• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

duckroll

Can Hickmann just overtake everything at Marvel? Clone the guy and kick Bendis out.

That would be the most boring thing ever. There are many different ways to tell interesting stories in comics, and Hickman's style is pretty narrow. He just uses the same narrative devices over and over. It's good in isolation, but why would you want everything to be like that? It's as stupid as the "Platinum should make every game" crap on Gaming.

That would be the most boring thing ever. There are many different ways to tell interesting stories in comics, and Hickman's style is pretty narrow. He just uses the same narrative devices over and over. It's good in isolation, but why would you want everything to be like that? It's as stupid as the "Platinum should make every game" crap on Gaming.

absolutely true.

However, if you had said "Dan Slott should write ALL the books?" NOW you're talking

duckroll

I don't read the current Spider-man stuff, but a friend recommended his Human Torch/Spider-man miniseries, and that was pretty funny!

Funny title, but I'm really not arguing over semantics; I honestly don't think there will be any significant changes to 616 continuity.

Although I'm probably overthinking it, given how generally abused the term "reboot" is these days (see: the X-Files revival that is obviously a continuation being labeled such by multiple Hollywood trades).

That was the only good thing about Slott's run

ylnOuKy.gif

nah, that would be bringing back Spider-Man 2099 into mainstream continuity again.

If you aren't reading Peter David's SpiderMan 2099 book, you probably should be. Miguel vs. the Steampunk Sinister Six was amazing as hell

that too.

I haven't read David's new 2099 book since I haven't read his last 2099 series yet. I like the character though.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
lol

whispers in to Parallax's ear: SpOck rules

Why must you turn this thread into a house of lies?

nah, that would be bringing back Spider-Man 2099 into mainstream continuity again.

If you aren't reading Peter David's SpiderMan 2099 book, you probably should be. Miguel vs. the Steampunk Sinister Six was amazing as hell

Its a shame x-factor ended. He clearly had some endgame aspirations in place in the last issue.

Big Time and SPider Island were good as well. ALso he gave us modern Kaine.

IHaveIce

Banned
I just want bendis out and someone capable doing guardians and the avengers series

Slott run started doing the things that some people hate as soon as he brought the Hobgoblin back IMO.

I didn't like the Big Time story, I didn't like that he killed JJJ's wife, the whole plot of JJJ's dad marrying aunt may was stupid as well but I don't think that was all his fault, I don't like how he ruined Carlie Cooper and Peter's relationship and turned Carlie into a monster, and how he made Flash become dudebro Venom. He relaunched Spider-Man with a new #1 and instead of being something exciting it was the most boring comic I ever read with a half naked spider man fighting a bunch of talking animals like something out of a schumacher film.

I also think Humberto Ramos is the worst artist in the business and its a crime that Rob Liefeld is shitted on by everyone yet Ramos gets off scott free.

NexusCell

I didn't like the Big Time story, I didn't like that he killed JJJ's wife, the whole plot of JJJ's dad marrying aunt may was stupid as well but I don't think that was all his fault, I don't like how he ruined Carlie Cooper and Peter's relationship and turned Carlie into a monster, and how he made Flash become dudebro Venom. He relaunched Spider-Man with a new #1 and instead of being something exciting it was the most boring comic I ever read with a half naked spider man fighting a bunch of talking animals like something out of a schumacher film.

I also think Humberto Ramos is the worst artist in the business and its a crime that Rob Liefeld is shitted on by everyone yet Ramos gets off scott free.

It thought everyone hated Carlie because she was a stand in/inspired by Quesada's daughter or some crap like that (Didn't get into reading Spiderman till a few issues into Superior)

VeeP

"Dudebro" Venom was great, and it led to Remenders Venom series, which was Spectacular.

He also gave us Spider-Fu. Seriously, Peters training panels with Shang Chi were great. Someone post that shit.

edit: ^^^ A lot of people dislike Carly on these forums.

TruHero

Banned
How many issues is this event supposed to occur over? Will there be a bunch of tie-ins?

I'm thinking I may wait for the hardcover if there's going to be a lot of comics for this event.

Sandfox

I liked the big time since it was moving Peter out of the status quo a bit and he was even close to getting back with MJ until Superior happened...

Nobody liked Carlie even before her personality got worse and Slott has done quite a bit to annoy older fans. I also feel his current run is weaker than the pre-superior one.

I liked the big time since it was moving Peter out of the status quo a bit and he was even close to getting back with MJ until Superior happened...

Nobody liked Carlie even before her personality got worse and Slott has done quite a bit to annoy older fans. I also feel his current run is weaker than the pre-superior one.

I loved Carlie. She was a way better fit for Peter than some beauty queen super model.

Afrodium

Banned
How many issues is this event supposed to occur over? Will there be a bunch of tie-ins?

I'm thinking I may wait for the hardcover if there's going to be a lot of comics for this event.

Marvel is saying that every single book will be affected by Secret Wars, so you bet your ass there's gonna be lots of tie-ins.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

The first few arcs of this run fell really flat for me. The Black Cat stuff especially. Digging Spider-Verse though. And yes Carlie Cooper and that entire Brand New Day subplot with Lilly was super boring.

Sandfox

Nobody posted it but the Inhuman books will have the Battleworld branding.

Kick-Ass, Starlight and his Fantastic Four run with Bryan Hitch show he's still great on his own.

Kick-Ass took a weird direction after the first book.

The first few arcs of this run fell really flat for me. The Black Cat stuff especially. Digging Spider-Verse though. And yes Carlie Cooper and that entire Brand New Day subplot with Lilly was super boring.

Slott has seemingly ruined Black Cat.

Dalek

Slott has been a mixed bag for me. I don't like what he did with JJJ, Carly was annoying and Alpha was a big bore. But the whole Superior Spider-Man story, everything at Horizon Labs and Spider-Verse I loved.

And yes, Ramos is just fucking awful. If I had my way, he and Greg Land would never see a Marvel stamped paycheck again.

Cth

So, while we're on the topic of re-reading old stuff for clues..

Remember this quote about A+X #1?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=41033
"And these stories are all grounded. They take place in continuity. Part of the fun is that you'll see in some stories like what Jeph has planned for Wolverine and Hulk where he's definitely making the start of something. It's not something that's going to start next month, but he's laying seeds."

And to refresh your memory of what happened..

It featured the Maestro and Old Man Logan being sent by a Red Hulk from the future to kill his younger self. And since some worlds are being merged/etc for Battleworld, I'm guessing OML and Future Imperfect get merged.

graffix13

And yes, Ramos is just fucking awful. If I had my way, he and Greg Land would never see a Marvel stamped paycheck again.

Ohhh I agree. I pretty much dropped ASM due to Ramos.

And I am a huge Uncanny X-Men fan and had to suffer through Land for what seemed like eternity.

Top Bottom