• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

Slayven

Great things to come out of Heroes Reborn

Fforce.jpg

thunderbolts-1-final.jpg

Great things to come out of Heroes Reborn

Fforce.jpg

Why would anyone ever team up with franklin?
"hey franklin, galactus is invading"
not anymore.

"celestial armada"
nope

"phalanxtron"
lol.

What would be the point?

And yet they do a cover with him crapping his pants over Klaw, of all people.

The only real announcement in the stream was that the 616 and Ultimate Marvel universes are merging.

...in a strictly physical, not continuity, sense, for the duration of the Secret Wars event, yes. (Miles will almost certainly end up on New 616, of course, but it's far from certain that that entails retconning him into 616).

Slayven

Why would anyone ever team up with franklin?
"hey franklin, galactus is invading"
not anymore.

"celestial armada"
nope

"phalanxtron"
lol.

What would be the point?

And yet they do a cover with him crapping his pants over Klaw, of all people.

That was an alternative version of Franklin who's powers were in flux.

Neoxon

Choice quotes? That thing is 30min long ffs
His general idea is to spread out some of the heroes.

- Put the Fantastic Four in the 60's
- Put the main X-Men team in 1992, & have choice mutants that make sense to still be active (Wolverine, Deadpool, older versions of Cyclops & Storm, etc.) with the new mutants coming into their own. Basically a new generation with a few of the old ones still active.
- Set Johnny Blaze, Iron Fist, & Luke Cage in the 70's
- Have Peter Parker as the adult, married Spider-Man, while Miles covers the teenage Spider-Man quota

Slayven

His general idea is to spread out some of the heroes.

- Put the Fantastic Four in the 60's
- Put the main X-Men team in 1992, & have choice mutants that make sense to still be active (Wolverine, Deadpool, older versions of Cyclops & Storm, etc.) with the new mutants coming into their own. Basically a new generation with a few of the old ones still active.
- Set Johnny Blaze, Iron Fist, & Luke Cage in the 70's
- Have Peter Parker as the adult, married Spider-Man, while Miles covers the teenage Spider-Man quota

And that is why we don't listen to random bloggers and youtubers.

Neoxon

He did have a valid reason. In the case of the Fantastic Four, they had ties to World War 2 & the Space Race, things that don't make sense for their age as time progresses. Magneto is also the biggest reason due to his World War 2 ties, but didn't he get a new body (I may have been mistaken, my comic book backlog is gigantic right now)?

Slayven

He did have a valid reason. In the case of the Fantastic Four, they had ties to World War 2 & the Space Race, things that don't make sense for their age as time progresses. Magneto is also the biggest reason due to his World War 2 ties, but didn't he get a new body (I may have been mistaken, my comic book backlog is gigantic right now).

Pfft, that would destory so many good relationships and interactions. Half the fun of incursions have been everyone butting heads.

I don't want to live in a world without the Storm/Parker bromance.

Magneto has been rejuvenated twice that I can think of, just like Xavier has had 2 clone bodies.

If they want to refresh Reed, the private sector space right is just getting good. Make him a startup guru

The rest of the video is much better, though.

-He claims that the main reasons for the reboot are to deal with the fact that the Ultimate Universe is basically worthless outside Miles, and to deal with characters who are tied to certain eras both past (like the Holocaust survivor Magneto, who, due to the sliding timescale, is reaching a point where he could have flat out died of old age before the first X-Men stories even happen) and future (dudes like Iron Man 2020 who will just look silly after we actually reach 2020)

-He claims that things are a lot less likely to end up like the New 52 due to Marvel having been planning this for 2 1/2 years and the close-knit and well informed their writers, in comparison to DC, who, according to him, didn't make plans to reboot until after the event that would reboot their universe had already started and told their writers that it didn't matter what was and wasn't in continuity when they were writing the first post-reboot stories.

-He claims that it isn't likely that Marvel will ax the new Captain America and Thor due to how recent their introductions were, how their writers (Remender and Aaron) are know for long-term planning and how both of them could just leave for Image if Marvel pissed them off to badly for cutting their stories off at the knees.

-He speculates that, due to most of the teased alternate universes being riffs on established Marvel events, and the various universes being the building blocks for the new universe, that the one shots focusing on each of those universes would come together and essentially form the complete history of the new Marvel Universe, allowing any new reader to just pick up the trade containing those one-shots if they want a good starting point.

-He claims at the end that the worse case scenario is a starting over from square one for everyone (ie. Spider-Man's a teenage Peter Parker again), and the best is basically everything being back to normal after Secret Wars with a few minor alterations. What Neoxon posted was merely his personal wish list (which he said would probably piss people off if it actually happened).

Neoxon

-He claims that the main reasons for the reboot are to deal with the fact that the Ultimate Universe is basically worthless outside Miles, and to deal with characters who are tied to certain eras both past (like the Holocaust survivor Magneto, who, due to the sliding timescale, is reaching a point where he could have flat out died of old age before the first X-Men stories even happen) and future (dudes like Iron Man 2020 who will just look silly after we actually reach 2020)

-He claims that things are a lot less likely to end up like the New 52 due to Marvel having been planning this for 2 1/2 years and the close-knit and well informed their writers, in comparison to DC, who, according to him, didn't make plans to reboot until after the event that would reboot their universe had already started and told their writers that it didn't matter what was and wasn't in continuity when they were writing the first post-reboot stories.

-He claims that it isn't likely that Marvel will ax the new Captain America and Thor due to how recent their introductions were, how their writers (Remender and Aaron) are know for long-term planning and how both of them could just leave for Image if Marvel pissed them off to badly for cutting their stories off at the knees.

-He speculates that, due to most of the teased alternate universes being riffs on established Marvel events, and the various universes being the building blocks for the new universe, that the one shots focusing on each of those universes would come together and essentially form the complete history of the new Marvel Universe, allowing any new reader to just pick up the trade containing those one-shots if they want a good starting point.

-He claims at the end that the worse case scenario is a starting over from square one for everyone (ie. Spider-Man's a teenage Peter Parker again), and the best is basically everything being back to normal after Secret Wars with a few minor alterations. What Neoxon posted was merely his personal wish list (which he said would probably piss people off if it actually happened).
Of course you post this right when I was gonna type something similar.
Though seriously, thanks for helping out. :)

mrw-when-the-same-student-keeps-asking-stupid-questions-45476.gif

Here's hoping that the only bit that he calls correctly is the bolded, then.

jph139

Have you read much of Excalibur? Key moments like
Brian and Meggan's wedding
might help.

If you're an X-Men fan or want background on the 90s-esque team that will be part of Battleworld, you might try reading some of Chris Claremont's work on X-Men.

His run on Uncanny X-Men merits the most note (Uncanny X-Men #94-279). Bibliography attached. He also wrote some of Excalibur, vol. 1.

Thanks for the advice - I really loved Days of Future Past, so if the rest of Claremont's run is in that ballpark I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

I understand the reason's given for the Reboot as well as the likelihood in the end we'll get a rebooted universe hopefully with only minor alterations to allow certain characters to exist simultaneously. However, the idea of those comics one shots being a history of the marvel universe doesn't make sense because events like Old Man Logan, Day's of Future Past, and Age of Apocalypse all can't co-exist in one universe Right?...... Right?

NeonZ

I understand the reason's given for the Reboot as well as the likelihood in the end we'll get a rebooted universe hopefully with only minor alterations to allow certain characters to exist simultaneously. However, the idea of those comics one shots being a history of the marvel universe doesn't make sense because events like Old Man Logan, Day's of Future Past, and Age of Apocalypse all can't co-exist in one universe Right?...... Right?

Well, if people really expect them to dump or at least simplify the multiverse, they'll have to do something about all of their incompatible alternate futures. I can't see these minis actually being the history of the new marvel universe though, since they'll likely have crossovers with other countries, just introduce elements that will be incorporated into it.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am very interested in seeing how they will deal with the Marvel Zombies.
They were overpowered, they wiped out earth in a couple of days, I cant think of something really fitting beside putting them in for just a few panels and they killing them of with a Deux Ex Machina.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Well, if people really expect them to dump or at least simplify the multiverse, they'll have to do something about all of their incompatible alternate futures. I can't see these minis actually being the history of the new marvel universe though, since they'll likely have crossovers with other countries, just introduce elements that will be incorporated into it.

either wipe them out, or alter them based on the events of secret wars. they cant be folded into the 616

I am very interested in seeing how they will deal with the Marvel Zombies.
They were overpowered, they wiped out earth in a couple of days, I cant think of something really fitting beside putting them in for just a few panels and they killing them of with a Deux Ex Machina.

put them in a loop. maybe they can explain what happens to sentry after he hits the first earth

Mudcrab

As for Jonathan, I expect that when Secret Wars is concluded, he’s going to want to collapse for awhile. But it’s nobody’s intention that this project represents his Marvel swansong, but merely the ending of the story he began in Avengers #1.

Hickman pls. I need that All-New, All Different Exiles title from you.

Mudcrab

Oh definitely, I know he has some new image projects on top of continuing East of West and Manhattan Projects. I just hope he does come back at some point.

Voror

Huh, I'd largely been off the grid concerning this whole event since I imagined it really wouldn't matter in the end. Still, the concept and what it could lead to is at least interesting. Having this whole world which is sectioned off into different universes is a weird concept and I'm really curious how that'll play out in a way that's coherent.

That notion that these one-shots (I think that's what they're meant to be) could be showing how things went in whatever the new timeline is after all this isn't a bad idea, but it does sort of feel like it'd be glossing over what the stories when in some cases I'd really like to see a full series based on what's going on in that version. Unless that's what they're going to end up doing.

Of course, I suppose it's more likely that these will just show what's going on in these universes on the Battleworld.

I'll admit I'm intrigued by the whole notion at the very least, which is something I suppose. Just curious what the end result of it will be and I hope we don't lose some of the newer series like Agent of Asgard or Ms. Marvel. Also unsure what will become of Miles since integrating him in the main universe could be pretty weird.

But they're not getting me with that Renew Your Vows teaser. I'm not going to fall for that.

Huh, I'd largely been off the grid concerning this whole event since I imagined it really wouldn't matter in the end. Still, the concept and what it could lead to is at least interesting. Having this whole world which is sectioned off into different universes is a weird concept and I'm really curious how that'll play out in a way that's coherent.

That notion that these one-shots (I think that's what they're meant to be) could be showing how things went in whatever the new timeline is after all this isn't a bad idea, but it does sort of feel like it'd be glossing over what the stories when in some cases I'd really like to see a full series based on what's going on in that version. Unless that's what they're going to end up doing.

Of course, I suppose it's more likely that these will just show what's going on in these universes on the Battleworld.

I'll admit I'm intrigued by the whole notion at the very least, which is something I suppose. Just curious what the end result of it will be and I hope we don't lose some of the newer series like Agent of Asgard or Ms. Marvel. Also unsure what will become of Miles since integrating him in the main universe could be pretty weird.

But they're not getting me with that Renew Your Vows teaser. I'm not going to fall for that.

That Spider-Man showed up in spider verse. Pretty cool scene

New Brevoort interview on Newsarama. Unsurprisingly reveals very little, but confirms that there will indeed be new ongoing books launching during SW, which kills the notion of a line-wide renumbering right there and doesn't exactly help the case for an imminent reboot.

Where does it say new ongoings will be launched during SW? All I see is him talking about the books that are coming out in the months before SW and telling fans that those books won't be thrown under the bus.

Where does it say new ongoings will be launched during SW? All I see is him talking about the books that are coming out in the months before SW and telling fans that those books won't be thrown under the bus.

Nrama: Can you explain more about the umbrella titles Last Days, Battleworld and Warzones!? Will every Marvel title throughout Secret Wars be under one of these three umbrellas? Will it be just existing titles, new limited series, new ongoing series, or all of the above?

Brevoort: As we go into Secret Wars, every tie-in title that we produce will fall under one of those three umbrellas, yes. It may not literally be every single title we produce every month, but it will be an awful lot of them. And yes, that will include existing titles, new ongoing series, new limited series, one-shots, and everything in-between. To define the three categories a little bit better for people:

hmm I still think he's referring to books like Uncanny Inhumans, Howard the Duck, Ant-Man, Spider-Gwen etc. when he says "new ongoing titles"

If you read what he said at the very end it seems like he's hinting at a new 52 style thing where the characters have similar histories that what they used to have but the world is different with a different canon. To me that's worse than a reboot. It's better to just start over from scratch like Valiant did but DC and Marvel will never do that.

That doesn't really mean he's talking about ongoings launched during SW. He could be talking about books like Spider-Gwen that are new but started before may.

hmm I still think he's referring to books like Uncanny Inhumans, Howard the Duck, Ant-Man, Spider-Gwen etc. when he says "new ongoing titles"

Given the context, that seems like a very strained reading to me (where are the "new limited series" that begin a few months before SW but only tie in midway through?), but okay. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Given the context, that seems like a very strained reading to me (where are the "new limited series" that begin a few months before SW but only tie in midway through?), but okay. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Uncanny Inhumans #0 comes out like 2 weeks before Secret Wars dude

Also:

Nrama: Finally, can’t let you go without asking this one – this isn’t your first rodeo either and you know fandom as well as I. Comparisons to Crisis On Infinite Earths and the "New 52" and reminders of past statements about Marvel ever needing a "Crisis," and the reboot or not a reboot questions will likely follow this event.

Do you want to expand on your answer from Tuesday as to whether this or is not going to ultimately climax with a reboot of Marvel continuity?

Brevoort: No, of course not. Whaddayou, nuts?

I did say at one point, though, that if you take a boot and replace the sole and put new laces on it and dye it a different color, is it still the same boot? Or reboot? Yes? No? You tell me.

What he's describing sounds almost identical to new 52 and the post crisis DCU

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Well, its the same boot, but it looks different. Like when you would take Earth 616 and replace some heroes.

Maybe we should stop talking to much about that marketing stuff. Marvel PR is pure bullshit. You know, Peter Parker is dead forever and will never come back,

Well, its the same boot, but it looks different. Like when you would take Earth 616 and replace some heroes.

Maybe we should stop talking to much about that marketing stuff. Marvel PR is pure bullshit. You know, Peter Parker is dead forever and will never come back,

True but I will say the buildup to this event is very different than anything i've seen Marvel do before. It's definitely bigger than stuff like House of M, Siege, and Secret Invasion.

Sandfox

All I'm expecting out of this event is:
-certain aspects from the ultimate universe coming over while we lose some things from the old main universe
-character and dynamics/lore created either during the event or carried over from a previous existing universe being brought over

How was it back then, when DCs Universe was rebooted? Was it announced with Flashpoint? Or did they wait?

They kept saying "The first thing about Flashpoint is that we don't talk about what happens after flashpoint" and there was similar vague spin that they wouldn't be rebooting or anything. It was a last minute surprise and many people were left confused because they kept saying it wasn't a reboot.

They kept saying "The first thing about Flashpoint is that we don't talk about what happens after flashpoint" and there was similar vague spin that they wouldn't be rebooting or anything. It was a last minute surprise and many people were left confused because they kept saying it wasn't a reboot.

They also at least had the sense not to launch any new ongoing titles from (IIRC) January through August 2011, so three possibilities here:

A. Marvel is lying about SW and All-New Marvel having been planned well in advance, and the latter is in fact an even more rushed, hastily slapped-together effort than the New 52 was.

B. Marvel is effectively lying about Silk, Howard the Duck, Hawkeye, Uncanny Inhumans, Spider-Gwen, etc. being ongoing books, and these titles are collectively an elaborate smokescreen to conceal their plans to relaunch later in the year.

C. Secret Wars, while big, is just not as big a deal as Marvel wants you to think it is.

But it can't be C, because I certainly can't recall Marvel ever overhyping an event before!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
They also at least had the sense not to launch any new ongoing titles from (IIRC) January through August 2011, so three possibilities here:

A. Marvel is lying about SW and All-New Marvel having been planned well in advance, and the latter is in fact an even more rushed, hastily slapped-together effort than the New 52 was.

B. Marvel is effectively lying about Silk, Howard the Duck, Hawkeye, Uncanny Inhumans, Spider-Gwen, etc. being ongoing books, and these titles are collectively an elaborate smokescreen to conceal their plans to relaunch later in the year.

C. Secret Wars, while big, is just not as big a deal as Marvel wants you to think it is.

But it can't be C, because I certainly can't recall Marvel ever overhyping an event before!

Overhyping events in comics? Why sir, are you mad?

this ..is just not true, Gambit was around years before the cartoon hit and was on THE team

1785524-blue_gold_x_men.jpg

Heroes Reborn was done because Xmen dominated all things comic books outside of spiderman and maybe batman so why not give it a try? Even image that had a huge coming out had to take second seat to all things xmen. They had those creators come back because they were the most popular at the time...the good thing being that failure of Reborn got us some Maxx and Marvel Knights a few years later. In the end , everyone but those creators did great things with those books (FF4, Avengers, Cap , IM, Thor). Especially Waid, who is one of the greatest of the past 20 years , a great run on FF4 with weiringo , wally west flash twice, kingdom come, Cap , birthright, DD...he is the man.

Gambit was on the team for 2 years before the animated series. He was introduced in August of 1990, and the animated series premiered in October of 1992. That said, I was off on when the decision to make Gambit not be a traitor was made. It was actually when Chris Claremont left the book and Jim Lee took over as writer in addition to his art duties. That would be between issues 3 and 4 of the 1991 X-Men series, with issue 4 hitting shelves in January of 92. Incidentally, that's also the issue where Wolverine hung up the Brown and Tan costume and went back to the tiger stripes.

As for Heroes Reborn, I got my information from this interview with Jim Lee:

http://smodcast.com/episodes/jim-lee-un-hushed/

About 1:41:00 in. Avengers, Fantastic Four, Iron Man and Captain America were all selling below 30k copies a month. They were brought in to save those series.

Sandfox

It looks like Mighty Avengers, Magneto, and Loki have been announced to be under the "Last Days" branding.

Or they could simply have those titles tie-in with SW and have them continue on afterwards.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
you know i just realized? what if this is an effort to not only merge the remainder of the ultimate world with 616, but also a chance to merge the 616 and marvelman worlds together?

Top Bottom