• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

Slayven

obviously Thor's asgardian sperm is what caused Jane to get cancer.

Maagni back?
Thor_Vol_2_74.jpg

Who fucking cares?

I'm not reading comics ever, because some writer made Doom cry once!

some writer had richard nixon turn into a supervillain and suicide on panel.

254531_v1.jpg

sure it's canon (well..maybe not anymore, marvel time and all) but clearly some stuff is just meant to be ignored regardless.

Regardless of the semantics of the word reboot, can we all agree that we will more than likely see a line wide renumbering back to #1 in September. Especially considering this teaser was released as part of Diamond Comic Distributers calendar for the year 2015:
image7-600x448.jpg

Regardless of the semantics of the word reboot, can we all agree that we will more than likely see a line wide renumbering back to #1 in September. Especially considering this teaser was released as part of Diamond Comic Distributers calendar for the year 2015:
image7-600x448.jpg

No, I certainly can't and don't. In fact, I think that's one thing we can almost definitely rule out given the number of books they have launched/will launch from December 31 on alone, including a major Inhumans book just a month before SW #1.

Bottom line, it doesn't mean a line-wide renumbering any more than All-New Marvel NOW! did back in 2013.

No, I certainly can't and don't. In fact, I think that's one thing we can almost definitely rule out given the number of books they have launched/will launch from December 31 on alone, including a major Inhumans book just a month before SW #1.

Bottom line, it doesn't mean a line-wide renumbering any more than All-New Marvel NOW! did back in 2013.

That means nothing. They have plenty of time to finish a TPB's worth of issues or even double ship if necessary to finish up arcs. Was there anything outside of Spider-Man that didn't get renumbered during the Marvel Now and All-New Marvel Now periods? I remember books that were only out for like a year like Captain Marvel were getting renumbered. Howard the duck and Spider-Gwen are launching in March and Inhumans #0 comes out in April by September they will have at least 6 issues of each of those in the can.

Slayven

image7-600x448.jpg
Nope, they will just change the title.

That means nothing. They have plenty of time to finish a TPB's worth of issues or even double ship if necessary to finish up arcs.

While not wholly impossible - okay, I'll walk it back a teensy bit - I think that sort of shenanigans, launching miniseries disguised as ongoings, is not something that would go over terribly well with retailers.

Drayco21

Was there anything outside of Spider-Man that didn't get renumbered during the Marvel Now and All-New Marvel Now periods?

Scarlet Spider
Venom
Avenging Spider-Man
Red She-Hulk
Hawkeye
Astonishing X-Men
Age of Apocalypse
Avengers Assemble
Journey Into Mystery
X-Factor
Wolverine and the X-Men
Gambit
Captain Marvel was a trade and then some in before Marvel Now started, and was only relaunched during All-New to try and make up for low sales.

FoneBone

Scarlet Spider
Venom
Avenging Spider-Man
Red She-Hulk
Hawkeye
Astonishing X-Men
Age of Apocalypse
Avengers Assemble
Journey Into Mystery
X-Factor
Wolverine and the X-Men
Gambit
Captain Marvel was a trade and then some in before Marvel Now started, and was only relaunched during All-New to try and make up for low sales.

Daredevil, too (#1 came out in spring 2011, and it didn't start a new volume until 2014). I think there were a bunch more, but not sure.

Afrodium

Banned
For all of the recent series that can't possibly be ending come May, is it possible that they'll just continue them on 616 past the summer and claim that the events of the books precede Secret Wars? Obviously they'll wrap up the book by the end of the year and then reboot the series, but is there some hard and fast rule that they need to just stop production in May because 616 is over?

FoneBone

For all of the recent series that can't possibly be ending come May, is it possible that they'll just continue them on 616 past the summer and claim that the events of the books precede Secret Wars? Obviously they'll wrap up the book by the end of the year and then reboot the series, but is there some hard and fast rule that they need to just stop production in May because 616 is over?

Setting aside the rest - no, 616 isn't "over," and they haven't announced a reboot - it's not clear. Marvel still hasn't announced how (if at all) their current ongoings will tie in to Secret Wars.

Sandfox

Certain books are probably going to go on hiatus in favor of the tie-ins we've been seeing.

Scarlet Spider
Venom
Avenging Spider-Man
Red She-Hulk
Hawkeye
Astonishing X-Men
Age of Apocalypse
Avengers Assemble
Journey Into Mystery
X-Factor
Wolverine and the X-Men
Gambit

The last X factor series didn't start until all new marvel now, wolverine and the x-men got relaunched with a new #1 and avenging spider man was replaced by superior spider man. Your right about Jim, hawkeye, and some of the others. Although some of those were on the verge of ending anyway like venom, age of apocalypse, and scarlet spider

Setting aside the rest - no, 616 isn't "over," and they haven't announced a reboot - it's not clear. Marvel still hasn't announced how (if at all) their current ongoings will tie in to Secret Wars.

They have made it as clear as possible that both 616 and ultimate universe are done. It's going to be a new universe going forward

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I know it's "wait-and-see", but if you remember my biggest problem with New62 was that they hit a reset button and squandered/pissed away great titles. (We talked about this, I would argue even agreed with this). But titles like Ms. Marvel, Ant-Man, Squirrel Girl, etc... how are all of these tiles so off the radar from Hickman's scheme going to be effected?
As you predicted, you’re going to have to wait and see. But we certainly didn’t set this whole thing up to ding all of the titles that we only just launched—so whether it all works out or not, we did take that into account.

http://brevoortformspring.tumblr.co...-know-its-wait-and-see-but-if-you-remember-my

They took it into account.

Sandfox

Marvel is going to have three different brands for comics to fall under during Secret Wars and the new titles will probably continue under one of those brands during the event and at the end I'm guessing we will be introduced to the new status quo for that book. This way they won't have to reset numbers or anything.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I guess they could just continue them in the new continuity but keep the numbering the same. Would be strange though.
Not really. Imagine the original Spider-Man "win" the Secret War. His path goes on, his story continues. No reason to renumber Amazing Spider-Man.

I think them bundling the recently launched stuff into trades and relaunching the ones that sold well makes the most sense.

I really dont think they will renumber books that had only like 3, 4 Issues. Makes no sense for me.

Maybe they just continue. We know that Manhatten will be Earth 616s Piece of Battleworld. They moved a couple of heroes to different citys over the last year. Ms. Marvel is in Jersey, Ant Man in Miami (?), Daredevil and Iron Man are in San Fransisco, Punisher in New Mexico. I think they wouldnt attend in the Secret War.

Not really. Imagine the original Spider-Man "win" the Secret War. His path goes on, his story continues. No reason to renumber Amazing Spider-Man.

I really dont think they will renumber books that had only like 3, 4 Issues. Makes no sense for me.

Maybe they just continue. We know that Manhatten will be Earth 616s Piece of Battleworld. They moved a couple of heroes to different citys over the last year. Ms. Marvel is in Jersey, Ant Man in Miami (?), Daredevil and Iron Man are in San Fransisco, Punisher in New Mexico. I think they wouldnt attend in the Secret War.

But the current amazing spider man series isn't even following the original numbering

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But the current amazing spider man series isn't even following the original numbering

Yes, thats true, but its kinda doesnt matter.

Like I said, when hen he "wins", there is no reason to renumber again this early. I dont see a point in it unless Dan Slott leaves, which is now the common method for renumbering at Marvel (start new when a new writer joins or a big arc ends).
I dont see Dan Slott leaving and his current Spider-Man arc doesnt sound like it will end until september. Also, he said that he has still planed a bigger Goblin Arc and there is no conclusion to the Black Cat = Kingpin stuff.

I really dont believe that they will really just wipe all this stuff that is yet to be resolved.

After a couple of days thinking about this all, I expect following:

Secret War is the start of a longer storyline that lasts a couple of years.
They did something similar with Secret Invasion. It put the baddies in charge of the Marvel Universe, which run under the tagline Dark Reign, which had it conclusion in The Siege, where things went full back to even Pre-Civil War days.

This whole thing went on for like 3 years, maybe 4 if you make Civil War an part of it.

I expect them to make Secret War as a kick of for an longer, new Status Quo like Secret Invasion did and let this new, merged universe run for 3,4 years, too.

And remember, we will get two Movies which will deal with the Infinity Gauntlet in 2018-2019. Around this time, I expect them to do a Event involving the Gauntlet, a Deus Ex Machina, who should be able to restore everything back to normal. It would at least fit in the usual movie marketing sheernigans Marvel pulled of before.

Also we know what forever means for Marvel. Peter Parker was marketed as dead forever. And he came back right in time for Amazing Spider-Man 2.

I think we will have a couple of Ultimate Characters hopping around with the well known heroes from the old Earth 616. They will replace a couple of them, but I dont expect to many differences beside that.

Also, I dont really think that they would drop Earth 616 permanently with all classic characters not in their famous roles. Steve Rogers is still old, Tony Stark inverted and Thor cant wield Mjolnir. I cant honestly belive that they would dont give them their 10 minutes of awesomness and deliver some fanservice.

They have made it as clear as possible that both 616 and ultimate universe are done. It's going to be a new universe going forward

If by "going forward," you mean "during SW," then yes. They've been anything but clear about what comes after it, though their language has admittedly been confusing.

Remember, while Battleworld isn't quite the same thing, they swore up and down that HoM and AoU were set in the "real" Marvel U and not alternate reality stories. Yeah, about that...

Afrodium

Banned
Yes, thats true, but its kinda doesnt matter.

Like I said, when hen he "wins", there is no reason to renumber again this early. I dont see a point in it unless Dan Slott leaves, which is now the common method for renumbering at Marvel (start new when a new writer joins or a big arc ends).
I dont see Dan Slott leaving and his current Spider-Man arc doesnt sound like it will end until september. Also, he said that he has still planed a bigger Goblin Arc and there is no conclusion to the Black Cat = Kingpin stuff.

I really dont believe that they will really just wipe all this stuff that is yet to be resolved.

After a couple of days thinking about this all, I expect following:

Secret War is the start of a longer storyline that lasts a couple of years.
They did something similar with Secret Invasion. It put the baddies in charge of the Marvel Universe, which run under the tagline Dark Reign, which had it conclusion in The Siege, where things went full back to even Pre-Civil War days.

This whole thing went on for like 3 years, maybe 4 if you make Civil War an part of it.

I expect them to make Secret War as a kick of for an longer, new Status Quo like Secret Invasion did and let this new, merged universe run for 3,4 years, too.

And remember, we will get two Movies which will deal with the Infinity Gauntlet in 2018-2019. Around this time, I expect them to do a Event involving the Gauntlet, a Deus Ex Machina, who should be able to restore everything back to normal. It would at least fit in the usual movie marketing sheernigans Marvel pulled of before.

Also we know what forever means for Marvel. Peter Parker was marketed as dead forever. And he came back right in time for Amazing Spider-Man 2.

I think we will have a couple of Ultimate Characters hopping around with the well known heroes from the old Earth 616. They will replace a couple of them, but I dont expect to many differences beside that.

Also, I dont really think that they would drop Earth 616 permanently with all classic characters not in their famous roles. Steve Rogers is still old, Tony Stark inverted and Thor cant wield Mjolnir. I cant honestly belive that they would dont give them their 10 minutes of awesomness and deliver some fanservice.

It looks to me like the Secret Wars event is the ultimate form of fan service. They're pretty much mashing up a bunch of iconic stories and playing around with them before destroying the universe they came from. It looks like Marvel is celebrating their canon and letting it go out in a blaze of glory.

Also, 616's Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, and Thor are 100% going to survive to see whatever is on the other side of Secret Wars.

Patryn

I'm just curious what happens to Miles.

Sounds like Slott still has a lot planned for Spider-man, so they won't be retiring Peter any time soon.

We also pretty much know that if only one thing changes due to this, it will be that Miles will be integrated into the MU as it exists post SW. Note that I'm not saying it'll be the ONLY change, just that it's probably number one on the list.

But will they just have two characters, both named "Spider-man" at the same time? I find that unlikely.

So does Miles get a new superhero name?

Slayven

I'm just curious what happens to Miles.

Sounds like Slott still has a lot planned for Spider-man, so they won't be retiring Peter any time soon.

We also pretty much know that if only one thing changes due to this, it will be that Miles will be integrated into the MU as it exists post SW. Note that I'm not saying it'll be the ONLY change, just that it's probably number one on the list.

But will they just have two characters, both named "Spider-man" at the same time? I find that unlikely.

So does Miles get a new superhero name?

Should just go with "The Spider" or "Tarantula"

GAMEPROFF

Banned
A black character being named Boy has potentially troubling implications. Especially if it's also kind of a demotion (given that he's been Spider-man for a while now).
OK, then better not Spider-Boy.

I hope I did not offend anyone here with this, it was absolutly not my intention to do so. I was unaware that this term was used in context of the slavery. Sorry! :/

It looks to me like the Secret Wars event is the ultimate form of fan service. They're pretty much mashing up a bunch of iconic stories and playing around with them before destroying the universe they came from. It looks like Marvel is celebrating their canon and letting it go out in a blaze of glory.

That doesn't really jive with this quote though:
"Once you hit 'Secret Wars' #1, there's no Marvel Universe, there's no Ultimate Universe," Brevoort said. "It's all Battleworld." "None of these stories are What Ifs or alternate reality stories," Alonso said. "And they will have legs. They will impart new things into the Marvel Universe going forward."

So seems like at the very least certain elements from the AUs will at least make it to whatever comes out of secret wars and they aren't just going to get destroyed... Of course, it could be typical "Stan Lee hyperbole" in order to hype up the limited series that will be coming up. I guess we will see.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

So seems like at the very least certain elements from the AUs will at least make it to whatever comes out of secret wars and they aren't just going to get destroyed... Of course, it could be typical "Stan Lee hyperbole" in order to hype up the limited series that will be coming up. I guess we will see.
This way it sounds like it doesnt even have to end with a that big consequence

Oh, I think we can (should) all agree that there will be some sort of "new Marvel Universe" post-SW that incorporates elements from alternate earths in some fashion.

Thing is, that can mean anything from a blank-slate total reboot to a New 52 mostly-reboot to 616+Miles, and it doesn't necessarily even entail retroactively incorporating Miles et al. into the new "main" continuity.

“If you want a glimpse of what the future holds, you’ll find it in the Warzones! titles,” explained Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso in a press release. “Our creators let their imaginations run wild as they lay down the foundations for the future. Whether we’re revisiting the most popular events from Marvel’s past or telling completely new stories, you won’t believe what we’ve got in store for you.”

“To be clear, Warzones! titles are not fill-ins. These are the event caliber books, magnified to the Nth degree,” added Marvel SVP Sales & Marketing David Gabriel. “Secret Wars has afforded us a completely unique opportunity to tell huge, epic, event-sized stories within the framework of this new, patchwork planet – events within events. These titles will lay the building blocks and groundwork for what’s next, if that gives any indication of how important they are!”

Huh... This sort of confirms what I was speculating a few pages back... Seems like these Battleworlds made up of various past events (ie Age of Apocalypse, Civil War, House of M, Spider-Island, etc.) could be used to make revisions to those events and be incorporated into the new Marvel U's timeline going forward?

Unlikely, given that, in the way the battleworld is being (supposedly) structured, those places would come from universes that were destroyed while their versions of the events were running. Alllows for differences from universe to universe, but 616 continuity stays.

Slayven

Why not Spider-Boy?

Or All new Alpha?

A black character being named Boy has potentially troubling implications. Especially if it's also kind of a demotion (given that he's been Spider-man for a while now).
That and Miles did his time, you should only get "girl" or "boy" if you are new in the game.
"The Spider" is what crazy ass Peter called himself at the beginning of the clone saga and I think Tarantula is still taken.

When was the last time she was seen?

TarantulaH4H.jpg

The Adder

Banned
Spider-Guy
Spider-Dude
Web-Erecting-Arachnid-Man
Wolf Spider

In regards to the announcement itself:

Marvel announces 'We're doing what DC did, but messier' and I say 'Good. That's how it should have been done to begin with. Now where's Red Norville?'

Unlikely, given that, in the way the battleworld is being (supposedly) structured, those places would come from universes that were destroyed while their versions of the events were running. Alllows for differences from universe to universe, but 616 continuity stays.

Just trying to decipher what Alonso and Gabriel are saying with those quotes from the article.

Not sure how what you're saying can be applied to those quotes.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
What about the spectacular spider-brownie?
I'm sure everyone will be ok with this name no one will be offended, everyone loves brownies right?

Top Bottom