• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Finished episode 12 and I just want to let you know that I think of Gaf every time they mention how high the stakes are.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Weird. Everyone on GAF hated Jessica Jones last year, now everyone says it's best of the Netflix shows. I guess we'll say the same aboht Luke Cage when Iron Fist comes out.

joe2187

Banned
The entire background music and theme of this show was wholly inspired by this Album alone.

220px-Twelvereasonstodie.jpg

Ghostfaces 12 reasons to die and The Brown Tape.

Weird. Everyone on GAF hated Jessica Jones last year, now everyone says it's best of the Netflix shows. I guess we'll say the same aboht Luke Cage when Iron Fist comes out.
Nope. Still firmly believe that outside of David Tennants performance, Jessica Jones was awful on all fronts.

After what happened in episode 6 I don't even want to continue....
Just finished episode 8; which was pretty big misstep after following what occurred in episode 7.
I'm worried that this has become another JJ/DD S2 season second half groan fest

Halfway through and I'm absolutely loving it so far. I love the music in the series, and the performances in the bar. I mean Jidenna's Long Live the Chief? Raphael Saadiq? lawd

I do wish these Marvel shows would just stop beating around the bush when it comes to the larger MCU. Just flat out say their names and mention that those things happened and that they exist. Just because it's a more "grounded" show doesn't mean they should distance themselves from the MCU.

Reeks

What happened to the amazing soundtrack? The first half of the series is FIRE and that (impactful) element tapered off a bit.

I just finished 6 and I'm enjoying it. Cage is great. Not seeing the praise for Cottonmouth though.
so far he hasn't really done anything except get punked. He laughs a lot and kills his henchmen in fits of rage. And makes lots of dumb decisions. I'm sure he'll get his moment or whatever where he takes Cage to the edge. But other than being well acted the character himself isn't doing much for me. Especially compared to Wilson Fisk or the JJ dude.
please don't spoil past where I am if you respond.

Xexros

Banned
Ugh this show.....episode 13
of course Stryker has a suit just for Luke. Really? When did he have time to make this suit. Give me a break.

LiamR

of course Stryker has a suit just for Luke. Really? When did he have time to make this suit. Give me a break.

I don't like the suit either, but he didn't make the suit. It's Hammer Tech. They make a point to state this quite a few times.

Xexros

Banned
I don't like the suit either, but he didn't make the suit. It's Hammer Tech. They make a point to state this quite a few times.

Did he make any mention about getting some goons to develop it during the show? It just appeared out of nowhere. Maybe I missed it

TheContact

Episode 7 spoilers:

Man I really enjoyed watching cottonmouth on the screen. He was my favorite character in this show. It was surprising to see him die but it really sucks because I wanted him to be around for longer

He also has bullets for Luke. He is a weapons dealer, not too far fetched to imagine him putting jn the order.

The suit is just the last step after the bullets and power glove.

This is not a plot hole.

MoeDabs

I do feel like every series is worse than the last. Although I did like the first few episodes of Luke cage better than most of DD S2, besides the earlier punisher bits.

Eidan

He also has bullets for Luke. He is a weapons dealer, not too far fetched to imagine him putting jn the order.

The suit is just the last step after the bullets and power glove.

This is not a plot hole.
GAF's proud tradition of labeling every story development they don't like as a plot hole continues.

I finished the show yesterday, and I have to say I liked it quite a bit. Cage himself was probably my least favorite element of the show, but all of the supporting cast more then carried the weight. I'd honestly watch a show starring Misty trying to uproot crime in Harlem, with Cage playing a supporting role.

Diamondback was campy and over the top in all the right ways. He really was just Marvel's Shonuff, and I loved him for it.

I'd probably rank this season alongside the first season of Daredevil as my favorites of Marvel's Netflix offerings.

MoeDabs

I'd probably rank this season alongside the first season of Daredevil as my favorites of Marvel's Netflix offerings.

I wish I felt the same. If the hip hop references werent so forced, and if the fight choreography was better. Plus that costume...god damn it looked worse than a rejected villain from one of those CW shows.

vikki

Just finished episode 6, I like this show a lot. It's right on par with Daredevil season 1, maybe better so far. I hope there's no drop off.

I wish I felt the same. If the hip hop references werent so forced, and if the fight choreography was better. Plus that costume...god damn it looked worse than a rejected villain from one of those CW shows.

I agree the fight sequences could've been better, but he is supposed to be more of a bruiser than a martial artist.

Eidan

I loved the costume. It was a ridiculous throwback to Diamondback's original costume, and the show itself mocked the get up. And honestly, it works for Diamondback's character. He's batshit insane. OF COURSE he'd put on something that crazy.

finished ep8

I like the show but I find the writing to be lazy when too many coincidences link up later during the show's progression

I hope the last episodes dont turn to poo like Daredevil Season 2 did .

MoeDabs

Just finished episode 6, I like this show a lot. It's right on par with Daredevil season 1, maybe better so far. I hope there's no drop off.

I agree the fight sequences could've been better, but he is supposed to be more of a bruiser than a martial artist.

That's understandable, but he basically just bent hand guns and tossed dudes, and even that felt "weightless". Cottonmouth's punches felt more heavy and that was just him beating a kid.

I loved the costume. It was a ridiculous throwback to Diamondback's original costume, and the show itself mocked the get up. And honestly, it works for Diamondback's character. He's batshit insane. OF COURSE he's put on something that crazy.

Ah I didn't know. It looks bad though. And not in a "I'm a crazy person" way, but in a "I need to finish my cosplay costume, fuck this will do" way.

Trojan X

Banned
Now on episode 8. Damn, this show is GOOD!!!!! Making me feel so much better after watching that super flat as a pancake and bland Independence Day Resurgence.

Tobor

I loved the costume. It was a ridiculous throwback to Diamondback's original costume, and the show itself mocked the get up. And honestly, it works for Diamondback's character. He's batshit insane. OF COURSE he's put on something that crazy.

Yep. That costume was rad. Totally fit the "i don't give a fuck" Diamondback attitude.

Plus, it's Hammer Tech, and we all know Justin Hammer doesn't have that Stark design swagger. He's a hack.

Christian

My wife and I started this yesterday. Through episode four. I'm enjoying it a lot more than she is. Good Lord, there are some fine women in this show.

You guys are saying cottonmouths costume is out of place when were getting this Shocker in Homecoming next year.
Context. Shocker's costume isn't going to show up 12 hours into something that has no other costumes.

And you can bet your ass Spider-Man is going to make fun of the way Shocker looks. Just like people in the crowd should have in Luke Cage if that's what they were going to go with. Because what's worse than having that costume is playing it straight and having everyone in the show take it seriously.

Eidan

Context. Shocker's costume isn't going to show up 12 hours into something that has no other costumes.

And you can bet your ass Spider-Man is going to make fun of the way Shocker looks. Just like people in the crowd should have in Luke Cage if that's what they were going to go with. Because what's worse than having that costume is playing it straight and having everyone in the show take it seriously.
The first line of dialogue after Diamondback appears is Fish mocking the costume.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

Hey what about that suit? It's a fine "
Pimp Stormtrooper
" suit,
that line/delivery was great

Man I hope they skip the fixed 13 episodes per season with the Defenders (I heard it would be shorter than 13 episodes) and leave it at that.

The first line of dialogue after Diamondback appears is Fish mocking the costume.
I'm not talking about one line of dialogue. That is not sufficient. There should have been several people in that crowd making fun of that clown through the whole fight.

Hell, if that had been a real crowd of people that had Luke's back, they would be mocking the other guy even if he wasn't dressed like a goober.

Eidan

I'm not talking about one line of dialogue. That is not sufficient. There should have been several people in that crowd making fun of that clown through the whole fight.

Hell, if that had been a real crowd of people that had Luke's back, they would be mocking the other guy even if he wasn't dressed like a goober.

It's a silly costume, and the show acknowledged it. Saying that the show didn't meet some quota of references to the silliness of the costume is, frankly, dumb, not only because it would have belabored the point by fight's end, but it would have robbed the climax of any and all tension.

"But the costume itself robbed the climax of any tension!" Eh, I'd say most viewers got their snicker in when the show got it in, and reasonably moved on, as the show did.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Was loving the show up to about episode 7. It had some issues but they weren't anything compared to how overall well done things were up to that point. After episode 7 though it starts to take a bit of a dive mostly because
Diamondhead was a far better villain without being seen and he sets up a lot of contrived plot lines once he shows up. Just wasn't feeling his character or the actor.
Still a good show and I like it more than a lot of the other Marvel TV fair but yeah the second half so far hasn't been as strong as the first.

Stoze

I finished it. I enjoyed the ham and cheese and it has a lot of entertaining scenes, but I don't know why they keep insist on making these shows 13 episodes long. The pacing is bad and there's tons of padding, which goes hand in hand with the repetitive writing and sloppy editing. They could trim the fat if they do 10 instead and presumably spread the budget better so they aren't locked into the same locations and can actually do decent action scenes. DD S1 is still the only one that felt like it had enough substance to cover the breadth of the whole season (barely), and it had great fight scenes.

It's a fun show though when it's not plagued by that stuff. I especially liked the episode where
Cage goes around Harlem slapping people up in his newly tailored suit.

guek

Banned
I finished it. I enjoyed the ham and cheese and it has a lot of entertaining scenes, but I don't know why they keep insist on making these shows 13 episodes long. The pacing is bad and there's tons of padding, which goes hand in hand with the repetitive writing and sloppy editing. They could trim the fat if they do 10 instead and presumably spread the budget better so they aren't locked into the same locations and can actually do decent action scenes. DD S1 is still the only one that felt like it had enough substance to cover the breadth of the whole season (barely), and it had great fight scenes.

It's a fun show though when it's not plagued by that stuff. I especially liked the episode where
Cage goes around Harlem slapping people up in his newly tailored suit.

The length is unfortunately required by the original Netflix- Marvel contract and tax breaks

Top Bottom