• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

longdi

Banned
At 3%, with 2 patients, that's 3% twice. Even if 1 of the two dies, that's comparable to hitting a 1 or 2 outter in hold 'em. Unlikely but certainly possible.

But we are talking critical condition, not death, which is more like 10-20%, twice. So, i mean, that's like flopping an open ended straight and hitting one of your 8 outs on the turn or river.

In other words... it's not particularly shocking that in 2 cases, one is serious.
Even if you don't die, your body , lungs, organs will be devastated by the virus or by antiviral drugs pumped in.
It is much more scary than common flu imo

These new cases in Sydney are around my neighbourhood...

BSBbnQN.jpg

xrnzaaas

First confirmed case in Poland... welp, I'm glad I've already bought some supplies. It's going to be an armageddon in the stores today.

Naru

They said you shouldn't touch your face but no one said anything about not touching other peoples faces! :messenger_ogre:

giphy.gif

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
The virus is like a nasty malware, if it doesn't force a reformat, it will fucks up your files /nerd analogy.

I read about how those who survived sars, lived a life of suffering, organs aging 10 extra years.

Siri

Banned
At 3%, with 2 patients, that's 3% twice. Even if 1 of the two dies, that's comparable to hitting a 1 or 2 outter in hold 'em. Unlikely but certainly possible.

But we are talking critical condition, not death, which is more like 10-20%, twice. So, i mean, that's like flopping an open ended straight and hitting one of your 8 outs on the turn or river.

In other words... it's not particularly shocking that in 2 cases, one is serious.

What the hell is this? It’s a pandemic. Not a poker game???

betrayal

Banned
The virus is like a nasty malware, if it doesn't force a reformat, it will fucks up your files /nerd analogy.

I read about how those who survived sars, lived a life of suffering, organs aging 10 extra years.

The internet is not good for you. :(

"Impact of SARS epidemic: A small percentage of patients had long-term effects from their illness, including depression or anxiety, cough, shortness of breath, chronic lung disease or kidney disease. However, most patients fully recovered." (https://www.lung.org/lung-health-an...ookup/severe-acute-respiratory-syndrome-sars/)

The same statement also applies to simple colds.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned

Use Google.

From lung.org: “A small percentage of patients had long-term effects from their illness, including depression or anxiety, cough, shortness of breath, chronic lung disease or kidney disease. However, most patients fully recovered.”

Edit: Damn... Betrayal beat me to it. I was betrayed.

Last edited:
Yo, telling you guys times are changing... some shit will never be the same again after this

South Korea has come up with a new way to make sure people self-quarantined at home stay put: a GPS-based app.

The app will monitor people who are quarantined -- and if they leave their designated location, the system will set off an alarm.

The application will be implemented later this week in Daegu and surrounding North Gyeongsang province, where about 90% of national infections have been reported, according to the government. There are an estimated 2,300 people currently under quarantine in Daegu alone.

“The government discussed about a more efficient way to monitor people in quarantine and developed an application,” Park Jong-hyun, a public relations official of the Central Disaster Relief Headquarters, said at a briefing on Wednesday.
South Korean authorities say several people have broken quarantine and left their homes.

kiiltz

jts

...hate me...
@sinnergy expects or knows of at least 24 cases in Holland not sure if he was joking or not
Ah, well I think it is true. AFAIK it has shown up in The Netherlands (same as Holland) probably about a week ago. It was even news that the Nike Europe HQ which happens to be there, had a shutdown because one employee was found to be infected.

Ah, well I think it is true. AFAIK it has shown up in The Netherlands (same as Holland) probably about a week ago. It was even news that the Nike Europe HQ which happens to be there, had a shutdown because one employee was found to be infected.

I did not think it was a lie, I was just looking for number on the lists, that is strange

Example:
Germany 38 new cases. Total of 240 now.

When some post a local number normally I can find one of these sources for it. But Holland is being left out of any media updates

Is Holland's numbers being counted under another goverment name?

jts

...hate me...
I did not think it was a lie, I was just looking for number on the lists, that is strange

Example:

When some post a local number normally I can find one of these sources for it. But Holland is being left out of any media updates

Is Holland's numbers being counted under another goverment name?

Yeah, it's there as "Netherlands".

Last edited:
China is the new GAF > Internets > GAF

China's Custom Authority says 75 international arrivals into the country have tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

In a statement released on Wednesday, the Custom Authority said that as of March 3, 6,728 international arrivals to China were showing symptoms, with 779 arrivals classified as suspected cases and 75 testing positive.

Pallas

Listened to the radio earlier about how this stuff can spread through the eyes as well. Ya’ll better wear glasses or goggles.

Here take a cookie and share it with Singapore
On a more serious note, I really wonder why those infected/death-ratios are so different from country to country, with Iran being the biggest outlier here..
An iranian friend of mine who I asked about this just put it on their shitty health system and sanctions, but not sure about that.

On a more serious note, I really wonder why those infected/death-ratios are so different from country to country, with Iran being the biggest outlier here..
An iranian friend of mine who I asked about this just put it on their shitty health system and sanctions, but not sure about that.

It is not luck because I don't believe in such. I think every place could have zero deaths if they tried hard enough. But could be the person's environment too, or behavior when they do get ill what to they do? Things like that. Are all the sick people in Germany from Germany?

Honestly it's only a matter of time before I catch this. I work a public facing job less than 5 minutes from a train station that regularly sees people commute into NYC. I'm probably gonna get tagged by someone who doesnt realize they have it yet.

Wait, so will they be implanted with a GPS chip or something? Cause otherwise they can just leave their device(s) at home.

It is an app. It might be that the society is so dependent on the device that leaving it would not be ideal? It might have a text message you need to reply to, that way they keep tabs on you.

Last edited:

As fear over coronavirus spreads, worried shoppers in Australia are bulk-buying toilet paper.

They're buying so much that shelves at some supermarkets have been left empty, and Kleenex has urged customers not to panic. CNN saw empty shelves when we visited a supermarket in the city of Brisbane on Wednesday.

Australia's chief medical officer Brendan Murphy is also urging people not to panic buy supplies.

"We are trying to reassure people that removing all of the lavatory paper from the shelves of supermarkets probably isn't a proportionate or sensible thing to do at this time," Murphy told a Senate hearing on Wednesday, according to CNN affiliate 9 News.
"We are a well-prepared health system but even the best-prepared health systems can face a challenge if you have large outbreaks."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom