• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think when US starts hitting 500+ cases days the panic will become real. I don't think we have had panic it has just been something to make memes about and look in awe as places really far away

Siri

Banned
You lacked math skills, so I put it into different terms since I did not think teaching you probability was a worthwhile endeavor. Based on your response, I was correct.

And based on your inability to spot a joke I shouldn’t have attempted to make one.

new one uploaded but was before new Italy numbers it seems

28 deaths in Italy already? Wow.

It's really ramping up there big time. Might be our first real open look at how it does in the West.

Ugh.

It is unfortunate because Italy has been hit hard but it is not like they have not tried so we might have to expect these types of numbers elsewhere

Last edited:

Pallas

Same is true for a common cold and many other viral infections.

Statements like these, which are simply universal because they are also published by the media without any meaningful context, unnecessarily contribute to panic because people suddenly think it is some kind of supervirus.

Obviously other contagious viruses and common cold can be transferred this way, it the context of the speaker was that the CDC wasn’t alerting the public about how it could be transfer through your optics and while it’s common sense, common sense isn’t exactly something the general public have or use during times like this.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said the United States should be proactive when it comes to testing for the coronavirus.

Fauci explained what he means by proactive testing:

"Proactive means, I don't know what's in the community so I'm going to go to a bunch of emergency rooms and when people present with symptoms that look like they might be coronavirus, even though they have no connection with anybody who has coronavirus, they didn't travel anywhere, and test them to see if their infected."

more at the link good read to understand what the CDC has been up to lately with a tiny number of selected cites

Grinchy

Banned
For people who are buying out stores to stock up, how much are you buying? Wouldn't you need many months of food in stock to bunker yourself in to stay away from the virus when it has gotten everywhere?

I know some people who are buying extra canned foods and pasta and shit and it's like they could maybe last a couple weeks in their apartments if they stretched it lol. What's the point unless you're going really big?

sinnergy

One person already died in my city.

Since it's "just a a flu", people dont care about catching it and spreading it.
Fuck my country.
Yup, almost whole of Europe , Seems they don’t know what the internet is and what happened in China ...

So they, citizens and governments waisted almost 2 months to prepare ...

Last edited:
I can't even

1,000 people asked to self-quarantine in New York
From CNN's Kristina Sgueglia

About 1,000 people have been asked to self-quarantine following the coronavirus cases in Westchester, New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.
Those individuals will be contacted by various health departments and provided guidance, Cuomo said.
“If anything we are being over cautious,” Cuomo said.

40 miles away from my place

Last edited:

vpance

Pound that vitamin C!

In extreme conditions (athletes, skiers, art workers, military exercises), it can effectively prevent the common cold. And whether vitamin C also has a certain protective effect on influenza patients, only few studies have shown that vitamin C deficiency is related to the increased risk and severity of influenza infections.

In a controlled but non-randomized trial, 85% of the 252 students treated experienced a reduction in symptoms in the high-dose vitamin C group (1g / h at the beginning of symptoms for 6h, followed by 3 * 1g / day).

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04264533

ExpandKong

Banned
uh uh

Unrelated question about their state-by-state breakdown of cases: there are a handful of confirmed cases in Texas, but Texas isn't in their list. Is it because all the confirmed cases are under quarantine? That seems a little shady.

cryptoadam

Banned
As long as you don't take and other substances with it grapefruit is nice

but if you take pills everyday for your health it can cause your stomach to absorb twice as much the dose you are on. OD easy

Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately I am not on any daily meds, only once a week. I will stay away from grapefruits on that day.

So far I am not infected so eat grapefruits and smoke weed and you are probably all good LOL.

Unrelated question about their state-by-state breakdown of cases: there are a handful of confirmed cases in Texas, but Texas isn't in their list. Is it because all the confirmed cases are under quarantine? That seems a little shady.

CDC releases the batch of numbers, they keep the people who came here from the Japan ship and flights from Wuhan separate from State numbers. Even if the base they ended up at is in that state.

Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately I am not on any daily meds, only once a week. I will stay away from grapefruits on that day.

So far I am not infected so eat grapefruits and smoke weed and you are probably all good LOL.

Smoking means your lungs are compromized, don't mean to be a downer... just saying this is mostly a lung targetting virus after all.

GHG

Schools and universities shut here in Dubai for the next month because of a student testing positive after catching it from their parents.

My teacher friends are not too happy about this because the plan is to shut schools for the next month and then as long as things can resume to normal they will keep the schools open over what was supposed to be the Easter holiday in order to make up for lost time. They understand why it's happening but it's an inconvenience as a lot of them had holidays etc booked for Easter that they will now have to cancel.

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

I jumped out of this thread for a while but there are now 85 cases in the UK and the local hospital has taken it's first serious case. I'm trying to keep calm over the situation but I am starting to worry about panic buying in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom