• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
ESY3wc1XkAEGc8d

Two patients from Sonoma County, California, shared the same Grand Princess shuttle bus

"Two coronavirus patients from California's Sonoma County had shared the same shuttle bus after their trip from Mexico on a Grand Princess cruise ship, county health officials told CNN.
“Of the 78 Sonoma County residents on the cruise ship, approximately 25 took a shuttle to the Sonoma County Airport on February 21,” said a county Public Information Officer."

They should let the ship dock the damage has been done even if you don't let them off you can get help to the ship faster without the fancy Coast Guard PR stunt.

GAMETA

Banned
Napkins
0By0Ize.jpg

We dont have the corona virus.

We have the mother fucking doodookaka virus.

WHATS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE.
NOW I HAVE TO RUN THE TAP WATER ON MY ASS TO CLEAN IT.

Paper napkins.

If you buy from a good brand you can even pour water on it before cleaning. It works better than TP.

Just make sure to throw it in the trash. It WILL clog the toilet.

Liljagare

80 people in Sweden have tested positive, it's apparently a bitch to get tested though, everyone gives patients the run around. 56 cases in Stockholm alone.

Jtibh

Banned
Hey so now that i prepped and ready to die.

How to live life in a breakout?

How do i avoid getting infected?
What not to touch how to clean up after myself how to sanitise how to enter my house what to wear outside etc.

Do we have a guide for this?
It will have to become a routine for the next few months.

Please share.

Thanks

So what the fuck does toilet paper have to do with this? Stop hoarding toilet paper dumb shits, I swear this virus needs to morph into a low-iq killing pandemic and cull a good portion of idiots from this planet.

Now I have to use baby wipes and flush them down the toilet. Enjoy the clogged drains cunts.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
So what the fuck does toilet paper have to do with this? Stop hoarding toilet paper dumb shits, I swear this virus needs to morph into a low-iq killing pandemic and cull a good portion of idiots from this planet.

Now I have to use baby wipes and flush them down the toilet. Enjoy the clogged drains cunts.

If you get quarantined at home for months like China I’d rather run out of food than toilet paper lol

Edit: I guess could always just use the shower instead tho.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Yeah people buying toilet paper and milk that expires in a week really goes to show this is people being hysterical. being that there's no actual crisis, the toilet paper that you hoarded is going to regularly restocked. Then on here I see threads about people buying guns due to the virus to protect their families; Please protect your children by educating yourself

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Hysteria in the age of the internet.
If this is how we react to this disease, imagine if something like AIDS was just becoming popular and having an out break? We would be sending people to concentration camps. What a bitch of a society we live in.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Yeah people buying toilet paper and milk that expires in a week really goes to show this is people being hysterical. being that there's no actual crisis, the toilet paper that you hoarded is going to regularly restocked. Then on here I see threads about people buying guns due to the virus to protect their families; Please protect your children by educating yourself

If you get quarantined at home for months like China I’d rather run out of food than toilet paper lol

Edit: I guess could always just use the shower instead tho.

Nobody ran out of food in China. That's not how quarantines work. They work within the confines of such limitations, not by replacing one problem (virus) with a more severe one (mass starvation).

Anyway, you can't do quarantines here, people would spread the virus on purpose out of spite because we're taught in the west to despise our countries and fellow citizens.

When it comes to toilet paper it's a result of dumb hysteria, not the virus.

bronk

Banned

Oh man. Stacked cans as high as buildings? 😂 Who says that? Also they are ships not boats she should know better being a port worker. Cmoooon now. She just wants some views. She's a security guard. She's at one of the terminals in San Pedro/LA. Yea work has been pretty shit since most of imports come from China. Tomorrow there's a good amount of work but thats just one shift. It definitely is slow and it'll probably be that way for awhile. I work there. She is just annoying me cause sometimes yard looks empty even when work is good and there isnt always hundreds of truckers especially at night. She's just trying to spice up her dumb video.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Nobody ran out of food in China. That's not how quarantines work. They work within the confines of such limitations, not by replacing one problem (virus) with a more severe one (mass starvation).

Anyway, you can't do quarantines here, people would spread the virus on purpose out of spite because we're taught in the west to despise our countries and fellow citizens.

When it comes to toilet paper it's a result of dumb hysteria, not the virus.

How are they receiving new food when being welded into their houses?

betrayal

Banned

It cannot be repeated often enough. You have to learn to read, understand and interpret statistics correctly. "Business Insider" is not able to do this, which doesn't really surprise me with the journalistic standards they have. Of course the flu is much less lethal, that's beyond question, but the death rates of COVID-19 must be viewed critically. Due to the extremely high number of mild symptoms (meaning untested people), this rate drops considerably again.
In the case of influenza, on the other hand, these cases have all been included in the statistics, because the knowledge about the flu is simply much greater at the moment.

As an example for COVID-19 you can take the Diamond Princess. This is a sharply defined space with a lot of old people (the youngest adults were around 25-29). But still the death rate there is only 0.86%, even though, as I said, many elderly people on the ship fell ill. Apart from that, 696 people on the ship were infected, which also means that 3,015 people were not infected. A lot of people seem to forget that.
South Korea would be another example for a more realistisc CFR, where at least partly due to the extreme condensed occurrence of COVID-19 within a religious sect, the figures of mild ones are already partly included. The death rate in South Korea is 0.63%.

What is the key message of all this? The more tests and cases you cover within a limited region, which is much easier in limited areas like the Diamond Princess or the sect in South Korea, the lower the death rate. Fortunately, these are also the death rates, which are closer to reality.

Last edited:

sinnergy

It cannot be repeated often enough. You have to learn to read, understand and interpret statistics correctly. "Business Insider" is not able to do this, which doesn't really surprise me with the journalistic standards they have. Of course the flu is much less lethal, that's beyond question, but the death rates of COVID-19 must be viewed critically. Due to the extremely high number of mild symptoms (meaning untested people), this rate drops considerably again.
In the case of influenza, on the other hand, these cases have all been included in the statistics, because the knowledge about the flu is simply much greater at the moment.

As an example for COVID-19 you can take the Diamond Princess. This is a sharply defined space with a lot of old people (the youngest adults were around 25-29). But still the death rate there is only 0.86%, even though, as I said, many elderly people on the ship fell ill. Apart from that, 696 people on the ship were infected, which also means that 3,015 people were not infected. A lot of people seem to forget that.
South Korea would be another example for a more realistisc CFR, where at least partly due to the extreme condensed occurrence of COVID-19 within a religious sect, the figures of mild ones are already partly included. The death rate in South Korea is 0.63%.

What is the key message of all this? The more tests and cases you cover within a limited region, which is much easier in limited areas like the Diamond Princess or the sect in South Korea, the lower the death rate. Fortunately, these are also the death rates, which are closer to reality.
But they don’t do that on large scale, that’s why WHO calls urgently on rich countries to start acting accordingly, like Italy. People just don’t see the urgency but the urgency is here ...

I mean wtf.

What can WHO do more? Does it need to go badly wrong first? To open their eyes.???

Come on act, seems most can’t see it’s time to act if it’s starting them in the face 😟

Last edited:
My best friends project lead who is sitting at the same table at his work place got tested positive yesterday. She got it from her husband who was tested positive start of this week.
I wonder if I should cancel visiting him this evening, we planned to eat steaks, drink beer and rum and watch some movies...

It cannot be repeated often enough. You have to learn to read, understand and interpret statistics correctly.

Listen to this man...

Last edited:

jts

...hate me...
Hysteria in the age of the internet.
If this is how we react to this disease, imagine if something like AIDS was just becoming popular and having an out break? We would be sending people to concentration camps. What a bitch of a society we live in.
AIDS was way more deadly but you had way more control over not catching it. Although at the time there was a lot of ignorance about the spreading methods.

Sakura

I don't really agree with the Diamond Princess numbers. There was an Australian man from the Diamond Princess who died back in Australia (https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...-confirmed-former-diamond-princess-passenger/) for example, but he isn't included in the 6th deaths for the ship.
Furthermore, you can't really claim a death rate when you still have so many active cases. In South Korea there have been just a little over 100 recoveries, meaning the majority of those 6000+ cases are still active cases. Saying the death rate is 0.63% would be like me saying the recovery rate is 2%.

My best friends project lead who is sitting at the same table at his work place got tested positive yesterday. She got it from her husband who was tested positive start of this week.
I wonder if I should cancel visiting him this evening, we planned to eat steaks, drink beer and rum and watch some movies...

Listen to this man...

I don't have betrayal's number skills but SpaceX has a better chance of blowing up the next Starship rocket test than you have getting this from your best friend. Besides you are not an at risk group.

sinnergy

This reflects my statement 110 %

Must read imo

It’s today’s spirit to not act . But to understand you have to look at the past and be analytical.

Sometimes I think they should have called it a pandemic to let people become aware of the urgency.

In my eyes that’s the mistake WHO made.

Last edited:
I don't really agree with the Diamond Princess numbers. There was an Australian man from the Diamond Princess who died back in Australia (https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...-confirmed-former-diamond-princess-passenger/) for example, but he isn't included in the 6th deaths for the ship.
Furthermore, you can't really claim a death rate when you still have so many active cases. In South Korea there have been just a little over 100 recoveries, meaning the majority of those 6000+ cases are still active cases. Saying the death rate is 0.63% would be like me saying the recovery rate is 2%.
But those cruise ship numbers are statistically the best we have.
Everything else is just guessing.

You have those deaths as a certain number, but you don't have any number whatsoever on how many people are infected.
So, this percentage of a 3.4 death rate that is thrown around is all bollocks at the moment.

Besides you are not an at risk group.
I know, but I am not thinking about my self here, but about spreading this to others who may not be as healthy as I am.. :/

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
It's not my city, but Coronavirus is now in a neighboring city of mine. :messenger_confused:

The Region of Peel - Public Health today confirmed the first positive case of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in the region. The affected individual is a man in his 60s who is a resident of Mississauga.

The individual was aboard the Grand Princess Cruise Ship out of San Francisco from February 11-21 and returned to Canada on February 28.

"The individual was seen and assessed at Trillium Health Partners - Mississauga Hospital where all Infection Protection and Control (IPAC) protocol were followed. The individual is recovering at home and has been put on self-isolation," said Dr. Dante Morra, Chief of Staff, Trillium Health Partners. "I would like to thank our front-line teams, Peel Public Health and Public Health Ontario for their timely and effective response in taking immediate precautions to ensure this patient is being safely and appropriately cared for and that patients, staff and the community are well protected."

By the way, the virus spreading would be very bad, since I posted many times I live in the same city where Hospitals already run past maximum capacity and patients are literally treated in the hallway.

DMKVtmz.png

Last edited:

Sakura

But those cruise ship numbers are statistically the best we have.
Everything else is just guessing.

You have those deaths as a certain number, but you don't have any number whatsoever on how many people are infected.
So, this percentage of a 3.4 death rate that is thrown around is all bollocks at the moment.
Sure. So let's use the cruise ship numbers then (as of the 4th).

R7im2cS.png

We have 706 who tested positive. Of this number, 199 have recovered, 35 are in serious condition, and 6 have died.
Asterisk 4 tells us that there is also an Australian who died after returning to Australia in addition to the 6 deaths, so we have 7 deaths from the ship, giving us 1% currently.
You have to consider that there are still 35 in serious condition. If just 7 of those 35 die, we are at 2% case fatality rate.
Now, hopefully all of those 35 people recover, but until we know their outcome, whatever it is, it doesn't make sense to say that the death rate for the ship is "only" 0.86%.
The most you can say is that it is "at least" 1%.

I don't expect the death rate to be 3.4% when everything is said and done (for western countries at least), but I don't expect it to be below 1% either, barring new treatments.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
AIDS was way more deadly but you had way more control over not catching it. Although at the time there was a lot of ignorance about the spreading methods.

Which is the situation we are in atm. Right now people are hogging supplies that won't be in scarcity, being racist towards others, having mental breakdowns over click-bait news, and bending statistics for attention.

It's disappointing to see.

I feel like they should start adding numbers from the day before. I can't make sense of this anymore without them. Like, it is slowing down a bit in SK isn't it?

I have the same problem. SK reports twice per day, the last numbers
518 cases for the last 24 hours which was broken into 2 batches too.

So when you look at this new 309 number that is just one batch not the total 24 hour report.
I problem is which timezone should count the 24 hour period. right now it is 5:45pm in South Korea

betrayal

Banned
Sure. So let's use the cruise ship numbers then (as of the 4th).

R7im2cS.png

We have 706 who tested positive. Of this number, 199 have recovered, 35 are in serious condition, and 6 have died.
Asterisk 4 tells us that there is also an Australian who died after returning to Australia in addition to the 6 deaths, so we have 7 deaths from the ship, giving us 1% currently.
You have to consider that there are still 35 in serious condition. If just 7 of those 35 die, we are at 2% case fatality rate.
Now, hopefully all of those 35 people recover, but until we know their outcome, whatever it is, it doesn't make sense to say that the death rate for the ship is "only" 0.86%.
The most you can say is that it is "at least" 1%.

I don't expect the death rate to be 3.4% when everything is said and done (for western countries at least), but I don't expect it to be below 1% either, barring new treatments.

You both are right. We'll have to wait and see how the numbers evolve. However, the high number of critical cases is also due to the very high average age of those infected. Diamond Princess has a total of 35 critical cases with 696 infected persons. South Korea has only 52 critical cases with 6,284 cases. Why? Because you are closer to the average age of the population.

The Diamond Princess also shows how high the estimated number of untested infected people could be. Of the nearly 700 people infected on the Diamond Princess, 392 have no symptoms at all (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1099517/japan-coronavirus-patients-diamond-princess/). And again, because it is so important, it must be pointed out that the cases there affect almost significantly more old people.

Last edited:
Which is the situation we are in atm. Right now people are hogging supplies that won't be in scarcity, being racist towards others, having mental breakdowns over click-bait news, and bending statistics for attention.

It's disappointing to see.

I'm Haitian and I grew up with the Haitians have AIDS stigma, we could not even donate blood to the Red Cross until recently.
Although my perspective might be different, I don't think things have evolved as much as you think it has. Humans are still ignorant and mostly stupid at reacting to things they fear can kill them. The internet is just another tool that makes our flaws more visible. We had fax machines, and newspapers for the alarm bells and panic back then.

If we had internet / twitter in the early 80s it would be a more visible reaction that is for sure. Haiti might have been invaded becoming an occupied country. The Gay Rights movement might have been pushed back 100 years. It would be a massive mess. But I also believe some people would have used it to spread the truth of how it spreads faster maybe some of the stigmas would not have stuck as they did back then. It took years for things to be Ironed out with AIDS.

The fear was a thing back then, this is just a faster more visible time.

Getting people informed using the same tools has to happen at the same time and the ignorance and fear though.
We are only 3 months into this not years. Let it iron out but share the information people may react with fear at first but the more info that comes out the better they will be able to process the bullshit from the facts. This takes time.

sinnergy

I'm Haitian and I grew up with the Haitians have AIDS stigma, we could not even donate blood to the Red Cross until recently.
Although my perspective might be different, I don't think things have evolved as much as you think it has. Humans are still ignorant and mostly stupid at reacting to things they fear can kill them. The internet is just another tool that makes our flaws more visible. We had fax machines, and newspapers for the alarm bells and panic back then.

If we had internet / twitter in the early 80s it would be a more visible reaction that is for sure. Haiti might have been invaded becoming an occupied country. The Gay Rights movement might have been pushed back 100 years. It would be a massive mess. But I also believe some people would have used it to spread the truth of how it spreads faster maybe some of the stigmas would not have stuck as they did back then. It took years for things to be Ironed out with AIDS.

The fear was a thing back then, this is just a faster more visible time.

Getting people informed using the same tools has to happen at the same time and the ignorance and fear though.
We are only 3 months into this not years. Let it iron out but share the information people may react with fear at first but the more info that comes out the better they will be able to process the bullshit from the facts. This takes time.
Yup provide a honest information stream, this is what it is.
Yet they leave locations out here in The Netherlands, our own CDC.

Knowledge is power and acceptance.

betrayal

Banned
Here is a statistic of the death rate broken down by pre-conditions, regardless of age. If you do the math you will come to the conclusion that if you're under 50 with no pre-existing conditions, your chance of dying is very small. Probably about 0.01 - 0.05%.

Unfortunately there are no current figures on this, but when Italy reached 58 deaths, all 58 people without exception were over 60 years old and almost everyone had known severe chronic pre-existing conditions.

PRE-EXISTING CONDITION​
DEATH RATE
confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
Cardiovascular disease
13.2%
10.5%
Diabetes
9.2%
7.3%
Chronic respiratory disease
8.0%
6.3%
Hypertension
8.4%
6.0%
Cancer
7.6%
5.6%
no pre-existing conditions
0.9%

Source: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Yep, and we should concentrate on those who are really affected.
Healthy thirtysomethings prepping supermarkets empty and panicmongering are not really helping.

This is precisely what measures will focus on if the disease spreads further. Protecting the elderly and sick.

Last edited:

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account

Where do you live? And if you ask us whever to meet with your bestfriend - my answer would be - no. He/she could be already passively contain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom