• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a stupid way to find out my own State just had a case.

Here's a breakdown of which US states have cases of the coronavirus
There are now at least 304 confirmed or presumptive confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus in the United States.
This includes 49 cases in repatriated citizens and 255 cases detected in 28 states.
Here is a state-by-state breakdown of the 255 cases:

Arizona: 3 cases
California: 60, including 1 death
Colorado: 8
Connecticut: 1
Florida: 4
Georgia: 3
Hawaii: 1
Illinois: 6
Indiana: 1
Kentucky: 1
Maryland: 3
Massachusetts: 8
Minnesota: 1
Nebraska: 1
Nevada: 1
New Hampshire: 2
New Jersey: 4
New York: 44
North Carolina: 2
Oklahoma: 1
Oregon: 3
Pennsylvania: 2
Rhode Island: 3
South Carolina: 2
Tennessee: 1
Texas: 8
Washington: 80, including 14 deaths
Wisconsin: 1

100?

Yeah maybe it was 100 I'd have to dig back to find.

I guess there is still a little time, reports are still coming out, but that's a lot to overcome.

Is this a closest winner like horseshoes and hand grenades?

CNN was wrong about Connecticut (My State). State politics loophole is allowing them to push the case towards New York.

DANBURY, Conn. (WTNH) — A person working in Connecticut has tested positive for the coronavirus.

According to Governor Ned Lamont, the woman is an employee at Danbury Hospital and Norwalk Hospital who lives in New York State and came into contact with a person in her community who has the virus.

The woman is back home and is in self-quarantine in Westchester County, New York. Lamont said officials have notified the people she has come into contact with over the last few days. Those who show symptoms within 14 days will be tested.

---
I guess each Country and now even US States are playing this game of not my problem not my case.

Last edited:

FBI employee near San Francisco tests positive for coronavirus
From CNN's Shimon Prokupecz

An FBI employee out of the San Francisco field division is among those to test positive for the novel coronavirus, an FBI official confirmed Friday.
The infected person is based out of a smaller satellite office and not the main offices in San Francisco.

This is good info about US CDC Test Kit (not the private labs)

"Connecticut has one kit for coronavirus testing; one kit provides 600 tests. Lamont has requested additional kits from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Coleman-Mitchell said the extra kit should be in next week."
source

Last edited:
Florida not looking so low risk and mild right now. They should have never said that before they even got a case. People can sue you for saying things like that and then oops.

Last edited:
US coronavirus cases rise by 100 in just 24 hours

The US now has 329 confirmed or presumed positive cases of the novel coronavirus in 28 states, according to CNN's tally of US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state totals.
Compared to the Thursday night total of 227 cases, that is a jump of more than 100 infections in just 24 hours.
The largest clusters of cases are in Washington state, California and New York. In total there have been 15 deaths from the virus in the US.

CNN is beating BNO right now with that number.

Last edited:

FFS

Maryland's 3 coronavirus cases are linked to an Egyptian river cruise
Three Maryland patients contracted the coronavirus on a Nile River cruise in Egypt, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan announced in a news conference.

Hogan said these cases also appear to be linked to six confirmed coronavirus cases in Texas who were also on a Nile River cruise.
Two of the Maryland patients had public interaction. Hogan said that one individual, after returning from the cruise on February 20, attended an event in the Philadelphia area where they were in contact with a group of children. As a result, the Central Bucks Co. School District in the Philadelphia suburbs made the decision to close five local schools today.

Another patient attended a public event on February 29 at the Village at Rockville, a retirement community where they were in contact with approximately 70 to 100 individuals including outside visitors, as well as residents and staff, according to Hogan.

CNN

------

Worker at downtown Seattle Starbucks store diagnosed with coronavirus
An employee at a downtown Seattle Starbucks has tested positive for novel coronavirus, according to a memo released by the company Friday evening.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

FFS

Three Maryland patients contracted the coronavirus on a Nile River cruise in Egypt, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan announced in a news conference.

Hogan said these cases also appear to be linked to six confirmed coronavirus cases in Texas who were also on a Nile River cruise.
Two of the Maryland patients had public interaction. Hogan said that one individual, after returning from the cruise on February 20, attended an event in the Philadelphia area where they were in contact with a group of children. As a result, the Central Bucks Co. School District in the Philadelphia suburbs made the decision to close five local schools today.

Another patient attended a public event on February 29 at the Village at Rockville, a retirement community where they were in contact with approximately 70 to 100 individuals including outside visitors, as well as residents and staff, according to Hogan.

CNN

------

An employee at a downtown Seattle Starbucks has tested positive for novel coronavirus, according to a memo released by the company Friday evening.

So whatever happened to the supposed case in the VA hospital in Clark County?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

FFS

CNN

------

Well here's something more to add to your news as apparently this is an update.

Possible Las Vegas coronavirus patient in serious condition
Joe Moeller
1 hour ago

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — At least two people in our state have tested “presumptive positive” for the coronavirus in Nevada. One of those cases is here in Clark County and on Friday we learned of another one up north in Washoe County.

We are waiting for the CDC to confirm both of those cases.

A man in his 50’s who tested “presumptive positive” for the coronavirus remains in the VA Hospital in North Las Vegas. The man, who we are told does have an underlying health issue, was tested late Wednesday and now we are waiting for a confirmation from the CDC.

“Right now, we have no indication of community spread. We have not identified any contacts with symptoms,” said Kimberly Hertin — Disease Surveillance Supervisor.

We know the man who traveled to Washington and Texas in the past 2 weeks lives in Clark County. Now, the Southern Nevada Health District is looking where else the patient visited.

“We’re in the process of still talking and notifying close contacts and assessing them for symptoms as we speak,’ Hertin added.

Brian Lobus who is a professor of epidemiology at UNLV. He says the investigation is lengthy and can take time. He says there is a reason they don’t name possible locations where the patient has been this early.

“If you start to talk places that may have been potentially identified they mean absolutely nothing to the general public,” Lobus said. “There may be no risk to the general public, there may be no reason to do anything with those particular places.”

He says naming places early could have a negative impact.

“It doesn’t make sense to announce them because you may ruin someone’s business or impact someone in a way that doesn’t need to be bothered by this because it doesn’t really matter, it really comes down to the fact that they don’t have all the details,” Lobus said.

Lobus says this case does not come as a surprise.

That patient was tested Wednesday night. The health district says it takes 24 to 48 hours to get the results confirmed from the CDC.

nush

For every single case they find, there will actually be 2. The person with it, and the person they caught it from.

For every single case they find, there will actually be 2. The person with it, and the person they caught it from.

Or the first Nurse, Policeman, Fireman who came into contact with them. This is really messy. They were giving CPR to this one case in Washington.

Last edited:
California's Alameda County confirms 2nd case of coronavirus, a passenger on Grand Princess cruise

A new case of the novel coronavirus from a passenger who was on the now-quarantined Grand Princess cruise ship has been confirmed in Northern California’s Alameda County.

The patient is an older adult who has underlying health conditions and is currently hospitalized, the Alameda County Public Health Department said in a news release.

Their family members are now under quarantine.

They should ban Cruises for a few months.

Man i went to the movies tonight and in the row in front of me an asian couple sat down and the whole row moved away from them I felt so bad. Faith in humanity dropped a couple points.

If the virus has started in a white based nation and people were actively avoiding white people, the media and everyone would laugh at accusations of racism and discrimination.

Fuck em. People have every right to avoid something associated with danger.

Look up the articles back when the SARS epidemic hit, no one was throwing around accusations of racism when people were avoiding asians/china then.

Last edited:

vpance

Man i went to the movies tonight and in the row in front of me an asian couple sat down and the whole row moved away from them I felt so bad. Faith in humanity dropped a couple points.

Honestly, that's a nice attribute to have going to the movies.

Here in Canada we have to avoid Asians, Iranians and Italians. Very inclusive and balanced.

Jooxed

Gold Member
If the virus has started in a white based nation and people were actively avoiding white people, the media and everyone would laugh at accusations of racism and discrimination.

Fuck em. People have every right to avoid something associated with danger.

Look up the articles back when the SARS epidemic hit, no one was throwing around accusations of racism when people were avoiding asians/china then.

Hate to break it to you champ but you are going to get the same corona virus from an Asian as a White and the 4 seats you put in between you and the Asian sure as hell isn’t going to stop it.

Hate to break it to you champ but you are going to get the same corona virus from an Asian as a White and the 4 seats you put in between you and the Asian sure as hell isn’t going to stop it.

Im well aware of that, as most people are. Youve missed the point i was making.

The media is throwing around accusations of racisim because people are actively avoiding Asians/Asian based business (food) because of the place of origin of the break out. If this occurred first in Europe or even AUS/UK/US/NZ, no one would be calling the avoiding of white based business or people, racist.

Getting a little sick of all this virus talk. Think I might stop checking the news/ this thread and just practice good hygiene.

The only reason this is getting news is because its the same strand that people are catching, the common flu has more deaths per year associated with it but thats ignored because its always a mutated/different strand.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Does anyone know what it is specifically that is killing people? I'm assuming illness leads to pneumonia or something of the sort?

I'm watching The Good Place and Jason says "this one time in Jacksonville I got a food virus named after me because I kissed a bat on a dare".

DAMN YOU MOTHERFUCKER

Looks like I am going to bed with the US at 329 confirmed... I had guessed 350 by end of day Friday.. boo on me!

Not great, not terrible.

What do we think the #s will be next Friday 3/13 for the US, end of day (Pacific)?

I'mma gonna go with 917 confirmed.

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Im well aware of that, as most people are. Youve missed the point i was making.

The media is throwing around accusations of racisim because people are actively avoiding Asians/Asian based business (food) because of the place of origin of the break out. If this occurred first in Europe or even AUS/UK/US/NZ, no one would be calling the avoiding of white based business or people, racist.

The only reason this is getting news is because its the same strand that people are catching, the common flu has more deaths per year associated with it but thats ignored because its always a mutated/different strand.

In the US, almost all the cases are white people. Sitting next to an Asian is probably safer. You can argue they're not racist, but they most certainly are morons.

That second part of your post is just. Not worth the time.

In the US, almost all the cases are white people. Sitting next to an Asian is probably safer. You can argue they're not racist, but they most certainly are morons.

That second part of your post is just. Not worth the time.

No shit. Theyre the biggest demographic, so naturally...

"That second part of your post is just. Not worth the time."
Shows how detached from reality you are.

A japanese girl that I know who is in India right just wrote me, that kids were throwing stones at her there..

All Hail C-Webb

Wow, this is undeniably another attempt to keep the numbers low, and it's fucking disgusting.
How do you keep the sick away from those who aren't?
We're on the level of Iran, and North Korea.
The CDC has gone from being one of the most respected organizations in the US, to a joke of a circus.

The numbers are going to be huge and awful anyway. How long do they think they'll get away with this before even the stupidest among us realizes what's going on?

Edit: I'm upset because this shit is just fucking stupid. We already know what works, and it's the only thing that can work in a situation like this. Immediate, and decisive action to protect the populace. Yes there will be a hit to the economy, but it pales in comparison to the hit we will take by wasting time before we end up needing to take the actions we've been trying to avoid. This is going to run rampant, and our medical system won't be able to keep up, and we're going to lose many people. I expect that we will start to see tensions rising next week as more tests are run.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Wow, this is undeniably another attempt to keep the numbers low, and it's fucking disgusting.
How do you keep the sick away from those who aren't?
We're on the level of Iran, and North Korea.
The CDC has gone from being one of the most respected organizations in the US, to a joke of a circus.

The numbers are going to be huge and awful anyway. How long do they think they'll get away with this before even the stupidest among us realizes what's going on?

Edit: I'm upset because this shit is just fucking stupid. We already know what works, and it's the only thing that can work in a situation like this. Immediate, and decisive action to protect the populace. Yes there will be a hit to the economy, but it pales in comparison to the hit we will take by wasting time before we end up needing to take the actions we've been trying to avoid. This is going to run rampant, and our medical system won't be able to keep up, and we're going to lose many people. I expect that we will start to see tensions rising next week as more tests are run.
I disagree.

This isnt China, with a command and control health care system and army of medical personnel that can be mobilized at the whim of the government. The USA is full of private clinics and hospitals who cannot afford to be burning through PPE, room cleans, and lost manpower from exposed/infected healthcare workers to treat mild cases. There's also the fact that we simply cannot quarantine everyone that comes down with the sniffles for upto 96 hours until their coronavirus swab comes back negative.

The virus is already wild can't be contained because a Wuhan style lockdown of the city of Seattle was never going to happen. Having every mild case be tested means more unnecessary exposure to health care workers and more wasted resources that could be used to treat those who actually need medical treatment.

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

I disagree.

This isnt China, with a command and control health care system and army of medical personnel that can be mobilized at the whim of the government. The USA is full of private clinics and hospitals who cannot afford to be burning through PPE, room cleans, and lost manpower from exposed/infected healthcare workers to treat mild cases.

The virus is already wild can't be contained because a Wuhan style lockdown of the city of Seattle was never going to happen. Having every mild case be tested means more unnecessary exposure to health care workers and more wasted resources that could be used to treat those who actually need medical treatment.

These aren't going to be mild cases. as it's the retirement and eldercare homes. These are the highest risk and most severe cases, and they're not going to test them because they don't want more deaths attributed to Coronavirus. But they will be attributed to Coronavirus, and these decisions will cause more death. So yea, I understand why you didn't realize what this was, because who ever thought that the CDC would be the most corrupt health organization in the world?

sinnergy

Ever 3 days the numbers in Europe seems to double , if they do this constantly. We can have 400,000 infections in 18 days, if measures don’t help.

Simple math.

And there are no real measures imo.

Bleak.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
These aren't going to be mild cases. as it's the retirement and eldercare homes. These are the highest risk and most severe cases, and they're not going to test them because they don't want more deaths attributed to Coronavirus. But they will be attributed to Coronavirus, and these decisions will cause more death. So yea, I understand why you didn't realize what this was, because who ever thought that the CDC would be the most corrupt health organization in the world?
That's not what is happening. I've read the memo. Have you? They have only stopped testing at outpatient clinics.

Health care workers, suspected nursing home cases, hospitalised patients or anyone part of a suspected outbreak cluster will still be tested. Also, anyone can be tested at their physician's discretion if it would change management.

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

That's not what is happening. I've read the memo. Have you? They have only stopped testing at outpatient clinics.

Health care workers, suspected nursing home cases, hospitalised patients or anyone part of a suspected outbreak cluster will still be tested. Also, anyone can be tested at their physician's discretion if it would change management.

I picked the perfect lines to glance over, so thanks for pointing it out, definitely my mistake on that point.

Does not change the overall picture for me though. When the administration does their next press conferences do you think they'll be saying that there's no point in testing because the disease is so prevalent in certain areas that they've deemed it endemic, or will they continue to tout low numbers? I hope they do the right thing, but they haven't yet.
What happens to the sick people who come in but aren't tested? Are they sent back out into the world, or are they told, oh you might be sick, so please quarantine for 14 days?

Enough for me today though.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I picked the perfect lines to glance over, so thanks for pointing it out, definitely my mistake on that point.

Does not change the overall picture for me though. When the administration does their next press conferences do you think they'll be saying that there's no point in testing because the disease is so prevalent in certain areas that they've deemed it endemic, or will they continue to tout low numbers? I hope they do the right thing, but they haven't yet.
What happens to the sick people who come in but aren't tested? Are they sent back out into the world, or are they told, oh you might be sick, so please quarantine for 14 days?

Enough for me today though.
They'll be told the same thing anyone with a mild viral illness is told: go home and rest. Avoid contact with others who you may make sick, especially the elderly and frail.

autoduelist

Even if someone avoided every Asian during a pandemic out of fear of contagion, that is not racism. It's not like they think lesser of a group based on race, they're literally just scared of catching a serious virus.

RealGassy

Banned
Faith in humanity restored a couple of points.

When instead of caring about political correctness, tree-hugging or some other bullshit,
they cared about their safety first as they instinctively perceived them as a potential vector of infection and avoided them.

If every person who came back from vacation in Italy got a stamp on their forehead, everybody would avoid them like plague too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom