• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

Tecnniqe

Banned
Just finished the last episode.

tumblr_netmfqnBpr1rys67xo1_250.gif

shingi70

Banned
I'm constantly surprised people don't like the hand plotline from Daredevil season 2. I liked it as it's been set up previously and any Magic in the MCU excites me. My problem was the Hand when from Hyper comptent to Atrow League of Assistance their jobbers in the span of a few episodes.

Geist-

Trust me, that was not the guys or the organization that made the formula are going to do. Once they learn how to recreate Luke's abilities they're going to sell to the highest bidder. If they REALLY wanted to save lives they wouldn't have did the shady things they did to test their formula.
It doesn't matter if they want to save lives or not, because a big part of developing life saving technologies is making money off those life saving technologies and I'm going to assume making money is one of the major motivations they have. Anyone with any business sense knows that you don't make money by selling it to a select few, real money lies in mass production. It's why Lamborghini makes about half a billion dollars in revenue per year and Ford makes hundreds of billions.

But let's say for argument's sake that they just decide to sell it to the military or something. It's still out in the open. Eventually it will make it's way to the public (like so many military technologies throughout the years) and even with evil intentions in the beginning, it's a net positive for humanity.

Hmm, has there ever been anything with a premise like that? A world where everyone has super powers?

shingi70

Banned
It doesn't matter if they want to save lives or not, because a big part of developing life saving technologies is making money off those life saving technologies and I'm going to assume making money is one of the major motivations they have. Anyone with any business sense knows that you don't make money by selling it to a select few, real money lies in mass production. It's why Lamborghini makes about half a billion dollars in revenue per year and Ford makes hundreds of billions.

But let's say for argument's sake that they just decide to sell it to the military or something. It's still out in the open. Eventually it will make it's way to the public (like so many military technologies throughout the years) and even with evil intentions in the beginning, it's a net positive for humanity.

Hmm, has there ever been anything with a premise like that? A world where everyone has super powers?

It really wouldn't man, you'd just end up with a shit ton of Abominations and Yellow jacket's in the streets. We saw what Cross was going to do with the yellowjacket formula, this would have been just used by some PMC similar to the nuke pills in Jessica Jones.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Half way through Episode 7

Me protected? All I did your whole life was protect you! Your junkie mama dropped you off at Mabel's and never looked back! Your daddy didn't want you! Who was there changing your diapers? Tending your needs?

fDealing with your whining? I saw the way you used to flirt with Uncle Pete when I was little. (laughs) Running around half-naked all the time. You wanted it, Mariah. You wanted it and you know it.

Mariah screams: No! (screaming) No! I did not want it! (groaning) No! You shut up! No, I didn't want it!

Well, shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!! o>O

gdt

This show is awesome.

I love the music and the slow come up of Luke. I dig Cottonmouth and the entire black focused wokeness of it. Only half way through

Geist-

It really wouldn't man, you'd just end up with a shit ton of Abominations and Yellow jacket's in the streets. We saw what Cross was going to do with the yellowjacket formula, this would have been just used by some PMC similar to the nuke pills in Jessica Jones.

You're probably right because this is a comic book show. But I'm pretty sure yellow jacket and abomination were altered mentally by the procedures, Luke Cage seems to be the same except for his powers, and it's not like the scientist is starting from scratch trying to recreate someone else's procedure. This is his work. Hell, in reality, it wouldn't even matter who got it first, because once it's out in the open, it will be recreated, and it would spread to the public.

But I don't expect all of that from this show. What I would like is a super hero who doesn't think his powers are somehow a curse. It's so fucking ridiculous how often that trope is used.

shingi70

Banned
You're probably right because this is a comic book show. But I'm pretty sure yellow jacket and abomination were altered mentally by the procedures, Luke Cage seems to be the same except for his powers, and it's not like the scientist is starting from scratch trying to recreate someone else's procedure. This is his work. Hell, in reality, it wouldn't even matter who got it first, because once it's out in the open, it will be recreated, and it would spread to the public.

But I don't expect all of that from this show. What I would like is a super hero who doesn't think his powers are somehow a curse. It's so fucking ridiculous how often that trope is used.

The flash and Supergirl are more light hearted and in the vein that powers aren't a curse, but a boon.

Was this show low budget?

Same location over and over again. And the club looked really cheap.

The action always felt flat to me.

I don't know the budget but all the Netflix Marvel shows are like this. Very few locations and some questionable special effects. DD has some excellent action scenes though.
I think they make the most out of their locations and I liked the club but they should really step up their CGI game, it's laughable a this point.

Maybe I am a little biased, because I loved The Get Down, which has the same setting, but looked million times better. The music was kinda a lot in this show for me at times.

It was okay.

But oh my god it was corny and silly af at some points. Also, I saw some of the stuff in MoS and BvS.
Well it was meant to be a modern upgrade to the character's blaxploitation roots

Maybe I am a little biased, because I loved The Get Down, which has the same setting, but looked million times better. The music was kinda a lot in this show for me at times.
The Get Down had a Game of Thrones-level budget. $10 million per episode

S1kkZ

despite the very, VERY slow first 3-4 episodes, i ended up liking this show a lot. the setting, the music, the actors: just top notch. the quality of the actors is just on another level compared to dd and jj (with the exception of kingpin and killgrave).

yes, there are some lenghts and very corny elements (episode 13 is just wtf). and the really should hire some people that can craft some decent action scenes making use of lukes abilities.

still: great show.

Claire is more persistent than Batman. She's the reverse-Punisher.

No matter who you are, if you are hurt, she will find you and treat you with her nurse / super-surgeon powers. And no one will be able to stand in her way. Hostage situation? Who cares. Bad guys with guns? So what. A super secret room locked from the inside? She already went inside while I was typing this.

She'd be a perfect nemesis for Frank Castle.

Alienous

I wonder how much of an idiot you feel like when (mid-season spoilers)
you're a detective and couldn't figure out that your partner was a corrupt cop

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Claire is more persistent than Batman. She's the reverse-Punisher.

No matter who you are, if you are hurt, she will find you and treat you with her nurse / super-surgeon powers. And no one will be able to stand in her way. Hostage situation? Who cares. Bad guys with guns? So what. A super secret room locked from the inside? She already went inside while I was typing this.

She'd be a perfect nemesis for Frank Castle.

Batman vs Clair is the new Superman vs Goku

deim0s

Marvel/Netflix series needs to fix their stuff... From Daredevil to this, they really need to trim off like 3 to 4 episodes.

Marvel/Netflix series needs to fix their stuff... From Daredevil to this, they really need to trim off like 3 to 4 episodes.

I'm pretty sure they had a content hour requirement due to the NY tax credit deal they got. I think 60, so 13 each per series + Defenders

Slayven

Minor Spoilers for Ep 4/5

When Cottonmouth called Mariah "Black Mariah" and she said he was colourstruck- I googled this term (white guy living in Australia, sorry!) and it seems it's meaning someone who is racist against like, lighter or darker shades of skin in their 'own race'... is this right? Why did he call her black mariah though?

I love this show to pieces but some of the american/racial commentary is above my understanding!

Wrong meaning it usually means
you fetishize lighter skin or white women. To the point you obsesses with it...hence you are struck by color. Calling her "Black Mariah" goes back to darker skin being uglier

TheOddOne

Just realized the actor for Luke Cage was Locke in Halo 5. Wow.

I don't know how Halo 5 ends but I hope he is in Halo 6
IRCC they changed the voice actor for Locke, because Colter got cast in Luke Cage. They are still using his likeness for the character. Its safe to assume that they did it so character can return in future games/media.

kunonabi

I'm constantly surprised people don't like the hand plotline from Daredevil season 2. I liked it as it's been set up previously and any Magic in the MCU excites me. My problem was the Hand when from Hyper comptent to Atrow League of Assistance their jobbers in the span of a few episodes.

I think it's mostly because of unlikable/unbelievable the Elektra character/actress is and how her connection to the Black Sky feels like a total ass pull.

Elodie Yung was perfect. But the way her character was written and
how she turned out to be the Hand's ultimate weapon all of a sudden
was dumb as hell. I still loved most of DD season 2. The writers had the right ideas but the execution was extremely flawed. Episodes 1-4 were gold though, way above the rest of the Netflix stuff imo.

My problem with the hand in daredevil was that the show already looked silly with a guy in a devil costume running around, now you're having him fight many ninja on top of a building and shit is funny af

barit

Really nice series so far. I'm at episode 2 and love how Meta this all is. Some very strong statements in there.

"What do you want more than power and money?"

"Respect"

And I like how Marvel still use these little hints that everything plays in the MCU. (The Accident)

Now I've to ask. In Iron Man 2 Nick Fury says something like this to Tony in the donut shop:

"You are nothing compared to the shit that went down at the east-coast"

Do we know what he meant with that by now? Because all the big events had somehow an influence on the later films and TV shows. Just curious to know what it was.

About DD S2:

I don't mind magic, heck I'll probably like Doctor Stange a lot, but the whole Black Sky thing was terrible. Elektra was a good bitchy character but the Hand was just bad. Ninja guy was a terrible villain.

Top Bottom