• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

I've also been reading up on Ultimate Reed. As someone who tried to stay as far away from Ultimate as possible, I pretty much just see that entire line of books as his supervillain origin story and now that's coming to a head with him crossing over into 616 haha

I did read Ultimate FF when it started but the new stuff and first arc didn't really grab me

E the Shaggy

Get on the hyyyppeee trrraiinnn

7wz2Hwc.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I've also been reading up on Ultimate Reed. As someone who tried to stay as far away from Ultimate as possible, I pretty much just see that entire line of books as his supervillain origin story and now that's coming to a head with him crossing over into 616 haha

I did read Ultimate FF when it started but the new stuff and first arc didn't really grab me
There's a great ultimate Reed reading list out there somewhere, I used one of those. Worth it, even if the rest of the ultimate universe is kinda crap.

Slayven

Ultimate Reed is basically Dr. Doom
Nah

Ultimate Mad Thinker and Ultimate Namor were kind of cool.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

ultf4 is one of the two series out of the line that i liked. it kinda peaked with the crossover arc, but was still pretty good. its also the only non red sun thing made by millar that i liked

There's a great ultimate Reed reading list out there somewhere, I used one of those. Worth it, even if the rest of the ultimate universe is kinda crap.

cool let me know if you can track it down, I'd love to give his stuff a proper read at least for full effect

That looks like Jeen on the cover.

yeah thought it was kitty at first but after enlarging the pic, looks more like Young Jean Grey

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
cool let me know if you can track it down, I'd love to give his stuff a proper read at least for full effect

Couldn't find it again, I totally would have linked earlier. I think basically it was Ultimate Enemy, Ultimate Mystery, and Ultimate Doom, and after that Hickman's Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates, and I think (!) there was an even newer one after that in the latest Ultimates run.

Sandfox

They retconned a lot of the stuff Reed did so he's not really all that bad and if anything Susan is a worse person than he is.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
So what's the list of alternate universe things I need to read to maximize my Hickman Avengers/New Avengers / Infinity / Secret Wars enjoyment?

I've read Ultimate Spider-Man (all of Peter, most of Miles) and I'm guessing that Reed list as well.

Any others?

Voror

I rather hope that whenever they put the omnibus out for his runs, they put them together in the proper reading order. I seem to remember seeing this discussed and it being said they did it for his FF run (which I've never gotten around to reading for whatever reason).

I'm only curious if that would mean that Infinity or Secret Wars would be part of that omnibus or if I should go ahead and get those collections.

Was Infinity any good actually?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
So what's the list of alternate universe things I need to read to maximize my Hickman Avengers/New Avengers / Infinity / Secret Wars enjoyment?

I've read Ultimate Spider-Man (all of Peter, most of Miles) and I'm guessing that Reed list as well.

Any others?
On Marvel.com is a list with every country of Battleworld. But its years of comics in content, I think its enough to read it all up on neogaf.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but that was Humphries. To be expected.

It's super depressing to read now that Ultimates was a book Hickman really wanted to do for a long time, but getting swamped by the New 52 launching killed his run on the book early.

jph139

I rather hope that whenever they put the omnibus out for his runs, they put them together in the proper reading order. I seem to remember seeing this discussed and it being said they did it for his FF run (which I've never gotten around to reading for whatever reason).

I'm only curious if that would mean that Infinity or Secret Wars would be part of that omnibus or if I should go ahead and get those collections.

Was Infinity any good actually?

I really liked Infinity - it doesn't hold a candle to Annihilation as far as Marvel space operas go, but it's head-and-shoulders above most of their crossover events.

Though I found the ending kind of anti-climactic.

Dalek

I really liked Infinity - it doesn't hold a candle to Annihilation as far as Marvel space operas go, but it's head-and-shoulders above most of their crossover events.

Though I found the ending kind of anti-climactic.

It is anti-climactic but it has that amazing Mjonir scene.

Mudcrab

New Brevoort interview, confirms (even) more explicitly that there will be ongoings launching during SW. Not a whole lot of news, though.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=58961

Good read. I liked this bit:

Brevoort said:
They do in that Jonathan's original idea for "Secret Wars" was something that he pitched to me and that we talked about before he was ever on "Avengers." It's far enough back that I can't quite remember if he was on "Fantastic Four" yet, or if he was going to be taking over "Fantastic Four," or if he was just working on "Secret Warriors." When he first pitched this idea of a "Secret Wars" book, it was back then. Then in the aftermath of "Avengers vs. X-Men," the Avengers books were open and we talked about doing "Avengers." That's where he said, "Okay, why don't we do the 'Secret Wars' idea here?" And that's the direction we've been headed towards ever since.

So as an actual on the books, in comics idea, it goes back at least as far as the #1 issue of this current volume of "Avengers," but as a concept it goes back further. In fact, there are little seeds sprinkled through things that Jonathan did earlier that are relevant.

So this doesn't predate Jonathan's time at Marvel then?

No, it does not.

SoilBreak

Banned
Marvel Comics Is Launching Secret Wars 2099

Secret_Wars_2099-720x1100.jpg

This May, Marvel is launching a new comic called Secret Wars 2099 by writer Peter David and artist Will Sliney. The current ongoing Spider-Man 2099 series, by the same creative team, will come to an end and it's story will continue in Secret Wars 2099.

We have your exclusive first look at the cover, the solicit text, a few character sketches, and some info from David himself.

Avengers2099_Cap.jpg

Avengers2099_IronMan.jpg

Avengers2099_Hawkeye_BlackWidow.jpg

Mudcrab

The current ongoing Spider-Man 2099 series, by the same creative team, will come to an end and it's story will continue in Secret Wars 2099.

So this will still be Miguel's story I presume? Hope we get some Punisher and Doom 2099 in this too.

jph139

They also updated their Battleworld map (HERE). Here's the new regions and what storylines/characters they link to.

Egyptia - Future Imperfect (as speculated)
The Regency - One More Day (interesting - so is it a universe WITHOUT One More Day? I was assuming it was "Baby May was never kidnapped")
New Quack City - Howard the Duck (obviously)
2099 - Marvel 2099 (obviously)
Hala Field - Captain Marvel (no idea what this one could mean)
The Wastelands - Old Man Logan (as we've known)
Perfection - Age of Ultron (as we've known)
New Xandar - Infinity Gauntlet (as we've known)

And ravage 2099

this is the second female Captain America they announced.

There's never been a comic that screamed "we don't know what the hell to do with this property" like Ravage 2099.

Everyone else got a fresh coat of paint and new plotlines when 2099 got refreshed into 2099 AD. Ravage got shot into space to get rid of him, never to be spoken of again.

Slayven

There's never been a comic that screamed "we don't know what the hell to do with this property" like Ravage 2099.

Everyone else got a fresh coat of paint and new plotlines when 2099 got refreshed into 2099 AD. Ravage got shot into space to get rid of him, never to be spoken of again.

Breaking my heart. I think I still got Ravage number 1 somewhere.

Breaking my heart. I think I still got Ravage number 1 somewhere.

I have damn near the entire run. Imagine a 13 year old me saving his lunch money for every issue, thinking "this HAS to get better. No comic can be this bad for this long".

It didn't, and it was

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I have damn near the entire run. Imagine a 13 year old me saving his lunch money for every issue, thinking "this HAS to get better. No comic can be this bad for this long".

It didn't, and it was

bloodlines. was in the same boat. trash that wouldnt stop.

Top Bottom