• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Boy episode 10...
man what the fuck. It was like a carnival of stupid. I guess death by thousand cuts is a pretty goddamn accurate title in more ways than one.

Episode 11
was a return to form for the most part. I enjoy the dynamics of Jessica and Trish's friendship as it never devolves into cliche. They're adults and they know how to handle things together well. I have to really hand it to the show for getting so much right about how abusers exert control over their victims. Some of it really makes me uncomfortable with how accurate it is.

Two more episodes!

Jarmel

Banned
Finished episode 8. The Jessica/Kilgrave stuff was really great. I love the awkward tension and the exploration of the psychological impact Kilgrave has on Jessica, along with how she evaluates her options at this point. Unfortunately parts of the episode are tainted by how stupid and nonsensical the supporting characters are written.
The entire Simpson arc is balls to the wall dumb. First with him tackling Jessica (Okay, if she WAS under Kilgrave's plan, what would his plan be? To get his ass kicked and die?), then the entire bomb thing, and then him getting his homies together for a big takedown without consulting anyone else in the know. Just... stupid. Glad he's fucking dead. That wasn't even a "oh shit" moment, it was just a "finally, thank god he's off the show" moment.

hahahaha

That would have been preferable to what's coming.
I'm surprised you thought he died though. You should know better. If an episode ends with a cliffhanger of someone possibly being dead, they're almost always alive.

The side stories are by far the worst aspect of the show. I really enjoyed episode 8 until the ending because it gave a great insight into Killgrave.

WhiteWolf

This show would have been good with much less episodes. The last ones are even much worse than Daredevil's.

Yeah this show continued the Marvel trend of the ending being anticlimactic at best and insulting to one's intelligence at worst (haven't seen Antman or AoU, maybe they had more satisfying conclusions).

Overall, I didn't like this show. I really disliked most the characters and the actions committed by several of them during the second half of the show were stupefying.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone commenting on how lacking the choreography is in the 2nd half. All that good use of color is almost completely gone and barring a couple of shots, it's very mediocre.

Poyunch

Finished episode 8. The Jessica/Kilgrave stuff was really great. I love the awkward tension and the exploration of the psychological impact Kilgrave has on Jessica, along with how she evaluates her options at this point. Unfortunately parts of the episode are tainted by how stupid and nonsensical the supporting characters are written.
The entire Simpson arc is balls to the wall dumb. First with him tackling Jessica (Okay, if she WAS under Kilgrave's plan, what would his plan be? To get his ass kicked and die?), then the entire bomb thing, and then him getting his homies together for a big takedown without consulting anyone else in the know. Just... stupid. Glad he's fucking dead. That wasn't even a "oh shit" moment, it was just a "finally, thank god he's off the show" moment.

I agree it's stupid but I just interpreted it as this dude's not right in the head so him acting stupid sort of makes sense. Maybe I had to believe that to justify it in my head.

Finished it.

I really hate how Hope was the impetus for all of this and she just goes and kills herself. I know she did it to relieve Jessica of her guilt but still. I felt cheated.

I actually liked how Jessica uses Kilgrave's obsession with her to her advantage and fools him one more time to snap his neck. There wasn't no need for a big bad showdown because he's not super powered. She just needed to get close. I think the cat and mouse game lost its effectiveness as soon Kilgrave was fully revealed and there was no mystery.

Did they nerf Luke Cage in this show? A shotgun blast at close range shouldn't of hurt him as bad as it did.

This is why we need The X men and Spiderman in this universe. Professor X/Jean Grey would own Kilgrave in one sec flat. I love Trish and Jessica's relationship; it feels real. And love Krysten Ritter. I have a crush on her. I got a thing for women with black hair. Carrie Ann was also looking good.

Seriously, we need Iron Fist.

Ricker

Not sure why some of you dont like the last few episodes...just finished ep.11 and it was awesome...finally some action and well done fights...last 2 maybe...?

More pumped up Trish please...so hot lol ;)

Pachimari

I think they would be interested in getting to film that Heroes for Hire show pretty quickly and before The Defenders. No need in letting the crew and cast wait.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think they would be interested in getting to film that Heroes for Hire show pretty quickly and before The Defenders. No need in letting the crew and cast wait.
There was a interview that they need to hurry up with new seasons because of contracts. I assume that we wont get new seasons anymore until Defenders is finished

Kadayi

Banned
Finished. Overall I enjoyed it. One thing I would say though is Jessica needs to have a change up in wardrobe occasionally. Wearing the same shit everyday was just kind of weird. I like the dude playing Luke Cage. He has presence.

lt519

I enjoyed the show, but damn did they have too many "We got hi...oh shit, he got away" scenes.

The lack of their ability to plan any one of many conceivable ways to capture and/or set Killgrave up broke my immersion with the show completely. I get she wants to save Hope from jail but c'mon there is more than one way to do that. Read my spoiler tagged part below for more on that. That and Jessica Jones inconsistency with her strength. Getting choked out one second by a random guy then the next she's punching people through walls.

More moaning about the plot.
The amount of havoc and crap Killgrave pulls and the number of cameras around an entire city he did those things on would be more than enough to convince the police/military/IHG to put a sniper round in his head. Like Simpson was the only one that figured it'd be a good idea to end the guys life. End of story. All keeping in mind this is the Marvel universe where there has already been an alien attack and other super heroes.
With how the lawyer hand waved Jessica out of any trouble easily at the end could have been done at any point during the show with Hope by getting any shred of evidence they could have set up or found of Killgrave controlling people

There were just too many things the show asked us to forgive in the sloppy plot writing. Still enjoyed it a lot though.

Quick

Banned
Finished everything last night.

That was a great season 1. Hopefully it gets renewed. The last scene was quite perfect in tone, imo.

GavinUK86

Just finished it. Wow. Great writing, great acting, just... great. Enjoyed it even more than Daredevil and that was one heck of a good show. Marvel and Netflix are really knocking it out of the park so far, no other show can touch em.

So what comes next? Daredevil season 2 or Luke Cage's own show?

So I have two eps left and I have yet to see daredevil. Is he not going to show up?

No, thank god. They need to stay in their own shows until the team up one

Just finished it. Wow. Great writing, great acting, just... great. Enjoyed it even more than Daredevil and that was one heck of a good show. Marvel and Netflix are really knocking it out of the park so far, no other show can touch em.

Claire though

kirblar

Yeah,
she's fine. I mean the main characters. They need to stay separate until a team up. I'm glad we didn't get too much Luke Cage in this
Well,
they just put out a teaser w/ Jessica picking up N&M's business card at a bar, so her appearing in DD S2 seems likely.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Daredevil Season 2 comes first. Luke Cage is probably latter half of the year.

Satch

Banned
I'm going to need a little more then that. Satch.

patsy
I7cIm.gif

luke
pdmXz.gif

scosher

The lack of their ability to plan any one of many conceivable ways to capture and/or set Killgrave up broke my immersion with the show completely. I get she wants to save Hope from jail but c'mon there is more than one way to do that. Read my spoiler tagged part below for more on that. That and Jessica Jones inconsistency with her strength. Getting choked out one second by a random guy then the next she's punching people through walls.

More moaning about the plot.
The amount of havoc and crap Killgrave pulls and the number of cameras around an entire city he did those things on would be more than enough to convince the police/military/IHG to put a sniper round in his head. Like Simpson was the only one that figured it'd be a good idea to end the guys life. End of story. All keeping in mind this is the Marvel universe where there has already been an alien attack and other super heroes.
With how the lawyer hand waved Jessica out of any trouble easily at the end could have been done at any point during the show with Hope by getting any shred of evidence they could have set up or found of Killgrave controlling people

There were just too many things the show asked us to forgive in the sloppy plot writing. Still enjoyed it a lot though.

Yup, or the fact that it wasn't until the finale that one of the characters decided to put music/earmuffs on to block his voice. Still enjoyed the show immensely.

Evilkazz

Banned
Just finished the show. I can see from all the black bars, we're still in no spoilers mode.

I honestly found this show to be superior to daredevil. Not that daredevil was bad but I felt this show was a bit stronger. I didn't think Daredevil's supporting cast was that great besides Fisk. And there wasn't a lot of courtroom stuff despite him being a lawyer and all.

I was quite impressed with Jessica Jones's performances. Krysten Ritter did an amazing job with her role. Though some plot threads seemed to come in and out of relevancy sometimes at random.
I had no idea what the point of lesbian lawyer's marital/divorce problems were but the ending with the 1000 cuts was really good.

What I really enjoyed about this show was the amount of revelations brought up that never ceased to surprise me.
Neighbor was secretly the spy the whole time, Luke being controlled,
etc. Really good job keeping me on my toes.

And of course David Tennant's performance was amazing. There's not much I can say about him. I loved every scene he was in, Great lines and delivery.
Though I feel like his ending wasn't handed THAT great. Seeing him get more an more powered up in the later episodes really set him up to be an unstoppable force and I would've liked to have seen the full extent of his powers. He got that purple stuff injected directly into him with a huge dosage in the last episode but we didn't get to see him do anything impressive with it. Still a minor nitpick in a really strong show.

And of course David Tennant's performance was amazing. There's not much I can say about him. I loved every scene he was in, Great lines and delivery.
Though I feel like his ending wasn't handed THAT great. Seeing him get more an more powered up in the later episodes really set him up to be an unstoppable force and I would've liked to have seen the full extent of his powers. He got that purple stuff injected directly into him with a huge dosage in the last episode but we didn't get to see him do anything impressive with it. Still a minor nitpick in a really strong show.

It just occurred to me that this is probably a metaphor
for how the longer an abuser fucks with their victim, the more they seem to be like some unstoppable force and the greater inertia the victim suffers, but in the end, the abuser is still just a person, vulnerable to skull crushing or whatever injury the same as anyone else.

Evilkazz

Banned
for how the longer an abuser fucks with their victim, the more they seem to be like some unstoppable force and the greater inertia the victim suffers, but in the end, the abuser is still just a person, vulnerable to skull crushing or whatever injury the same as anyone else.

Bit too much of a stretch for me. But I can understand the logic.
Still felt at least a little anticlimactic given the lead up.

guek

Banned
This show made me once again question binging serialized dramas and how it effects the viewing experience. It can both help and hurt but in the case of both DD and this show, I think it cheapens a lot of the tension between episodes.

Still felt at least a little anticlimactic given the lead up.

Yeah, I get it. I think the show did a lot of things right in terms of abuser/victim relationships and relationship power dynamics, sexism, etc., but it doesn't all come together as well as it could. There's good ideas in it and some good execution, but there are other places where it just stumbles.

I have to wonder if using the MCU in this way actually hamstrung it a bit, because they would have to keep certain universe rules/powersets/etc. within a level of consistency, whereas if this was a totally standalone story, that could all have been changed no problem whatsoever to best serve the plot and themes.

Evilkazz

Banned
I have to wonder if using the MCU in this way actually hamstrung it a bit, because they would have to keep certain universe rules/powersets/etc. within a level of consistency, whereas if this was a totally standalone story, that could all have been changed no problem whatsoever to best serve the plot and themes.

I guess they're waiting for the Defenders to start to truly introduce larger ties with the greater MCU. Hell I bet coulson will probably appear in the defenders. I'd hope some villians or at least thier actions carry over but I doubt anything that happens in these netflix shows will carry over into the larger movies.

Goodstyle

Episode 8 was fucking incredible, probably one of the best episodes of television I've seen all year.

Seriously, I would watch an entirely separate show of Jessica and Kilgrave travelling the world solving people's problems, and using their powers for good. A sociopath who eventually learns to do the right thing, and a woman who has sold her own life out to help people, even while she hates herself for it. I'm thinking up so many amazing plots as we speak... damn, would this show be god damn amazing.

Episode 8 was fucking incredible, probably one of the best episodes of television I've seen all year.

Seriously, I would watch an entirely separate show of Jessica and Kilgrave travelling the world solving people's problems, and using their powers for good. A sociopath who eventually learns to do the right thing, and a woman who has sold her own life out to help people, even while she hates herself for it. I'm thinking up so many amazing plots as we speak... damn, would this show be god damn amazing.

Hahaha. It wouldn't fit into the themes they wanted to show off here specifically, but I would also totally watch that.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Gonna cross-post this in the spoiler thread but (last episode spoilers)
Jess said Trish had an "iron will," am I nuts to think that's a sly hint that they're gonna gender-bend Iron Fist and make the show about her?

ryan299

This show is just stupid. Falls to the same old tv show tropes.
Always a way for Killgrave to get away.
Just stupid.

Finished episode 7. It's sort of aggravating that, even knowing Kilgrave isn't going to mind control her, JJ doesn't just falcon punch him to death and save everyone a lot of trouble. I get that she thinks she needs to keep him alive to save Hope, but she was all willing to
take the rap for all the murders and get sent to prison, somehow thinking things would fall into place after that
but can't put her trust in just killing this dude and letting it get sorted out later?

I just finished episode 7, and this show is driving me crazy. I'd say I love about half of it and am bored with the other half. It certainly isn't as good as Daredevil.

A little disappointed, but then there moments like (ep 7)
the police station scene
that really stand out.

Tomita

Yeah, I think the
anti-climaticness of it all
was the point. Specifically,
how Kilgrave has such power over everyone, and yet he's still just as physically vulnerable as any other normal human, and is just taken out by the snap of the neck. At the same time...yeah, I dunno, it's still sort of off? I feel like if this happened in the comic, where the whole Kilgrave thing only occurs in the last part of Alias, it would have been fine, but when the show pretty much obsesses over him the entire time, it doesn't work as well. It sucks, because I really do like the idea of it... In the end, the ending doesn't bug me. I can just notice the flaws in it.

Yeah, I think the
anti-climaticness of it all
was the point. Specifically,
how Kilgrave has such power over everyone, and yet he's still just as physically vulnerable as any other normal human, and is just taken out by the snap of the neck. At the same time...yeah, I dunno, it's still sort of off?

This is pretty much where I come down on a lot of the show. I get the themes they're going for, I appreciate them, and some of them are done right, but some of them just don't quite fit together as snugly as they should.

I feel like if this happened in the comic, where the whole Kilgrave thing only occurs in the last part of Alias, it would have been fine, but when the show pretty much obsesses over him the entire time, it doesn't work as well.

I haven't read the comic, but I generally agree with this, too. It feels like a lot of what goes into the themes that doesn't work in the show is actually fine per se, it's just that the framing and pacing are not serving their purpose of making the rest fully cohesive.

Top Bottom