• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

Jetman

About 5 or 6 episodes in. Really, really digging the show so far. A lot more than I thought I would. These Netflix Marvel shows have some amazing opening credits too, damn.

And Luke Cage is cool and all, but I don't need to hear him say "Sweet Christmas" anymore. He's said it at least twice, and that should be more of a one-time deal phrase, lol.

eastx

I finally got to episode 10 tonight. I like the show on the whole, but wow, I agree with everyone else here on that one. Hopefully the last few will be more enjoyable.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I just finished, finally. I'll want to examine my thoughts more before I post, but overall, I really really liked it, though it obviously isn't without its down beats.

In regards to Daredevil, I think that Daredevil was better directed, but JJ had the better story to tell. Both had their successes and failures, but ultimately I think they did a largely solid job.

Genuinely curious who's going to be the villain next season,
will it just be IGH and Nuke? That's not very exciting.
JJ never had a big villain gallery though.

FeD.nL

I'm now up to episode 8 and I have to say Ritter's performance has been pretty underwhelming. I really thought she would nail this but she's very uneven, and at times I get the feeling they should have casted someone else. It's especially apparent when she shares a scene with Tennant who carries her through it. Hopefully she improves by the end of it all.

I'm now up to episode 8 and I have to say Ritter's performance has been pretty underwhelming. I really thought she would nail this but she's very uneven, and at times I get the feeling they should have casted someone else. It's especially apparent when she shares a scene with Tennant who carries her through it. Hopefully she improves by the end of it all.

it's the worst when she has fits of rage and starts throwing stuff. it's like a little kid's temper tantrum lol. she kinda sucks at the dramatic parts but I think she's really nailed the sarcastic wit at least.

DKehoe

they didn't really explain how jessica gained immunity to his mind control. unless i missed something.

My interpretation was that
since its supposedly a virus, Jessica, probably being the person in the world who has been controlled by him the most, eventually built up a tolerance and the instruction to kill Reva was something she was so reluctant to do that it served as the breaking point.
But that's just me speculating.

I was so disappointed in the final scene that
Jessica didn't rip out his tongue or completely crush his jaw. It would've allowed for Tennant to stay alive and possibly show up later, but also torture and finish his character. Allow Jones to step back from the edge and not have to kill him, but still in a way end him.

I'll post my full thoughts on the series in a day or two, but I really liked it. I'm not surprised at the amount of backlash on GAF. I'm not yet sure if I can say whether or not this was a better show than Daredevil, but it's certainly a more important one.

I'm 7 episodes in and I'm not really liking this show. The acting is pretty terrible, especially Ritter. I liked her in Breaking Bad but she's just not very good in this. I do like Mike Colter though so maybe the Luke Cage series will be better. I'll try to finish this but definitely not a show I would recommend to others.

I hated this show. Jessica Jones is unlikeable. I agree with Luke Cage's assessment that she really is a piece of shit.

Also, this show is full of the thing I like least, supposedly smart people doing incredibly stupid things.

The pacing of the series felt off. It felt like there should have been 5 less episodes than there were. Most of the show felt like filler. Thumbs down.

MrBadger

Well, that was decent. After reading a few other impressions I'm inclined to agree that it was perhaps stretched too thin. The series definitely peaked for me at
the scene when Jessica steps into the police station to see all the cops pointing guns at each other.

Between David Tennant's acting and all the crazy, messed up situations he'd orchestrate for Jessica to discover, Kilgrave was by far the best part.
I doubt the next series will be as good without him.

just finished watching the show. I liked it enough to watch the whole season, which is something I rarely do because I lose interest very quickly, then episode
came along and the show took a nose dive.
Tennat was great as kilgrave and I liked Ritter's performance but
trish and blond cop dude were terrible and I hope he is not the main villain in the next season

Blader

I finished episode 12 last night, so one more to go. While I generally like the series, I have to wonder what the fuck some of those early reviewers were smoking. "Marvel's prestige show"? "An awards contender"? :lol

I finished episode 12 last night, so one more to go. While I generally like the series, I have to wonder what the fuck some of those early reviewers were smoking. "Marvel's prestige show"? "An awards contender"? :lol

Sucked into Marvels's hype vortex I guess.

Sulik2

I'm think the press was only prescreened on the first six episodes which were heads and tails above the rest of the season.

Blader

I'm think the press was only prescreened on the first six episodes which were heads and tails above the rest of the season.

Yeah, but even in those first seven you still get a lot of wonky acting choices by Ritter and meandering subplots. Also, everything to do with Simpson.

The plotting gets weird in the back half, but I feel like many of the show's issues are still pretty present in that front half too.

Lmao I forgot about the wording of those reviews, it's baffling

Simpson the Worst TV character of the year btw, can't stand this corny dude

Layell

My interpretation was that
since its supposedly a virus, Jessica, probably being the person in the world who has been controlled by him the most, eventually built up a tolerance and the instruction to kill Reva was something she was so reluctant to do that it served as the breaking point.
But that's just me speculating.

I would think
his parents would have had a super immunity if that were the case. I think it has more to do with the vague answer, even though I hate that is the reason.

Mariolee

I thought it was a combo of her long stay with him and her superpowers.

But they tried to build an antidote from her blood and it didn't work. Maybe there's something else to this. For example, I thought her cutting her ear slightly was going to be important in how she stops following Kilgrave's orders but I guess it wasn't.

I feel like Simpson might have been better if
They had introduced that pill subplot early on and built up to it by slowly pushing him off the deep end rather than dropping it on us in the last third of the show.

DKehoe

I would think
his parents would have had a super immunity if that were the case. I think it has more to do with the vague answer, even though I hate that is the reason.

Yeh, I did consider that but it was the best I could think of.
Although maybe by the time he was an adult and hanging out with Jessica he was using his power much more frequently. Was it said how long Jessica was with him and how long his parents were around him while his power was active before they got away?

See,
this is why they needed to do a better job of explaining this.

Perhaps, perhaps not. I don't mind not knowing for sure what caused it. As it was
I didn't like how tidy and exact the Virus stuff was after his dad became involved.

I like a bit of ambiguity in my fiction, particularly when it's not the main point of the story.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Watched the first episode.

I'm just going to say that I hope this gets better, because so far my man Luke is the only saving grace of this show.

And dear God, do they beat the STEAMY SAXO/WHISKEY DRINKING BECAUSE THIS IS A NOIR SHOW, YOU KNOW thing over our heads.

It really feels like some Agents of SHIELD-like mediocrity wrapped in highly apologetic (if not highly cynical) adult robes.

I'm just going to say that I hope this gets better, because so far my man Luke is the only saving grace of this show.

And dear God, do they beat the STEAMY SAXO/WHISKEY DRINKING BECAUSE THIS IS A NOIR SHOW, YOU KNOW thing over our heads.

It really feels like some Agents of SHIELD-like mediocrity wrapped in highly apologetic (if not highly cynical) adult robes.
Peaks at episode 8 and goes down from there.

It's not something you'll take kindly to :p

Krakn3Dfx

I just saw the first episode, did she wipe her ass or not? is all I was thinking about the entire time. Jesus. I will not be okay until they show her take a shower now.

Spoilers:

She never showers, and in fact other people use her shower more than she does over the course of the season.

Jarmel

Banned

Bail out. The early episodes are by far the best.

I feel like Simpson might have been better if
They had introduced that pill subplot early on and built up to it by slowly pushing him off the deep end rather than dropping it on us in the last third of the show.

That is correct.

Full season:
Does it bother anyone else how completely right Simpson was from the get-go? Literally everything would have been better had he just shot him when he had the chance. "Oh sorry, Jessica, I must have mixed up the anesthetic dart with the poison dart, my bad."

Spoilers:

She never showers, and in fact other people use her shower more than she does over the course of the season.

She must smell terrible.

Jarmel

Banned
Full season:
Does it bother anyone else how completely right Simpson was from the get-go? Literally everything would have been better had he just shot him when he had the chance. "Oh sorry, Jessica, I must have mixed up the anesthetic dart with the poison dart, my bad."

Sort of but I guess you can chalk it up to Jessica being a dumbass.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The last three episodes really, really dragged on and on. By the time the season was over I was glad it had finally ended.

Good show but damn that was kinda painful.

Jayof9s

Full season:

I think it would bother me more if it wasn't such a common trope for shows/movies/etc. to work out that way.

Edit: season spoilers in tags for the sensitive:
In general, I think it just got stretched out far too long and could have benefited from wrapping up the big-bad earlier. Or even having him come on the scene later. As it was, 10+ episodes of trying to thwart Kilgrave just got groan worthy when some new plot device reset all the progress on stopping him every other episode.

guek

Banned
Well really everyone. Everyone on this show was as stupid as possible all the time.

Not really.

Even Jessica's insistance on keeping Kilgrave alive wasn't particularly stupid, it just dragged on for way too long. She needed him to exonerate Hope, it only feels stupid after the fact once Hope commits suicide.

Jarmel

Banned
Not really.

Even Jessica's insistance on keeping Kilgrave alive wasn't particularly stupid, it just dragged on for way too long. She needed him to exonerate Hope, it only feels stupid after the fact once Hope commits suicide.

Even before then, Killgrave was racking up a big body count.

Jessica seemed to identify personally with Hope and the abuse she went through so her being driven to get Hope out of jail and to safety makes a lot of sense. I thought that was actually a clever move by the writers to explain why Jessica couldn't kill him.

Yeh, I did consider that but it was the best I could think of.
Although maybe by the time he was an adult and hanging out with Jessica he was using his power much more frequently. Was it said how long Jessica was with him and how long his parents were around him while his power was active before they got away?

It's too bad Marvel couldn't use the reason in the comics where
Jean Grey placed a psychic block on Jessica's subconscious to prevent her from being mind controlled anymore.

Of course, they could easily replace
Jean Grey
with someone like
Scarlet Witch
depending on how deep they want to get with her early comic relationship with SHIELD and the Avengers.

Full season:

She must smell terrible.

Occurred to me repeatedly, especially after (Ep 10):
Hope kills herself. Jessica spends a huge amount of effort to keep him alive so that they can prove Hope innocent, and as a result many, many more people die.

I don't know if it bothers me, but it should be a huge point for follow-up in any other JJ-related stuff that her need to exonerate Hope (and by extension, herself) led to more death. That ought to be good for at least another solid year of self-destructive drinking.

Fuchsdh

Full season:

She must smell terrible.

My problem was that when Simpson and Jessica check out the safe house and they're saying what they think of each other through the soundproof glass (a moment I liked), Jessica's judgment of Simpson is completely off the mark of how he's portrayed. He quite rightly sees how big a threat Kilgrave is, and doesn't want to wait on the off-chance Hope can be saved to stop this guy. But there's nothing about how he's some power-mad dude who Knows best like Jessica marks him. It's like Jessica's reading ahead in the script to see how he randomly turns into ex-special forces roid dude, which wasn't really present in his initial characterization.

I guess the issue is less with where Simpson ended up and more where he started. The turn struck me as bizarre (especially
killing the cop. I get he's doped up on drugs but it still struck me as incredibly pointless given his goal. Same with fixating on killing Jessica.

Jarmel

Banned
My problem was that when Simpson and Jessica check out the safe house and they're saying what they think of each other through the soundproof glass (a moment I liked), Jessica's judgment of Simpson is completely off the mark of how he's portrayed. He quite rightly sees how big a threat Kilgrave is, and doesn't want to wait on the off-chance Hope can be saved to stop this guy. But there's nothing about how he's some power-mad dude who Knows best like Jessica marks him. It's like Jessica's reading ahead in the script to see how he randomly turns into ex-special forces roid dude, which wasn't really present in his initial characterization.

I guess the issue is less with where Simpson ended up and more where he started. The turn struck me as bizarre (especially
killing the cop. I get he's doped up on drugs but it still struck me as incredibly pointless given his goal. Same with fixating on killing Jessica.

It's bad writing, especially the stuff in episode 10 with Simpson.

It's bad writing, especially the stuff in episode 10 with Simpson.

Disagree. Full Series*
He does have power issues even before the pills come into play. If you remember, even after he's shown that Trish is ok and Jessica tells him she'll be safe, he absolutely refuses to accept that Trish could possibly be safe if he isn't the one to protect her in some manner and he uses the excuse of protecting her to make himself feel better initially. Then there's his refusal to concede control/leadership of the plan to Jessica. Only *he* knows what's best. Only *he* can be in charge to stop Kilgrave. Only *his* say on whether Kilgrave is capture or killed matters. It only gets worse once he's on the red.. the effect of which amplifies his focus to the extent that he no longer sees reason. Anyone who *could* stand in the way of his goal, *must* be removed, permanently.

Seemed like a very clear progression to me.

Top Bottom