• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

But would very interesting if its true at least for a couple years.

It would definitely be interesting to have a universe full of made-up continents where 1602 characters, Marvel Zombies, and Marvel Babies are all neighbors, but as Pai Pai says, even the Marvel U needs to maintain more superficial similarity to the real world than that.

otakukidd

Maybe as an event gimmick... But Marvel isn't that suicidal to make this anything more than that.

That's the thing though. The way that paragraph is stated is to clarify(they specifically say clarify) that this is the ways its going to be the universe going forward. How do you say your clarifying and get it so wrong.

I find it hard to beleave they would do it to. I'm just really curious to see them try to pull it off

NMFried

I'm hoping that All-New X-Men, Miles Morales, and Guardians/Star-Lord all play major parts in this.

And not just because they're like the only 3 series that I follow by issue.

Slayven

That's the thing though. The way that paragraph is stated is to clarify(they specifically say clarify) that this is the ways its going to be the universe going forward. How do you say your clarifying and get it so wrong.

I find it hard to beleave they would do it to. I'm just really curious to see them try to pull it off

There is your problem he is taking lines from the live event. Watch the whole thing.

Neoxon

I'm hoping that All-New X-Men, Miles Morales, and Guardians/Star-Lord all play major parts in this.

You'll get your wish for Miles playing a major role, & I think Star-Lord as well (can't speak for the rest of the Guardians).

Afrodium

Banned

If they're not in the main book you can bet your ass they'll have some tie-ins. Don't fret.

Not

Banned
So I just found out about this.

Sucks that I have to cross Marvel off my list just like I did DC 4 years ago or whatever

Basically all I read these days is non-Kirkman Image

Why is reboot considered such a sinister thing? There are thousands of people (including myself) who are really excited over the prospect of a reboot. They will get a big sales boost, attract new readers, and bring back some lapsed readers its win-win-win. They rebooted Star Wars and the first issue of that did Death of Superman numbers! and I don't see anyone crying about the Valiant Universe reboot.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see anyone saying anything about the Valiant reboot.

Sucks that I have to cross Marvel off my list just like I did DC 4 years ago or whatever

Evidently, you haven't found out enough about this.

Don't worry.

Why is reboot considered such a sinister thing? There are thousands of people (including myself) who are really excited over the prospect of a reboot. They will get a big sales boost, attract new readers, and bring back some lapsed readers its win-win-win. They rebooted Star Wars and the first issue of that did Death of Superman numbers! and I don't see anyone crying about the Valiant Universe reboot.

Reboot sales boost lasts a very short while and abandoning the history the characters have usually doesn't pan out well. You throw the good out with the bad, and then you gotta factor that there are more bad writers than good ones, which usually doesn't spell great tidings.

See: Ultimates universe.

Don't make me repeat myself...

Long story short, you probably have very little to worry about.

Not

Banned

I can't even tell joke posts from real posts any more

Not

Banned

Don't worry.

Reboot sales boost lasts a very short while and abandoning the history the characters have usually doesn't pan out well. You throw the good out with the bad, and then you gotta factor that there are more bad writers than good ones, which usually doesn't spell great tidings.

Don't make me repeat myself...

Long story short, you probably have very little to worry about.

Oh, it's temporary? The news articles are treating it like the "end of a 50-year era" or some crap

Don't worry.

Ultimate Universe was selling phenomenally from 2000-2005 I think the line was even outselling most of the 616 at one point. BTW, that wasn't really a reboot just a parallel universe much like DC's Earth One line and the Earth 2 book.

There's too much convoluted shit in the 616 that has got to go. Spider-Man alone has so much horrible baggage from the long ass JMS run, Clone Saga, Dan Slott's current run, getting molested by his uncle, his GF having a babies with Norman Osborne, the goblins being killed and resurrected 100 times, Todd Mcfarlane's Torment run, etc. and then Ultimate Spider-Man has had so much horrible shit happen to him and his own baggage that he's accumulated in the past 15 years. They need to simplify things, go back to basics like DC did.

DC has rebooted itself several times by now. Take a look at what it ACTUALLY did for their sales vs Marvel, who has never had a linewide reboot.

Hell, you can even look at DC's current sales. Of all the New 52 titles that relaunched/rebooted, the only one that actually sells anything is Batman...which didn't actually reboot anything.

Slayven

DC has rebooted itself several times by now. Take a look at what it ACTUALLY did for their sales vs Marvel, who has never had a linewide reboot.

Hell, you can even look at DC's current sales. Of all the New 52 titles that relaunched/rebooted, the only one that actually sells anything is Batman...which didn't actually reboot anything.

Except Cassandra Cain.

Well they never had a linewide reboot true but last time I checked when they did attempt reboots (Heroes Reborn, Brand New Day) they were huge successes.

Ultimate Universe was selling phenomenally from 2000-2005 I think the line was even outselling most of the 616 at one point. BTW, that wasn't really a reboot just a parallel universe much like DC's Earth One line and the Earth 2 book.

There's too much convoluted shit in the 616 that has got to go. Spider-Man alone has so much horrible baggage from the long ass JMS run, Clone Saga, Dan Slott's current run, getting molested by his uncle, his GF having a babies with Norman Osborne, the goblins being killed and resurrected 100 times, Todd Mcfarlane's Torment run, etc. and then Ultimate Spider-Man has had so much horrible shit happen to him and his own baggage that he's accumulated in the past 15 years. They need to simplify things, go back to basics like DC did.

Ultimate Universe was selling phenomenally in tandem with 616.

Why throw 616 sales away, then? Launch another parallel universe if they like. Not like marvel put some arbitrary number on how many realities exist.
The convoluted shit is usually just ignored. No one particularly minds. When a writer that can use it well pops out (kirkman hoo), that's gravy.

Well they never had a linewide reboot true but last time I checked when they did attempt reboots (Heroes Reborn, Brand New Day) they were huge successes.

1.) Those weren't reboots, especially not brand new day.

2.) ANYTHING new with enough of a marketing push (as those had) will sell in the short term. A year or two out when the bloom is off the rose is another story entirely.

1.) Those weren't reboots, especially not brand new day.

2.) ANYTHING new with enough of a marketing push (as those had) will sell in the short term. A year or two out when the bloom is off the rose is another story entirely.

Spider-Man was absoluetly a reboot. They de-aged him and totally rebuilt his history

Ultimate Universe was selling phenomenally in tandem with 616.

Why throw 616 sales away, then? Launch another parallel universe if they like. Not like marvel put some arbitrary number on how many realities exist.
The convoluted shit is usually just ignored. No one particularly minds. When a writer that can use it well pops out (kirkman hoo), that's gravy.

Disney doesn't like confusion. Same reason they consolidated all of the existing Star Wars expanded lore into "Legends" and started over from scratch. I don't blame them. You want to attract young readers you don't want to confuse them. I remember in High School when I wanted to get into Spider-Man everyone said start at Ultimate Spider-Man since it was a ground floor fresh start so I did but I was always annoyed that it wasn't consistent with the movie playing in theaters and that Green Goblin didn't look like GG, etc.

In this thread we discover who reads comics and who doesn't!

Wtf I've probably been reading comics longer than you have poser

Shit look at the NU52 Graveyard. There are a lot books buried there.

Deaged him how?

In JMS he was like in his 30s and working as a teacher but when they "rebooted/modified/whatever" him in BND they reverted him back a few years to his mid 20s and had him looking for a job and ways to move out of the house.

Disney doesn't like confusion. Same reason they consolidated all of the existing Star Wars expanded lore into "Legends" and started over from scratch. I don't blame them. You want to attract young readers you don't want to confuse them. I remember in High School when I wanted to get into Spider-Man everyone said start at Ultimate Spider-Man since it was a ground floor fresh start so I did but I was always annoyed that it wasn't consistent with the movie playing in theaters and that Green Goblin didn't look like GG, etc.

Ah, so you're in conspiracy theory mode. OK.

Do you also think that the FF book was discontinued to mess with Fox, by chance?

My sides. I can't

Somehow I doubt this.

But apparently you haven't been reading it long enough to know that Brand New Day didn't change parker's age. at all. Nor did it change any event in spider-history other than peter's marriage and kid.

there have been FAR more substantial continuity edits to existing characters just for the sake of keeping up with marvel time (punisher, iron man) they just didn't have a fancy name slapped on it.

Somehow I doubt this.

But apparently you haven't been reading it long enough to know that Brand New Day didn't change parker's age. at all. Nor did it change any event in spider-history other than peter's marriage and kid.

Dude legit admitted that he started reading Petah Parka when ultimates came out.

Somehow I doubt this.

there have been FAR more substantial continuity edits to existing characters just for the sake of keeping up with marvel time (punisher, iron man) they just didn't have a fancy name slapped on it.

Uhh except for the fact that Harry Osborne is now alive again, Aunt May is alive, Everyone has forgotten Spider-Man's secret identity, Peter has his mechanical web shooters again, etc., Etc., ETC.

Might I suggest in the future you stop skimming Newsarama headlines and actually read the comics?

Slayven

In JMS he was like in his 30s and working as a teacher but when they "rebooted/modified/whatever" him in BND they reverted him back a few years to his mid 20s and had him looking for a job and ways to move out of the house.

You do know he stopped being a teacher cause he got fired because he kept coming to school beat to hell and back.

Uhh except for the fact that Harry Osborne is now alive again, Aunt May is alive, Everyone has forgotten Spider-Man's secret identity, Peter has his mechanical web shooters again, etc., Etc., ETC.

Might I suggest in the future you stop skimming Newsarama headlines and actually read the comics?

You can't be serious. Harry was brought back a full 10 years before Brand New Day

GTFO Amateur

Man, I've never seen anyone so determined to prove he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

4b0BACF.gif

Man, I've never seen anyone so determined to prove he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

You just said that OMD didn't change anything other than his marriage and I just explained how it did far more (it altered his entire timeline) this can be verified. So the burden is on you to prove that i'm wrong.

You throw the baby out with the bath water if you reboot. What about all of the good events and stories over the past 60 years? Do they still exist too? Do we still have Demon in a Bottle, The Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, etc? Plus if you reboot you have to redo origins, recreate rogues galleries, etc. And then it's just Ultimate Universe all over again with everyone lining up to give their own unique spin on classic tales and characters and, most of the time, not doing it as well as they did the first time. Wipe Hank Pym's slate clean and within a few years someone is still going to decide to write a story about him hitting his wife again.

The easiest thing to do is to just ignore the baggage from bad stories. Just don't mention it again and everyone forgets except for small portions of the internet that don't matter. The Avengers isn't exactly suffering because Bob Harras decided to write Avengers The Crossing back in the 90s.

You just said that OMD didn't change anything other than his marriage and I just explained how it did far more (it altered his entire timeline) this can be verified. So the burden is on you to prove that i'm wrong.

You said it was a reboot. All he'd have to do is prove that it wasn't a reboot.

A reboot would entail peter going through the "becoming spiderman" arc again, btw.

Quesaphisto changed some shit. That's about it.

bengraven

I'm pretty sure we'll get "this doesn't stand for France" Captain America in the new world.

Also would be hilarious if Twincest SW and QS replace mainstream.

NeonZ

They can never have that consistency though. Comics are monthly while movies have much longer periodicities. Comics need to have more characters and events just by their structure. Trying to limit comics to the movies just doesn't work, without making comics even more static than they already are.

Just look at this event itself. You've got multiple realities clashing against each other, with wildly different versions of the characters together, and you think this will somehow lead to an universe similar to the movie one? They wouldn't be replacing their entire line with this for months if they somehow feared going in a direction different from the movies.

I'm pretty sure we'll get "this doesn't stand for France" Captain America in the new world.

He's dead though.

Didn't they say at the kick off that dead characters would be returning as part of this event?

Ultimates characters be perma-ded.

At least i don't recall them mentioning that they'd be lifting that rule for the event.

Would be all for more goat-Doom, tho, even if Victor would end up killing him on sight.

NeonZ

Didn't they say at the kick off that dead characters would be returning as part of this event?

They "return" in Secret Wars because they're mixing multiple Earths together. So, 616 Wolverine is still dead, but they now will have Wolverine from the 90s X-Men cartoon running around for a while alongside some other variations. One of those alternate Wolverines could end up sticking around in the end.

Top Bottom