• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

Hey so... quick question
i kinda lost track of where my reading of HIckman's new avengers is paused. Was after MM teleported Victor to gods know where. Anyone knows which ish that was?

Mudcrab

Hey so... quick question
i kinda lost track of where my reading of HIckman's new avengers is paused. Was after MM teleported Victor to gods know where. Anyone knows which ish that was?

Actually it was New Avengers 27 when MM ported them and New Avengers 29 is the next time we see them.

Mudcrab

valeria fleshing out to be a full character, while they keep franklin in the multiversal basement. and how is she getting older?

Hickman loves Franklin I'm willing to bet he won't be left out for long, plus he's had a few cameos in his Avengers run. I don't know if she's gotten older of if it's just Noto's art.

You do know that the fact all that stuff is happening now rather than after Secret Wars goes completely against the idea of a hard reboot to the Marvel Universe. Why do all these changes now when Marvel could just wait for the hard reboot to invoke these changes and just say "Welp, Secret Wars!"?

Because they want to ease people in. If they do it all at once new 52 style people are mor win lined to freak out and start fan petitions and boycotts. Doing it slowly and getting things established before making final adjustments iwith secret wars is the smart way to play. Also it's not going to be a hard reboot it will be a soft one like The New 52 and Zero Hour were.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Franklin wanted to be the younger sibling for awhile.

i would age him to a teenager and put him on an x squad. its kinda crazy how the power pack have grown up around him(minus jack and katie i guess? i dont know what happened to those two) but hes still rounding out single digits

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
valeria fleshing out to be a full character, while they keep franklin in the multiversal basement. and how is she getting older?

Her getting older is long overdue. She's still a three year old or something in current continuity while most artists draw her looking like an 8 year old. For some reason a Reed Richards level intellect on a three year old stretches my disbelief way further than a dude shooting punch dimension beams out of his eyes.

Parallax

Her getting older is long overdue. She's still a three year old or something in current continuity while most artists draw her looking like an 8 year old. For some reason a Reed Richards level intellect on a three year old stretches my disbelief way further than a dude shooting punch dimension beams out of his eyes.

im not questioning her getting older. its just her looking like a preteen while franklin still looks the same is my issue. they both need to be getting older. william grant and danielle cage too while theyre at it

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
im not questioning her getting older. its just her looking like a preteen while franklin still looks the same is my issue. they both need to be getting older. william grant and danielle cage too while theyre at it

Didn't notice Franklin is staying the same.

Sandfox

This book could bring some interesting things forward.
She's almost never drawn looking anywhere near the age the character is supposed to be (3 or 4, I think). Most artists just don't seem to be very good at drawing small children.

This is completely true.

i would age him to a teenager and put him on an x squad. its kinda crazy how the power pack have grown up around him(minus jack and katie i guess? i dont know what happened to those two) but hes still rounding out single digits

Why would you put a completely broken character in a team? All it'd do is make the whole team irrelevant o_o

Slayven

When Marvel going to announce the Live Wires tiein?

Livewires_Vol_1_4.jpg

A dude named Hollow Point Ninja needs another shot at the big time.

Says who?

Disney

Think about it...this the only time in Marvel history where there is a hit movie and they are not pushing the characters in the comics. No hardcover collections of old material, no new series, no team up books. Compare that to what they have done with Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Captain America this year and the onslaught of Avengers books coming in the next couple of months.

The biggest reason why they can't use them is because they think if they disassociate it from Marvel then maybe they can use the characters in Walt Disney World (They are not allowed to use Marvel properties inside the parks in FL) on the grounds its an animated movie that has little to do with the source material.

Slayven

Disney

Think about it...this the only time in Marvel history where there is a hit movie and they are not pushing the characters in the comics. No hardcover collections of old material, no new series, no team up books. Compare that to what they have done with Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Captain America this year and the onslaught of Avengers books coming in the next couple of months.

The biggest reason why they can't use them is because they think if they disassociate it from Marvel then maybe they can use the characters in Walt Disney World (They are not allowed to use Marvel properties inside the parks in FL) on the grounds its an animated movie that has little to do with the source material.

tin-foil-hat.jpg

dcelw540

Can anyone help me, I want to read marvel comics but these secret wars how many comics are there? I keep seeing more and more being announced and is spider-gwen going to stay or will it be effected by these secret wars?

Can anyone help me, I want to read marvel comics but these secret wars how many comics are there? I keep seeing more and more being announced and is spider-gwen going to stay or will it be effected by these secret wars?

Spider-Gwen is going to stay for awhile. She will be in Secret Wars though as it includes the entire Marvel catalogue of characters.

Slayven

It's not a conspiracy. Either discuss with me or go get a better understanding of business instead of insulting me

You are jumping to multiple hoops to explain something that is as simple as "Marvel is in the middle of a big thing and of all the things they want to include Big Hero 6 is faaaaaarrr down the list. Below The Douglock one shot and a new Clan Destine Mini." Wouldn't be surprise if they show up on battle world somewhere

Where the fuck do you get all that crazy from?
Here's the characters Universal can use:
Attractions (Characters licensed for the attraction use, but not necessarily for walk-around. Some in the attractions list are also licensed for walk-around, but not all.): Spider-Man, Doc Oc, Scream, Electro, Hydro-Man, Hobgoblin, J. Jonah Jameson, Hulk/Bruce Banner, Dr. Doom, Fantastic Four (as a group, not individually), Storm, Magneto, Professor X.

Walk around and/or Shop: Green Goblin, Cyclops, Rogue, Wolverine, Fantastic 4 (restaurant / walk around), Captain America (restaurant / walk around), Kingpin (shop / walk around), Merch (shop)
And that's that.

Sauce

All the rest, Disney can do whatever the fuck they like, provided there are no other conflicting and still standing contracts.

Either way, other players wont magically be able to start using Big Hero 6 if they show up somewhere else.
--

More details explaining how Disney bringing GotG to Disney Florida.

Parallax

Why would you put a completely broken character in a team? All it'd do is make the whole team irrelevant o_o

they put broken ass dudes on teams all the time. why did the dark avengers need to exist when sentry can do it all? because people like to see daken roast normans ass

When Marvel going to announce the Live Wires tiein?

Livewires_Vol_1_4.jpg

A dude named Hollow Point Ninja needs another shot at the big time.

didnt they all get fucked up at the end? or am i thinking of some other team?

J10

Banned
they put broken ass dudes on teams all the time. why did the dark avengers need to exist when sentry can do it all? because people like to see daken roast normans ass

didnt they all get fucked up at the end? or am i thinking of some other team?

I liked watching Mac Gargan turn softer than baby shit when his medication was too strong.

Parallax

I liked watching Mac Gargan turn softer than baby shit when his medication was too strong.

daken had him feeling real awkward too. so fucking hilarious. id love a marvel/dc crossover where daken and midnighter meet, and just hit on each other constantly while fighting mooks

You are jumping to multiple hoops to explain something that is as simple as "Marvel is in the middle of a big thing and of all the things they want to include Big Hero 6 is faaaaaarrr down the list. Below The Douglock one shot and a new Clan Destine Mini." Wouldn't be surprise if they show up on battle world somewhere

with x factor ending, maybe well get a douglock mini

mreddie

And that's that.

Sauce

All the rest, Disney can do whatever the fuck they like, provided there are no other conflicting and still standing contracts.

Either way, other players wont magically be able to start using Big Hero 6 if they show up somewhere else.
--

Interesting, so Spidey/Hulk are still off limits while everyone else is fair game?

Yet Howard the Duck and Guardians of the Galaxy will have multiple books/apperances throughout Secret Wars. Big Hero 6 won an Oscar and was a box office smash yet they will have zero presences in Secret Wars despite every single Marvel movie property being represented and even the most obscure Marvel properties being featured including Mindy the Model and Phantom Eagle who appeared in a handful of WW2 comics.

And that's that.

Sauce

--

Disney cannot use any marvel characters in FL. I know this for a fact as I work for Disney. You need to do more research or ask around. The actual contract between Marvel and Universal was actually posted on WDWmagic.com and even a few lawyers who post on the site went through the contract and explained it.

With Big Hero 6 they are trying to make an exception by arguing that the film is so completely different from the Marvel source material that its a built from the ground up animation IP.

The Guardians of the Galaxy preview they did in the park was done in the theater with all simulation elements removed and the Marvel Studios logo removed (at Disneyland it actually had 4-D effects and the Marvel logo). They made the case they were previewing an upcoming Disney film and that it would not be called an attraction.

Interesting, so Spidey/Hulk are still off limits while everyone else is fair game?

Disney cannot use any marvel characters in the parks in Florida. They have pushed the boundaries of skirting this by having Marvel promotions outside the parks (Downtown Disney, character stickers on the Monorails), calling the Guardians of the Galaxy preview in the Studios park "part of a preview of upcoming Disney films", and are in the process of seeing if they can use the Big Hero 6 characters on the basis its completely unrelated to the original Marvel team. They will never be able to use Cap, Ant-Man, Rocket Raccoon, etc. inside the park in rides, shows, attractions, or character meet and greets.

Parallax

Yet Howard the Duck and Guardians of the Galaxy will have multiple books/apperances throughout Secret Wars. Big Hero 6 won an Oscar and was a box office smash yet they will have zero presences in Secret Wars despite every single Marvel movie property being represented and even the most obscure Marvel properties being featured including Mindy the Model and Phantom Eagle who appeared in a handful of WW2 comics.

Disney cannot use any marvel characters in FL. I know this for a fact as I work for Disney. You need to do more research or ask around. The actual contract between Marvel and Universal was actually posted on WDWmagic.com and even a few lawyers who post on the site went through the contract and explained it.

With Big Hero 6 they are trying to make an exception by arguing that the film is so completely different from the Marvel source material that its a built from the ground up animation IP.

The Guardians of the Galaxy preview they did in the park was done in the theater with all simulation elements removed and the Marvel Studios logo removed (at Disneyland it actually had 4-D effects and the Marvel logo). They made the case they were previewing an upcoming Disney film and that it would not be called an attraction.

none of that explains why the big hero 6 team can no longer be used. not being used in secret wars doesnt mean they cant be used

and you work for disney? in what capacity?

none of that explains why the big hero 6 team can no longer be used. not being used in secret wars doesnt mean they cant be used

and you work for disney? in what capacity?

I was explaining to someone else why Disney can't use the characters at WDW. They won't be used in Secret Wars because Disney wants the brand to be associated with Walt Disney Feature Animation and not Marvel Comics/Marvel Studios.

To answer your second question, mid-level management at the Disney parks

You don't have to take Rich Johnston at face value to think that the lack of any tie-in BH6 comics or even reprints suggests a very weird case of corporate politics at work.

Neoxon

Disney cannot use any marvel characters in the parks in Florida. They have pushed the boundaries of skirting this by having Marvel promotions outside the parks (Downtown Disney, character stickers on the Monorails), calling the Guardians of the Galaxy preview in the Studios park "part of a preview of upcoming Disney films", and are in the process of seeing if they can use the Big Hero 6 characters on the basis its completely unrelated to the original Marvel team. They will never be able to use Cap, Ant-Man, Rocket Raccoon, etc. inside the park in rides, shows, attractions, or character meet and greets.
Couldn't they work out another contract or something?

Couldn't they work out another contract or something?

Yes but just like with Fox they are reluctant to do so as it would be expensive and the other party may not be all that interested. Don't forget Universal has a big Marvel presence in Islands of Adventure with the Spider-Man ride being a huge draw for them. They have been enjoying the popularity of Marvel movies for the last decade so it would not be in their best interest to give up the rights unless Disney coughs up some serious cash and Universal has more popular franchises waiting in the wings as a replacement (there would also be very large demolish costs to consider as well). Honestly its about as unlikely as Disney regaining the rights to X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man.

You don't have to take Rich Johnston at face value to think that the lack of any tie-in BH6 comics or even reprints suggests a very weird case of corporate politics at work.

Thank You.

How can these people not to think its weird that at a minimum every MCU character has their own book and in the case of recent films like Guardians of the Galaxy have 6 different ongoings running at the same time with several more announced. They even relaunched Amazing Spider-Man with Peter Parker, a new #1, and the initial story having him fight a now darkened up Electro just to tie into a movie that they only own the merchandising rights for.

Neoxon

Yes but just like with Fox they are reluctant to do so as it would be expensive and the other party may not be all that interested. Don't forget Universal has a big Marvel presence in Islands of Adventure with the Spider-Man ride being a huge draw for them. They have been enjoying the popularity of Marvel movies for the last decade so it would not be in their best interest to give up the rights unless Disney coughs up some serious cash and Universal has more popular franchises waiting in the wings as a replacement (there would also be very large demolish costs to consider as well). Honestly its about as unlikely as Disney regaining the rights to X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man.
The Fantastic Four have a chance to return to Marvel/Disney, but that depends on if the reboot flops. Spider-Man also has a shot depending on if Sony Pictures can keep themselves afloat or not (I recall Variety reporting that Disney is positioning themselves to where they can eventually buy back Spidey in full somehow). You have a point with the X-Men, though, Fox finally got the hang of things & they don't want to screw it up again.

Parallax

there are tons of teams that have nothing though. and its not like big hero 6 had a presence before the movie. mi 13 doesnt have anything going on, theres no alpha flight/omega flight, panther doesnt seem to have anything, and he has a movie tie in like cap marvel. popular stories and current ongoings seem to be the name of the game for this series, and seeing as how they have neither, theyre gonna have to ride the pine for this one. that is until marvel shows off the big hero 6 plot on battleworld

Top Bottom