• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

r1chard

For the people who have read the Jessica Jones comics, is the characterization of her on the show on point?
Yes, the characterisation is great, but I am really sad they couldn't go Full Marvel with the show.

comic spoilers:
no Cap, no Daredevil or even Matt Murdock, no super-hero attempt past with team photos, ...
I missed all that :-(

Was an OK procedural show with kinda interesting overall plot, and a pretty fantastic character (and sister) in the lead.

Episode 13 and this whole
Killgrave makes anyone do anything and Jessica always hesitates to kill him thing is getting so boring, they needed some kind of additional conflict or villains in this show, this wore very thin and is about to disintegrate for me.

Edit:

Ok, so they addressed my problem when
she snaps his neck. if he's not really dead i will stop watching this show

He can't do that. In fact I think he (or someone else) may have mentioned it in the show. However, he can erase all evidence of himself from the system so they have no evidence to support their claims of mind control... which is what he did.
but the testimony of the 50 or so people at a police precinct wouldn't be compelling enough evidence?
Post ep 8 spoilers
They explain his mind control more as an intense desire to do something rather than straight up being used as a puppet. It's why Kilgrave needs to be precise with his words because his victim also interpret it for themselves. Clemmons kinda explains that he realises it wasn't really a prank but chooses to believe it to ignore reality. This is why he blows off Jessica till she says she'll give Kilgrave his address.

The best thing Kilgrave can do is erase records of his presence (CCTV, written documentation, tangible stuff), but when someone says they saw him, there isn't much to go on other than "a guy with a British accent and a suit."

This is how Hope's parents found out about Jessica in the first place, but Jessica had to be specific in asking them "who sent you?" and "can you describe him to me?" to actually jog their memory and really think about it.

Simpson was told to kill Trish, and Jessica convinced him she's dead. But when Simpson was out of Kilgrave's control, he had this feeling she was dead and he needed to look into it.

Basically, Kilgrave can't erase memories, but he can tell people to "forget" about him, in the sense that he becomes a person in passing (just another face in a crowded place), whose memory of you'd just leave in the back of your mind.

He just told them
to laugh about it like a joke. He did not influence their mind or memory at all. People convince themselves. "Everybody laughed about it, so it must have been a prank or something funny"

alright so what I am confused about is that since at the time, his power only lasted for "12 hours", once that time had passed, shouldn't everyone that had been at the precinct had come to their senses and realized what imminent danger they were in half a day ago? Kilgrave told them to laugh it off, but he doesn't have the power to make them forget about it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Episode 13 and this whole
Killgrave makes anyone do anything and Jessica always hesitates to kill him thing is getting so boring, they needed some kind of additional conflict or villains in this show, this wore very thin and is about to disintegrate for me.

Edit:

Ok, so they addressed my problem when
she snaps his neck. if he's not really dead i will stop watching this show

It reminds me of Death Note in that way. In that comic
if the cops just went ahead and killed that kid everything would be solved.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
alright so what I am confused about is that since at the time, his power only lasted for "12 hours", once that time had passed, shouldn't everyone that had been at the precinct had come to their senses and realized what imminent danger they were in half a day ago? Kilgrave told them to laugh it off, but he doesn't have the power to make them forget about it.

He doesn't control memories past the 12 hours, but memories written during those 12 hours sort of perpetuate themselves.

You can also apply it to the domestic abuse theme that they use throughout the series. You leave the immediate control of the abuser, but the abuser's influence still lingers indirectly.

He doesn't control memories past the 12 hours, but memories written during those 12 hours sort of perpetuate themselves.

You can also apply it to the domestic abuse theme that they use throughout the series. You leave the immediate control of the abuser, but the abuser's influence still lingers indirectly.
well the other thing with that is that
he didn't give any further commands to the people in the precinct passed the "after 30 seconds just think it's all a joke".

maybe I'm reaching here and I probably am but I feel like other than barty crouch jr's portrayal, the villain didn't come off as all that compelling even though he was very clearly and seriously a threat.

Joni

I'm up to episode 8 and found this very clever/amusing:

Jessica accuses Killgrave of raping her and he says "How am I supposed to know if you're doing it because you want or because I told you to?" i.e. poor guy, he can't say "suck my dick" in the moment. Don't get me wrong...rape is bad, sad for Jessica, but an interesting Killgrave problem.

That was one of the strongest moments of the show. Tennant made him relatable and sympathetic at that point. It is one of the few moments in the show any character convinces you to feel sorry, and it is the villain in a rant.

That was one of the strongest moments of the show. Tennant made him relatable and sympathetic at that point. It is one of the few moments in the show any character convinces you to feel sorry, and it is the villain in a rant.

Naw. He only gets interesting when he
starts the hero gig
. Becomes a giant blunder again after.

KarmaCow

(post episode 8 spoilers)
Except
it's bullshit. He struggles to speak precisely because he can just actually control people but he's using that as an excuse. There is no time in the show where after being given a command that the victim's body language (or actual words) doesn't indicate this is not something they want to do. Kilgrave doesn't care about what other people want, he only cares that they do what he wants. At best he doesn't take pleasure in torturing people who don't bother him, but if someone does inconvenience him like needing to go to the bathroom or wanting to blink, then he will just control them. He is a monster that relishes in manipulating people to suit his desires and that bit was another attempt to get Jessica on his side since he can't actually control her.

Joni

Except
it's bullshit. He struggles to speak precisely because he can just actually control people but he's using that as an excuse. There is no time in the show where after being given a command that the victim's body language (or actual words) doesn't indicate this is not something they want to do. Kilgrave doesn't care about what other people want, he only cares that they do what he wants. At best he doesn't take pleasure in torturing people who don't bother him, but if someone does inconvenience him like needing to go to the bathroom or wanting to blink, then he will just control them. He is a monster that relishes in manipulating people to suit his desires and that bit was another attempt to get Jessica on his side since he can't actually control her.

At the same time, he only becomes that mess after years of not being able to speak without everybody following his command. He doesn't care anymore now, but think of the impact it would have on his first love, on his formative years.

Satch

Banned
Girl i just started this today and this one girl is named Patsy Walker... As in
HELLCAT???
or is it just a red herring

At the same time, he only becomes that mess after years of not being able to speak without everybody following his command. He doesn't care anymore now, but think of the impact it would have on his first love, on his formative years.
Comic SPOILERS
There's a storyline where he loves somebody for years under his control, even has a kid with her, but eventually stops using his power to see if shed still care for him.

She doesn't.

KarmaCow

Oh I get it, that could have been an interesting way to take Kilgrave as a character and they set that up in the first part of episode 8 with Jessica goes to Trish to ask if she should try to teach him to be the hero she could never be but that's not actually how Kilgrave actually feels. I'm not necessarily really disagreeing with your original post. That bit where he's trying to garner sympathy kinda works in the moment at first glance and it's great but when it's revealed that he couldn't actually control Jessica, it puts the whole episode in a new light that makes it even more twisted, which is even better.

I don't get it either. Is that supposed to be good or bad? I need to know if I should stick with the show.
Or watch it and develop an opinion for yourself?

Seems I loved this show more than most of the people here. I was amazed at how much they did without relying on CGI so much. The props department was spot on with this show.

Tomita

Episode 9 was pretty damn good...I had a scare with
Trish,thank god the gun was empty,jesus lol

Lots of people seem to say the rest of the episodes are bad...I will try and finish it today,hopefully it holds up,because I like it,not as much as DD but I hope we get a second season...I think Ritter is good in this.

The gun wasn't empty, it was just jammed. Later on she tries to jam a bullet through her skull, and Jessica has to put it in her mouth to make her able to stop. Poor Trish...

I rather enjoyed this show. After finishing it I kinda wanna have a binge rewatch of Daredevil, haha. I have a question about Trish, though. Spoiler tags just in case:
I don't really know much about Hellcat, and the preview for the new comic of hers coming out just seemed okay, but I really liked "Trish" in this show. I realize there are differences, like the Mom and other backstory details, but...just how different are their personalities? I'd be willing to try the new Hellcat comic if Patsy will be similar in any way. The previews kinda came across as "lol girly hijinks!" to me, which is totally fine, but not my thing... Same reason why I don't read the current Batgirl run.

sappyday

Finished it.

It started out good, ended up all over the place. The show would of really benefited with less episodes. Too much filler and the overall plot point was dragged on. Funny enough that David Tennant was in this because I feel this would work more as a BBC show (for obvious reasons it can't be). Speaking of David Tennant, he was the best thing about the show bar none. The best villain in the MCU so far (not hard competition with the exception of Fisk) and made up for some of the drag later in the season. Jessica herself was okay. Still feel as though Ritter was a miscast. Her character was on repetition throughout so she became boring after a while. Then you have the side characters who are largely forgettable or need some way to be conveniently into the drama. The only other character that was good was Cage but that's sort of cheating since he's getting his own show.

Overall, this is the only show I can think of where I want to see it remade (using David Tennant) before seeing a season 2. I don't know if they confirmed a season 2 yet but I hope it doesn't get one. Her character is done and her part now is to just be there when The Defenders are ready to go.

AniHawk

Finished it.

It started out good, ended up all over the place. The show would of really benefited with less episodes. Too much filler and the overall plot point was dragged on. Funny enough that David Tennant was in this because I feel this would work more as a BBC show (for obvious reasons it can't be). Speaking of David Tennant, he was the best thing about the show bar none. The best villain in the MCU so far (not hard competition with the exception of Fisk) and made up for some of the drag later in the season. Jessica herself was okay. Still feel as though Ritter was a miscast. Her character was on repetition throughout so she became boring after a while. Then you have the side characters who are largely forgettable or need some way to be conveniently into the drama. The only other character that was good was Cage but that's sort of cheating since he's getting his own show.

Overall, this is the only show I can think of where I want to see it remade (using David Tennant) before seeing a season 2. I don't know if they confirmed a season 2 yet but I hope it doesn't get one. Her character is done and her part now is to just be there when The Defenders are ready to go.

i think the show falls apart during episode 6. kilgrave's motivations aren't necessarily bad, but it's the first time the show tries to offer the viewer something interesting
(making kilgrave come after her while she's in a supermax prison)
only to take it away. this happens twice more:
once with him maybe becoming 'tamed' in a sense, and later with the continued attempt to expose his powers and bring him to justice through the courts.
unfortunately, the show just kind of shrugs its shoulders at any sort of interesting challenge or conflict and goes straight for
why not have super strong jessica jones who is immune to his effects just straight up murder him?
like yeah, that's what people were telling her to do for a long time. she doesn't because she makes it clear it's the easy way out. then she does it and it's boring because it's the easy way out.

Froli

Unfortunately, all of you are wrong. Jessica Jones tv series has no flaws according to GAMEPROFF.

I dont see any flaws. Liked it more then DD, too.

hO5eate.jpg

eaNf24Y.png

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. Am I accused of beeing a fanboy, because I like a show that some people dont like as much as another? I dont get it.

And hey, if you want your shit-tier Production Threads with zero information in the first post, you can have them. But I thought people liked organized stuff.

Rosur

Finished it. The finale was so anti-climactic. It was alright overall.

Yea finale was kinda meh due to the fact
they killed Killgrave too easily (though expect he's not fully dead (due to those pills and will be brought back as IGH will want to keep its investment intact) as too good a villain to die completely. Also I wonder if we will see those pills pop up in other MCU TV/ Films

Overall though I liked it more than Daredevil and liked how they linked it to it.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Yea finale was kinda meh due to the fact
they killed Killgrave too easily (though expect he's not fully dead (due to those pills and will be brought back as IGH will want to keep its investment intact) as too good a villain to die completely. Also I wonder if we will see those pills pop up in other MCU TV/ Films

Overall though I liked it more than Daredevil and liked how they linked it to it.

Unless I missed something I don't think Kilgrave
had anything to do with IGH. He didn't swallow their pills and for all we know IGH might not even be aware of Kilgrave unless Simpson told them about him. So I don't know what you mean by calling Kilgrave their investment. Also, bringing the same character back from the dead twice would be a very cheap move.

TheOddOne

Unfortunately, all of you are wrong. Jessica Jones tv series has no flaws according to GAMEPROFF.
I'm going to highlight Cornballer's great advice when things like this happen (albeit a bit tweaked for relevance):
Hey folks, just a gentle reminder that this is a television OT, and as such, is meant for discussing S1 of Jessica Jones. If you disagree with another poster, your options are to either provide a counterargument to their points or to ignore them. Please do not engage in personal attacks, metacommentary, and sniping as it's disruptive to the thread.

If you do see issues that need to be addressed, such as overt trolling, personal attacks, or anything else, please contact moderation via PM and we'll take a look at it. Please enjoy the show and the discussion in this thread by keeping it focused on the content on screen and supplementary material. Let's try to keep the thread on track. Thank you.

Rosur

Unless I missed something I don't think Kilgrave
had anything to do with IGH. He didn't swallow their pills and for all we know IGH might not even be aware of Kilgrave unless Simpson told them about him. So I don't know what you mean by calling Kilgrave their investment. Also, bringing the same character back from the dead twice would be a very cheap move.

Thought it was said that IGH backed his dads research on Kilgrave and the other kids (might of miss heard this though)

i'm on episode 7 and i don't want to rave but GODDAMN David Tennant Is so damn good. I Mean the man is so on point in that Plum Suit. SOOO good. easily outshines everyone else twice over.

Get this man on the phone stat Feige!

lol brett mahoney in episode 7

Finished episode 9 last night, and it almost made me lose interest in the show until the ending. Jessica is starting to grate on my nerves a bit with her poor planning, and I just can't take Simpson's acting. But Tennant is my favorite actor on the show. I love the fact that they are going deep into Kilgrave's origin,
but I thought bringing his parents into the chamber was pretty dumb even if the shock trap didn't work. I'm also not feeling the divorce story line with Wendy and Jeri.

I've got 4 more episodes to go, but I still find Daredevil to be a much better show at this point.

Finished episode 8, this show has lost a bit of steam mane. supporting actors are trash, I don't care that patsy is getting her snatch ate out by the cardboard man.

And whats with the Metlife building here and in daredevil? thats where avengers tower is supposed to be,and if you dont have money for the CGI then avoid showing it, jeph loeb must not care.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Finished 11 last night. Didn't outright hate 10 like people here made me expect, but man Robyn is insufferable with every scene she's in. She adds nothing of value beyond
the obvious guilt in episode 7. If she had died with 10, I wouldn't have felt a thing.

Anyways, he introduction of Nuke was a fun wrinkle. Trish beating the shit out of him was pretty rad and presumably the start of her journey and desire to be a superhero. Also Jessica throwing Trish's psycho mom across the room was really damn satisfying. Seriously, fuck her.

I'm glad the divorce subplot went somewhere because it was feeling increasingly unnecessary as it went along. The "death by 1000 cuts" sequence was nice and twisted. All this would presumably give us a new starting place for Hogarth in Iron Fist, presumably, but who knows.

Anyways, I have a rough weekend ahead of me, but hopefully Sunday I can sit down and watch the remaining episodes.

duckroll

Finished episode 8. The Jessica/Kilgrave stuff was really great. I love the awkward tension and the exploration of the psychological impact Kilgrave has on Jessica, along with how she evaluates her options at this point. Unfortunately parts of the episode are tainted by how stupid and nonsensical the supporting characters are written.
The entire Simpson arc is balls to the wall dumb. First with him tackling Jessica (Okay, if she WAS under Kilgrave's plan, what would his plan be? To get his ass kicked and die?), then the entire bomb thing, and then him getting his homies together for a big takedown without consulting anyone else in the know. Just... stupid. Glad he's fucking dead. That wasn't even a "oh shit" moment, it was just a "finally, thank god he's off the show" moment.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Finished episode 8. The Jessica/Kilgrave stuff was really great. I love the awkward tension and the exploration of the psychological impact Kilgrave has on Jessica, along with how she evaluates her options at this point. Unfortunately parts of the episode are tainted by how stupid and nonsensical the supporting characters are written.
The entire Simpson arc is balls to the wall dumb. First with him tackling Jessica (Okay, if she WAS under Kilgrave's plan, what would his plan be? To get his ass kicked and die?), then the entire bomb thing, and then him getting his homies together for a big takedown without consulting anyone else in the know. Just... stupid. Glad he's fucking dead. That wasn't even a "oh shit" moment, it was just a "finally, thank god he's off the show" moment.
Not sure if I understood you correctly, but Nuke is not dead

Really liking the show but the action/fight scenes look horrible. Everytime Jessica punches (or pushes) someone it looks really badly edited. And the fight scene with Luke and Jessica in the
weed warehouse
was the worst. I don't know what is up, it doesn't seem like a budget problem, and I don't remember DD being this bad.

Top Bottom