• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Time and character development.

Right and I guess with the limited time, Marvel would rather develop their heroes so they can market them or cross-promote them better. It's just such a shame that Kilgrave, Kingpin and Ward are sooo much better than anyone they've put on film, and two of them don't even have powers.

On Episode 10 now. I'm still wondering what's up with
Simpson. He's always acting so weird. Dodging questions about his past. Now some mysterious doctor came and gave him weird drugs and he gets over his explosion so fast.

Edit: Welp, he just killed the cool old black detective. I liked him too. Just like I liked Ben Urich. C'mon Marvel. Don't kill all of the cool old black dudes.

Does the show ever properly like ever feel a part of the MCU?

It feels like it's trying its hardest to not acknowledge the universe they live in.

Hulk is "the green guy"

Cap is "the flag waiver"

And there hasn't been a SINGLE mention of Daredevil.

It's getting ridiculous now. Why even be part of the MCU? Also who goes out of their way that much to not say "Hulk" or "Captain America"? They have names.

Game4life

Banned
Watched the first episode. Pretty boring to be honest. I guess it picks up later on but I'm not particularly enthused about it.

four episodes in and each one is worse than the previous. Absolutely try hard film noir nonsense with sub par plot and acting and poorly written characters, After Daredevil this feels super disappointing. I am not very familiar with the comics so I am not sure if the character is inherently this boring. Need my Daredevil season 2 asap.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I think I live in a parallel dimension from you guys if you think the acting and writing is in any way terrible

stupei

It feels like it's trying its hardest to not acknowledge the universe they live in.

Hulk is "the green guy"

Cap is "the flag waiver"

It's getting ridiculous now. Why even be part of the MCU? Also who goes out of their way that much to not say "Hulk" or "Captain America"? They have names.

Pretty sure that's not "the show doesn't want to say the name" so much as Jessica doesn't want to say their names because, as with a great many things, Jessica thinks they sound really dumb.

Hulk is "the green guy"

Cap is "the flag waiver"

It's an attempt to make the show accessible to MCU outsiders. The oblique references can be picked up by people who already know the larger MCU without risking alienating newcomers. That's the logic I think.

I think I live in a parallel dimension from you guys if you think the acting and writing is in any way terrible

I'm with you. I think the acting has been amazing, top to bottom. I've enjoyed the story far more than Daredevil's by the books origin.

I am a little confused about when it's taking place though compared to the rest of the MCU; but that's the only writing issue I've had.

Hulk is "the green guy"

Cap is "the flag waiver"

Would Luke Cage and Jessica even know that the green guy is called "Hulk"? And I don't see the problem with calling Cap "the flag waver", especially when Jessica
thought Jewel was a stupid name.

guek

Banned

There are a few writing issues such as
certain plot elements like Killgrave being hunted, caught, escaping, and hunted again being recycled too often in a 13 episode show.
Ritter and Colter can also be a bit hit or miss, especially the latter. The show also has a bit of a problem when it comes to likeable main characters, though
that gets better once Hogarth disappears.

The show has a few other weaknesses too such as the fight choreography. But yeah, the style, the cinematography, the soundtrack, all of it is top notch. I wonder if some of the people who dislike it weren't expecting it to be such a staunch dime-novel noir thriller. The show feels like nothing else in the MCU, which is both good and bad since that obviously runs counter to a lot of preset expectations.

the acting is fine

the writing isn't terrible it's...disappointing. the first episode or two set up this incredible depth to everything and set up multiple subplots and relationships, but it just feels like all of that was ditched in favor of
keeping the kilgrave conflict alive longer.

i've really thought about this show a lot over the last two days since finishing it, and it really made me realize how much i can't wait for the next season. they did so much right and showed so much potential but they kind of fell apart and kept padding one single arc so much that it all felt real flat by the end of it.

i've likened this show to orphan black before, and i think it's a very apt comparison in some ways. while the writing of this show is nowhere near as bad as orphan black's, there's definitely similar things happening where a lot of intrigue and mystery is set up at first around both characters and actions but the show goes too far in trying to explain everything in a short amount of time to the point where none of that intrigue really felt that it paid off. i really do hope they come back with jessica jones season 2 and double down on the concepts they started out with this time around instead of focusing too much on the single main conflict like this season ended. if this means the show ends up more procedural like dardevil was, i'd be completely fine with that.

i think tennant is wonderful in JJ, but the rest of the cast is not at his level

writing can be tighter, to be honest.

but it's a good show, overall.

I can agree that I see a few weak points in the acting, and that Tennant is definitely above every one, but I think it's odd to compare it to Daredevil in that regard, considering how awful Foggy was in that show.

I can agree that I see a few weak points in the acting, and that Tennant is definitely above every one, but I think it's odd to compare it to Daredevil in that regard, considering how awful Foggy was in that show.

i just rewatched the second episode where foggy and karen hit the town, and even while watching it i couldn't help but notice foggy really fucking nailed it as a funny and charismatic drunk trying to cheer up a friend, so hearing that he was "awful" doesn't seem to line up imho.

i just rewatched the second episode where foggy and karen hit the town, and even while watching it i couldn't help but notice foggy really fucking nailed it as a funny and charismatic drunk trying to cheer up a friend, so hearing that he was "awful" doesn't seem to line up imho.

I do seem to remember enjoying him more on the rewatch, but all I could think about during my first time through was how dreadful he was. It wasn't always, either. Sometimes he could nail it, but other times it just...it's hard to explain. He just sounded like a guy who was acting. Which, obviously he is, but he's not supposed to sound like that.

Game4life

Banned

Even if he is supposedly awful ( I dont think he is particularly terrible ), almost every other actor in Daredevil is good. Here every one is just mediocre but to be fair the writing seems to be the cause of failure here more than acting talent. It comes of like some B grade film noir attempt

Red

I'm on episode 5 now. I was more into Daredevil, but there is a lot to like in Jessica Jones. I think the script is better here, or maybe it's the direction or acting. Less cheese (though there is plenty still). The action scenes do not hold a candle to Daredevil. The
bar fight
was okay. I guess this series is less about that. The way things are cut during action simply isn't interesting. I don't think Jessica's powers are portrayed well. I don't get how having super strength gives you the ability to open locked doors by turning the handles really hard.

The first two episodes were really tense. Three and four were solid but a little less interesting. Kilgrave seems less menacing when
he is asking for coats or car rides instead of forcing a girl to murder her parents.

I think this may overall be a better looking show than Daredevil, but DD's big draw was the excellent action sequences. Each one was a highlight and showcased real skill with choreography and cinematography. JJ lacks those moments. It is a more steady burn, but it doesn't reach the same highs.

The soundtrack is weird. Sometimes it feels completely natural, sometimes it feels cheap and out of place. I appreciate the jazzy atmosphere but it does not always belong in the scenes it is used.

Of the five episodes I have seen so far I have enjoyed more than in most other Marvel productions, so I am happy. Worth the $10 this month.

Also, the word "sufentanil" is used way too much.

Hulk is "the green guy"

Cap is "the flag waiver"

Daredevil
was mentioned in the last episode by Claire.

Pau

Watching episode 4.

It's almost a rule now you can't have a strong female protagonist without a sexist pig character. Even if a side one.
Which character?

I know what you mean, but I thought Jessica Jones did a good job of showing the kind of sexist assholes and shit we actually deal with instead of the usual trope.

Which character?

I know what you mean, but I thought Jessica Jones did a good job of showing the kind of sexist assholes and shit we actually deal with instead of the usual trope.

He's a side gag of the flashback when they're at the bar. The douche bro who's all like "yaaaaaaaaah
i masturbated to you
, girls drool guys rule"

jrush64

Banned
So I just finished it. It was an enjoyable show but Daredevil is just so much better. I didn't find Jessica particularly likable as a character. Trish, Trinities character were all great though. Also Luke Cage is awesome. Kilgrave was a great character also.

Pau

He's a side gag of the flashback when they're at the bar. The douche bro who's all like "yaaaaaaaaah
i masturbated to you
, girls drool guys rule"
Then it is the scene I had in mind. Honestly, I've had similar things said to me in such scenarios so it didn't bother me. I can see the latter part being kind of tired, but I thought it was refreshing to have a show be like: yeah, this shit happens and some men actually do say such "compliments".

lsslave

Jew Gamer
A few notes about this show I've found,

Great overarching, basically Kilgrave is the good part of the show, and it makes sense because with Ritter acting (terribly as usual) I was only giving it a shot because of DT being in it.

The rest is frustrating. As others have pointed out the show is inconsistent, anything involving Jessica is frustrating and irritating. I literally lost it when she sabotaged her goals for the 10000th time it felt like, and I'm only halfway through.

I'll finish the season, mostly because Trish is awesome and Kilgrave is awesome and there is something good, but I really don't see myself wasting time with a second season of the show.

guek

Banned
at episodes 10. not really liking how the past few episodes played out... just... really weird writing....
Episode 10 is a bit of a low point where everything feels tiresome. It bounces back fairly well with the last 3 episodes though.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Episode 1 Foggy compared to Episode 2 Foggy feels like a completely different actor. His line-reading in the first episode sounds like an awkward high school kid in a stage play, pretending to play a professional. Episode 2 is far less painful.

Right and I guess with the limited time, Marvel would rather develop their heroes so they can market them or cross-promote them better. It's just such a shame that Kilgrave, Kingpin and Ward are sooo much better than anyone they've put on film, and two of them don't even have powers.

It's to prevent what the 90's Batman movies became which were villain-of-the-week showpieces where you get a big-name actor to cut loose and be silly, while the titular character gets nothing to do or work with.

OmegaFax

Finished the series earlier today:

-Simpson looked like someone originally cast as a stunt double for Chris Evans. Couldn't shake "Budget Chris Evans" off my mind.

-Didn't like the sex scenes in the first few episodes. I'm glad the show took the time to establish everyone's labido but it screamed "because we're on premium we can do it". Neat.

-Is this show in MCU purgatory? Any time the characters drop references to Avengers, it sounded intentionally bullshitty. It felt like a direct translation of the writers not wanting to give too many shits about it vs. character ignorance.

-Eh, lack of Avengers Tower. I think someone pointed out in the spoiler thread that they didn't show the tower in Daredevil because of budget reasons. I really think this is oddly one of those "nopes" that's reserved for motion picture production only. For whatever reason, I'd thought Hogarth's law office was on a lower floor of that building (given her window's vantage point) but establishing shots in Jessica Jones show nothing in the New York skyline.

-Still hung up over the very loose association to MCU. Wouldn't Killgrave or the other Fringe-esque experiments on children shown up on Shield or Hydra's radar?

-Would have been awesome if Laurence Fishburne was Simpson's doctor. Made that red pill/blue pill bullshit easier to swallow.

-I still have no idea what they were trying to do with Simpson ... he's a street cop turned Killgrave assassin that has real life Call of Duty buddies he plays with on weekends?

-Jessica's motive for taking out Killgrave. Way more people died by not letting Budget Evans Commando Cop just level his house. Unless I'm missing something, Jessica helped Killgrave find his parents ... gave him some closure and had his father upgrade his powers.

-The show went way the more out of its way to keep Killgrave alive than he deserved. Drug him, take away his powers, amp up his powers, outright kill him.

-Completely agree that non-English speaking characters is kind of an plothole. Also thought for a second how fucked they would be if this took place in London instead of New York. More than a few leads were picked up on based on Killgrave's use of slang. "Hey, someone came around here saying bloke and wanker!" "Uh, you mean everybody" *cue to credits*

-I don't know shit about the comics but Luke Cage walking off the concussive blast of a timed detonation but becoming comatose when a shotgun shell nails him straight in the head. Kind of call bullshit on this. He's as selectively rugged as Jessica.

Finished the series earlier today:

-Simpson looked like someone originally cast as a stunt double for Chris Evans. Couldn't shake "Budget Chris Evans" off my mind.

-Didn't like the sex scenes in the first few episodes. I'm glad the show took the time to establish everyone's labido but it screamed "because we're on premium we can do it". Neat.

-Is this show in MCU purgatory? Any time the characters drop references to Avengers, it sounded intentionally bullshitty. It felt like a direct translation of the writers not wanting to give too many shits about it vs. character ignorance.

-Eh, lack of Avengers Tower. I think someone pointed out in the spoiler thread that they didn't show the tower in Daredevil because of budget reasons. I really think this is oddly one of those "nopes" that's reserved for motion picture production only. For whatever reason, I'd thought Hogarth's law office was on a lower floor of that building (given her window's vantage point) but establishing shots in Jessica Jones show nothing in the New York skyline.

-Still hung up over the very loose association to MCU. Wouldn't Killgrave or the other Fringe-esque experiments on children shown up on Shield or Hydra's radar?

-Would have been awesome if Laurence Fishburne was Simpson's doctor. Made that red pill/blue pill bullshit easier to swallow.

-I still have no idea what they were trying to do with Simpson ... he's a street cop turned Killgrave assassin that has real life Call of Duty buddies he plays with on weekends?

-Jessica's motive for taking out Killgrave. Way more people died by not letting Budget Evans Commando Cop just level his house. Unless I'm missing something, Jessica helped Killgrave find his parents ... gave him some closure and had his father upgrade his powers.

-The show went way the more out of its way to keep Killgrave alive than he deserved. Drug him, take away his powers, amp up his powers, outright kill him.

-Completely agree that non-English speaking characters is kind of an plothole. Also thought for a second how fucked they would be if this took place in London instead of New York. More than a few leads were picked up on based on Killgrave's use of slang. "Hey, someone came around here saying bloke and wanker!" "Uh, you mean everybody" *cue to credits*

-I don't know shit about the comics but Luke Cage walking off the concussive blast of a timed detonation but becoming comatose when a shotgun shell nails him straight in the head. Kind of call bullshit on this. He's as selectively rugged as Jessica.
Regarding Simpson

Dabanton

Dear lord at episode 10. Not only with the very clunky exposition but the general actions of various characters.

Kilgrave is carrying this show. Every scene with DT just lifts the show.

KarmaCow

Episode 1 Foggy compared to Episode 2 Foggy feels like a completely different actor. His line-reading in the first episode sounds like an awkward high school kid in a stage play, pretending to play a professional. Episode 2 is far less painful.

I was watching an episode of Psych recently and Foggy was in it. I say Foggy not only because I don't remember the actor's name but it was basically the same character, with the same awkward delivery. It was weird.

jtb

Banned
The show is very reminiscent of early Dexter (and I'm only half saying that because of Melissa Rosenberg)... the conceit is brilliant, the voice is so strong, the caustic wit is pitch perfect, but good lord the endless parade of awful side characters and their pointless, shitty subplots is just comically tedious.

KarmaCow

What blows my mind is that despite how horrible episode 10 was, 11 was worse.

Well that's because
10 just had a really dumb moment and wasn't completely undermined by it while 11 is a fight heavy episode where they decide to give us the backstory between Jessica and Trish that was already kinda apparent.

I binged the show and loved it then finished off the last two and they were a bit cold for me. I love all the fucked up situations and the self loathing is earned with her back story. Kilgrave, Trish, Luke, Simpson and Jerri were great portrayals of their characters too.

Just finished episode 9 and I'm enjoying the show more and more. It's not perfect but certainly has this energy that doesn't stress me out and keeps me curious. Plus so far I've enjoyed all the main players.

2 episodes to go till I finish. Immensely enjoyable so far. A shame so many people here are meh about it. Besides her inconsistent powers, which I also find very jarring and annoying, I think the writing and acting is pretty decent for a super hero show. Tenant obviously carries every scene he's in, but I really like Jessica and Trish a lot. Trinity also gets the whole stone cold bitch thing down great. Anyway, on to the next 2 episodes!

Top Bottom