• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the update numbers I am seeing on twitter link to suspect sites I'll wait for translations on english sites.
Don't like the France number or trust it we will see

Yep, and we should concentrate on those who are really affected.
Healthy thirtysomethings prepping supermarkets empty and panicmongering are not really helping.

Honestly I have to agree with you here. Hysterical panic buying of stuff is kinda ridiculous. Fuckin toilet paper aisles completely wiped out like it is the apocalypse or something. There is nothing wrong with being prepared, and throughout this whole ordeal I've never been one of these "it's just the flu bro" guys, but come on people. Settle down.

Last edited:

Sakura

I personally know people who have come back to the Tokyo area from trips to Fujian, Daegu(!) and Hokkaido. And apparently there's only like 50 known cases in Tokyo. Wouldn't be surprising if Tokyo by itself is above Italy and Iran in actual numbers. The evidence around me suggests people are sick as hell and probably only a matter of time before I catch something. Might've caught it already to be honest.
Yeah I am sure there are many more cases. My prefecture has only done 274 tests. I also believe up until today, testing wasn't covered under health insurance so people had to pay out of their own pocket.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

Crazy to think in Jan we were at like 100 cases or something.

200k baby we can do it.

tenor.gif

I'm still scratching my fucking head about how I became the doomsday cult leader.
I don't get it.

Still trying to understand when people say 'Calm Down' or 'Get a Grip' in this thread what it means. I want to know what would you say if everyone in this thread was already calm and relax about this whole thing but because you said calm down, we let the thread die off do no updates on info, no tracking where the spread has gone to. We just stay silent and watch without saying nothing.

If we gave you all of that. Does it fix the markets? Does it fix the Cruise Ships? Does it fix the Airlines? Does it fix the cancelled events?

We are in a bubble here, I might be wrong but I doubt we run this world or make the rules that govern it. We are watching this shit go down just like you are. What does calm down or get a grip even mean in this context?

When I am in a gaming thread for my favorite game if it is an amazing game the thread is flowing everyone is hype. You are living an event but it is a really good experience. Zelda or Xenoblade for me. It could be any number of games for you. The experience gets you to react. We do what GAF do we share in the moment and live. We get hype let loose and goof. Good times.

I remember GAF the morning of 9/11 I was here a long time before that morning but the thread did not have as much calm down push back calls from people really freaking out. And we were really freaked out. I feel maybe 2% of that worry as I felt back then for this shit.

This is not a good experience at all there is no real reason we need to calm down. This is just how we should be, here to inform, share, and support one another. We are not fucking ERA who overcorrects and overreacts a ban on every silly shit. You have to have man sized balls to post on GAF these days because just posting here means you have rejected to overraction of political correcting every silly bullshit. Stop telling people how to live, and what to feel and who too like. I like boobs fuck off. Don't tell me how to react to shit, you don't get to choose that shit for anyone. This is not GAF.

We are not driving the reactions around the world, if we were people would not still be afraid to remember neogaf in videogames land.

This is calm bro. We are watching it with you. Nothing wrong with sharing your feelings in a fearful concerning time.

What is this calm down thing? Who reset GAF's heart? We are fucking calm we are on here posting. It means we are okay.

Y'all need to relax or STFU.

Last edited:

Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf announced the first two confirmed cases of coronavirus in the state of Pennsylvania.

"I want to assure Pennsylvanians that we are prepared for this. This is not the first rapidly spreading virus we have faced, and it certainly will not be our last," Wolf said in a tweet.

just a flu bro

The ministry has ordered family doctors to quarantine anyone coming back from Italy for 14 days. The statement added that anyone breaching a quarantine can be fined up to 3 million Czech crowns — about $130,000.

are they a poor country?

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
I'm still scratching my fucking head about how I became the doomsday cult leader.
I don't get it.

Still trying to understand when people say 'Calm Down' or 'Get a Grip' in this thread. I want to know what would you say if everyone in this thread was already calm and relax about this whole thing but because you said calm down, we let the thread die off do no updates on info, no tracking where the spread has gone to. We just stay silent and watch without saying nothing.

If we gave you all of that. Does it fix the markets? Does it fix the Cruise Ships? Does it fix the Airlines? Does it fix the cancelled events?

We are in a bubble here, I might be wrong but I doubt we run this world or make the rules that govern it. We are watching this shit go down just like you are. What does calm down or get a grip even mean in this context?

When I am in a gaming thread for my favorite game if it is an amazing game the thread is flowing everyone is hype. You are living an event but it is a really good experience. Zelda or Xenoblade for me. It could be any number of games for you. The experience gets you to react. We do what GAF do we share in the moment and live. We get hype let loose and goof. Good times.

I remember GAF the morning of 9/11 I was here a long time before that morning but the thread did not have as much calm down push back calls from people really freaking out. And we were really freaked out. I feel maybe 2% of that worry as I felt back then for this shit.

This is not a good experience at all there is no real reason we need to calm down. This is just how we should be, here to inform, share, and support one another. We are not fucking ERA who overcorrects and overreacts a ban on every silly shit. You have to have man sized balls to post on GAF these days because just posting here means you have rejected to overraction of political correcting every silly bullshit. Stop telling people how to live, and what to feel and who too like. I like boobs fuck off. Don't tell me how to react to shit, you don't get to choose that shit for anyone. This is not GAF.

We are not driving the reactions around the world, if we were people would not still be afraid to remember neogaf in videogames land.

This is calm bro. We are watching it with you. Nothing wrong with sharing your feelings in a fearful concerning time.

What is this calm down thing? Who reset GAF's heart? We are fucking calm we are on here posting. It means we are okay.

Just woke up . Not sure what happened or who pissed you off.

I see a lot more positive feedback here and i see a ton of lurckers who i am sure follow this thread every day.

They wont write here cuz of stigma but i think 90 percent of gaf is very thankfull this thread is going strong with updates by the hour.

Hey when evilroi pops up here and there you know you do a good work .

Keep on trucking man.

Friday is here.. I have till the end of the day to meet my numbers right Smiles and Cries Smiles and Cries ?

Yup, dunno not looking good for you, what was it 350?

They are not really testing, the nursing union reported that. We have reports of thousands of people being place in quarantine for 14 days rather than testing them. One million tested by the end of the week claim from the FDA was all fluff lol

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
My company has expanded the travel restrictions: Asia Pacific, Northern Italy, UAE, Saudi and Nigeria.

A few cities over here are experiencing shortages of medical masks.

Our health minister says we're in no danger.

The 184 citizens that were gonna get evacuated from Wuhan? plane got grounded. Safety concerns.

Just waiting for it to take root. I live in the largest city in South Africa.

My company has basically said don't leave your city unless it is business critical, teleconference instead if at all possible, and do not fly domestically (US). This along with forced quarantine (do not come to the office) on anyone who travels outside of the US for 14 days.

Just woke up . Not sure what happened or who pissed you off.

I see a lot more positive feedback here and i see a ton of lurckers who i am sure follow this thread every day.

They wont write here cuz of stigma but i think 90 percent of gaf is very thankfull this thread is going strong with updates by the hour.

Hey when evilroi pops up here and there you know you do a good work .

Keep on trucking man.

I'm not pissed off just thinking out loud wondering what is driving this calm down thing on a discussion forum, I feel like people take shit too seriously and do not allow for people to just share. You don't have to be drunk to just post your feels.

If anyone is overblowing the shit it is thinking this thread controls the outcome of the world. It doesn't.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
My company has basically said don't leave your city unless it is business critical, teleconference instead if at all possible, and do not fly domestically (US). This along with forced quarantine (do not come to the office) on anyone who travels outside of the US for 14 days.

Our company has a no essential travel policy right now also... except for me... I have to go to Poland in 2 weeks.

I'm not pissed off just thinking out loud wondering what is driving this calm down thing on a discussion forum, I feel like people take shit too seriously and do not allow for people to just share. You don't have to be drunk to just post your feels.

If anyone is overblowing the shit it is thinking this thread controls the outcome of the world. It doesn't.

This has been a great thread for staying informed. Also I think its stayed pretty damn civil in the time that I've been following it so Im not sure what people mean when they are talking about "calm down". At this point, sticking your head in the sand and pretending this is the seasonal flu seems pretty delusional and ill advised, especially if you have older folks that you care about and interact with on a regular basis.

Here's a state-by-state breakdown of cases around the US:

1. Arizona – 2
  2. California – 49 (includes 1 fatality)
  3. Colorado - 2
  4. Florida – 4
  5. Georgia - 2
  6. Illinois - 5
  7. Maryland - 3
  8. Massachusetts - 3
  9. Nevada - 1
  10. New Hampshire – 2
  11. New Jersey - 2
  12. New York - 22
  13. North Carolina - 1
  14. Oregon - 3
  15. Pennsylvania- 2
  16. Rhode Island - 2
  17. Tennessee - 1
  18. Texas - 5
  19. Washington state - 70 (includes 13 fatalities)
  20. Wisconsin – 1

Jooxed

Gold Member
I don't get it.

Still trying to understand when people say 'Calm Down' or 'Get a Grip' in this thread what it means. I want to know what would you say if everyone in this thread was already calm and relax about this whole thing but because you said calm down, we let the thread die off do no updates on info, no tracking where the spread has gone to. We just stay silent and watch without saying nothing.

I don't think anyone is downplaying the seriousness of this and I haven't seen it in a while. I don't really chime in this thread I just check it for updates. One thing I noticed in other places is a lot of Fear mongering and telling people oh you have a fever YOU NEED TO BE SCARED, which is feeding into their anxiety more.

I think the best course of action really is just stay informed and live your life the best you can while this is going on and try not to let it control you.

Oregon has to have more cases than reported. We're the meat in a fucking Coronavirus sandwich up in here.

At least you have some cases. My state is surrounded and they have people on 14 day quarantine that they won't test. One is 2 miles or so away from my house.

I'll feel better if they test for this stuff. Waiting another 2 weeks to know raises needless anxiety imo.

A 5th person has tested positive for coronavirus in New York City
From CNN's Sheena Jones

A 5th person has tested positive for coronavirus in New York City, an NYC Health Department spokesman tells CNN.
This brings the total count of confirmed coronavirus cases in the state of New York to 23.

Being someone with a chronic illness I really feel for medical care providers. Around the world Nurses and Doctors are exposing themselves to this and working very long hours. At least in countries that are really trying not to ignore this.

Keep these people in mind. It gives me hope.

Indiana reports its first presumptive coronavirus case
From CNN's Chuck Johnson

Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb announced the first presumptive positive case of coronavirus in the state as he declared a public health emergency.
The individual traveled to Boston and was exposed during that trip, according to officials. They are calling this case an isolated case.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Yeah I am sure there are many more cases. My prefecture has only done 274 tests. I also believe up until today, testing wasn't covered under health insurance so people had to pay out of their own pocket.

Which prefecture are you in? My ex-wife tells me that someone in Gamagori, Aichi had the disease, but violated quarantine to go out to eat in a restaurant and spread it.

Indiana reports its first presumptive coronavirus case
From CNN's Chuck Johnson

Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb announced the first presumptive positive case of coronavirus in the state as he declared a public health emergency.
The individual traveled to Boston and was exposed during that trip, according to officials. They are calling this case an isolated case.

Boston is where the TN case came from as well, I believe.

This has been a great thread for staying informed. Also I think its stayed pretty damn civil in the time that I've been following it so Im not sure what people mean when they are talking about "calm down". At this point, sticking your head in the sand and pretending this is the seasonal flu seems pretty delusional and ill advised, especially if you have older folks that you care about and interact with on a regular basis.

I think people saying calm down are under the impression that this is overblown media hype like swine flu, bird flu, Ebola etc... They haven't really been paying attention to the numbers or anything, they just see a headline and assume this is another media scare. If anything the media seems to be pretty tame with this compared to all the other "pandemics" of the past decade or so. Probably because they know its pretty bad and causing people to panic this time would not be good due to the severity of this.

Which prefecture are you in? My ex-wife tells me that someone in Gamagori, Aichi had the disease, but violated quarantine to go out to eat in a restaurant and spread it.

Boston is where the TN case came from as well, I believe.

MA is hardly testing. Not shocked about Boston being an issue. Just hope PAX East was not exposed, would hate to see the gaming industry spread this.

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
Yeah, I installed a bidet in every bathroom of my house years ago. One of the best decisions we've ever made. So much cleaner and more convenient. Would you wipe mud off with paper and call it a day? I don't think so. Everybody is walking around with dirty asses and it's gross.

Same, here - but out of curiosity: how many bathrooms do you have?
That said, I haven't used TP in years - I just feel dirty even if I wipe it for 10 minutes.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
And my company's HR department just updated the guidelines.

Notably, they are now mandating that any employee with a fever and cough or any other flu like symtom stay home, and essentially prohibiting domestic travel.

Sakura

Fukuoka. Obviously not as big as say Tokyo, but we still got a population of 5 million, and get 20~ million tourists a year. Lots of people from Asia too, because of the location.
Only have three cases, but they don't know where two of them caught it from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom