• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

All but flat out stated in Guardians of the Galaxy. Star Lord went through the entire story of how he got out of the cancerverse, and it's clear at the end of it that Nova survived, though star lord doesn't know that.

should I be reading that? spoiler it for me

The current Nova Prime's name is Rael Rider.

Also written by Dan Abnett.

"kind of."

It's an alternate future, one of many possible futures that branch off of 616. What happens in the main timeline can influence and change the shape of it, which we saw in the previous Guardians run.

2099 is the same way, and we're seeing this play out in Spider-Man 2099.

In the Infinity Gauntlet teaser it shows a family of Novas...which I'm assuming is Kid Nova and his dad doesn't that seem to imply that there going to keep that Nova as the canon assuming that is one of the teasers that becomes "a building block for the new marvel universe"

duckroll

In the Infinity Gauntlet teaser it shows a family of Novas...which I'm assuming is Kid Nova and his dad doesn't that seem to imply that there going to keep that Nova as the canon assuming that is one of the teasers that becomes "a building block for the new marvel universe"

Here's what Dustin Weaver said about it last year: http://dustinweaver.blogspot.com/2014/11/entry-253-infinity-gauntlet-teaser-sag.html

First of all, the image I've posted above. What can I tell you about that? This is a teaser image for my next Marvel job. It's loosely tied into the big Secret Wars event this next summer (2015). It will be kind of like my Edge of Spider-Verse issue in that it's a tie-in but also it's a self contained story where I'll have a lot of creative freedom. It's called Infinity Gauntlet, and though it has that tittle and marketing has teased it with the old "Infinity Gauntlet" logo, it will not be a re-telling of the old story or anything like that. It will be it's own thing and it will have a lot of me in it. Right now, we're still developing this. The teaser can be thought of as concept art.

Sounds pretty self-contained.

jph139

totally forgot about that. I guess they COULD...it would be weird though.

Oh god, what if one of those is Star Wars.

What am I saying, it totally is.

edit: secret 'wars' ugh. The more I think about it, the more obvious it all is. If you were going to integrate that giant star wars franchise you just bought into the marvel U, a massive year long crossover event would be how you would do it. Or to put it another way, what are the odds that marvel would NEVER cross over "star wars" which they own and print now with the mainstream marvel U? zero? I thought so. How would you arrange things so this would actually make any sense, given the state of the marvel multiverse right now?

I could see that honestly. It's not like Star Wars is some temporary licence - it's permanently under the same roof. And there's precedent with the Conan stuff back in the day - as far as I know, the Hyborian Age is still technically canon on Earth-616. Sticking Star Wars in some long-forgotten corner of the universe would open the door for a ton of crossover stuff and wouldn't be TOO problematic (though I'm not a Star Wars buff, so it's entirely possible I'm wrong on that).

I think the "everything published is canon now" approach that Disney is taking with the Star Wars brand puts a damper on it, though. I doubt they want to hitch their lean-and-mean canon to the unwieldy behemoth of the Marvel multiverse.

I could see that honestly. It's not like Star Wars is some temporary licence - it's permanently under the same roof. And there's precedent with the Conan stuff back in the day - as far as I know, the Hyborian Age is still technically canon on Earth-616. Sticking Star Wars in some long-forgotten corner of the universe would open the door for a ton of crossover stuff and wouldn't be TOO problematic (though I'm not a Star Wars buff, so it's entirely possible I'm wrong on that).

I think the "everything published is canon now" approach that Disney is taking with the Star Wars brand puts a damper on it, though. I doubt they want to hitch their lean-and-mean canon to the unwieldy behemoth of the Marvel multiverse.

I was thinking exactly along the lines of the Conan approach. star wars would be acknowledged to exist, but the events everyone is familiar with would have happened a bazillion years ago in an obscure corner of the multiverse.

certain aspects of that Canon could still pop up within marvel cosmic, though in different form, different characters, etc. Like I said marvel has space opera books currently running already. Working SW into the history would be trivial.

As for "unwieldy behemoth" yes it is, but secret wars (and lesser events leading up to it) have been explicitly targeted at fixing that problem. The "infinite alternate worlds" version of the MU is finished, if not dead already.

SoilBreak

Banned
xDdQAnp.jpg

http://www.newsarama.com/23361-bend...timate-end-to-marvel-s-ultimate-universe.html

I was wondering that too.

Like I know that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver ate it in Ultimates 3 and Wasp got axed in a pretty messy manner in Ultimatum, and, IIRC, Cap and Thor got killed in Cataclysm. I know that Iron Man still alive but I don't think he uses that armor design anymore. Anything else I'm missing?

Like I know that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver ate it in Ultimates 3 and Wasp got axed in a pretty messy manner in Ultimatum, and, IIRC, Cap and Thor got killed in Cataclysm. I know that Iron Man still alive but I don't think he uses that armor design anymore. Anything else I'm missing?

who says there's only one Ultimate universe?

There have been like 9 squadron supremes already.

It would be odd for Miles to be there since 3/5th of the people I mentioned died before he appeared but then lolaltuniverseslol.

Wouldn't really be all that unusual.

Someone wants to finally do a knock down, drag out, balls to the wall fight to the death between the Avengers and the Ultimates.

Unfortunately just about every character anyone gives a shit about is dead.

Solution: LOL alternate "ultimate marvel" where everyone's alive!

There also seem to be three separate Miles' running around. One in All New Xmen, One in Spider Verse, and One in his own book. none of these seem to acknowledge the existence or adventures of any of the other ones.

Don't put Miles on that cover with those clowns.

By clowns you mean the driving force of Marvel Comics for almost a decade and a major influence on the films, tv shows, and cartoons that are dominating the entertainment landscape right now? Ultimate Universe would have probably replaced the 616 at some point if Jeph Loeb didn't fuck things up so badly. Oh well, a bunch of trolls will never be able to diminish the success and importance of the Ultimate line of comics and their impact on Marvel.

By clowns you mean the driving force of Marvel Comics for almost a decade and a major influence on the films, tv shows, and cartoons that are dominating the entertainment landscape right now? Ultimate Universe would have probably replaced the 616 at some point if Jeph Loeb didn't fuck things up so badly. Oh well, a bunch of trolls will never be able to diminish the success and importance of the Ultimate line of comics and their impact on Marvel.

Dude, don't be weird.

Also you forgot millar.

IHaveIce

Banned
Can Hickmann just overtake everything at Marvel? Clone the guy and kick Bendis out.

I finished his F4/FF run and damn.. the set ups for all the stuff happening right now is amazing. Everything Dies is said alot, panthergod implying something big bad is coming after the phoenix AvX event, the Wizard having visions of Reed being in problems in the future and of course Franklin and Val from the future (Val wanting to build with the bridges)

Can Hickmann just overtake everything at Marvel? Clone the guy and kick Bendis out.

I finished his F4/FF run and damn.. the set ups for all the stuff happening right now is amazing. Everything Dies is said alot, panthergod implying something big bad is coming after the phoenix AvX event, the Wizard having visions of Reed being in problems in the future and of course Franklin and Val from the future (Val wanting to build with the bridges)

I like how throughout they keep saying "Here I can build" and in Hickman's first issue of Ultimates Ultimate Reed Richards says the same line on the first page. What a master plan.

Mudcrab

I don't understand what anything you just ranted about has to do with me not liking the Ultimate U.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Wouldn't really be all that unusual.

Someone wants to finally do a knock down, drag out, balls to the wall fight to the death between the Avengers and the Ultimates.

Unfortunately just about every character anyone gives a shit about is dead.

Solution: LOL alternate "ultimate marvel" where everyone's alive!

There also seem to be three separate Miles' running around. One in All New Xmen, One in Spider Verse, and One in his own book. none of these seem to acknowledge the existence or adventures of any of the other ones.

So if theres an alt ultimate with everyone alive(minus black widow) plus miles, does that mean theres two spider men?

So if theres an alt ultimate with everyone alive(minus black widow) plus miles, does that mean theres two spider men?

there's a lot more than two spider men.

Spider-Verse_DellOtto_Banner.jpg

seriously though, they've already established multiple peters (several times over) and multiple miguels, multiple miles' arent really that big of a stretch. We already know 616 has a miles in it, but we don't know who he is or why he's relevant.

Parallax

there's a lot more than two spider men.

Spider-Verse_DellOtto_Banner.jpg

seriously though, they've already established multiple peters (several times over) and multiple miguels, multiple miles' arent really that big of a stretch. We already know 616 has a miles in it, but we don't know who he is or why he's relevant.

It would be interesting to see an ultimate universe without the rotting taint of ultimatum sandbagging the line.

Parallax

Im trying not to laugh in this hospital waiting room.

This is true, but the Iron Man on the cover is very clearly Ultimate Iron Man.

I'm implying there's more than one world that has an "ultimates" team. It's AN "ultimate iron man" but not THE ultimate iron man. They did this with Squadron Supreme/Supreme power a LOT.

there's not a whole lot of other explanations that make sense here, outside of crazy time travel business or cloning.

Mudcrab

It would be interesting to see an ultimate universe without the rotting taint of ultimatum sandbagging the line.

I'm thinking it's an alt-world where none of the crazy shit has happened yet.

What if Hickman is going to show us what could have been with 1610 before it goes away? A world where Ultimatum never happened and the Ultimates were never comprised of assholes, wife-beaters and cannibals?

Updated cover with everything on it.

After today's NA I'm so hyped for more of this story.

Parallax

What if Hickman is going to show us what could have been with 1610 before it goes away? A world where Ultimatum never happened and the Ultimates aren't comprised of assholes, wife-beaters and cannibals?

So then a completely different world? Because some of that was established early on(damn millars hide)

Sou Da

Are people really taking covers that literally?

I wonder how much it kills Ross inside to have to paint post silver age designs that he didn't make.

What if Hickman is going to show us what could have been with 1610 before it goes away? A world where Ultimatum never happened and the Ultimates were never comprised of assholes, wife-beaters and cannibals?

After today's NA I'm so hyped for more of this story.

I can't believe how much shit they stuffed into today's NA. So hyped. So, so hyped

Are people really taking covers that literally?

I wonder how much it kills Ross inside to have to paint post silver age designs that he didn't make.

I'm not sure how else you'd really take those covers.

PsychBat!

Banned
Okay.

Top Bottom