• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ar¢tos

So far only 13 confirmed infections here in Portugal, and most of them came from Italy.
I have to go out tomorrow and I'm really not looking forward being near people...

JordanN

Banned
Still no Turkey? What could they be hiding? :unsure:

7hMifdo.jpg

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
I went into work today expecting to see health care officials from the govt. of BC, but there were none there. The staff were panicked in the morning upon hearing that a sick co-worker tested positive. It was pretty much business as usual. Kind of surprised actually.

vpance

I went into work today expecting to see health care officials from the govt. of BC, but there were none there. The staff were panicked in the morning upon hearing that a sick co-worker tested positive. It was pretty much business as usual. Kind of surprised actually.

They know it's futile. And better to have people think it's all good and continue to work so things don't go sideways earlier.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Honestly expecting NYC numbers to be in the several hundred by next week...

Wonder if I can still order masks... will tryb

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I haven't heard any updates on the supposed vet who might have it on the VA hospital here.

Though the Corona-bros here are doing a good job of keeping people uo to date. Keep up the good work!

Blond

Banned
400,000 people die yearly from the flu.

Wayyy overblown. The 20 that died in Washington were elderly in nursing homes.

The elderly and those with bad immune systems are the ones at risk.

People didn't get quarantined for the flu. 15,000 to 60,000 die in the US each year from the flu.

Get a grip people!

There's nothing wrong about being watchful of something. History shows us things like this happen once in a while and it's been predicted that we'd be facing a large scale virus situaio
I got you!

I'm dead between praise the sun + laughing reaction

based M O W

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The protective face mask everyone's talking about.

b9G5cik.jpg

"Whay happens if I take off the mask?"

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Right now all I see is scaremongering becoming the scapegoat for the fear of losing money.

You might be focused on the wrong issue.
There is a causal relationship between economic depression (losing money) and losing lives. Especially for poor people who already don't have much money. Viruses aren't the only thing that kill people. Starvation, dehydration, homelessness, lack of healthcare, mental health degradation - all these can follow from loss of jobs and income, and they all have an additional effect on well-being and thus lives.

SXSW festival canceled amidst coronavirus concerns
From CNN's Jamiel Lynch

Austin city officials have announced that the annual South by Southwest tech, film and music festival has been canceled due to novel coronavirus concerns.
The festival was slated to take place March 13 – March 22.

Very smart guy. Looks like he's going by the known facts. This is very dangerous in this thread. :messenger_grimmacing_

Not really because most people in here would agree that buying all the toilet paper is dumb. Again there is no Panic in this thread.
Only nutty people see panic in here.

Apple is encouraging its Silicon Valley employees to work from home due to concerns over the novel coronavirus, according to a company spokesperson. Its Seattle employees can also work remotely.

The iPhone maker’s headquarters is in Cupertino, California. It also has offices in Santa Clara, California.

Last edited:
The Iran grave clips are becoming a trend. Since Iran only reports 10-15 deaths per day these folks can only record burials to speak out.

I don't want to post them. That some depressing shit bros.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Watching Trump with the CDC is fucking nuts. Trump is coming off as more honest than the CDC people.
It's really sad. They're lying about testing capabilities, lying about turning down test requests, and completely avoiding the question of how many we've tested so far.

Trump clear as day trying to protect the economy, and while it's the wrong move, he's being very transparent.
Essentially said: ' I want the people to be quarantined on the boat, because if they're quarantined in the US, then the numbers here will rise. If they stay on the boat, it doesn't get added to our numbers.'
I don't think he realizes how drastically the numbers are going to rise in the coming days and weeks. The boat is going to mean nothing.

Edit: A CNN reporter has been asking a lot of tough questions, and he's actually had a good rapport with her, and then actually gave a great answer on the Korean drive through tests.

Last edited:
Costa Rica confirms 1st case of novel coronavirus
From CNN’s Gerardo Lemos

Costa Rica’s Ministry of Health announced the country's first case of novel coronavirus during a press conference today.
The patient is a 49-year-old American woman who entered the country along with her husband on March 1, according to a statement from the health ministry.

Siri

Banned

Who, exactly, is this person? He’s saying that 70% of the people on the planet are going to get this, and that he himself will have it within two weeks or two months?

That goes against everything I’m hearing. And yet one person where I work is sick with this right now, and we’re all waiting to find out if we’re going to get it next.

I’m shocked at how quickly this has become something I’m personally experiencing. It’s like a nightmare almost.

Watching Trump with the CDC is fucking nuts. Trump is coming off as more honest than the CDC people.
It's really sad. They're lying about testing capabilities, lying about turning down test requests, and completely avoiding the question of how many we've tested so far.

Trump clear as day trying to protect the economy, and while it's the wrong move, he's being very transparent.
Essentially said: ' I want the people to be quarantined on the boat, because if they're quarantined in the US, then the numbers here will rise. If they stay on the boat, it doesn't get added to our numbers.'
I don't think he realizes how drastically the numbers are going to rise in the coming days and weeks. The boat is going to mean nothing.

jnZwbhG.jpg

Looking very Kim Jong-un playbook to me. I'd admit any POTUS would do exactly this though. Tour the CDC to claim people down.
Panic is dumb, so doing something like this might reach people on that level.

I don't agree with keeping the Ship off the coast. He should allow them to dock at least.

Karma Jawa

Who, exactly, is this person? He’s saying that 70% of the people on the planet are going to get this, and that he himself will have it within two weeks or two months?

That goes against everything I’m hearing. And yet one person where I work is sick with this right now, and we’re all waiting to find out if we’re going to get it next.

I’m shocked at how quickly this has become something I’m personally experiencing. It’s like a nightmare almost.

He’s an annoying Northerner with a typical sense of arrogance and self-importance. Probably from York or somewhere close.

I’m a Dr and could easily post all sorts of shit about this virus that sounds accurate, but like the vast majority I know virtually nothing.

Jtibh

Banned
  • 15th US death reported in WA.
  • CDC has tested fewer than 2,000 Americans, Atlantic reports
  • 15 more patients from Kirkland nursing home hospitalized
  • 2nd LAX screener tests positive
  • LA County confirms another 2 cases, bringing total to 13
  • Germany reports 90 new cases to 534
  • Saudi Arabia suspends sports events starting Saturday
  • U. of Washington will move all classes online for rest of semester
  • McDonald's cancels franchisee convention
  • Iraqi officials report third death
  • LatAm airline employee confirmed as Peru's first coronavirus case
  • Houston area confirms 6th case
  • Italy reports another 678 cases
  • Gap closes NYC office
  • New York cases climb to 33
  • Baggage handler at Heathrow tests positive
  • Madrid closes old folks homes
  • 5 schools close in PA.
  • Trump visit to CDC is back on
  • WHO: "false hope" that virus will disappear when summer arrives
  • WHO: We don't know mortality rate
  • Kudlow: "Buy stocks"
  • 2nd death in UK, cases hit 163; France reports 2 new deaths bringing total to 9
  • French total cases hits 577
  • Egypt reports 12 cases aboard cruise ship on the Nile
  • 2,733 asked to voluntarily quarantine in NYC
  • Trump scraps trip to CDC
  • Switzerland, the Netherlands report 1st deaths
  • Slovakia only country in Europe without coronavirus
  • Russia accuses Italy of spreading virus
  • Singapore reports 13 new cases, largest one-day jump since outbreak began
  • US case total: 234
  • South Korea, Japan feud over virus
  • Microsoft, Adidas, Lockheed say at least 1 employee has contracted virus
  • China claims it can have vaccine ready by April
  • Pompeo says China withheld information, leaving US "behind the curve"

cryptoadam

Banned
Hate to say it but Canada is probably going to be next on the list of fast rising countries. Once it starts going crazy in the US we won't be far behind. I actually am shocked that we have managed to keep the numbers so low but as I posted earlier that doesn't seem to be the case. We were sitting sub 15 for a while but things are speeding up. 45 cases earlier today, its only a matter of time till we start getting those on a daily basis.

And for any non Canuck Canada has a population of approx 35 Million, so its as if we are sitting at 450 cases if you compare us to the US.

Dr. Campbell or an old man with opinions.

He is an ex-nurse semi-retired Nurse Educator. He taught Nursing for a long time. And stationed at places outside the UK for a while exposed to all types of viral events like this. He likes to teach and is really good at it. PhD level very connected with UK gov and well respected elsewhere.

He does not agree with the WHO very often. He tends not to offend China. Praises them in this video a lot. I post him for his updates and connections he has because he also report the latest research papers coming out of China that he has access to. I like the way he breaks down the medical science so you can understand it.

He expects to get the virus himself I guess he is just being realistic. His wife must be as old as him he hopes for a mild version. This is the first time he said he expects to get it I think.

this ship will beat the last ship, I believe it might be a larger ship

Another Grand Princess cruise passenger is now infected with the novel coronavirus
From CNN’s Jenn Selva

S0HaIjk.jpg

The Grand Princess is seen in a photo taken on February 28, during a cruise to Hawaii. Carolyn Wright via AFP/Getty Images

A sixth person who was previously aboard the Grand Princess cruise ship that voyaged last month from San Francisco to Mexico is confirmed to have been infected with novel coronavirus.

The person, who did not feel well upon arriving home from the cruise, is a resident of Ventura County in Southern California, according to Ventura County Public Health. The patient has since remained at home with mild symptoms, according to county officials, only leaving to receive medical treatment.
The patient’s spouse, who also remains under home quarantine, was also on the cruise but does not have symptoms.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dis guy: https://www.amazon.com/John-Campbell/e/B00FJ03KOY/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1

He's saying that's a possibility if containment fails. It might. It might not. Who knows. It's somewhat contagious so it's possible.

Hell, two thirds of the planet have herpes (the mouth kind not the dick and vag kind), so it's not like global spread of disease isn't unheard of. Most people on the planet harbor some kind of virus at some point or another. You just aren't hyper aware of it.

n 2012, an estimated 3.7 billion people under the age of 50, or 67% of the population, had HSV-1 infection. Estimated prevalence of the infection was highest in Africa (87%) and lowest in the Americas (40-50%).

Jtibh

Banned

Whhat you mean who is he?

He is clearly a gaffer.

Siri

Banned
He’s an annoying Northerner with a typical sense of arrogance and self-importance. Probably from York or somewhere close.

I’m a Dr and could easily post all sorts of shit about this virus that sounds accurate, but like the vast majority I know virtually nothing.

Obviously I’m hoping he’s an alarmist - and yet he appears to be a retired doctor who has a pretty extensive understanding of diseases and how they infect people. He also predicted a month ago that the virus would soon reach his community in northern England, and four days ago his prediction came true.

I can’t be as dismissive about this person as you - so, again, does anyone know who he is?

EDIT: Okay, thanks. I see who he is now.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
If anyone finds overnight shipping for n95 masks please share, or better options. I ordered a bunch just now but soonest they arrive is Wednesday.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom