• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Have any theories come to light as to why certain countries are faring better or worse than others? I understand that Korea got fucked by that cult, but why is Italy having such a bad time? Meanwhile, places like Taiwan and Singapore seem to be doing a decent job of keeping their numbers down. Are these countries' performance related to the quality of their medical system? Personal hygiene habits in a particular region? Genetics? Ability / willingness to identify and quarantine suspected cases?

Jtibh

Banned
I am sure they are doing much research on these mutations as they can test for them now so hopefully we can stop spikes and peaks on this level. We don't want to beat Wuhan numbers at all.

edit: in the Science video about the S and L strains Dr. Campbell did mention New York found the L version there too which does not make me feel better being 40 miles away.
Something is very off with this virus.
Italy IS the reality and should be taken as a template.

Iran china thailand INDONASIA CAMBODIA etc numbers are full of shit.

ALSO

Went to one of my supplier for sheet goods.
Well fuck me he just said the dragonply birch is no more as there is nothing coming from china.
So i am in the middle of 3 projects and i asked the fucker a month ago to tell me what product will be an issue to get so i can stock up.
His answer back than was all is good we have lots .
Fuck him.

So you see now my business and for sure many other businesses are experiencing the impact of this.

Never mind food or essentials if i cant even sell my work cuz there is nothing i can produce it out of.

Doctor issues stark warning to Congress: "Don’t just get up there and say this is a flu"
From CNN Health’s Jamie Gumbrecht

Dr. Peter Hotez, professor and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, warned members of Congress Thursday against minimizing the risks of novel coronavirus in the United States, calling it “the angel of death for older individuals.”
During the House Committee on House Science, Space and Technology, Oklahoma Rep. Frank Lucas asked what advice he could take home to the public to not prevent panic and instill reasonable steps to avoid spread.
“In an attempt to calm public fears, you’re hearing things like it’s a mild illness, this is like flu. It’s not really the case because this is an unusual virus. For many young people, especially, it is a mild illness, but we’re seeing some devastating things,” Hotez responded.

Just had a giant-ass military C-6 Galaxy plane fly over our house. We live near a military base housing Corona patients.

We usually see C-130s fly in all the time, along with other military jets, but I've never seen a C-6 fly over. That thing is YUGE.

Edit.. It was a C-17 Globemaster. Just had another one fly over.

p4JVoV1.jpg

Last edited:

McHuj

Just had a giant-ass military C-6 Galaxy plane fly over our house. We live near a military base housing Corona patients.

We usually see C-130s fly in all the time, along with other military jets, but I've never seen a C-6 fly over. That thing is YUGE.

Probably caring napalm to burn the place down

Jtibh

Banned

This is zombie movies start out.

ALSO

Well fuck me he just said the dragonply birch is no more as there is nothing coming from china.
So i am in the middle of 3 projects and i asked the fucker a month ago to tell me what product will be an issue to get so i can stock up.
Fuck him.

So you see now my business and for sure many other businesses are experiencing the impact of this.

Never mind food or essentials if i cant even sell my work cuz there is nothing i can produce it out of.

You are pointing out some real life issues on how this shit will affect businesses. Thank you for sharing that. You can't downplay the cost of this shit even if people try to say this is a mild disease.

I really hope things get better.

Yes Italy should really be what we look at. The WHO stated today that many countries are still taking this shit lightly sadly.

This is kinda weird

"I worry about people making their own sanitizer as it will be difficult to make sure that the concentrations are correct," Daniel Parker, assistant professor of public health at the University of California, Irvine, told CNN of the trend.

For hand sanitizer to be effective, it must have at least 60% alcohol content, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Yeah wont work because Titos is weak shit. Barcardi 151 hand wipes and mouth wash here I come!

Have any theories come to light as to why certain countries are faring better or worse than others? I understand that Korea got fucked by that cult, but why is Italy having such a bad time? Meanwhile, places like Taiwan and Singapore seem to be doing a decent job of keeping their numbers down. Are these countries' performance related to the quality of their medical system? Personal hygiene habits in a particular region? Genetics? Ability / willingness to identify and quarantine suspected cases?

Too early to tell but there are 2 forms of the virus an S and an L very hard for me to explain but you can watch this Dr. Campbell video on mutations

L is the worst and could be what makes things different.

Jtibh

Banned
You are pointing out some real life issues on how this shit will affect businesses. Thank you for sharing that. You can't downplay the cost of this shit even if people try to say this is a mild disease.

I really hope things get better.

Yes Italy should really be what we look at. The WHO stated today that many countries are still taking this shit lightly sadly.
Well thats a problem too for me.
I am planing to purchase a new equipment that is manufactured in italy that i will need for my business. It cost a 130k.
So if there will be a problem, once again i have to look for alternatives.
Not saying i will get to buy it this year but if things wpuld go well i will need it.

And it took me a few months to decide on that product now i may have to go back to the drawing board.

And its only 3 months in from case 0.

The economy will be screwed.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
What do you expect to see from this in 6 months? You want to see no 50 Million deaths to prove him wrong?

We are all trying to avoid the worst dude that is why the world is not reacting to this like the Flu. They are trying not to allow another 400K deaths per year disease to exist.

10 years from now if this thing is still around we may get to the point schools are not shut down and public events go on because we got use to the levels of deaths. People got use to the Flu deaths. I don't take the flu lightly because just catching it means 2 weeks of ICU for me fighting for my life. It is not panic it is staying informed.

No, I just don't think there will be more deaths than a normal year of the flu. (15,000-60,000 US deaths and 400,000 or so global deaths)

Just and update the WHO is saying the difference between S form and L form might not be different at all

1:06:28 in if the time stamp did not work for you

Last edited:

Sakura

I'm kind of curios how this will play out. Will they have to make this time up?

My kids are about a week away from spring break and if this thing keeps getting worse, would school districts just cancel the rest of the school year?
No idea on other countries, but here in Japan the school year ends in March, so it was pretty much over anyway. Feels more like posturing just so they can say, "Hey look we're doing something!", as they hope the situation gets better.
Interested to see what they plan to do for April (start of the new school year) if there are considerably more cases than there are now.

No, I just don't think there will be more deaths than a normal year of the flu. (15,000-60,000 US deaths and 400,000 or so global deaths)

Ok you are free to think that. And I for one would hope that you are right. But saying get a grip is not going to help anyone avoid that from happening. If a year from now deaths are below 15,000 or whatever metric you wish to compare this with the Flu you are welcome to that win.

I don't want to see deaths just to prove to you this is not the Flu.

To me this is a 9/11 moment, there was life before this event and there is life after this event it will be different.
Just ask the Cruise ship owners or any other business owner out there if this is still normal for them.

Xyrmellon

Even though at the press conference yesterday the CDC finally said , "We want to test anyone that wants to be tested", Florida has come back with a big NOPE. They say they will stick to the old guidelines of travel history or severe symptoms (not even contact with other infected). Their explanation is that they don't want to overwhelm the testing centers. From what I understand, they've only tested 62 people here as of Wednesday, with 2 positives. That is a travesty.

First case of COVID in Rio de Janeiro, that's the 5th confirmed case in Brazil.
thanks for keeping us updated on Brazil the media is slow to update us on South America

cnn posted this 30 minutes ago

Brazil’s Health Ministry confirmed its fourth case of novel coronavirus today, a 13-year-old girl who arrived from Italy, according to a statement.

The teenager did not show any symptoms after returning to Brazil from Italy on March 1, health officials said.
Italy has confirmed more than 3,000 cases of novel coronavirus and over 100 people have died after testing positive for it.
The 13-year-old will remain in her home where she will be monitored by Sao Paulo’s state health department, Brazilian health officials said. The same protocol applies to anyone she’s had close contact with.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member

p4JVoV1.jpg

hard to really get a sense of the scale tbh. do better next time.

First person in UK dies from coronavirus as number of cases doubles in 48 hours https://www.rt.com/uk/482434-first-coronavirus-death-uk/

just 65,999,999 left!

Last edited:

iorek21

thanks for keeping us updated on Brazil the media is slow to update us on South America

cnn posted this 30 minutes ago

Brazil’s Health Ministry confirmed its fourth case of novel coronavirus today, a 13-year-old girl who arrived from Italy, according to a statement.

The teenager did not show any symptoms after returning to Brazil from Italy on March 1, health officials said.
Italy has confirmed more than 3,000 cases of novel coronavirus and over 100 people have died after testing positive for it.
The 13-year-old will remain in her home where she will be monitored by Sao Paulo’s state health department, Brazilian health officials said. The same protocol applies to anyone she’s had close contact with.

Fun fact: the Ministery of Health initially wanted to disconsider this young girl's case due to her not showing any symptoms; they gave up on this idea for some reason though

iconmaster

Banned
I've never seen a C-6 fly over. That thing is YUGE.

I just googled these, knowing nothing about either. They're both big planes, but the C-5 Galaxy (I can't find a C-6 Galaxy) is essentially Unicron.

231f50c8864464e8cd8eda745c14ad28.jpg

You want to fly a helicopter somewhere, without actually flying the helicopter? No problem.

c8f3ca0ac6cd9d3e57bbdc42f45e4dad.jpg

Edit: other things you can carry in a C-5

Last edited:
I just googled these, knowing nothing about either. They're both big planes, but the C-5 Galaxy (I can't find a C-6 Galaxy) is essentially Unicron.

Yeah I was thinking C-5 but when the 2nd one flew over I thought maybe they were actually C-17s. Third one just flew over.

Probably just odd timing but still.. 🤔🤔🤔

Bringing supplies in or evacuating people out..

Last edited:
Fun fact: the Ministery of Health initially wanted to disconsider this young girl's case due to her not showing any symptoms; they gave up on this idea for some reason though

It is weird how politics get in the way of Science and facts. At least the info still beomes public.

eot

Banned
Isn't the flu contracted by 100s of millions, if not billions every year? Percentage and all that but we still haven't seen the widespread effect of corona virus.

Imo, the media hoohar and sensationalism behind it is all about laying the groundwork for a scapegoat for the next recession.

Can't shout at banks when a virus is the root cause for your home being repossessed.
I read that in 2018 Italy had around 800k flu cases, 30 dead in one week. That was an unusually bad year. This just killed 41 in one day and it’s still potentially early days. Capisce?

ManaByte

Gold Member

On Thursday, the City of Chula Vista said the individual who received the ‘presumptive’ positive test for the coronavirus had recently traveled an area outside the U.S. that the CDC designated a “high-risk” area for the virus.

I read that in 2018 Italy had around 800k flu cases, 30 dead in one week. That was an unusually bad year. This just killed 41 in one day and it’s still potentially early days. Capisce?

It hasn't killed 41 in one day. The people who are dying are, by the medias own admission, suffering from underlying health issues. Who knows if the Corona virus caused their death, or if they a week away from croaking and one more virus was too much for the immune system?

Besides, all of the health information for protection from Corona is; don't touch people, wash hands, drink water. Which is the same advice for any flu.

Can you not see that this is all being drummed up for a reason? And not because it's some deadly disease? Why not do what I've done, bet your Gaf account on it. You and the rest of the people in this thread, put your money where your mouth is. Bet a lifetime ban it. After all, if the virus is that bad, we will all be dead and not on Gaf, so...

eot

Banned
It hasn't killed 41 in one day. The people who are dying are, by the medias own admission, suffering from underlying health issues. Who knows if the Corona virus caused their death, or if they a week away from croaking and one more virus was too much for the immune system?

Besides, all of the health information for protection from Corona is; don't touch people, wash hands, drink water. Which is the same advice for any flu.

Can you not see that this is all being drummed up for a reason? And not because it's some deadly disease? Why not do what I've done, bet your Gaf account on it. You and the rest of the people in this thread, put your money where your mouth is. Bet a lifetime ban it. After all, if the virus is that bad, we will all be dead and not on Gaf, so...
1) flu deaths aren’t any different, or counted any differently
2) I’m not going to bet my account or money on this being bad, I hope it’s not and I’m not afraid to be wrong. I just think it will be bad, and that there’s good reason for doing so. My amount of personal belief (since you seem to want to quantify it) is kind of irrelevant.

Jtibh

Banned
In movies they always do some magic where they run a simulatiin that shows rhe spread and fatality for the year.

Was there or is there any simulation that can show the outcome of this?

Stouffers

Banned
I got to be there in June for business. The first time my art will be in the lobby wall of a major company at their new HQ so I hope my chances for a little PR and Love does not get ruined.

Broke ass painters don't get many chances.
Might as well go and risk it. As an artist you know your work is worth more if you’re dead.

demigod

ALSO

Fuck him.

I am sorry for your loss Greta, I hope it gets better. Also please put that avatar back on, tyvm.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Uh, it goes without saying that people who died from a pneumonia will have permanent lung damage. That why they're dead.

This article has no relevance to anyone who isn't a physician.

The article talks about permanent damage to the lung (pulm fibrosis) to those who recover.

The imaging article is definitely relevant to anyone who is interested in the disease process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom