• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

Neoxon

Marvel.com has revealed more information about a eight more of the domains that make up Battleworld, the mash-up realm at the heart of May's massive "Secret Wars" event. While the names for most all of the chunks of land constituting Battleworld have been known for some time, information regarding the Marvel eras and/or characters featured within the domains have been kept secret. The latest batch of revealed domains include nods to crossovers both old and new, limited series, specific characters and creator runs.

All domains -- both revealed and mysterious -- can be seen on the Secret Wars Interactive Battleworld Map. Today's announcement includes:

King James' England - This domain constitutes the characters and reality established in Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert's 2003 limited series "1602."
Arcadia - The recently announced "A-Force" ongoing from G. Willow Wilson, Marguerite Bennett and Jorge Molina will take place in this domain. The site's text reads, "Arcadia, the dominion of Battleworld’s mightiest heroines! Enter a land only populated by the women who have earned the title of protector, savior and Super Hero. These are the champions of Battleworld who refuse to bow down to oppression and who will always stand against the forces of evil.
Marville - No, Marvel has not devoted a whole domain to Bill Jemas' controversial 2002 limited series starring Kal-AOL Turner. Instead, Marville will be populated by the Marville Babies -- the characters that appear on Skottie Young's various variant covers.
The Eye of Agamotto - This one seems pretty straightforward as it is Dr. Strange's domain.
Arachnia - The recent "Spider-Verse" crossover will set up shop in this domain.
The Warzone - This domain belongs to the events of "Civil War." It's a bit surprising that it's taken this long to assign the event a domain considering that it was the first one announced last fall.
Mutopia - The X-Men from Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's "New X-Men" run will inhabit Mutopia.
Westchester - Another X-Men domain has been announced, this one focusing on the early '90s era. The text on the map reads, "An exciting era for Marvel's mutants! With a larger team roster than ever before, the X-Men face familiar foes like Magneto, new opponents like Omega Red, and monumental threats in their radical 90's exploits!"

According to the interactive map, new information regarding other Battleworld domains is scheduled to be released for the next few Tuesdays. "Secret Wars" #1 by Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribic arrives in May.

EDIT: This marks my 5th attempt at adding the link.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Bendis made a spelling error in one GotG issue that he corrected in the next one.

ok..... so with that said I am wondering if that series is where the descendant of Richard Rider comes from in Guardians 3000. So far that series is an alternative universe but it would be interesting to find out its the actual future post battleworld.

FoneBone

Marvel.com has revealed more information about a eight more of the domains that make up Battleworld, the mash-up realm at the heart of May's massive "Secret Wars" event. While the names for most all of the chunks of land constituting Battleworld have been known for some time, information regarding the Marvel eras and/or characters featured within the domains have been kept secret. The latest batch of revealed domains include nods to crossovers both old and new, limited series, specific characters and creator runs.

All domains -- both revealed and mysterious -- can be seen on the Secret Wars Interactive Battleworld Map. Today's announcement includes:

King James' England - This domain constitutes the characters and reality established in Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert's 2003 limited series "1602."
Arcadia - The recently announced "A-Force" ongoing from G. Willow Wilson, Marguerite Bennett and Jorge Molina will take place in this domain. The site's text reads, "Arcadia, the dominion of Battleworld’s mightiest heroines! Enter a land only populated by the women who have earned the title of protector, savior and Super Hero. These are the champions of Battleworld who refuse to bow down to oppression and who will always stand against the forces of evil.
Marville - No, Marvel has not devoted a whole domain to Bill Jemas' controversial 2002 limited series starring Kal-AOL Turner. Instead, Marville will be populated by the Marville Babies -- the characters that appear on Skottie Young's various variant covers.
The Eye of Agamotto - This one seems pretty straightforward as it is Dr. Strange's domain.
The Warzone - This domain belongs to the events of "Civil War." It's a bit surprising that it's taken this long to assign the event a domain considering that it was the first one announced last fall.
Mutopia - The X-Men from Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's "New X-Men" run will inhabit Mutopia.
Westchester - Another X-Men domain has been announced, this one focusing on the early '90s era. The text on the map reads, "An exciting era for Marvel's mutants! With a larger team roster than ever before, the X-Men face familiar foes like Magneto, new opponents like Omega Red, and monumental threats in their radical 90's exploits!"

According to the interactive map, new information regarding other Battleworld domains is scheduled to be released for the next few Tuesdays. "Secret Wars" #1 by Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribic arrives in May.

Link to the source, for crying out loud.

Is there a check list out there yet? Or even just list of all the tie ins there will be?

It's still a mix of tie-ins and non-tie-ins in May (and no, I don't know if there is a checklist at this point). But starting in June basically all of Marvel Comics (except for the movie/TV adaptations and Star Wars books) will be tying in to the event.

Mudcrab

Everything dies. Even Jersey.

zx1jdIF.jpg

I'm liking the idea behind these "last days of" arc, it's cool to see the characters having to deal with the actual end of their world as they know it.

Still not sure what it means for the books themselves, if they're just ending their current arcs with these or if some of these books won't be returning once Secret Wars begins. I'm mostly just hoping they don't mess with the creative team on Ms. Marvel.

Neoxon

I'm liking the idea behind these "last days of" arc, it's cool to see the characters having to deal with the actual end of their world as they know it.

Still not sure what it means for the books themselves, if they're just ending their current arcs with these or if some of these books won't be returning once Secret Wars begins. I'm mostly just hoping they don't mess with the creative team on Ms. Marvel.
Seeing as Marvel loves Kamala Khan & the positive publicity she's giving them, they probably won't change a single thing about her. That includes her creative team.

deleted

I don't really read comics (besides Hawkguy), but I saw this thread popping up a lot these last few weeks...

What exactly is happening? Do they reset the Marvel Universe using their most beloved storylines with a twist? A lot of this stuff already happened, right? So why am I looking at a Planet Hulk cover featuring Captain America?

I don't really read comics (besides Hawkguy), but I saw this thread popping up a lot these last few weeks...

What exactly is happening? Do they reset the Marvel Universe using their most beloved storylines with a twist? A lot of this stuff already happened, right? So why am I looking at a Planet Hulk cover featuring Captain America?

The event starts in May

Basically the Marvel Universe (616) is smashing into the Ultimate Universe (1610) and the result is this "Battleworld" where parts of different alternate universes are next to each other.

deleted

The event starts in May

Basically the Marvel Universe (616) is smashing into the Ultimate Universe (1610) and the result is this "Battleworld" where parts of different alternate universes are next to each other.

Ah, okay thanks. So Ultimates Spiderman and 616 Spiderman have to coexist or does there have to be one either 616 or Ultimate who prevails for each hero?

Ah, okay thanks. So Ultimates Spiderman and 616 Spiderman have to coexist or does there have to be one either 616 or Ultimate who prevails for each hero?

Marvel isn't really saying what their plans are, but you can rest assured that both Miles and Peter Parker will both survive and carry on into whatever the MU looks like after secret wars.

as for the planet hulk cover, these areas are zones that are "inspired by" or "related to" the original event- it's not a carbon copy of an event that already happened.

deleted

Marvel isn't really saying what their plans are, but you can rest assured that both Miles and Peter Parker will both survive and carry on into whatever the MU looks like after secret wars.

as for the planet hulk cover, these areas are zones that are "inspired by" or "related to" the original event- it's not a carbon copy of an event that already happened.

Ah, I see - interested in what happens then - this is all Marvel Comics, right? So all kind of heroes are affected?

EDIT: This marks my 5th attempt at adding the link.

I have no idea what the fuck is going on with this event.

Mudcrab

Is the guy on the far right a centaur? It looks like he's riding a horse, but I can't see the horse's head, and his torso just kind of blends into the body or whatever.

Or is he just riding a very ill-defined motorcycle?

I do believe that is indeed a centaur Ghost Rider.

All you need to know is Hickman is coming to blow our minds away. Oh and that nothing will ever be the same again etc.etc.

I very rarely click this thread because what I see doesn't make much sense and yet, I'm 100% certain the actual books will, so I figure I'll stay in the dark and enjoy the ride once we get there.
Then again, the more pressing matter for me is what's going to happen before time runs out.

Mudcrab

I very rarely click this thread because what I see doesn't make much sense and yet, I'm 100% certain the actual books will, so I figure I'll stay in the dark and enjoy the ride once we get there.
Then again, the more pressing matter for me is what's going to happen before time runs out.

We'll we've got about three months of Avengers titles left so it should all coalesce pretty soon.

Sebastian Shaw, Apocalypse, Sinister, Ultimate Reed, and is that Maximus? Holy shit.

Totally Maximus and also with what looks like part of Black Swan or Proxima.

Drayco21

Jason Aaron and Sprouse on Thors announced.

Marvel announced Monday a new series titled Thors by All-New Thor writer Jason Aaron and former DC exclusive artist Chris Sprouse. Set to debut in June, Thors is described as a police-style drama with the various Thors from different universes out to "dispense justice."

"This is not about the apocalypse,” says Aaron in the announcement. “It’s about closing cases.”

Aaron describes Thors as a "cop story" but with "hammers instead of guns."

"This is me getting to do Homicide: Life on the Street with lots of cosmic cops," says the writer. "It’s every version of Thor you can imagine, all walking beats, solving murders, getting yelled at by their commissioner and blowing off steam at their local Thor-cop bar."

This is pretty much the greatest pitch I've ever heard.

Holy shit guys, this event.

Mudcrab

Aaron describes Thors as a "cop story" but with "hammers instead of guns."

"This is me getting to do Homicide: Life on the Street with lots of cosmic cops," says the writer. "It’s every version of Thor you can imagine, all walking beats, solving murders, getting yelled at by their commissioner and blowing off steam at their local Thor-cop bar."

Missed opportunity to name this tie-in Thunderstrike: Code Blue.

Sandfox

I thought that got retconned to avoid dick rider jokes..... And yeah I know its a battleworld location but reading Guardians 3000 got me wondering what if that version of rich becomes the new MU version of Nova?
There is no reason to believe that Secret Wars will bring Rider back. If anything they will use the new family of Novas afterwards.
Wordless sneak preview, featuring sad Evan and a Council of Thors.
I need this book now lol
Basically you just need to know that all these spots on battleworld are going to be the building blocks for the Marvel universe after the event.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Fixed that for you (as far as Richie's name spelling goes). But Infinity Gauntlet resides in New Xandar, a Battleworld location.

Oh Xandar...you're going to get blown up again aren't ya? Xandar getting blown up/ decimated is congruent to Green Lanterns being mauled to mark the beginning of a huge event.

Sadist

The info we just got on age of ultron vs marvel zombies makes it sound really good.
*reads synopsis*

Hot damn I kinda want this. Marvel Zombies hasn't been good since MZ2 ended and AoU is hot garbage, but sending in the Vision, Wonderman and the original Torch? Wonder who the mystery guest is.

Slayven

Oh Xandar...you're going to get blown up again aren't ya? Xandar getting blown up/ decimated is congruent to Green Lanterns being mauled to mark the beginning of a huge event.

In one crossover I hope there is a scene of Xanader just getting blown up for no reason or by accident.

graffix13

That's one grumpy-ass Apocalypse. Where's the evil glee of the '90s cartoon?

Yeah the current Apocalypse goes by the name of Evan and he's actually a good guy.

In Remender's X-Force run, Apoc was being cloned and X-Force moved in to kill the Apoc clones. Fantomex actually saved a clone (baby) and raised him to be a good guy. The whole nature vs. nuture thing. If you get a chance I recommend the run. It's good.

Of course after Secret Wars everything is up in the air so we might see the return of evil Apoc.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Bendis made a spelling error in one GotG issue that he corrected in the next one.

Then he got it wrong again in the next one, then the Legendary Star Lord writer also spelled it Ryder as recently as last week.

Top Bottom