• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

AMUSIX

I wonder how many Marvel nerds will feel conflicted about the fact that they have to hate this because of their MRA leanings.

what the fuck is this? people who like Marvel movies support the MRA bullshit? Or is this just based on a few loud voices on some message board somewhere?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
what the fuck is this? people who like Marvel movies support the MRA bullshit? Or is this just based on a few loud voices on some message board somewhere?
I should have been more precise, I meant the people who are both MRA and Marvel fans.

Like those Puppy Dog people (or whatever they are called) who ruined the Hugos this year;

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This Week in Marvel Podcast #211.5 - Marvel's Jessica Jones Cast & Crew
Krysten Ritter, David Tennant, Carrie-Anne Moss, Rachael Taylor, Melissa Rosenberg and other cast and crew from "Marvel's Jessica Jones" on Netflix join Blake for a very special podcast.
Mp3
iTunes

Btw, Krysten Ritter was also a guest on episode 200.5 back in September, she spoke more in that one about her experience filming the show:

#200.5 - Clark Gregg, Krysten Ritter, Will Friedle, Agent Carter EPs

Slate:
It’s dark, funny, edgy, spooky, and through the first seven episodes, there’s barely a whiff of capes or costumes. The second thing that jumps out is that it’s really, really good.

So fucking hype for this show. Might be the most interesting marvel project.

TheOddOne

- Rolling Stone: Krysten Ritter: The Woman Behind TV's Badass 'Jessica Jones'.
Finally, I just said, 'Okay, fiiiine, I'll go and audition…but I'll never get it.' When you go to Marvel, they lock you in a room with the scripts; they really are that secretive. But what they gave me to read was great — and when I heard Melissa Rosenberg was the showrunner, I thought: They are serious about this. It felt very much like, 'Oh, so you say Marvel doesn't usually do a great job representing women? Well, here ya go!'"
[Rosenberg] "I wanted to create a female superhero like Tony Soprano," she says. "So when I went to talk to the executives at ABC Studios, they paired me with [Head of Television for Marvel] Jeph Loeb. I mentioned the idea to him, and he said 'I think I have something for you.' Then he brought me the Alias books, and it was exactly the kind of character I'd been waiting my whole career to write."
"It's a psychological thriller first, and a superhero show second," she muses. "It's exactly the kind of female-led show I'd watch. And I kick a lot of ass without having to wear a leotard."

MC_Hify

Everyone's trying to describe Jessica Jones with articles and reviews. All you really need is two words "No Bullshit."

mreddie

Leotard?

latest

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Am I right in thinking Netflix shows debut at the same time regardless of region? So in the UK it will be 8am tomorrow?
That's correct, there is a countdown timer in the previous page if you want to know at exactly what time it'll be.

Blader

Is the MCU continuity expected to be light in this show? My girlfriend hasn't seen Daredevil, or really anything since Iron Man, but I'm wondering if she might be able to get into this no problem.

Kalentan

Is the MCU continuity expected to be light in this show? My girlfriend hasn't seen Daredevil, or really anything since Iron Man, but I'm wondering if she might be able to get into this no problem.

I swore I read a preview that actually said the MCU connections are actually more notable than in Daredevil, I think even Civil War connections. I'll try and find the article although it's possible my memory is just mistaking it.

- Verge review:
Jessica Jones, the comics company’s second Netflix series, returns to Daredevil’s dark corner of the Marvel Universe, and things only get bleaker. In a modern twist on film noir, the series follows its title character as she tries to solve a case while dealing with her terrible past. And it’s excellent, just as brutal and uncompromising as its predecessor. But by placing its stellar female cast in this murky underworld and letting them shine in a way Marvel has never done before, it stands head and shoulders above the company’s other marquee properties to become one of the best new shows out this year. Daredevil was great by Marvel standards. Jessica Jones is just great.

It will be a pretty isolated story for the most part

Obviously references are drops to the larger universe but it more closely connects to Daredevil... but thats hardly the focus and the rumored cameo from Matt sounds like it wont be overly disruptive.

This story is about Jessica and looks like it stays that way for the majority of the run.

- NY Times review:
“Jones” is darker, sexier and much more violent than “Veronica Mars,” but from the playful noir style to the mystery-story arc to Ms. Ritter’s wry narration, the comparison (through the seven episodes available to critics) is inescapable. And like “Mars” (and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”), “Jessica Jones” is a show about female heroism, but more so — the four central characters arrayed against the season’s sociopathic male villain are all women.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ

It wont matter , what are you worried about easter eggs? I'm sure they're in there. From the context of the show its based on a mini series that doesn't require you to know everything mentioned.

Kalentan

I do believe one of the references I've heard of towards Agents of Shield is...

Someone asks Jessica if she is one of them? Them being Inhumans.

Which means I believe it takes place at least after Episode 1 of Season 3 of Shield. Since that's when the
President made the announcement about InHumans. (Although I don't think he ever called them InHumans?)

It wont matter , what are you worried about easter eggs? I'm sure they're in there. From the context of the show its based on a mini series that doesn't require you to know everything mentioned.

From the reviews I have read

- The Incident (Battle of New York) is referred
- Various Jokes referencing big characters like the Hulk
- Its in Hells Kitchen. So expect a LOT of the scenery to be familiar to that of Daredevil
- Night Nurse is in this run somewhere
- Matt is rumored to show up in the closer

There are likely more but those are probably being held back or are in episodes 8 and beyond.

Some interesting tidbits

- regarding Trish Walker. Doesnt have any powers yet it seems.. and Rosenberg says its interesting because Trish is more driven and heroic and is jealous of Jessica having powers.

- Clip I posted earlier shows Juke asking is she had a costume in her superhero run lol

I do believe one of the references I've heard of towards Agents of Shield is...

Someone asks Jessica if she is one of them? Them being Inhumans.

Which means I believe it takes place at least after Episode 1 of Season 3 of Shield. Since that's when the
President made the announcement about InHumans. (Although I don't think he ever called them InHumans?)

Not sure where/how you make that leap.

"Them" could mean anything or anyone with powers, whether they're Avengers, Inhumans, whatever. I'm sure MCU will use that to their advantage and retrofit it later, but there was no indication in that bare single word that the dude was thinking of Inhumans specifically.

Thanks to the mod for spoiler tags

I should have put them in sorry

A lot of this info is coming out of reviews so i figured it was ok to share

Kalentan

Not sure where/how you make that leap.

"Them" could mean anything or anyone with powers, whether they're Avengers, Inhumans, whatever. I'm sure MCU will use that to their advantage and retrofit it later, but there was no indication in that bare single word that the dude was thinking of Inhumans specifically.

Considering the country is in a sort of panic after the President announced that there were people with powers appearing, it would be weird if they were referring to something other than inhumans. More so since most MCU stuff takes place when it comes out. So it fits the time frame.

"Them" being anything other than thinking she's inhuman is a bit contrived.

That would be like: "Are you one of them? Oh but don't think I mean one of those powered people the president just told us about. I clearly mean those other them. The rise of a bunch of power people is a really recent event in the MCU. So naturally if the public was aware of this, they would suspect a person that clearly shows inhuman strength would possibly be one of the powered people the President mentioned.

Considering the country is in a sort of panic after the President announced that there were people with powers appearing, it would be weird if they were referring to something other than inhumans. More so since most MCU stuff takes place when it comes out. So it fits the time frame.

That would be like: "Are you one of them? Oh but don't think I mean one of those powered people the president just told us about. I clearly mean those other them.

You're making a lot of assumptions about continuity here.

That would be like: "Are you one of them? Oh but don't think I mean one of those powered people the president just told us about. I clearly mean those other them. The rise of a bunch of power people is a really recent event in the MCU. So naturally if the public was aware of this, they would suspect a person that clearly shows inhuman strength would possibly be one of the powered people the President mentioned.

See this is where things get weird. Jessica Used to be a super hero... when? The 90s? There is a pretty significant GAP in the MCU timeline leading all the way from WW2 Captain America to Late 2000s Post Avengers world.

How did Jessica go about things back then. Did she have friends or a handler? Did she ever interact and Nick Fury and SHIELD? She HAD to of if she was a public Superhero

Kalentan

You're making a lot of assumptions about continuity here.

I don't see why you're having an issue with this. Outside of Captain America First Avenger, everything in the MCU has taken place at the time of release. Granted yes, Daredevil took place in March and not April like it's release. Yet there is nothing to suggest that Jessica Jones takes place well before the Inhuman stuff was announced. All signs point to Jessica Jones taking place in either October or November of 2015.

See this is where things get weird. Jessica Used to be a super hero... when? The 90s? There is a pretty significant GAP in the MCU timeline leading all the way from WW2 Captain America to Late 2000s Post Avengers world.

How did Jessica go about things back then. Did she have friends or a handler? Did she ever interact and Nick Fury and SHIELD? She HAD to of if she was a public Superhero

Yeah that is weird, but it doesn't really conflict with what I'm saying.

Also that is really weird cause it seemed like when Iron Man became a thing, that was the first instance of a Superhero being known to the public that wasn't 60+ years ago. So if she was a superhero in the 90s... Why has no one ever mentioned her?

Pachimari

Jessica Jones origins:
her origin here is not the same as in the comics. At least when it comes to her past. Some article mentioned that.

do we know what time exactly it'll go up?

Top Bottom