• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

And tired of the 5 minute scenes of whatever soul group is playing in Cottonmouths club at any given moment already. Hope the club gets blown up so I don't have to see any more of those. (The music isn't bad, I just don't need time wasted showing Cottonmouth or whoever head bob to the latest group)

It's funny
how often bad shit goes down at that club, but it still reopens the next day with a live band playing and everything.

Up to Episode 4, really want to like this but it is just slow as hell so far. Have damn near fallen asleep out of boredom every episode.
It just isn't tense enough, something Dardevil and Jessica Jones was. I had trouble just walking away from my TV after the ending scenes in those series.

Not really sure how I feel about Mike Colters acting so far. He physically looks the part, but a lot of scenes I feel like he's on the verge of laughing out loud or something.
And tired of the 5 minute scenes of whatever soul group is playing in Cottonmouths club at any given moment already. Hope the club gets blown up so I don't have to see any more of those. (The music isn't bad, I just don't need time wasted showing Cottonmouth or whoever head bob to the latest group)

Those live music scenes are never 5 minutes long. Why would that bother you? Just don't binge watch the show I guess.

Jetman

It's funny
how often bad shit goes down at that club, but it still reopens the next day with a live band playing and everything.

Ugh, great, so I guess it's a reoccurrence every episode. Did some music label help fund this show or something?

Those live music scenes are never 5 minutes long. Why would that bother you? Just don't binge watch the show I guess.

Maybe not 5 minutes, but when the camera takes time to focus on a James Brown wanna be on stage in more than one shot, with some of the characters sometimes commenting how good said group is - shits ridiculous. I don't need it.

Watched up to episode 10. Pace is generally glacial on a scene to scene basis for the first few eps, though a lot of ground is covered by around episode 5 or so so I was pleasantly surprised.

I don't know if it's better than daredevil yet, but its definitely above Jessica Jones because the side characters are both entertaining and moderately relavant, whereas in JJ they took up an insane amount of screen time for how irrelevant they ended up being and were incredibly stupid. You had to sift through trash to get the diamonds that were the Jess/Trish/Purple Man stuff, and here everything ties together a lot better.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
I'm done episode 6 and so far Luke Cage has been incredibly boring. Not quite as bad as Daredevil, but disappointing for sure. Each episode has been a chore to get through. Cottonmouth is a good villain though.

Jessica Jones is the best of the 3 Netflix Marvel shows so far (unless the remaining episodes of Luke Cage drastically improve the pacing).

scabro

finished it, way better than jessica jones but thats not too difficult. still well below both daredevil seasons.

diamondback was terrible and everything to do with him was so corny and eye roll worthy.

cottonmouth was good,
[and the show was worse off without him. shame its diamondback whos coming back and not him.
mariah and shades were good as well.

reeva connors was gorgeous. some...very good casting on this show

rtcn63

Finished episode 7 and I kind of want to jump off the train. It feels like the writers didn't know how to close out the
Cottonmouth storyline
. The shark is really starting to circle.

~Kinggi~

Banned
reeva connors was gorgeous. some...very good casting on this show

Reva was indeed hot as fuck, she had that nerdy quality to her that im down with. Damn.

Just finished it also. Overall i enjoyed it. Good show. It ended well. Lot of potential implications for the next season. Wish the fight scenes were more robust, and that there were more of them. Overall i liked it more than JJ but less than Daredevil. I really cant wait when they all team up and do shit together. That be some good shit.

How much did Country Time Lemonade pay?!

The angle of that can is quite the mystery. It's put down and faces the camera and when Misty picks it up you can see she doesn't spin it but the label faces her.

I'm not saying this was product placement but I'm sure it was magic. Misty is Mysterio confirmed.

I feel this show is Mahershala Ali's best performance as an actor. He's awesome.

He plays Cottonmouth / Mr. Stokes.

not even close. Moonlight, not only best movie of the year but something I think may get him a nomination too.

this show's hella boring tbh. I really appreciate that it's practically an all black cast but the lead character is dull, and the show just moves like a glacier. it's certainly better than jessica jones but it's even harder to get through. cottonmouth is great though.

i'm only 4 in though, but i think i might just quit and get back to it in a month or two.

It doesn't really make sense if you are talking about what happened with Jessica Jones. Other than the fact that in JJ his place got blown up and he was mind controlled by Purple Man for a little bit. Like why was he able to own/run a bar just fine in NY in Jessica Jones, but now he suddenly has to be paid under the table working at two crappy jobs.
Wasn't that bar something he and Reva opened together? If that's the case it makes sense... He kept the bar opened after Reva died but when it blew up he basically lost the business because he never had proper ownership of it due to his name being fake, And couldn't cash out on the insurance policy or anything.

Asbel

First off, music is amazing in this show. Would love to be at live performances of the bands.

I see a lot of people saying the show is slow but guess I was in the mood for it and even the title song is chill. Was mostly engaging to me.

This show is as good as Daredevil imo. Not perfect. Lots of conveniences to move the plot forward. Misty done
fucked up
a lot. But at least she wasn't the lead like JJ was.

JSevere

Just finished this up, enjoyed it quite a bit. It's really chill, great soundtrack, probably the best looking of all the Marvel/Netflix shows with some pretty cinematography. Colter is perfect as Cage, and the supporting cast is so good (Missick, Dawson, and Ali are the standouts). First eight episodes are fantastic, 9 and 10 kinda bring the show to a halt with a ton of padding though it gets better afterward. Bring on "Iron Fist."

erawsd

I enjoyed it overall and I'm on board for s2 but
Diamondback sours the entire backhalf -- what a horrible character all around. Mariah/Shades/Cottenmouth were a decent cast of villains, I dont know why they needed to ham things up with the evil half brother with daddy issues.

Finished episode 7 and I kind of want to jump off the train. It feels like the writers didn't know how to close out the
Cottonmouth storyline

It's clear
you assumed Cottonmouth would be the main antagonist and he's not. You're getting angry at trumped up expectations

theWB27

Yo, this ish is some the worst acting I've ever seen. Everybody is so stiff and the camera cuts are horrendous. I love it though. Cracks me up when he decides to go all Luke Cage on some baddies.

And then they got the >stare off into the distance while I deliver this meticulous soliloquy< game on point.

Spoil up to Ep 8:
They are really replacing Cottonmouth with this corny muthafugga Stryker?

Please tell me this gets more compelling. I dont believe for a second this is the nigga in charge of the whole operation. Let Shades be in charge

Xexros

Banned
This is lame. Episode 8
Luke Cage is bulletproof....but not really brb shooting him with a special bullet. Yawn. He really needed a villain with super powers. Boring. And why the love for misty? I mean really? Cause she's hot? She's stupid and annoying. Gtfo

J_Viper

Tried the Pilot out.

I did the cast, and the show has got style, but the clunky dialogue and slow pace drag it down

The poor scripts seem to be a common problem with Marvel's Netflix projects. They need better writing teams ASAP.

T Dollarz

Damn, someone's post just reminded me about Trish's character from Jessica Jones. I need her back in my life, that actress is obscenely attractive.

Anyways, I'm through five episodes. Love it so far. Really no complaints. All the characters are great and really getting their shine. Luke, Misty and Cottonmouth in particular are crushing it. Good stuff. I really think some of you should ease up on the hardcore binging. I like letting each episode marinate in my mind a bit. I'll probably be finishing up next weekend or so.

Diamondback is as bad as Nuke from Jessica Jones, but Nuke didnt
become the main villain for the second half of the show

Im at episode 9 and this show is falling apart in front of my eyes and I'm really sad :(

Gorillaz

Regarding diamondback only have 11-13 left to go but
I think they pulled the trigger to early on this switch off. Show still great but they could have extendedthe killing of Cornell for another episode or 2. The hand off to Mariah happened to fast episode wise imo. The show is standing in his show now and it's apparent the remaining villains don't have the charisma to step up.

It's like spoiled milk that waa in the fridge for weeks only to finally be taken out with new food put in its place. It's lingering like a MFer
Well see the finale.

aeolustl

Just finished. I like it but definitely not my favorite series. My issue is that the show is sometimes so cheesy and melodramatic. And man, Ending:
I hate Diamondback. He is just a maniac. Shades is a much better villain. Also, the ending is kind of unsatisfying. We know it is gonna be renewed, but that ending?

Something that mentioned in ep 9:
So Domingo said the Chinese are having their own thing. Is it probably related to Iron Fist?Or is it in DD s2? I haven't watched it yet.

Cottonmouth storyline
In hindsight,
it's a Mariah storyline, and Cottonmouth was more of a piece in her arc

Me too. He reminds me of an over the top 80s villain.

He reminded me of fireball from running man, or at least someone who would be in running man.

400px-TRM16.jpg

I'm done episode 6 and so far Luke Cage has been incredibly boring. Not quite as bad as Daredevil, but disappointing for sure. Each episode has been a chore to get through. Cottonmouth is a good villain though.

Jessica Jones is the best of the 3 Netflix Marvel shows so far (unless the remaining episodes of Luke Cage drastically improve the pacing).

Seems like you are one of the fans of crime drama bout serial killers rather than about organized crime.

Top Bottom