I guess. But DD should be there right? Is that explained anywhere or just nitpicking I should look past.

I haven't finished though so.

kirblar

I think they wanted to keep the initial series pretty standalone to avoid overwhelming new viewers with expectations of needing to have already watched prior series. Would assume they have to be aware that people would love some crossover in S2 of DD/JJ/Cage/etc.

Not a spoiler but more a question about something, spoiler tag just in case:

But I'm just wondering why our other lawyer friend in a red suit doesn't help in all this. And yea I understand it's her own show and they want to keep it like this, but this seems like something Matt would be all over, and since this takes place right in his backyard it seems a bit weird to me. Avengers being too big to show up... ok I guess. But DD should be there right? Is that explained anywhere or just nitpicking I should look past.

Because
Jessica doesn't know him and has never met him. There's a chance to get him involved near the end, but Jessica refuses as she won't put anyone else at risk of falling to Kilgrave's abilities.

Everyone's dealing with their own problems, lol.

JustinBB7

Because
Jessica doesn't know him and has never met him. There's a chance to get him involved near the end, but Jessica refuses as she won't put anyone else at risk of falling to Kilgrave's abilities.

Everyone's dealing with their own problems, lol.

What does knowing him have to do with it? He watches the news/sits on a rooftop and hears crimes. The whole Hope case was on the news and the whole Killgrave thing, was on the radio, seems like something he would investigate at least. And a client for him to defend.

What does knowing him have to do with it? He watches the news/sits on a rooftop and hears crimes. The whole Hope case was on the news and the whole Killgrave thing, was on the radio, seems like something he would investigate at least. And a client for him to defend.

Lord, I don't know.

02-000-b20e0.jpg

The actor for Will Simpson is just the worst. I was watching The Leftovers before this and man. Man.

I thought he was great, lol, especially once (late season spoilers)
he loses his fucking mind and goes nuts.

Just want to echo how awesome Kilgrave is.

Ep.7
When he walks out of the house dressed casually just like any suburban husband/dad. Incredibly creepy.

Also, whenever he says 'Jessica'.

Brilliant casting.

Just finished episode 6. Whereas the first 2 felt like complete garbage, the show has gotten much better. The production of this is still half-assed and feels cheap like a CBS show at times, and Jessica is still unbearably unlikeable. Killgrave is the only enjoyable character at this point, and he is hardly in it.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Finished watching this show yesterday, and I've got to say, it's great. It does have some issues in the action choreography and the usage of powers
her jumping/flight effects are not great
, but it's still definitely one of the most enjoyable and tense series I've seen in a long while. "Tense" would actually be my one word summary for the series. I am however, super disappointed that the Met-Life building didn't get replaced by Avengers Tower. What gives?

Question that includes spoilers through episode 8:
So, did Kilgrave's parents create him? Like, was it their experiments that gave him powers? Why were they experimenting on him in the first place? If it's made more clear in a later episode, just tell me that.

Also, I think it's really stupid that his name is Kevin. I liked Zebidiah Kilgrave.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
So, did Kilgrave's parents create him? Like, was it their experiments that gave him powers? Why were they experimenting on him in the first place? If it's made more clear in a later episode, just tell me that.

Also, I think it's really stupid that his name is Kevin. I liked Zebidiah Kilgrave.
It's made clearer later.

Everything else is made more clear in a future episode.

Edit: Beaten

It is explained in the one of the later episodes AKA Sin Bin i think? Episode 8 or 9...
The parents were using a virus to try saving him from a neurological disease

Gallbaro

Banned
Good casting, but overall I was disappointed. Kind of felt like a amateur chess match.
Multiple custody escapes, among other things
made it feel really drawn out.

About her powers, late season spoiler:
She got hit by a food truck and shook that shit off in like a day. Her powers were inconsistent from start to finish. No idea why this was so overlooked.

Still enjoyed the show, even though it seriously dragged towards the end.

I am going to make an absolutely bonkers prediction, and one that I think only has the flimsiest amount of evidence, but I just pieced it together in my head a couple minutes into episode 9 and I just want to write it down so there's proof in the .0001% chance that I'm right.

Spoilers through episode 9ish.

Hogarth's girlfriend Pam also has Purple Man powers. Hogarth does whatever she wants, from leaving her long time wife who she apparently loved, to little tiny things like walking out of her divorce negotiations over a text. She was the girl shown in one of the experiment videos that Kilgrave was part of. There's a bunch of little things that make me think it's possible, too, but it's mostly backwards rationalization. Like how the divorce subplot is kind of boring and doesn't seem to related, but that would tie it in to the main plot. I know, it's crazy, but whatevs. I like fun speculation.

She got hit by a food truck and shook that shit off in like a day. Her powers were inconsistent from start to finish. No idea why this was so overlooked.
Yeah this is my biggest, and really only, complaint about the show.

Edit: ^ I like your speculation! That would be awesome.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

Still enjoyed the show, even though it seriously dragged towards the end.

i actually enjoyed that part of the story - felt just like the ending spiral in a classic noir story where
the protagonist is just beaten to shit stumbling around trying to fix everything

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Holy fuck Kilgrave is terrifying. What an absolute monster. Why can't Marvel's film villians be this good?

jett

D-Member
Watched the first episode. Pretty boring to be honest. I guess it picks up later on but I'm not particularly enthused about it.

Top Bottom