• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

Slayven

I have damn near the entire run. Imagine a 13 year old me saving his lunch money for every issue, thinking "this HAS to get better. No comic can be this bad for this long".

It didn't, and it was

That is how I felt about X-men 2099, only kept getting it because I loved Meanstreak.

jph139

Perhaps another universe in which Mar-Vell didn't die of cancer, or perhaps it's just straight up the cancerverse.

I was assuming it'd have something to do with Mar-Vell - I mean, as far as "dominoes" in Marvel history he's one of the biggest - but the page links to Carol, which is what strikes me. But like Mudcrab said above it could just be referring to "Captain Marvel" in general. Or maybe a universe where the Kree rule or something, but focusing on Carol.

Mudcrab

I was assuming it'd have something to do with Mar-Vell - I mean, as far as "dominoes" in Marvel history he's one of the biggest - but the page links to Carol, which is what strikes me. But like Mudcrab said above it could just be referring to "Captain Marvel" in general. Or maybe a universe where the Kree rule or something, but focusing on Carol.

You also got Egyptia and Dystopia mixed up.

Carol Corps

I'm sorry, the what?

Voror

Rather bummed if this means Spider-Man 2099 is over with as it was a good title. Curious if PAD will at least get to wrap up anything before going into this.

No idea on the Regency/OMD thing. I just find it hard to believe that they'd actually go back and undo the deal, as much as I'd want them to.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Rather bummed if this means Spider-Man 2099 is over with as it was a good title. Curious if PAD will at least get to wrap up anything before going into this.

No idea on the Regency/OMD thing. I just find it hard to believe that they'd actually go back and undo the deal, as much as I'd want them to.

im pretty sure this leads into all the 2099 stuff hes been doing as of late.

Just about all new marvel titles like that have been designed as short term limited run sort of things. I don't think Peter David was under the impression this was going to run indefinitely.

Parallax

Wait, has he been doing a lot of 2099 stuff besides Spider-Man? I thought I heard a mention of a 2099 villain showing up in X-Factor or something.

a plan for 2099 is revealed in x-factor. he has a plan for that world

Epic Fail.

Phya la should come back.

bring all the vells back. let them go wild over the title of captain marvel

Voror

Just about all new marvel titles like that have been designed as short term limited run sort of things. I don't think Peter David was under the impression this was going to run indefinitely.

That's what was confusing me since this has been in the works for a while so I suppose I'll just have to imagine things get wrapped up somehow.

a plan for 2099 is revealed in x-factor. he has a plan for that world

Ah, alright.

Seems like things just flow from Spider-Man 2009 into this title, and probably out from that after Secret Wars.

SArcher

Banned
It's super depressing to read now that Ultimates was a book Hickman really wanted to do for a long time, but getting swamped by the New 52 launching killed his run on the book early.

I also read what Hickman said in that EW interview but I'm still not sure what went down. Basically, they launched the book in Autumn 2011 when DC's the New 52 launched and that affected sales. I get that part. Hickman was then on the book until June 2012 (#12). But what happened then? Did Marvel take him off the book hoping that another writer would be better for sales (usually a title is simply cancelled)? Because that sure as hell didn't work, I checked the sales and there was almost zero change in sales. Yet the book was allowed to go on for another 18 issues after Hickman left.

So if those sales numbers were acceptable for Marvel for another 18 issues then why did they boot Hickman in the first place? Or am I misunderstanding and he left on his own?

kirblar

Ultimate U has been in trouble for a long time- USM has been great, but everything else has gone through so many reboots that you don't really know what's going on each time you pick up something.

Ultimate U has been in trouble for a long time- USM has been great, but everything else has gone through so many reboots that you don't really know what's going on each time you pick up something.

Everything was fine until Ultimatum. Marvel did make an effort after that by focusing primarily on Bendis's USM and Millar back on Ultimates but sales were already in decline. By the time Hickman showed up to revamp everything nobody gave a shit anymore. Only thing in recent years that seemed to catch on was Death of Spider-Man/Miles Morales and thats because of all the headlines.

It's a real shame because again despite what everyone says the Ultimate Universe was amazing and what Hickman was doing in his Ultimates run was genre defining. I don't understand why they brought Jeph Loeb in and why they gave him full authority to literally write nonsense and brutally kill off so many beloved characters in the dumbest manner possible.

Everything was fine until Ultimatum. Marvel did make an effort after that by focusing primarily on Bendis's USM and Millar back on Ultimates but sales were already in decline. By the time Hickman showed up to revamp everything nobody gave a shit anymore. Only thing in recent years that seemed to catch on was Death of Spider-Man/Miles Morales and thats because of all the headlines.

It's a real shame because again despite what everyone says the Ultimate Universe was amazing and what Hickman was doing in his Ultimates run was genre defining. I don't understand why they brought Jeph Loeb in and why they gave him full authority to literally write nonsense and brutally kill off so many beloved characters in the dumbest manner possible.

Hmm, I can't say I agree. Ultimatum was fucking terrible, no question, but in the worst-case scenario, it merely hastened the already-commenced creative and commercial decline of the Ultimate U. If Marvel wasn't convinced that the line needed a serious shakeup by 2008, I don't believe they'd have given Loeb carte blanche to kill off so many characters.

I think, in general, people are prone to overestimate the importance of the reboot factor to the Ultimate U's glory days (though it did have its importance, at least in the years before the line built up its own convoluted continuity), and to underestimate the significance of the Ultimate U having initially offered a distinct set of creative voices and styles of storytelling from 616. So while I personally doubt that the Ultimate U could ever have become a decades-long success story (I see it as too much a product of the Jemas era for that) I wouldn't point to Ultimatum as the point where its doom became inevitable. I'd point to Bendis' Avengers in 2004 and Civil War two years later instead. As soon as Marvel started blurring the creative lines between Ultimate and 616, the former lost a huge chunk of the rationale for its existence, even if it took a few years for that to really be felt.

Hmm, I can't say I agree. Ultimatum was fucking terrible, no question, but in the worst-case scenario, it merely hastened the already-commenced creative and commercial decline of the Ultimate U. If Marvel wasn't convinced that the line needed a serious shakeup by 2008, I don't believe they'd have given Loeb carte blanche to kill off so many characters.

I think, in general, people are prone to overestimate the importance of the reboot factor to the Ultimate U's glory days (though it did have its importance, at least in the years before the line built up its own convoluted continuity), and to underestimate the significance of the Ultimate U having initially offered a distinct set of creative voices and styles of storytelling from 616. So while I personally doubt that the Ultimate U could ever have become a decades-long success story (I see it as too much a product of the Jemas era for that) I wouldn't point to Ultimatum as the point where its doom became inevitable. I'd point to Bendis' Avengers in 2004 and Civil War two years later instead. As soon as Marvel started blurring the creative lines between Ultimate and 616, the former lost a huge chunk of the rationale for its existence, even if it took a few years for that to really be felt.

I will somewhat agree with this. I definitely followed Bendis and Millar to the 616 universe after exclusively only buying Ultimate stuff as far as Marvel was concerned. I think the very first 616 Marvel books I ever bought in my life were New Avengers #1 and Marvel Knights Spider-Man.

Still though the line did last 15 years and USM continues to sell well to this day. Not to mention that the line has had a tremendous impact on Marvel's product outside of comics from movies to tv to video games etc. The same can't be said for just about any other attempt at a comic universe outside of the main DC and Marvel earths.

Still though the line did last 15 years and USM continues to sell well to this day. Not to mention that the line has had a tremendous impact on Marvel's product outside of comics from movies to tv to video games etc. The same can't be said for just about any other attempt at a comic universe outside of the main DC and Marvel earths.

USM has been declining for a while now AFAIK, even if it's still well above the cancellation threshold.

And while it's absolutely true that the Ultimate U has been far more influential than any other attempt at an alternate-universe imprint I can think of, I don't think that contradicts the notion that it was very much a product of the early 2000s and came with a built-in expiration date.

Carol Corps needs protection? The fuck, Slay?

Well... they are not Britain corps, Nova corps, Hulk, Captain Universe and so forth and they are dealing with Thanos, Ultrons, omega mutants, Hulks, and so forth....and do we really need to recall what one Hulk did to Carol?

Slayven

Carol Corps needs protection? The fuck, Slay?
A entire army of Carol Danvers? Hell yes the only thing worse would be an army of Jessica Drews.

I mean if it was the Moonstone Corps, The Legend of Photon/Spectrum, or The Sisterhood of Sersi, man I would cry for anyone who tired to fuck with them.
Well... they are not Britain corps, Nova corps, Hulk, Captain Universe and so forth and they are dealing with Thanos, Ultrons, omega mutants, Hulks, and so forth....and do we really need to recall what one Hulk did to Carol?

Without breaking a sweat.

SoilBreak

Banned
BHpmgW6.jpg

We've seen Punisher's war journal, but now the entire Marvel universe is getting in on the act with the newly announced Secret Wars Journal limited series.

Spinning out of the Secret Wars crossover event, Secret Wars Journal is an anthology series spearheaded by Marvel editor Jake Thomas which promises to feature off-beat stories with classic Marvel characters as well as off-beat stars to match.

“We’ve got a few crazy twists on some old favorites, but we’ve also got some real fun explorations of some of the zanier corners of the Marvel Universe as well,” Thomas says. "We’ve got a fun riff on Millie the Model that made me laugh when we pitched it and tear up when I read the outline. We’ve got a Night Nurse—You heard me right, kids! Night Nurse!—story that is going to be killer, an intense X-Men story, a completely bonkers Misty Knight and Paladin tale. Honestly, there are times I can’t believe I’m getting away with this stuff.”

Thomas calls the focus of Secret Wars Journal as "experimental" and creator-driven, but doesn't go into detail as to what creators are involved.

That being said, Thomas itterates that the anthology series will "tie in very directly" with the core Secret Wars storylines, while also offering visits to some of the territories in Battleworld that no other series will touch on.

Marvel did not identify how manuy issues the limited series will run.

http://www.newsarama.com/23433-marvel-rolls-out-another-secret-wars-title-secret-wars-journal.html

Mudcrab

I would lay crazy money on star wars being established somewhere in the marvel U by the time secret wars is done. Though not the current cast- that story was supposedly ancient history, if episode IV is to be believed. The "Cyclops" mini series pretty much is a star wars type space opera, so it's not like there isn't room or precedent to go that route with established characters.

Am I really going to have to eat some crow on this one?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
G-g-gentlemen! Control yours loins.
from comicgaf
secret-wars-03.jpg

Izzat namor under Reed's left testicle?
Yup its the full Cabal.
Namor got betrayed by Black Panther.

Wait so the Cabal gets their own Reed? As if I couldn't get more hyped.

Yup.
Though we still dont know if U.Reed will align himself with them....rather if they will align themselves with him.
6mRwhE5.jpg

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Yup its the full Cabal.
Namor got betrayed by Black Panther.

Yup.
Though we still dont know if U.Reed will align himself with them....rather if they will align themselves with him.
6mRwhE5.jpg

God yes. Gimme!

Parallax

Id call it a betrayal.
They werent friends but were supposed to be working together at that point.

So yeah Betrayal.

they were enemies. they werent working together. tchalla had no place in namors mission, and namors declaraction and defection had his own demise coming

they were enemies. they werent working together. tchalla had no place in namors mission, and namors declaraction and defection had his own demise coming

It was an Illuminati plan and Tchalla is still a member. That aside, Tchalla vowed that AFTER the incursion crisis was over he would kill Namor. It is clearly not over yet and so I use this technicality to rule in favor of the semantic - betrayal.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It was an Illuminati plan and Tchalla is still a member. That aside, Tchalla vowed that AFTER the incursion crisis was over he would kill Namor. It is clearly not over yet and so I use this technicality to rule in favor of the semantic - betrayal.

Thats pretty much how i saw it.
But maybe i shoulda just said got the better of, or chose to strike when Namor was pretty comfortable with the plan.

Kill Namor....not likely, he just survived a stab, a shout from BlackBolt and a pretty hefty fall.
Plus he has luck on his side sending him to the Ultimate Universe......Namor The Sub-Mariner aint going anywhere anytime soon.

I see their feud lasting quite a while.

Top Bottom