• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

wildfire

Banned
I got a question.

Only just finished episode 1 no spoilers please.

This takes place after AKA Jessica Jones right?

So why is he on the run and poor?

He seemed pretty decently well off in that show with a bar and shit. And he didn't seem like he was on the run.

Did he not get an insurance payout or something?

Reva's will was back rolling him. With the bar blown up he was out of assets.

jmood88

I got a question.

Only just finished episode 1 no spoilers please.

This takes place after AKA Jessica Jones right?

So why is he on the run and poor?

He seemed pretty decently well off in that show with a bar and shit. And he didn't seem like he was on the run.

Did he not get an insurance payout or something?
The bar was blown up and he had no paperwork because he was trying to make sure that no one found him, so there was no insurance money for him to collect.

I think police were looking for him though (see the hospital scene) since (under the influence of the Purple Man) he attacked cops, Jessica and tore out a car door. Hospital staff also became aware that he is "enhanced".
I don't remember his financial situation anymore, but wasn't the fire due to arsony? I assume maybe his insurance did not pay, at least not before he went on the run.

The bar was blown up and he had no paperwork because he was trying to make sure that no one found him, so there was no insurance money for him to collect.

That makes sense, thanks guys.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Just finished Ep. 6. Damn fine show.

Also, all the references are handled pretty well for the most part.
Something like the Trish Talk was great.

Edit: Ep 7:
And Cottonmouth has Fisk's attorney? Love it.

Anung

Un Rama
Real shame this is 13 episodes. Episode 9 through 11 could have been condensed into one episode and the budget used to not make the finale look like cheap crap.

Yeah, this had the usual problem of being too long, especially when some episodes crept into being over an hour. The whole 13 episodes thing is really hurting these shows.

If I had to rank the shows, it'd go:

1. Daredevil season 1
2. Luke Cage
3. Daredevil season 2
4. Jessica Jones

If I could be more picky about it:

1. First 4 episodes of Daredevil s2
2. Daredevil s1
3. Luke Cage
4. Rest of DD s2
5. Jessica Jones

They aren't padding for the sake of filling space.

They want to expose people to a side of Americana they probably never saw in their lives let alone television.

It's really obvious they are showing off what is the richer experience if being a black or Hispanic from Harlem. But on some level it feels off and not just because they have to work with Marvel lore.

I think there definitely is a lot of padding in all the Marvel shows in order to fill 13 episodes.
It does feel more deliberate here, I'll agree. It's not as artificial as it was in Jessica Jones:
"Oh no, the Purple Man escaped for the 5th time and that police guy is a super soldier..."
I can see that they're giving every scene in Luke Cage a lot of space in order to create a sense of mood and character. And it works to an extant, the cinematography and music are fantastic and it is nice as a foreigner to discover a small slice of american history (I just had to google Dapper Dan).

I generally enjoy this kind of slow-paced storytelling but the showrunners are not making me care enough about Luke Cage and that's why I'm losing interest. I love him in the comics and Colter was great in Jessica Jones but it's hard to root for him here. Misty Knight feels like a much more compelling protagonist. I still like it enough to keep watching, I'm on episode 8, it's just not as riveting as I had hoped.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
SO episode 7 . HOLY SHIT!
From Shades setting things up to the back story with the fucked up childhood's of everyone as well as seeing Mama Maybel and Uncle Pete. That whole situation was fucked and I love how it was all shades of gray. I kind of saw it coming but it was handled very well and pulled off nicely. Mariah losing her shit was fucking Nuts! I mean god DAMN!

iddqd

Well, it took them to reach episode 8 before it started to feel bloated.
Still like the show but its just another vote in the "would have been tighter with less episodes" column.

Big Ep 8 Spoilers as well as my overall thoughts so far
Yeah, that ending was real dumb. The rocket launcher was also pretty meh from episode 3 but seriously, he just shoots Luke in broad daylight and Luke lands in the dumpster truck as it then proceeds to drive away (Driver didn't hear the shot?), like wtf sorry but that has to be one of the dumbest scenes out of all these Netflix TV shows. Top if off with that "twist" reveal.

Other than that and the rocket launcher, I've been really digging the show but yikes. I do think the show has been doing a good job of not having the slow downs both Daredevil and Jessica Jones had so far. Cottonmouth dying was a really good event too. And as much as the show had the whole "someone dies to set the hero on their path' they have been subverting other stereotypical hero stuff. But yes dear god, these shows need to stop being 13 episodes long. It doesn't work as well as they think it does.

Man 8 episodes in, and I still can't get over how great the opening is. The people at Netflix must have a god on employ, their openings on every original show is consistently legendary.

jmood88

These fights scenes are garbo.

This guy is not a good screen fighter at all, probably as bad as Buffy.
Colter seems like he has no idea how to move his body fluidly. It's funny seeing the flashback boxing scenes because that guy is a much better fighter than Cage ends up being once he's older.

Slayven

Colter seems like he has no idea how to move his body fluidly. It's funny seeing the flashback boxing scenes because that guy is a much better fighter than Cage ends up being once he's older.

Why style when no one can hurt you and you can cave their heads in with a literal flick of your wrist

jmood88

Why style when no one can hurt you and you can cave their heads in with a literal flick of your wrist
It's not just about style, I'm talking about how Colter moves in general. I do think that the fight scene direction is related to Cage's power but Colter moves like he's being controlled by a d-pad.

Yeah for me its

Daredevil Season 2
Daredevil Season 1
Luke Cage
Jessica Jones

But there is a large gap between Luke Cage and Jessica Jones while its pretty close to Daredevil

If they wanted good fight scenes they would have cast Michael Jai White as Luke Cage.

I want to live in that alternate reality.

But to be fair, I don't think the lackluster action is all on Colter. The action scenes just aren't properly directed. You can have a slow tank as a hero and still make it exciting, see: Verhoeven's Robocop. Even without his gun, he was still cool.

Night Nurse's super power is to teleport in when a hero is about to give up

I think Rosario Dawson should meet Cavill Superman and Batfleck to teach them a thing or two. She's such a pro at monologues about the nature of heroism at this point.

Roussow

Man, did episode 8 take a turn for the exceptionally silly, I'd say dumb -- but it was ridiculous enough that I'm on board, that last line was something else.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I think Rosario Dawson should meet Cavill Superman and Batfleck to teach them a thing or two. She's such a pro at monologues about the nature of heroism at this point.

I don't think either them would be worthy of her time, honestly. I think Claire would just be disgusted by the both of them before booking herself a ticket straight back to the Marvel Universe.

It's not just about style, I'm talking about how Colter moves in general. I do think that the fight scene direction is related to Cage's power but Colter moves like he's being controlled by a d-pad.
You hit the nail on the head with that last line. He looks stiff and awkward even though he's doing cool shit like tossing fools through walls.

Slayven

Turk is the only TV character i want in the movies

"Man you alien niggas are off the hook, I am going back to Hell's kitchen"

strafer

All done.

Lukes speech at the police station

dhMeAzK.gif

Slayven

Mairah's back story is so telling

Being a sexual abuse victim. Needing to be in control and having always have things clean.

Yeah, this had the usual problem of being too long, especially when some episodes crept into being over an hour. The whole 13 episodes thing is really hurting these shows.

The show literally came out YESTERDAY.

Is it possible that trying to binge through an entire season worth of content in 24 hours might be coloring your perception of what's "too long?"

Top Bottom