• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

OK. I'm almost done with AvX and Infinity. Of Original Sin, DoW, AXIS, Spider-Verse - what can I not skip?

Original Sin has one very solid issue, #0. Then there's Original Sins, which is considerably inconsistent, but has some good in it. That's about it. If you had to skip one event, id say this is the one.

Slayven

What if they reboot the Marvel Universe and Maggot leads the Gold X-men team and Stacy_X leads the Blue team. And a scared Beak leads Excalibur ?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
What if they reboot the Marvel Universe and Maggot leads the Gold X-men team and Stacy_X leads the Blue team. And a scared Beak leads Excalibur ?

excalibur becomes the book to read, while the other xmen series go off to die

J10

Banned
Original Sin has one very solid issue, #0. Then there's Original Sins, which is considerably inconsistent, but has some good in it. That's about it. If you had to skip one event, id say this is the one.

Multiple people here and elsewhere have suggested skipping Original Sin. I thought it was going to be really good.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Multiple people here and elsewhere have suggested skipping Original Sin. I thought it was going to be really good.

original sin left more questions than answers.

Leader of the New X-Force made up of Mister M, Legion, Madison Jefferies, Diamond Lil, and Danger.

They travel the universe protecting mutants of all species.

no sane jamie braddock?

Original Sin was a decent read, and i liked the art. It was a lot different than the typical crossover event because it was a small scale murder mystery, not a world shattering crisis event.

that being said, not much that happened affects anything going forward into secret wars, outside of Thor being unworthy, the watcher being gone, and Nick Fury being pretty much written out of participating in any marvel events going forward.

If they need a summers brother they could bring back Adam X the X-Treme

he's not a summers brother, but he does need to come back...to f*ck some shit up bros!

3072964-41395465924.jpeg

It's a whatif that exploers what if the people didn't go back to earth.

Thor and Enchantress had a kid

Wolverine and Storm had a kid

Johnny Storm and Wasp had a kid

She Hulk and Hawkeye had a kid

Doom and Enchantress had a kid

Absorbing Man and Titania had a kid

Molecule and Volcana had a kid

Lizard had a kid with somebody.

Captain America and Rogue with Carol's mind had a kid.

And Spider-man was an insane skeleton animated by the symbiote

I think it was Mr Sinister.

nope. apocalypse. Time travel would have been involved. It's just as terrible as it sounds.

During his run on Cable, Robert Weinberg planned a story to reveal that Apocalypse was the third Summers brother, a mysterious sibling to the mutants Cyclops and Havok. But Weinberg left the book before he could go along with his plan and the third Summers brother was revealed to be the mutant Gabriel Summers, aka Vulcan.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypse_(comics)

The most Frank Miller sentence ever

it was totally a frank miller thing. So Frank Miller even Frank Miller said "DC won't let me print this."

This was going to be a thing?

not just "was going to be" a thing, IS a thing. Frank Miller was going to write some kind of bizarre post 9/11 piece where Batman goes on a rampage against muslims and punches out Bin Laden, but it turned out to be SO off the wall it turned into an "original concept" instead.

It was going to be titled "Holy Terror, Batman!" but instead hit shelves as "Holy Terror." it's batman in everything but name, and it is TERRRIIIBLLLE

WARZONES.jpg

Building blocks of a NEW Marvel Universe. Meaning after Secret Wars is over. They're just not going to use the word reboot just like DC and Lucasfilm didn't because they don't want a backlash and a sales boycott from pissed off fans and angry nerds embarrassing them at commiccon.

edit: Alonso has kind of touched on what we were discussing yesterday:

As I said on the last page, "new Marvel Universe" is so vague as to be almost meaningless. It's not as though Marvel has never overhyped the ramifications of an event before, and there's just no good reason yet to assume that it refers to drastic continuity revisions.

As I said on the last page, "new Marvel Universe" is so vague as to be almost meaningless. It's not as though Marvel has never overhyped the ramifications of an event before, and there's just no good reason yet to assume that it refers to drastic continuity revisions.

true. heroes reborn comes to mind. drastic changes for the non-mutant titles in the short run, then quickly retconned out and more or less forgotten about.

Sandfox

true. heroes reborn comes to mind. drastic changes for the non-mutant titles in the short run, then quickly retconned out and more or less forgotten about.

Heroes Reborn was retconned because of how poorly they handled it so I wouldn't really expect that to happen again.

Heroes Reborn was retconned because of how poorly they handled it so I wouldn't really expect that to happen again.

These things happen. Sustaining an interconnected universe is no easy thing. I'm sure no one actually PLANNED on turning heroes reborn into shit...or the Ultimate Universe...or the New 52...

Sandfox

These things happen. Sustaining an interconnected universe is no easy thing. I'm sure no one actually PLANNED on turning heroes reborn into shit...or the Ultimate Universe...or the New 52...

Marvel would have to basically fire everyone working on books now in order to repeat what went wrong with Heroes Reborn and even if they repeated New 52 I doubt they would just forget about it. There's a big gap between New 52 and Heroes Reborn. Marvel will probably end up tweaking things though depending on what we actually get out of this event.

Slayven

Remember when Mr.Sinster was going to be a little kid. And the reason he looked so goofy is because that is how a little kid would imagine a super villain to look like?

Remember when Mr.Sinster was going to be a little kid. And the reason he looked so goofy is because that is how a little kid would imagine a super villain to look like?

Yup.

The original plan was that he was a kid from Scott's orphanage who could never age and had the power to create and control "characters" in the real world. He was obsessed with Cyclops because Scott was the kid at the orphanage that he developed a jealous obsession with. Sinister was his public face.

Gambit was also going to be one of his projections, designed to infiltrate the X-Men. That's why he was designed as what a kid would think was cool. Those plans were abandoned when he became the breakout star of the cartoon.

Wasn't Heroes Reborn's failings mostly Rob Liefeld's fault?

Heroes Reborn was Marvel contracting Image to try and reboot some books that weren't selling, the theory being that those artists had extremely profitable runs on Spider-Man and the X-books.

Yup.

The original plan was that he was a kid from Scott's orphanage who could never age and had the power to create and control "characters" in the real world. He was obsessed with Cyclops because Scott was the kid at the orphanage that he developed a jealous obsession with. Sinister was his public face.

Gambit was also going to be one of his projections, designed to infiltrate the X-Men. That's why he was designed as what a kid would think was cool. Those plans were abandoned when he became the breakout star of the cartoon.

Heroes Reborn was Marvel contracting Image to try and reboot some books that weren't selling, the theory being that those artists had extremely profitable runs on Spider-Man and the X-books.

those plans were abandoned long before the cartoon hit. gambit was a hit with comic fans years before, and this was at the peak when X-men was monstrously popular- Xmen #1 (1991) is said to have had 8 million preorders and gambit had long been a staple of the team by then.

jph139

Not 100% sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I figure it's at least as on topic as most discussion so, here it goes. I'm looking forward to Secret Wars and, since I have Marvel Unlimited at the moment, I thought it wise to start powering through some of the classic stories that will be showing up there. So far...

HAVE READ: Marvel 1602, Immortal Iron Fist, House of M, 616, Civil War, Avengers vs. X-Men, Planet Hulk [though the teaser doesn't look related to the actual story], Infinity Gauntlet [ditto], Ultimate Universe; I'm familiar with most of the "standard" stuff that's just taken from the 616 Marvel universe

WILL READ: Future Imperfect, Armor Wars, Days of Future Past, Old Man Logan, Age of Apocalypse, Spider-Island, Age of Ultron

I pretty much know how to approach all of those. There's a few pieces I need some help with, though.

Marvel Zombies - I know there's the original limited series, but should I also read the Ultimate Fantastic Four stuff that introduces them? Are any of the sequels worth looking at?

Marvel 2099 - No idea how to approach this. What stuff is worth reading? Spider-Man 2099, I figure, but anything else?

"Higher Avalon" - I know Captain Britain from a few series here and there and am mostly familiar with the character and multiverse concept. Is there anything major I'm missing, do you think?

Anything Else - Obviously there are more "worlds" involved than the ones I mentioned, so if there's any I'm missing that we already know about, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance! I feel pretty confident about my knowledge on these sorts of things, but Comic-GAF runs circles around me when it comes to bigger picture stuff...

Marvel Zombies - I know there's the original limited series, but should I also read the Ultimate Fantastic Four stuff that introduces them? Are any of the sequels worth looking at?

Yes to reading the intro in UFF. The sequels are a case of progressively diminishing returns, unless you really like Ash and Army of Darkness.

"Higher Avalon" - I know Captain Britain from a few series here and there and am mostly familiar with the character and multiverse concept. Is there anything major I'm missing, do you think?

Have you read much of Excalibur? Key moments like
Brian and Meggan's wedding
might help.

Anything Else - Obviously there are more "worlds" involved than the ones I mentioned, so if there's any I'm missing that we already know about, that'd be great.

If you're an X-Men fan or want background on the 90s-esque team that will be part of Battleworld, you might try reading some of Chris Claremont's work on X-Men.

His run on Uncanny X-Men merits the most note (Uncanny X-Men #94-279). Bibliography attached. He also wrote some of Excalibur, vol. 1.

Never heard this before, kind of like it.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
so did "apocalypse is the third summers brother". thankfully cooler heads prevailed there.

Just when you thought post golden era x books couldn't have fallen any further...

lol there is no way to have that make sense...and Vulcan was bad enough , apoc with a shit hair cut and a smug look on is face...and British teeth.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Yup.

this ..is just not true, Gambit was around years before the cartoon hit and was on THE team

1785524-blue_gold_x_men.jpg

Heroes Reborn was done because Xmen dominated all things comic books outside of spiderman and maybe batman so why not give it a try? Even image that had a huge coming out had to take second seat to all things xmen. They had those creators come back because they were the most popular at the time...the good thing being that failure of Reborn got us some Maxx and Marvel Knights a few years later. In the end , everyone but those creators did great things with those books (FF4, Avengers, Cap , IM, Thor). Especially Waid, who is one of the greatest of the past 20 years , a great run on FF4 with weiringo , wally west flash twice, kingdom come, Cap , birthright, DD...he is the man.

Top Bottom