• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones |OT| A.K.A. Marvel's A.K.A. Jessica Jones *spoilers for S1*

I don't see why you're having an issue with this. Outside of Captain America First Avenger, everything in the MCU has taken place at the time of release. Granted yes, Daredevil took place in March and not April like it's release. Yet there is nothing to suggest that Jessica Jones takes place well before the Inhuman stuff was announced. All signs point to Jessica Jones taking place in either October or November of 2015.

Yeah that is weird, but it doesn't really conflict with what I'm saying.

Also that is really weird cause it seemed like when Iron Man became a thing, that was the first instance of a Superhero being known to the public that wasn't 60+ years ago. So if she was a superhero in the 90s... Why has no one ever mentioned her?

Naw. Steve Rodgers would technically qulaify as the first right? They you have the stories of Hank Pym fighting in the following wars of the 60s/70s. Agent Carter picks up after WW2 and forms Shield

I just wonder how it all fits together. Hulk Incident happens before Iron Man one. Since the Hulk film with Norton begins when he already fled to Brazil.

Someone out there has to have all this in perspective somewhere.

Jessica Jones origins:
her origin here is not the same as in the comics. At least when it comes to her past. Some article mentioned that.

Yeah thats what exciting going forward

The reviews of the first 7 seem to indicate that the flashbacks are brief and not overly explicit

Makes me wonder in any of the later episodes actually dives into her history as Jewel... because I feel like thats where the bulk of the MCU connections to the larger universe are going to lie. No way she wasnt connected to the bigger picture in Shield's mind back when she was an acting super hero.

Pachimari

Yeah thats what exciting going forward

The reviews of the first 7 seem to indicate that the flashbacks are brief and not overly explicit

Makes me wonder in any of the later episodes actually dives into her history as Jewel... because I feel like thats where the bulk of the MCU connections to the larger universe are going to lie. No way she wasnt connected to the bigger picture in Shield's mind back when she was an acting super hero.
I think you're gonna be disappointed with the whole Jewel past
. An article already talked about it and that's what I took from it.

I think you're gonna be disappointed with the whole Jewel past
. An article already talked about it and that's what I took from it.

You are probably right

It seems like they are more dedicated to isolating certain stories and beats in the MCU to a certain extent

Its just strange since they are building to the near apocalyptic Infinity War. Its clear the creative talent building these shows are less inclined to be bound by MCU continuity. Even Joss Whedon was down on it during the creation of Age of Ultron...

I just want MCU to be fully realized... and I dont mean throwing around characters willy nilly. There needs to be quality control and focus on individual content sure....

But the challenge and promise that the MCU represents is so enticing... and despite the criticisms I feel like the Avengers movies have been decently delivering

Even ANT MAN founda way to deliver an great singular story while also playing its part in being connected and relevant to the larger narrative

I don't see why you're having an issue with this. Outside of Captain America First Avenger, everything in the MCU has taken place at the time of release. Granted yes, Daredevil took place in March and not April like it's release. Yet there is nothing to suggest that Jessica Jones takes place well before the Inhuman stuff was announced. All signs point to Jessica Jones taking place in either October or November of 2015.

Mostly because the Inhumans are fucking stupid. Keep that garbage away from the cool shit.

Mostly because the Inhumans are fucking stupid. Keep that garbage away from the cool shit.

It is tough to reconscile the quality disparity and unique challenges of connecting Network TV, Premium TV (Netflix) and Film

Its probably why they opt to isolate them in many ways (among other obstacles and challenges)

I just hope the continued success allows them to knock down these barriers and give us some suprises that would couldnt dream of happening anywhere else

I said trollish because you were arguing about specifics in the timeline and such when really your argument was actually:

Lol fuck inHumans.

I still contend
there was no intimation in that line, which I saw with my own eyes, in context, that he's talking about anything other than "a hero"

- The Atlantic Review
Marvel’s newest hero, whose eponymous series debuts on Netflix this Friday, might be its most flawed, but she’s also its most fascinating, and her show marks an evolutionary leap forward for the brand’s expansive collection of movies and TV shows, deftly exploring themes of trauma, abuse, and prejudice. It’s taken too long to get here, but Jessica Jones is exactly what the overwhelmingly male Marvel Universe has been crying out for.
- LA Times review
Yes, Jessica Jones (Ritter) is a woman granted extraordinary strength and, apparently, the ability to fly. But it's her superhumanity, rather than her superpowers, that makes the show so riveting. Owing more to Tony Soprano, Jane Tennison and "Orphan Black" than Iron Man, Black Widow and "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," "Jessica Jones" is Marvel's first official foray into the Emmy-tempting world of prestige drama.

- NY Mag: Who Is Jessica Jones? And Should I Watch Her TV Show?

Pachimari

To people wondering how much continuation or how many ties Jessica Jones will have to the rest of the MCU:

Jessica Jones is easily the least homework-requiring Marvel property we’ve seen since, like, the first Iron Man movie in 2008. Even Netflix’s Daredevil — which takes place around the same time and in the same neighborhood as this show — was more closely tied to the rest of the Marvel Cinematic Universe than Jessica Jones.

Source:

kirblar

I always kind of find this idea kind of annoying. While I do feel the MCU could push female characters more... Agents of Shields has a lot of female characters (good ones at that), and Agent Carter is a female-led show.

It just weird that people act like this is Marvel's first attempt at female characters.
TV is generally a much more female-friendly medium than movies are.

Yes, Jessica Jones (Ritter) is a woman granted extraordinary strength and, apparently, the ability to fly. But it's her superhumanity, rather than her superpowers, that makes the show so riveting. Owing more to Tony Soprano, Jane Tennison and "Orphan Black" than Iron Man, Black Widow and "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," "Jessica Jones" is Marvel's first official foray into the Emmy-tempting world of prestige drama.

Damn, son.

I always kind of find this idea kind of annoying. While I do feel the MCU could push female characters more... Agents of Shields has a lot of female characters (good ones at that), and Agent Carter is a female-led show.

It just weird that people act like this is Marvel's first attempt at female characters.

People who write stuff like that probably fail to realize that Marvel has been writing good female heroes for decades. J Jones may end up being the best adaptation of a female Marvel story so far, but its not the only one.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

wowwwwwww

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
It would be hilarious if Jeph Loeb gets to stand on stage receiving an Emmy while Kevin Feige has to watch that year's Oscars from home.

Slayven

Where does Iso-8 actually come from? Never saw this beside in the f2p games

It existed outside the marvel universe in unstable forms, but due to Secret wars and the reboot it now appearing in the Marvel universe in stable forms. It is basically what cosmic cubes and other uber cosmic widgets are made and powered by.

Sheroking

It would be hilarious if Jeph Loeb gets to stand on stage receiving an Emmy while Kevin Feige has to watch that year's Oscars from home.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-26644-1356807410-2.gif

TheOddOne

- Verge: Review: Jessica Jones is the complex (super) heroine we’ve been waiting for.
But the show’s greatest triumph is in exploring how women can be powerful, multi-faceted masters of their fate. Jessica Jones, while nowhere near as bloody as Daredevil, is psychologically brutal, and women largely bear the brunt of that violence. The series delves deeply into
abuse, sexual assault, and rape from the outset
. But no matter what trauma they experience, the women of Jessica Jones are all consistently portrayed as either having control of their lives or working hard to regain it.
Jessica Jones succeeds because it embraces pain as something women triumph over, without ever needing rescue. It’s about time this mindset made it to the big screen — your move, Wonder Woman.
- iO9: Review: Marvel's Jessica Jones Is The Character-Focused Superhero Epic We've Been Waiting For.
Jessica Jones has the smallest scope of any Marvel property, and that was a smart choice. It means that it can focus in on character development, on building out its themes, and on resonating with audiences. It is very tightly-plotted, with a laser-focus on Jessica dealing with Kilgrave. This means that characters learn from previous episodes and make new plans when old ones fail. Not a single moment is wasted.

After years of “dark, gritty” movies featuring angsty characters in unreal situations, it’s amazing to see a story that’s genuinely dark and heavy, but features characters who feel like they could be people you know in real life.
- Mashable: Netflix's 'Jessica Jones' knows how to handle trauma — and the road to recovery.
This show doesn't believe in black and white heroism. While evil surely exists in the form of Kilgrave, the majority of characters are live in shades of gray. Jessica and co. see that the road to Hell really is paved with good intentions, and struggle with what it means to be a hero.

Top Bottom