• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
everyone in the audience not watching the rest of MCU's properties does not take away from the fact that this property exists within the confines of the MCU. and btw, while there's no way to prove it, I think it's safe to say that most people that have watched it are also fans of the rest of the MCU shit.whaaaat the fuck, can't unsee

I mean...they're connected on paper, but it's not some tightly woven tapestry where characters pop in and out like the comics. Let's be real, the movies do what they want and the shows react and have tiny connections to that.

Someone mentioned that Agents of SHIELD big connection to Age of Ultron
was that the first mission in Avengers was given to them from Intel that was snagged during Agents.

They're loose. Which probably gets you a stronger show since it can focus on its own strengths and isn't beholden to every slight change in the MCU. People liked the SHIELD connection to Winter Soldier in Season 1 because it gave the show some direction, finally. But you can only connect the TV and movies so much before you're requiring the viewer to view both, which is never going to happen.

Bladenic

Robin and Reuben have a weird AF brother/sister relationship. And Robin is annoying as all fuck. Die plz.

Actually beside Luke and Trish, I really don't give a shit about most of the supporting cast and their stories.

I mean...they're connected on paper, but it's not some tightly woven tapestry where characters pop in and out like the comics. Let's be real, the movies do what they want and the shows react and have tiny connections to that.

Someone mentioned that Agents of SHIELD big connection to Age of Ultron
was that the first mission in Avengers was given to them from Intel that was snagged during Agents.

They're loose. Which probably gets you a stronger show since it can focus on its own strengths and isn't beholden to every slight change in the MCU. People liked the SHIELD connection to Winter Soldier in Season 1 because it gave the show some direction, finally. But you can only connect the TV and movies so much before you're requiring the viewer to view both, which is never going to happen.
for me, as someone who's a part of the audience and a fan, the fact that all the marvel properties are part of the same universe makes them more enjoyable because of that. I like the fact that they are doing it, and WB doing the opposite sorta makes theirs less enjoyable, but that's me. so to get back to what I was saying, using the darker tone of the tv shows as an excuse for why the movie references are loose, is no excuse at all. they shouldn't make it a point to try and make hazy, the fact that all of these characters share continuity.

and although there's no way to prove it, i feel like it's safe to say that the said viewer does indeed watch both the movies and the shows. or at least a decent amount of both.

me in particular, i don't want the shows that are on cable but i love daredevil, and i thought jessica jones was good. and they're not just connected "on paper," they're connected on film seeing as how direct references have been made in lines and imagery pointing towards it, like ben urich's framed articles.

It's greatest sin is that mentioning it as the incident or big green man or anything of the like simply makes us stop a moment and think "What are they talking about?" "Why don't they just say (insert name here)." It pulls us out of the show because we're thinking about the production side of the writing.
yeah, and it's pretty unnecessary if you ask me. there was 1 time in an episode where foggy name dropped captain america but that's about it.

and it's not just about superheroes, it's aliens too; the everyday people of this universe have realized that they are not alone in the cosmos. not that they have to be mentioning that every other line but I feel like something should be there to show that humanity is quite changed from the events that's taken place.

Robin and Reuben have a weird AF brother/sister relationship. And Robin is annoying as all fuck. Die plz.

Actually beside Luke and Trish, I really don't give a shit about most of the supporting cast and their stories.
I think it was implied incest.

Which Robin wasn't really fond of, hence his love for JJ.

Sheroking

Yeah by episode 10 it feels like a drag. You can only go so far with Kilgrave story

Well.. they just needed a two episode lull or break in the story.

When the story is that intensely focused and you feel like every second word out of Jessica's mouth is "Kilgrave!", it gets kind of exhausting. There are almost no subplots in the show and the ones that exist
(Hogarth's divorce and Nuke & Trish's relationship)
don't get much screen time. If you had more of them, or had a couple unrelated cases in the middle of the season, it would have had a much better flow.

It's like the whole 24 thing. You'd think that show would be awesome to binge watch but it's like, the worst show to binge watch because the intensity level is too high. You get tired watching it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I have to say about the origin of Kilgrave,
It's a shame they didn't/couldn't use the mind gem as his origin. They could have avoided the virus subplot completely and made Jessicas catharsis much stronger. According to the wikis it was in Thanos' possession until he gave it to Loki, so that would make it impossible.

So Thanos would've come to Earth and made a deal with two parents to save their son by putting a piece of the Mind Stone inside his head, and then not use said person when he came to Earth, because... look, we don't have to make Thanos even more of a chicken leg-day skipping motherfucker.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have to say about the origin of Kilgrave,
It's a shame they didn't/couldn't use the mind gem as his origin. They could have avoided the virus subplot completely and made Jessicas catharsis much stronger. According to the wikis it was in Thanos' possession until he gave it to Loki, so that would make it impossible.

No, thats good, because everything doesnt need fall back to
Thanos.

rezuth

I loved the episode where
Jessica is living with Kilgrave
but they totally ruin the whole episode in the last three minutes.
i laughed so much at Jessica force jumping out of there with Kilgrave.

The show never regains its fitting after that moment, they've ruined the season at that point and there is no coming back.

Just finished it. Amazing finale for another awesome show. I still like Daredevil more but this was still a very, very solid effort for a fairly different kind of Marvel character. Here's hoping there's a season 2 and they can iron out the kinks, such as her inconsistent powers and meh fight choreography and jarring sideplots/characters.

duckroll

Wow episode 7 was fuuuuuuckin' dumb. The Kilgrave stuff was really good, but everything involving everyone else was like.... wtf. It's like they're setting up a mid-season arc of failure just to pad the series out. You can SEE it all failing from a mile away, which is really frustrating writing.

Dali

Wow episode 7 was fuuuuuuckin' dumb. The Kilgrave stuff was really good, but everything involving everyone else was like.... wtf. It's like they're setting up a mid-season arc of failure just to pad the series out. You can SEE it all failing from a mile away, which is really frustrating writing.
Is that about where she comes up with the brilliant "I'll go to jail" plan?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Really liked the series overall but I agree with everyone saying it seriously dragged, same as Daredevil, I can appreciate that Netflix are trying something very different with these shows so it makes sense that they haven't got it exactly right, but I hope they are taking notes for the rest of their marvel shows.

I feel like they must have some data that tells them how to hook people in to the whole series that's affecting how they dole out story (the secret seems to be to heavily front load the main story). The problem isn't really the main plot I don't think, or the fact it's all just one villain, it's that they push the side characters almost completely out of the show until they get halfway through the series, then expect us to care about them when they actually get some screen time. My girlfriend and I were both sitting there laughing at the Lawyer cheating/breakup story because it felt like a complete non sequitur, she came up with the theory that Carrie-Anne Moss refused to be in the show without something more to do than be an arsehole lawyer and that's certainly what it felt like.

Still, I'm really looking forward to Luke Cage now, I think he was pretty great, and I think the Defenders series can't get here soon enough, need to see Jess sneaking around Daredevils apartment looking for booze thinking he doesn't know what she's doing.

jrDev

Amazing show and I love the theme song!

Episode 7:
At about 36:13, Is that the good cop from daredevil that foggy was always giving cigars for his mom?

Edit: Nvm it is lol...

Amazing show and I love the theme song!

Episode 7:
At about 36:13, Is that the good cop from daredevil that foggy was always giving cigars for his mom?
yes.

which reminds me, they didn't make it clear the extent of how Kilgrave's mind control works.
In the show, he controls the minds of his victims, but can he control their thoughts too? Like, he told everyone at the station to laugh it off after 30 seconds, but did he erase their memories? Did they all suddenly forget what was happening to them before being ordered to laugh?

Quick

Banned
yes.

which reminds me, they didn't make it clear the extent of how Kilgrave's mind control works.
In the show, he controls the minds of his victims, but can he control their thoughts too? Like, he told everyone at the station to laugh it off after 30 seconds, but did he erase their memories? Did they all suddenly forget what was happening to them before being ordered to laugh?

They remember it, but believed it was a prank because Kilgrave told them it was. In Episode 9, Jessica confronted Clemons about the incident, reminding him about the cops pointing guns at everyone, and Ruben's head on his table.

They remember it, but believed it was a prank because Kilgrave told them it was. In Episode 9, Jessica confronted Clemons about the incident, reminding him about the cops pointing guns at everyone, and Ruben's head on his table.
At the time, his power was only supposed to last for "12 hours" or some shit like that. By that point shouldn't it have worn off and everyone realize the danger they were in? Isn't that how a therapy group was started?

I made it to episode 5, I think, and started fast forwarding to see if there was anything good coming up after that.

Then I got to episode 7. I think I'm done with this. I'll give it another chance next week but honestly I'm not feeling it.

For reference, I guess: I liked Daredevil, enjoyed The Flash (minus the "teen" drama).

yes.

He can't do that. In fact I think he (or someone else) may have mentioned it in the show. However, he can erase all evidence of himself from the system so they have no evidence to support their claims of mind control... which is what he did.

Damerman

Just saw the first episode of this... I'm way more interested in this than I am interested in Daredevil. Daredevil is good, but it wasn't able to hold my attention as well as this show.

Shahadan

I would have liked it better if she didn't have any powers actually :lol:
It doesn't add that much besides being able to do some fight scenes she dumbly lose anyway.

I enjoyed the rest.

KarmaCow

At the time, his power was only supposed to last for "12 hours" or some shit like that. By that point shouldn't it have worn off and everyone realize the danger they were in? Isn't that how a therapy group was started?

Post ep 8 spoilers
They explain his mind control more as an intense desire to do something rather than straight up being used as a puppet. It's why Kilgrave needs to be precise with his words because his victim also interpret it for themselves. Clemmons kinda explains that he realises it wasn't really a prank but chooses to believe it to ignore reality. This is why he blows off Jessica till she says she'll give Kilgrave his address.

aku:jiki

I'm pretty sure
that he says that they know what happened but are pretending like it never happened because an entire station can't go on forced psych evaluation leave.

Quick

Banned

He can't do that. In fact I think he (or someone else) may have mentioned it in the show. However, he can erase all evidence of himself from the system so they have no evidence to support their claims of mind control... which is what he did.

The best thing Kilgrave can do is erase records of his presence (CCTV, written documentation, tangible stuff), but when someone says they saw him, there isn't much to go on other than "a guy with a British accent and a suit."

This is how Hope's parents found out about Jessica in the first place, but Jessica had to be specific in asking them "who sent you?" and "can you describe him to me?" to actually jog their memory and really think about it.

Simpson was told to kill Trish, and Jessica convinced him she's dead. But when Simpson was out of Kilgrave's control, he had this feeling she was dead and he needed to look into it.

Basically, Kilgrave can't erase memories, but he can tell people to "forget" about him, in the sense that he becomes a person in passing (just another face in a crowded place), whose memory of you'd just leave in the back of your mind.

danielcw

He just told them
to laugh about it like a joke. He did not influence their mind or memory at all. People convince themselves. "Everybody laughed about it, so it must have been a prank or something funny"

I'm up to episode 8 and found this very clever/amusing:

Jessica accuses Killgrave of raping her and he says "How am I supposed to know if you're doing it because you want or because I told you to?" i.e. poor guy, he can't say "suck my dick" in the moment. Don't get me wrong...rape is bad, sad for Jessica, but an interesting Killgrave problem.

Gvitor

Just finished it. Loved it. Eps 8 through 10 are my favorites, but 12 has my favorite scene:

"HEAR IT? I WROTE IT"

Sure, it was a stretch that he controlled Luke's every word and action when he never did with anyone throughout the show, but it made for such a great twist and Tennant absolutely nailed it with his delivery.

Jarmel

Banned

lol

Almost there.

Red

Didn't seem any worse to me than anything else in the Marvelverse. Lots of dumb things happen in these scripts.

I feel like the show would have been stronger if it took a more procedural direction. Kilgrave being the singular focus of Jessica for so many episodes felt draining.

Also the whole
Divorce subplot
felt unnecessary, and boring.

The Adder

Banned
I'm up to episode 8 and found this very clever/amusing:

Jessica accuses Killgrave of raping her and he says "How am I supposed to know if you're doing it because you want or because I told you to?" i.e. poor guy, he can't say "suck my dick" in the moment. Don't get me wrong...rape is bad, sad for Jessica, but an interesting Killgrave problem.

So I played this exact type of character as a good guy in a Wild Talents and this situation came up. He had a couple ways of dealing with it. One was by phrasing everything as a question.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Qpsa5FG.gif

Generic reaction gif for ppl to use.

edit: wait, I'm gonna fix it up.

edit edit: fixed

I'm with everyone saying this took a Kilgrave inspired jump off a cliff after a few episodes. The second half is garbage. But also, really, the whole show was cornier, dumber, and more Syfy Original than I expected, given the reviews. "You let me be inside you." Jesus Christ.

I gave this show a real chance and it plays off like it might hit the same notes that Daredevil did, but there are WAY too many inconsistencies and just straight up stupid shit that happens later on that I can't accept. What a disappointment.

Top Bottom