• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
400,000 people die yearly from the flu.

Wayyy overblown. The 20 that died in Washington were elderly in nursing homes.

The elderly and those with bad immune systems are the ones at risk.

People didn't get quarantined for the flu. 15,000 to 60,000 die in the US each year from the flu.

Get a grip people!

People didn't get quarantined for the flu. 15,000 to 60,000 die in the US each year from the flu.

Get a grip people!

As clever as you think you sound yelling get a grip in a GAF update thread it is not going to stop the ongoing reactions from all over the world causing all of the life changes people are facing.

Last edited:
Fourth case confirmed, asymptomatic so that won't go to official numbers :messenger_hushed:

No idea whether he traveled or got the virus here.

There are other 437 people testing for the virus and some 200+ have been confirmed to not have it.

I dont see many people panicking in this thread?

Curious to hear the results of tests with existing anti-viral meds though. You would think they would do something but I am not a bio chemist so what do I know?

oagboghi2

Curious to hear the results of tests with existing anti-viral meds though. You would think they would do something but I am not a bio chemist so what do I know?
Why should we? The chances of getting it, much less dying are minuscule

This is not a panic thread, this is an info and update thread. The only time things get a little heated in here is when the just the flu people come in trying to downplay the events going on. We are all trying to chill and keep the updates going to stay informed for those at risk with existing conditions.

China is the main place doing anti-viral meds studies using everything from what works for Ebola to HIV AIDS stuff. The papers are found in the relevant places. I am not a doctor so I can't link you to them but Dr. Campbell out of UK talks about these studies a lot. I think many labs around the world are very active in trying to find something effective. A lot of money is being lost due to the changes going on around the world so the motivation to get this under control is higher than being reported.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned

Get a grip people!

It’s a little surprising that you’d post this considering all the reliable links to world events that are being posted in this thread.

You’re even doing that thing where you’re comparing this with normal flu, essentially pulling a Trump by telling us how many people die from normal flu, suggesting the fatality numbers are actually higher with normal flu.

Covid-19 is not normal flu. The death-rate appears to be about 4%, which is vastly higher than normal flu. And the speed at which this disease is spreading is more than alarming - if this becomes a pandemic, a case in which every person on the planet is exposed, the consequences will be terrible. Think about the elderly in your family. If this becomes a pandemic there’s a 14% chance one of your elderly relatives will die at home, terribly - because if you believe there will be hospital beds available then you‘re sorely mistaken.

Do you not read the news? Governments are declaring national and statewide emergencies because of this. Schools are being closed, and events cancelled, etc.

You claim that 400,000 folks die yearly of the flu. If the world were to carry on as usual, that number, for Covid-19, would be closer to 50 million.

So there.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
It’s a little surprising that you’d post this considering all the reliable links to world events that are being posted in this thread.

You’re even doing that thing where you’re comparing this with normal flu, essentially pulling a Trump by telling us how many people die from normal flu, suggesting the fatality numbers are actually higher with normal flu.

Covid-19 is not normal flu. The death-rate appears to be about 4%, which is vastly higher than normal flu. And the speed at which this disease is spreading is more than alarming - if this becomes a pandemic, a case in which every person on the planet is exposed, the consequences will be terrible. Think about the elderly in your family. If this becomes a pandemic there’s a 14% chance one of your elderly relatives will die at home, terribly - because if you believe there will be hospital beds available then you‘re sorely mistaken.

Do you not read the news? Governments are declaring national and statewide emergencies because of this. Schools are being closed, and events cancelled, etc.

You claim that 400,000 folks die yearly of the flu. If the world were to carry on as usual, that number, for Covid-19, would be closer to 50 million.

So there.

Ok. We will see in 6 months.

Whitecrow

Banned
Meanwhile, in Spain, absolutely nothing comes from our government : )

Gonna take action by our own no matter the consequences I guess.

Jtibh

Banned
Jtibh Jtibh we got another its just the flu bro up in this thread. Good chance for you to debate him/her.
Who is it😠😠?
I mist have missed it or he is already on my ignore list.
Sorry i was busy for a bit.I just went to stock up on some extra supplies.
Fuck me the looks i got . I went in the morning so i avoid people but still.
I got a holy shit from a dude passing by and a big screaming WHAT???? from a woman.
And then while i parked my cart a dude runs by straigh to an employee and is like do you still have handsoap? WWhere is it which row tell me or i kill you.

Well the soap section was empty and i got the last bottles. Left maybe 10 behind .
Lysol gone. Wipes gone. Dissinfect sprays gone.
Still lots of food and toilet paper. Water but thats no problem here in the mountains.

Cashier is like oh you prepping? I am like bo just rotating my stock to keep it fresh

Anyways let them flu away. Flu away little bird flu away

Ok. We will see in 6 months.

What do you expect to see from this in 6 months? You want to see no 50 Million deaths to prove him wrong?

We are all trying to avoid the worst dude that is why the world is not reacting to this like the Flu. They are trying not to allow another 400K deaths per year disease to exist.

10 years from now if this thing is still around we may get to the point schools are not shut down and public events go on because we got use to the levels of deaths. People got use to the Flu deaths. I don't take the flu lightly because just catching it means 2 weeks of ICU for me fighting for my life. It is not panic it is staying informed.

At least here, officials seem reluctant about these sort of details, but if you cross-check articles, sometimes you can dig up more specifics.

My guess is that, the more info they provide, the more people will falsely speculate.

I think it is a good choice not to provide all info, they only need that type of info for tracking the virus and only medical orgs like the WHO CDC and others need that.

Saying this person went to China, Iran, Italy and such does open feelings in us humans we say hurtful shit or attack people because we become afraid.

I think the US States that provide all of these info differ from State to State. Washington, California, and New York have very different levels.
Some states will even give out your name, where you live, where you work, looking at you New York.

Last edited:

6 US states are not currently testing for novel coronavirus
From CNN's Jamie Gumbrecht

This map shows states and territories with one or more laboratories that have successfully verified and are currently using COVID-19 diagnostic tests. Credit: APHL/CDC

The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention posted a map of US states and territories with one or more labs that are using diagnostic tests for the novel coronavirus.

All states are listed as currently testing for coronavirus, except Alabama, Maine, Ohio, Oklahoma, West Virginia and Wyoming; those states are listed as being in progress, according to the map.

Guam, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands are all listed as being in progress, as well. The CDC says people should contact their state health departments with questions about testing. The information is provided by the Association of Public Health Laboratories, the CDC said today.

This is not bad news at all I expected worst. I think this is good, slow but still better than I expected.

Last edited:

lil puff

I think the US States that provide all of these info differ from State to State. Washington, California, and New York have very different levels.
Some states will even give out your name, where you live, where you work, looking at you New York.
Actually NY has not given out any names as far as what I've read.

But what they did do, is mention the name of the school of a parent's child, where parent did catch it and son had symptoms. The problem is that the name of the school told everyone it was obviously a Jewish program.

And last year people were paranoid about measles going around in NYC particularly in Jewish communities. It very controversial at the time, so that probably was a TMI moment from NY officials.

The US Coast Guard is currently dropping novel coronavirus test kits to a cruise ship off the coast of California, said Ken Cuccinelli, acting deputy secretary of Homeland Security.

"We are right now, literally as we speak flying test kits out to a cruise ship off San Francisco, off California I should say, it's moving up to San Francisco, with Coast Guard helos and PJ's basically dropping onto the ship and bringing kits. And we're going to test, not everybody, a very large number of individuals relative to the ship. So we have full information,” Cuccinelli said.
Cuccinelli, speaking at a Senate Homeland Security hearing on coronavirus, said they’ve been in communication with the cruise ship and have been working with it for days.

He said they learned a lot of “negative lessons” from how the Diamond Princess cruise ship was quarantined. Cuccinelli said the initial thought was to hunker down, and that would have worked, but it wasn't done well.

Wow that's how they gonna do it? They learned nothing from Japan. The Ship will not stop the spreading these people need to be isolated somewhere better. Hope if tests come back positive they do better than Japan did.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Also bevare of thailand.
Once you are on the risk list they will take you to quarantene at entry and you will pay for the bills

Dont go there for now

LOL my buddy has a trip scheduled for April to Thailand. He has gone there for the last 2 years to basically bang hookers LOL. I think its probably not the best idea to go around banging a bunch of Asian hookers right now.

I think the worry isn't so much getting infected, its getting stuck in some foreign country with limited money/family/friends etc.... Its one thing to be quarntined in your own home, its another to be in a strange land with 0 support and who knows how locals will treat you if they think you are infected.

Actually NY has not given out any names as far as what I've read.

But what they did do, is mention the name of the school of a parent's child, where parent did catch it and son had symptoms. The problem is that the name of the school told everyone it was obviously a Jewish program.

And last year people were paranoid about measles going around in NYC particularly in Jewish communities. It very controversial at the time, so that probably was a TMI moment from NY officials.

Okay I'll be fair nosy reporters drop names and it spreads. Should not have blamed it on NY officially. You are correct.

Jtibh

Banned
LOL my buddy has a trip scheduled for April to Thailand. He has gone there for the last 2 years to basically bang hookers LOL. I think its probably not the best idea to go around banging a bunch of Asian hookers right now.

I think the worry isn't so much getting infected, its getting stuck in some foreign country with limited money/family/friends etc.... Its one thing to be quarntined in your own home, its another to be in a strange land with 0 support and who knows how locals will treat you if they think you are infected.
Exactly.

No point to go there right now and get stuck with thousands in medical bill or loose your job for not showing up on time.

I been there 6 times. No chance to bang the cock. Wify was alwasy present.

vfp6eQU.jpg

I don't like that we're still forced to use the old Chinese numbers for COVID-19 but at least this gives some perspective for justtheflubros.

Last edited:
Its probably the L strain or a new form of mutation

I am sure they are doing much research on these mutations as they can test for them now so hopefully we can stop spikes and peaks on this level. We don't want to beat Wuhan numbers at all.

edit: in the Science video about the S and L strains Dr. Campbell did mention New York found the L version there too which does not make me feel better being 40 miles away.

Last edited:
Italy is getting close to Runaway status. It looks like Hubei in the first week(s).

That's a 3.8% CFR so far.

Since Italy is a much more open place than China. I hope the rest of the world can offer them much more help at slowing things down and getting things back to a downward trend. Since it takes weeks for us to even know if someone is infected we may see this get out of hand.

I was just thinking about what Miami Florida did with the Holy Water thingy at the doors of every Catholic Church. Get that virus in your holy water spread it to the followers. A huge mess.

lil puff

This is hilarious.

My brother is going to Colombia soon for similar reasons. I was joking "don't catch that virus"

His response was that the virus was worth it for this ass. And then he sent me pics.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I am sure they are doing much research on these mutations as they can test for them now so hopefully we can stop spikes and peaks on this level. We don't want to beat Wuhan numbers at all.

edit: in the Science video about the S and L strains Dr. Campbell did mention New York found the L version there too which does not make me feel better being 40 miles away.

You're 40 miles from announced cases, you're probably less than a mile from someone sick.
We do business in the same building, and actually the same elevator bank as the lawyer near Grand Central. I was meant to go last week, and sent an underling instead since I was trying to avoid being out too much.
We're all going to have close calls like that, probably without even knowing unless we get sick.

cryptoadam

Banned
This is hilarious.

My brother is going to Colombia soon for similar reasons. I was joking "don't catch that virus"

His response was that the virus was worth it for this ass. And then he sent me pics.

Just make sure you put that hand sanitizer on the vagina and wear a face mask and its all good.

You're 40 miles from announced cases, you're probably less than a mile from someone sick.
We do business in the same building, and actually the same elevator bank as the lawyer near Grand Central. I was meant to go last week, and sent an underling instead since I was trying to avoid being out too much.
We're all going to have close calls like that, probably without even knowing unless we get sick.

I think the only thing we can do at this point when it is that close is wash our hands often and don't touch our faces.
I am trying to isolate because of my own existing condition. People have to work in the City. Metro North Line that travel to the City is 2 blocks from my building so yeah you are correct just because it is 40 miles away does not mean I did not walk near it recently.

This makes it very clear how far reaching this thing is. Even if that is a buddies habit it still shows how hard it will hit the local economy in Thailand when horny tourist stop showing up to buy sex and beer.

you know I am kinda depressed when I don't make my Corona beer joke

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

This is hilarious.

That's not good. Could you tell me where he went in Colombia so I avoid going there?

vfp6eQU.jpg

vfp6eQU.jpg

I don't like that we're still forced to use the old Chinese numbers for COVID-19 but at least this gives some perspective for justtheflubros.

Isn't the flu contracted by 100s of millions, if not billions every year? Percentage and all that but we still haven't seen the widespread effect of corona virus.

Imo, the media hoohar and sensationalism behind it is all about laying the groundwork for a scapegoat for the next recession.

Can't shout at banks when a virus is the root cause for your home being repossessed.

I'm kind of curios how this will play out. Will they have to make this time up?

My kids are about a week away from spring break and if this thing keeps getting worse, would school districts just cancel the rest of the school year?

It really depends on your local school system if they make a choice like that. Some try not to close schools down until it is a last thing they can do.

This is kinda weird

"I worry about people making their own sanitizer as it will be difficult to make sure that the concentrations are correct," Daniel Parker, assistant professor of public health at the University of California, Irvine, told CNN of the trend.

For hand sanitizer to be effective, it must have at least 60% alcohol content, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom