• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are trying to learn how to stop shaking hands making for awkward social interactions. The last thing they need is being called racist for avoiding others.

Last edited:
Hong Kong says 17 people tried to escape quarantine
From CNN's Chermaine Lee in Hong Kong

A number of people violated Hong Kong’s compulsory quarantine policy and tried to escape the city, Sophia Chan, the Secretary for Food and Health, said on Friday.

----

that is going to be wild to see

Last edited:

Alx

Faith in humanity restored a couple of points.

When instead of caring about political correctness, tree-hugging or some other bullshit,
they cared about their safety first as they instinctively perceived them as a potential vector of infection and avoided them.

If every person who came back from vacation in Italy got a stamp on their forehead, everybody would avoid them like plague too.

Except that being Asian isn't the same as "just coming back from China".

Dutch, fearing coronavirus, brace for return of 900 students from Italian Alps

RealGassy

Banned
Except that being Asian isn't the same as "just coming back from China".
And how are you supposed to tell the difference?

Hmm, how many asians live in the US, how many Chinese tourists are there at any given time, how many Chinese have visited their relatives in China recently, etc, etc.

Now figure that shit out in a second or two as a group of asians are about to sit next to you.

You can sit there for minutes doing the calculus and math trying to figure out % likelihood of infection, I'll just gtfo and stay safe.

I've been grabbing some supplies here and there over the last week and today things were noticeably different. There was still a good amount of TP on the shelves, but significantly less than normal. Canned food isle was pretty similar.

Interestingly enough, every single disinfectant wipe was completely sold out. I'm in northern california where there's a good amount of confirmed cases and it seems like people around here are starting get a bit more nervous.

Some of my coworkers that thought this was overblown are starting to look at it a bit differently

Grand Princess passenger "airlifted" from cruise ship
From CNN's Alta Spells

One passenger aboard the Grand Princess was airlifted from the stranded cruise ship and flown back to San Francisco, another person on board told CNN.
Steven Smith told CNN's Michael Holmes that the ship's captain made the announcement over the an internal public address system.
"The captain came on a few minutes ago with another announcement that a helicopter was just dispatched to the ship to drop off some supplies and to pick up a passenger who needed medical attention and they flew that person back to San Francisco," said Smith.

donfonzie

Gold Member
Hong Kong says 17 people tried to escape quarantine
From CNN's Chermaine Lee in Hong Kong

A number of people violated Hong Kong’s compulsory quarantine policy and tried to escape the city, Sophia Chan, the Secretary for Food and Health, said on Friday.

----

that is going to be wild to see

Would be easier to hear the players trash talk... that would be entertaining.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Dutch, fearing coronavirus, brace for return of 900 students from Italian Alps

Yup the government just let them go on vacation last week 🤣

Portugeezer

Look at the panic in people, imagine if this was actually highly deadly... Shit is pissing me off, mainly the reaction of people who don't have any ongoing medical conditions.

Porcile

How do you know who has or doesn’t have a condition

ns1Hh8v.png

ruvikx

Banned
What pisses me off is people not taking it as serious. I’ll talk to you again in a month or 2.

If the media had never reported on it, you'd never know it existed. That's a fact, i.e. no one who is dying of this thing is "unusual" from a flu perspective. So a bunch of old people & others who're already sick have passed away? Where were you when 80,000 Americans died of the flu in 2017/18? https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/26/health/flu-deaths-2017--2018-cdc-bn/index.html

And don't tell me "coronavirus has a far higher mortality rate & millions will die!"

A/we don't know for certain (i.e. not everyone with the virus is detected because many won't show anything beyond common cold symptoms, ergo they're not at the doctor's or hospital getting marked down on official statistics) & B/millions haven't died yet. In fact hardly anyone has died considering normal flu season claims tens of thousand of lives in most western countries every year.

ExpandKong

Banned
If the media had never reported on it, you'd never know it existed. That's a fact, i.e. no one who is dying of this thing is "unusual" from a flu perspective. So a bunch of old people & others who're already sick have passed away? Where were you when 80,000 Americans died of the flu in 2017/18? https://edition.cnn.com/2018/09/26/health/flu-deaths-2017--2018-cdc-bn/index.html

And don't tell me "coronavirus has a far higher mortality rate & millions will die!"

A/we don't know for certain (i.e. not everyone with the virus is detected because many won't show anything beyond common cold symptoms, ergo they're not at the doctor's or hospital getting marked down on official statistics) & B/millions haven't died yet. In fact hardly anyone has died considering normal flu season claims tens of thousand of lives in most western countries every year.

j u s t a f l u b r o

sinnergy

Go read up how pandemics start, ff you know the Black Death started small, in the course of 6 years, yes 6 years it took millions of lives. And in that age we didn’t travel the world in such a connected way. And the mortality of this virus is higher than FLU, that’s a fact.

lyan

I can't speak for others but my main concern is getting it myself then spreading it to my loved ones who are at a much higher risk than myself.

Nvzman

Go read up how pandemics start, ff you know the Black Death started small, in the course of 6 years, yes 6 years it took millions of lives. And in that age we didn’t travel the world in such a connected way. And the mortality of this virus is higher than FLU, that’s a fact.
Not saying either of you are totally correct, but wouldnt we already have a vaccine developed and ready within that time? Therefore making that possibility extremely hard?

ruvikx

Banned

I won't spoil your fun, but you're going to be disappointed when this thing goes the same route as bird flu (i.e. which the WHO claimed could kill 150 million... & then turned into nothing). And your higher mortality rate is not a fact, at all. The sample is far too low & we have no idea who contracted this virus & didn't get sick (thus isn't on any official data).

I get that's hard for some to comprehend, but there isn't a magical device which let's the official statistics know whenever someone has a cold.

Kadayi

Banned
ruvikx ruvikx

If it was no big deal why would China go to the lengths they did to try and contain it?

This notion of 'well Flu kills more people' as a base metric is all well and good, but the thing is standard Flu is something humanity has coped with for quite some time and is found almost everywhere whereas Covid 19 is something entirely new that people are experiencing for the first time and at least based on infections/deaths is a lot deadlier. Even if the WHO assessment of 3.4% mortality rate is off (which equates to 1 in 29 people who are infected dying) you're still talking about a virus that could potentially kill a couple of hundred million people if unchecked, and at any point could evolve into a deadlier strain.

Last edited:

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
that is not a fact
as mentioned before, there are many cases that go undiagnosed
we won’t know true mortality until there are more test kits

Kadayi

Banned
188 cases in The Netherlands. +60 from yesterday.

Hey, it's just a Coff Dude, stop fretting. That's only a 46.875% increase in a day. Relax at that rate unchecked it's still going to take around a month for it to infect your entire country. Kick back, have some brewskis, nothing to see here. I've been assured by numerous Edgelords in this thread that the WHO and other medical organisations are just blowing this whole thing out of proportion. You'll probably live, it's fine (just maybe not your parents, Grandparents or uncle Winston with emphysema) They probably made it all up in order to short the stock exchange. 🤔

Last edited:

Banned
You'll probably live, it's fine (just maybe not your parents, Grandparents or uncle Winston with emphysema) They probably made it all up in order to short the stock exchange. 🤔

Yep. It’s like some of you who don’t have older family members. Or maybe just don’t care?

Stock exchange plummeting. Just look at the crazy videos coming out of China we’ve seen.

just the flu...

Sakura

I'm not sure I understand your argument. We shouldn't take it seriously and be concerned, because it might have a low death rate? Because people die from the flu, it is ok if people die from coronavirus?
What point are you trying to make exactly?
If we waited until millions died before we started taking it seriously, then it would already kind of be too late, wouldn't it?

ruvikx

Banned
I'm not sure I understand your argument. We shouldn't take it seriously and be concerned, because it might have a low death rate? Because people die from the flu, it is ok if people die from coronavirus?
What point are you trying to make exactly?
If we waited until millions died before we started taking it seriously, then it would already kind of be too late, wouldn't it?

We shouldn't overexaggerate, sow fear, hysteria & damage the economy based on scaremongering about "could be" scenarios. That's my point. I have no issue with taking something seriously, but I do take issue with the aforementioned group of doom merchants, plus anyone who goes full #selfrighteous & verbally attacks people who simply raise questions about the actual seriousness of it compared to prior flus/pandemics.

RealGassy

Banned
Yep. It’s like some of you who don’t have older family members. Or maybe just don’t care?

Stock exchange plummeting. Just look at the crazy videos coming out of China we’ve seen.

just the flu...
Imagine the world where all the old and weak people doesn't exist. Demographic miracle cure!
Wouldn't that be fucking amazing?
It would do wonders for the economy, realestate and healthcare affordability, lower taxes, cost of living, everything.

Wouldn't you say your old family members is a fair trade?

Being old and weak sucks anyway, spreading it to the old could be seen as a form of effective altruism.

/s

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
I won't spoil your fun, but you're going to be disappointed when this thing goes the same route as bird flu (i.e. which the WHO claimed could kill 150 million... & then turned into nothing). And your higher mortality rate is not a fact, at all. The sample is far too low & we have no idea who contracted this virus & didn't get sick (thus isn't on any official data).

I get that's hard for some to comprehend, but there isn't a magical device which let's the official statistics know whenever someone has a cold.
Well.

I can say we already reported about this way before it was reported in the media.
The media was like a month behind.
Infact local media here didnt report anything till the first canadians were affected by this.

Second, we had waaaayyy to many of your kind popping in here with its hyped its over blown more people die from flu so on so on and we are tired to hear it.
This thread is not a debate thread.
This thread is us reporting daily news and YOU be the judge what you take out of it.

I dont know what you think you will achive with your condesending attitude.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruvikx

Banned
Jtibh Jtibh

What you're really saying is you're having too much fun with this news, enjoying the drama & enjoying your own condescending "put downs" on anyone who might not believe this coronavirus is actually worth losing our sh*t over or worthy of constant 24/7 breaking news. Carry on, I stopped listening to the antics of your kind a while ago.

longdi

Banned
"CEO of the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations Dr Richard Hatchett explains the long-term dangers of the Covid-19 coronavirus - saying it's the scariest outbreak he's dealt with in his 20-year career." (3/6/2020)

He looks dead inside.
Rolled his eyes when the woman ask about overhyping to secure funds...

Blond

Banned
can we all agree though that China needs to get its fucking shit together with animals and hygiene

I spent 24 hours in Hong Kong in a layover a couple years ago and I'm just saying I'm more surprised that they don't have more of these things.

A long twitter thread but a good read, especially for the justtheflubros.

Requoting for the justtheflubros. Please read.

It's not gospel or anything, but based off of numbers we're seeing from elsewhere it is a very real possibility that areas of the medical infrastructure system can be overwhelmed from this. 10% of all cases needing hospitalization is huge. Especially since it is seeming to take people a very long while to recover and actually not have the virus any longer.

The death of a larger % of our elderly loved ones is just a side note I guess.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Look at the panic in people, imagine if this was actually highly deadly... Shit is pissing me off, mainly the reaction of people who don't have any ongoing medical conditions.

Yeah, but doesn't the media have a large part to blame?

What I don't understand is why this is such a big deal, when it's no more deadly then the flu?

The co worker of my buddy who was tested positive for Corona still doesn't have any symptoms.
Her husband who she got this from as well. Both are around 30 years old.

Jtibh

Banned
M

Also, I feel like most of the media stuff has been fine, tame even. People of course jump to conclusions but I haven't seen them telling people to stock up now or die or anything.

Most of the media is down playing the virus.

Just now on my way to work they asked a doctor can the virus infect others if the person shows no symptoms.

And he said NO. It can only spread if the person already shows symhtoms.

Just one of many bull the media is spreading.

Its the media that plays its only flu card.

M

Most of the media is down playing the virus.

Just now on my way to work they asked a doctor can the virus infect others if the person shows no symptoms.

And he said NO. It can only spread if the person already shows symhtoms.

Just one of many bull the media is spreading.

Its the media that plays its only flu card.

Well you have one side saying the media is being irresponsible fear mongerers.. Which they typically are (scare sells) and another side saying they're downplaying things and resulting in people being unprepared.

I think it's both, and neither. I guess there are a lot of media outlets, and the ones I follow are the ones doing a better job than most.

We still don't know confirmed details about this virus, even after all this time. I like getting reporting about concrete details we do know.

There will always be people giving bad advice, and hopefully most people can be smart enough to seek alternative opinions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting tweet that's been making the rounds on Japanese Twitter. The background is that the Japanese government has been getting criticized for not doing mass testing for Coronavirus and accused of trying to basically run a coverup operation to hide the real numbers of infections. This guy basically posited that it's not them trying to hide things, but more that they're trying to control the situation so that the people who truly need care can get it.

Quick translation:

"80% or so of people who get the Coronavirus only have light symptoms and get better in around 5 days.

However, testing as many people as possible means you're going to get a lot of positive results from people with only light symptoms.

When you do that, you're forced to quarantine even people with light symptoms.

This quickly fills up medical facilities and prevents people with serious symptoms from getting care.

You saw this situation happen in South Korea and now they're transitioning to a method more like Japan's. Japan's restriction on testing has led to its extremely low death rate.

The fear-mongering TV media will never tell you this."

Not sure if it's true or not, but it does seem like the countries that are testing a ton also have a lot of dead people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kadayi

Banned
IGNORE!!!

*sigh*

How about you just ignore him and lay off the open grandstanding about it with these hysterical declarations? No one gives a cunt. This isn't the first time you've done it in this thread already and it just makes you look a fragile 'safe space' Twitter bitch who can't handle remotely their opinions being challenged in any context. It's easy enough to deal with these 'It's just the Flu Bro' Edgelords through logic, reason and ridicule. Alternatively, maybe GAF just isn't the forum for you and you should go sign up at Era (www.resetera.com) as I dare say their authoritarian approach and 'Not listening' attitude to all things may appeal more to you (assuming you're on the right side of history according to them ). No one's coming to this thread for your dog & pony show versus updates on what's happening with the virus globally (shout outs to those regulars posting updates)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom