• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

strafer

I mean they haven't announced it but its basically guaranteed. All of the Marvel shows on Netflix have been getting multiple seasons.

Plus he will be in The Defenders

Yeah I just looked that up on Mikes IMDB.

So is that like The Avengers but the other side of the coin?

The show literally came out YESTERDAY.

Is it possible that trying to binge through an entire season worth of content in 24 hours might be coloring your perception of what's "too long?"
I dunno, maybe. For Daredevil and JJ, the issue of being too long was still there on my rewatches where I did one episode a day.

Anung

Un Rama

Is it possible that trying to binge through an entire season worth of content in 24 hours might be coloring your perception of what's "too long?"

Eh I'd argue that these Netflix shows are built and paced around people binge watching. I binged watched Daredevil the first time and it had pacing issues and I watched it episodically the second time and it was still 3 episodes too long.

Except we've had two seasons of DD and one of JJ to come to that conclusion. There is a lot of padding.

I just finished episode 6 and think it's great- but I think I'm giving it a rest for the remainder of the day.

Trying to run through shows ASAP definitely hurts them, i think.

Hurts them by highlighting the issue of being too long.

Yep, they are basically the street level Avengers for the most part. Its going to be freaking awesome

My prediction for what will happen with season 2 of Luke Cage:

Yeah i don't think they'll announce it for a little while since it will obviously be after Defenders but they'll definitely make one.

liquidtmd

Banned

Nail on head. Show got released at 8am local here. I saw people online that hit play the second it launched and were talking online about how they'd finished it in more or less the time it would take to back to back them all.

Whilst I'm mindful of what they say, I cannot take them seriously really about contextualising length without allowing it to digest and some time to pass.

It may be the case it is too long. I certainly thought Jessica Jones was about three episodes off but if I'd watched 10 / 11 hours of it STRAIGHT, I would have told you anything

I haven't had an issue with the length of any of the Marvel Netflix shows so far. But different strokes and all, so yeah.

Anyway, I'm on episode 12 now, and Luke Cage is definitely my favorite of the three so far.

I dunno, maybe. For Daredevil and JJ, the issue of being too long was still there on my rewatches where I did one episode a day.

even one episode a day is still much, much, much faster than a television season is designed to be watched. Network shows are typically spread out once a week or less- if you count the mid season break where they tend to show reruns.

Give these things some breathing room, soak in the episodes, talk about them for a few days, move on to the next one- and you'll find the "length" criticism changes a bit.

Jessica Jones is the only one where i feel that the complaint of "there's padding here" is really valid. DD S1 and 2 were just fine lengthwise.

Slayven

Defenders were comics first Non Team, a group that had no business being together but forced to be.

The original Defender was Dr.Strange, Silver Surfer, Hulk, and Namor. They were literally cursed to come together when the earth was in danger.

Gotta say this show is one word to me, smooooth. Everything from the music, acting, and pacing is just smooth. I'd normally get annoyed by the pacing in any other show but it just works here. No need to rush just ride it out.

I kind of get the Colter criticism since I didn't feel his acting in JJ at all (or Halo either...), but I think he nails the new characterization of Luke perfectly. Clean cut, smooth, and tired of shit happening around him.

The best Marvel show so far, I hope the other shows can step it up along with it.

Oh and Misty > Claire 😉

Defenders were comics first Non Team, a group that had no business being together but forced to be.

The original Defender was Dr.Strange, Silver Surfer, Hulk, and Namor. They were literally cursed to come together when the earth was in danger.
Maaan that would be awesome to see.

aly

I like the show, but just like Jessica I don't know if I want a season 2 unless it's a Luke Cage/ Iron fist team up.

I wonder who the villain is going to be for the Defenders and the circumstances that are going to force them all to come together. They are going to start talking about it pretty soon since its supposed to be airing next year.

Slayven

I wonder who the villain is going to be for the Defenders and the circumstances that are going to force them all to come together. They are going to start talking about it pretty soon since its supposed to be airing next year.

Military Industrial complex Super ninjas

Probably Hand and Iron Fist villain related. I could see a mystical threat being large enough to bring everyone together

I'm the villain for Defenders.

I'm not even playing a character, I just keep attacking Murdock from behind because he's blind as shit and it's funny

After Defenders is done, my dream line-up of Netflix shows would be:

- Daredevil
- Heroes for Hire starring Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Misty Knight
- Punisher
- an Elektar assassin mini-series, just one small season
- and a new supernatural show, take your pick: Blade / Werewolf by Night / Moon Knight

DD season 2 spoilers:
It will probably be about that giant hole in the middle of New York dug by mystical ninjas.

It's funny, I watched this thinking that the Superman movies could learn something from it. Yeah, it's nice seeing him fight some super powered villain, but the most compelling parts are when a hero is basically impervious except for some small weakness and most of the conflict comes from ensuring other people aren't hurt because of him or trying to save everyone against the odds.

Speaking of the end of the show
I actually wish Luke vs Striker didn't devolve into a simple fist fight. I would've enjoyed if it was more cerebral, and more about Luke trying to avoid the Judas bullets while also trying to save/protect people/take him out. It would've been better if he was "beaten" after being rendered completely helpless and mentally broken, not just from having his ass kicked.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
After Defenders is done, my dream line-up of Netflix shows would be:

- Daredevil
- Heroes for Hire starring Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Misty Knight
- Punisher
- an Elektar assassin mini-series, just one small season
- and a new supernatural show, take your pick: Blade / Werewolf by Night / Moon Knight

Robbie Reyes's Ghost Rider, he is being wasted on AoS

Slayven

I'm the villain for Defenders.

I'm not even playing a character, I just keep attacking Murdock from behind because he's blind as shit and it's funny

You would make a great Papa Hagg

rnX2Coe.jpg

So kinda like Suicide Squad?
Not really, the Defenders hated each other. Suicide Squad just hate their bosses

Moon Knight is what I want next. That shit could be amazing if done right.
even one episode a day is still much, much, much faster than a television season is designed to be watched. Network shows are typically spread out once a week or less- if you count the mid season break where they tend to show reruns.

Give these things some breathing room, soak in the episodes, talk about them for a few days, move on to the next one- and you'll find the "length" criticism changes a bit.

Jessica Jones is the only one where i feel that the complaint of "there's padding here" is really valid. DD S1 and 2 were just fine lengthwise.
Hmm, I suppose. Though given Netflix's format, I think these shows are designed so they can binged or taken slow or whatever viewers want to do. I'll try spreading out episodes on my next rewatch.
Kingpin and The Hand.
I think it'll be just The Hand and they'll save Kingpin for Daredevil s3 so they can do a Born Again adaptation.

Episode 12

Alright, I wasn't expecting Meth to be in this, haha. That was great.

Edit:

Haha, Shades is great.

- "We need a name. Was it Stryker?"

- "He goes by....lawyer."

Oh it definitely felt stretched out

Just finished it myself and once again the conflict ended up being very drawn out and circular

Thats my only small criticism though. There is so much great stuff densely packed into Luke Cage that, just like all the shows that came before it, I am in love.

Awesome stuff from Netflix. They just need to figure out a way to work within the 13 episode structure a little better because it seems to be the hardest part for them to juggle at the moment

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
So this show just mentioned Obama singing Al Green. But isn't the President played by William Sadler? MCU experts explain this to me!

So the timeline of all these Netflix shows still sometime after Phase 1 of the movies. I see them constantly mention the alien invasion but nothing about a army of evil robots. I wonder if they'll ever move beyond that in the timeline.

diaspora

I think Luke healed. Getting shot in the head with the Judas-bullet would probably kill him whereas he could probably get past flesh woulds.

Top Bottom