• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Secret Wars Hype Thread - Where we argue about what "reboot" means

graffix13

I try to keep my pull list down to only a few books, but wow...some of these announcements are going to make me break.

I REALLY want to know how all of this is going to play out and form the new Marvel Universe, but I'm going to enjoy the ride until then.

jph139

Again, new Battleworld regions updated on the main map.

GREENLAND: Planet Hulk
NEW MARS: Killraven
MONSTER METROPOLIS: Monster Metropolis
THE CITY: The Korvac Saga
THE FAR EAST: Where Monsters Dwell
VALLEY OF FLAME: Devil Dinosaur
THE HYDRA EMPIRE: HYDRA
LIMBO: Inferno
THE DEADLANDS: Marvel Zombies

I think the only real surprise here is that The City isn't Ultimate Reed's but the setting of the Korvac Saga.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

I think the only real surprise here is that The City isn't Ultimate Reed's but the setting of the Korvac Saga.

ummm...what?

Mudcrab

Yeah that's surprising about the City, also surprised about New Mars.

Edit: Wait a minute. Abnett said Korvac's domain was called The Forest Hills and Wonderman's The Holy Wood. So do those both make up what's called The City?

Slayven

Monster Metropolis :
11278-2584-12500-1-werewolf-by-night.jpg

MonsterOfFrankenstein1.jpg

Far East:

img_0787.png

marvelmonsters.jpg

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
For real though; Earth X is in there somewhere right? The Secret Wars 1 cover has some of the Iron Avengers.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
i need a western daredevil and moon knight soonish

love that the town is called timely too.

has there been a bad idea in this event so far?

Dalek

Holy shit!

MORRISON-Era X-MEN Return In E IS FOR EXTINCTION

Grant Morrison's New X-Men are about to get All-New.

Thursday Marvel announced a new Secret Wars series (their second of the day ) revitalizing Morrison's new mutants titled E Is For Extinction, via ComicVine. Taking its name from the first arc of New X-Men, E Is For Extinction will be illustrated by Ramon Villalobos and written by artist-turned-writer Chris Burnham. The series will feature these mutants in a Battleworld domain where mutants are loved instead of feared and how that turns the table on mutant dynamic.

"It’s almost an alternate timeline version of it. It’s almost like another take on events from the first issue and spin wildly out of control from there," says Burnham. "It’s not quite a What If? or alternate timeline, it’s just coming out of the Secret Wars events."

Although Morrison isn't involved in the series, Burnham is a long-time collaborator of his and they're working together on the current Image series Nameless. Burnham spoke to Morrison about doing E Is For Extinction, and walked away with more than just a nod of approval.

"I definitely made sure to get his blessings first and he thought it was cool," Burnham says. "He doesn’t own the characters but if I thought it was going to piss him off, I would’ve bowed out. He thought it sounded neat. He told me to go for it. He also gave me a couple ideas he thought I should use."

When asked, Burnham said that "almost everyone" from the New X-Men era team will be in the series with the exception of Fantomex.

"He’s sort of grown beyond the Morrison/Quitely run, in his own right," Burnham said. "But a lot of the other characters, in my perspective at least, I still associate them mostly with Grant’s run. So it’s just about everyone that you want to see will be in there, in some degree or another."

It's easy to see in Burnham and Villalobos' art an admiration for Frank Quitely, who illustrated a significant portion of this run on New X-men by Grant Morrison. Burnham says he "loved" the New X-Men run, calling it "bonkers."

"I think, like everyone else, I had grown out of the X-Men because I was twenty-two years old or whatever when it came out," said Burnham. "I had fallen out of the X-Men when I started getting girlfriends, or went to college. That run definitely brought me back into it. It reminded me how much I loved that stuff. It was everything you loved but cranked up to eleven."

Avixph

Not only has Beak saved the multiverse once already but in the future he will be counted amongst the greatest of X-men. The Cuckoos as the Three-in-One are a powerhouse not to be taken lightly.
I don't read X-Men comics so please show me proof.

NMFried

Okay so I've been prepping for Secret Wars the last couple of months. Here are the series I'm caught up on:

Avengers
New Avengers
Uncanny Avengers
Nova
Guardians of the Galaxy
Legendary Star-Lord
Thor
Ant-Man
All-New X-Men
Uncanny X-Men
Miles Morales
Hawkeye, Silk and Spider-Gwen
Currently catching up on Captain America.

Am I missing anything?
I've read through the Infinity and Original Sin events.

Also, do I need to read AXIS?

NMFried

Wouldn't recommend it. I don't even think Remender wants you to read Axis.

Haha well I was under the impression that it changes some important characters?

I'm still trying to figure out what happened to
Thor's hammer, Cap's age? Tony Stark in general.

The thor thing has yet to be explained I think, but he became "unworthy" in Original Sin. Cap's change happens in the Remender Captain America run, and Tony's change is due to Axis/Inversion.

nope.

as pointed out, two out of three of those happened outside of Axis. Really, outside of Tony getting inverted and becoming more of a dick than usual, nothing of substance happened during AXIS and it can and should be skipped. Literally the worst event in modern memory.

Mafro

Really, outside of Tony getting inverted and becoming more of a dick than usual, nothing of substance happened during AXIS and it can and should be skipped. Literally the worst event in modern memory.
AvX and Age of Ultron were substantially worse, particularly the latter.

NMFried

The thor thing has yet to be explained I think, but he became "unworthy" in Original Sin. Cap's change happens in the Remender Captain America run, and Tony's change is due to Axis/Inversion.

Well I'm in the Remender Cap run right now, so at least that will be solved. And it's good to know I'm not totally clueless on Thor.

I read issue one of AXIS so I might as well finish it for Tony's sake, though I heard Superior Iron Man is weak.

as pointed out, two out of three of those happened outside of Axis. Really, outside of Tony getting inverted and becoming more of a dick than usual, nothing of substance happened during AXIS and it can and should be skipped. Literally the worst event in modern memory.

Worse than Ultimatum or Age of Ultron?

I mean, it wasn't great, but let's not go crazy here.

Top Bottom