• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can afford it easily.. there is enough money with the super rich and besides that you can trade services like the old days.

But people are not willing to give up things ;) that’s something different .

It’s time to help each other .

I agree with you on that. But Bernie gets hate for a reason. Most people are not about that sharing thing.
I would wager many are tying to find ways to get richer off this rather.

GHG

Gold Member
This would have been over already if they shut shit down when it first broke out.

No flights in and out of China, China keeping their effected areas quarantined and then the rest of the world helping where possible while still being vigilant for potential cases in their own countries.

But no, it was downplayed by the WHO and international governments because it wasn't close enough to home yet and keeping the global economy was seen as more important than the health and wellbeing of the general population.

Now we are in a situation where the long term implications of this will far outstrip what would have been a temporary economic downturn for a few weeks.

I know its easy to say in hindsight but people should have seen this coming. It was only a few weeks ago many on here were saying "it's just a flu" when companies were pulling out of trade shows and exhibitions. You don't see many people still saying that now that it's hitting closer to home and their parents/grandparents might be at risk.

Last edited:
This would have been over already if they shut shit down when it first broke out.

No flights in and out of China, China keeping their effected areas quarantined and then the rest of the world helping where possible while still being vigilant for potential cases in their own countries.

But no, it was downplayed by the WHO and international governments because it wasn't close enough to home yet and keeping the global economy was seen as more important than the health and wellbeing of the general population.

Now we are in a situation where the long term implications of this will far outstrip what would have been a temporary economic downturn for a few weeks.

I know its easy to say in hindsight but people should have seen this coming. It was only a few weeks ago many on here were saying "it's just a flu" when companies were pulling out of trade shows and exhibitions. You don't see many people still saying that now that it's hitting closer to home and their parents/grandparents might be at risk.
The worst part was they let 5 millions peopel escape the wuhan area before the lockdown order

Kagey K

Banned
I agree with you on that. But Bernie gets hate for a reason. Most people are not about that sharing thing.
I would wager many are tying to find ways to get richer off this rather.
Lots of people are getting rich off this, while others are dropping like rocks. Something like this only affects certain industries, while it props up others.

GHG

Gold Member
The worst part was they let 5 millions peopel escape the wuhan area before the lockdown order

Yep and because it was Chinese New year those people travelled all over the world.

Absolute clusterfuck on multiple levels.

Now many international airlines are struggling, kids are being ribbed of crucial education time because schools are being shut, exhibitions/conferences cancelled, parts shortages, etc... The list goes on.

It baffles me that in the sophisticated world we live in now this is allowed to happen. As ridiculous as it is, it makes me start think they wanted it to happen for whatever reason.

sinnergy

Yep and because it was Chinese New year those people travelled all over the world.

Absolute clusterfuck on multiple levels.

Now many international airlines are struggling, kids are being ribbed of crucial education time because schools are being shut, exhibitions/conferences cancelled, parts shortages, etc... The list goes on.

It baffles me that in the sophisticated world we live in now this is allowed to happen. As ridiculous as it is, it makes me start think they wanted it to happen for whatever reason.
Crucial education time 🤣 Health is more important, people need to get their priorities straight .

I bet they will survive without education for a year , parents need to step up their game at home , enough time and as long their is internet, because we all have not to go to work.

nush

That is not realistically possible, if you have people flying in and out of another country they have visa and pre-booked flights and trevel plans they need to follow. Authorities cannot just wake up one monrning and say "OK. No more trevel in or out of this country!".

You're Chinese and not in China that day. What do you do?

You're not Chinese and in China that day. What do you do?

Both groups have rules for how long they can stay where they are. What's going to happen? Put both groups in prision for breaking the terms of thier visa becuse the rules where flipped on them without notice?

Yean we can't turn back the clock, we all watched this go down, and we all had our opinions about how bad or mild it would be.
The most important thing to understand is this is still very early. How will things change this time next year? What new laws will be in place? What kind of relationships will countries have?

That is a year from now we won't know but what we do now is something we are all in on.

Do folks still say this is still nothing and say the panic was way overblown?

Do we all start to accept that folks who are already sick and folks aged 60-80s all die off from this just so the rest of us get back to work as normal?

I am not sure our health systems can even support as many patients all at once.

Do we all just pick up the pieces after vaccines are out?

I think the worst part of this journey is watching our leaders stumble through to find a path through it. A lot of mistakes are ahead.

I don't think panic is needed, we should have panicked before the Wuhan shutdown. Now we have to really try hard not to make all of this even worst.

I still can't fucking believe people are still going on Cruise at this point. No one said shut it down, all I've seen is screen them better before they get on the ships.

JordanN

Banned
That is not realistically possible, if you have people flying in and out of another country they have visa and pre-booked flights and trevel plans they need to follow. Authorities cannot just wake up one monrning and say "OK. No more trevel in or out of this country!".

Both groups have rules for how long they can stay where they are. What's going to happen? Put both groups in prision for breaking the terms of thier visa becuse the rules where flipped on them without notice?
9/11?

It was already possible back then to ground all flights or divert them out of the USA. And that took place during a surprise attack, meaning it was executed very quickly without any previous trial and error.

Last edited:
Did China just not report numbers at all? They pushed the hotel thing front and center and ducked releasing numbers.

I am having trouble finding the last time China released numbers.

efit: Only thing I could find that matches the time they would have released

just the deaths not new cases

BNO replied

Last edited:
Pence says US tracking another cruise ship over coronavirus concerns

Saw this on some long youtube news video did a search for more sources.
Looks like they are keeping the name of this 3rd Ship (4th Ship if you include the Nile Ship) secret until they test crew.

Of course you can stop all flights and of course you don't arrest everyone who is stranded. Yeesh.

Siri

Banned
Italy just spiked from roughly one thousand to five thousand cases in 24 hrs. This is now a global emergency. No hyperbole here, but everyone now needs to prepare to get sick and to be without most services while everyone else gets sick. Hospital beds will soon be at capacity. I’m sorry, but this is what’s going to happen.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Italy just spiked from roughly one thousand to five thousand cases in 24 hrs. This is now a global emergency. No hyperbole here, but everyone now needs to prepare to get sick and to be without most services while everyone else gets sick. Hospital beds will soon be at capacity. I’m sorry, but this is what’s going to happen.

Last Wednesday they had just over 3,000 cases. Now they have just under 5,900. So I don't know where you get the numbers, but they're obviously wrong. Even if they were correct, which they are not, it would be a normal expected exponential development, which can still be contained, since it is very much regionally limited.

The numbers in China are falling.
The numbers in South Korea are falling.
Even the numbers in Iran are falling (which has nothing to say for now).

Most other figures do not see explosive growth and are largely based on the fact that test capacities are being expanded, sometimes even enormously.

A virus that will inevitably infect almost everyone in the next few months, which by the way is hardly possible, since between 60-70% of infected people would lead to the extinction of the virus, would need a much faster increase in infected people. I realize you're quite negative. But look on the bright side. You always have a one-third chance of not being infected. Nobody can take that away from you. So just be happy.

PS: Just to be clear. The numbers will rise very sharply in many countries over the next one to two weeks. But that's largely to be expected and not a sign that an unstoppable epedemic is about to hit some of these countries.

Last edited:
Jumped BY 1000 to 5000 NOT from 1000.

eot

Banned
They hit 1000 about a week ago

A 100-year-old man has recovered from the coronavirus

A 100-year-old man has recovered from the novel coronavirus and was discharged from hospital on Saturday, Chinese state news agency Xinhua reported Sunday.

According to Xinhua, the centenarian is the oldest known patient to recover from the virus to date.
The man was among the group of more than 80 coronavirus patients who were discharged from the branch of Hubei's Maternity and Child Health Care Hospital at the Optics Valley in Wuhan, the capital city of Hubei Province and the epicenter of the outbreak.
The man was born in February 1920 and just marked his 100th birthday, according to Xinhua.

this is good news

Tesseract

Banned

A 100-year-old man has recovered from the novel coronavirus and was discharged from hospital on Saturday, Chinese state news agency Xinhua reported Sunday.

According to Xinhua, the centenarian is the oldest known patient to recover from the virus to date.
The man was among the group of more than 80 coronavirus patients who were discharged from the branch of Hubei's Maternity and Child Health Care Hospital at the Optics Valley in Wuhan, the capital city of Hubei Province and the epicenter of the outbreak.
The man was born in February 1920 and just marked his 100th birthday, according to Xinhua.

this is good news

what a legend

Turnt

this is good news

Fuck. Now I‘m going to be really embarrassed if the coronavirus kills me when this old man managed to survive it.

Fuck. Now I‘m going to be really embarrassed if the coronavirus kills me when this old man managed to survive it.

This man had a better diet than most of us will ever have access to these days. Don't be ashamed, just blame it on all the tiger penises you did not get to eat, diet is important.

to be serious, it feels damn good to know nobody gave up on this man they took care of him he recovered, it is a good thing a hopeful thing.

Last edited:
Pope delivers prayers via video because of coronavirus concerns
From Livia Borghese and Hada Messia in Rome

Pope Francis has delivered the weekly Angelus prayer via video link because of concerns about coronavirus.
He began his address saying it was quite unusual for the Pope to be “locked away.”
“We do this so that the close concentration of people won’t spread the virus,” he said via video.

da popes back baby

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Pope delivers prayers via video because of coronavirus concerns
From Livia Borghese and Hada Messia in Rome

Pope Francis has delivered the weekly Angelus prayer via video link because of concerns about coronavirus.
He began his address saying it was quite unusual for the Pope to be “locked away.”
“We do this so that the close concentration of people won’t spread the virus,” he said via video.

da popes back baby
Or it's good quality deep fake. ;)

Or it's good quality deep fake. ;)
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
what a legend

jSPOzon.jpg

Well on the positives, you won't know about it, however, rest assured we will all pour scorn on you for being a lightweight here at GAF

'Fucking Turnt, killed by the flu? Would you believe it? '

'I know right? Utterly shameful'

Last edited:
So what are these people hoping to do? Have enough money to book into hotels indefinitely?

They'll receive help, obviously; from the country they are in or their homeland. It's not like it's unprecedented. It's not like they wouldn't take the citizens currently out of country into consideration, always.
Agreements would happen. Arrangements would be made.

How do you picture this going? "Well, fuck you, Bob. Go live on the streets."

Last edited:
This must be the 3rd ship they were watching.

Princess Cruises cancels LA journey after no-sail order

Princess Cruises has cancelled its Royal Princess cruise out of Los Angeles, after the CDC issued a “no-sail order” until one of the ship’s crew members has been tested for Novel Coronavirus, according to a Tweet from Princess Cruises.

According to the cruise line, one of the crew members, who previously served on Grand Princess, was transferred to Royal Princess 15 days ago.
More than 3,500 people aboard the Grand Princess have been stuck on that cruise ship for days, after their two-week journey was interrupted on its return leg Wednesday, when officials learned that a California man who'd traveled on that ship last month contracted coronavirus and died this week.

I'm looking at update numbers out there and I am puzzled. I am not willing to post suspect sources until I find updates in english.

But it seems Germany has already reached 930+ cases with no deaths? How high can that number go before it becomes suspect?

2 places are about to reach 1,000 mark

Sources showing Germany's new number had this right

Last edited:
Netherlands: Two patients died, 77 new patients, a total of 265 positively tested patients
Two patients with the new corona virus died today. Both had serious underlying medical problems. This is an 86-year-old man who was admitted to the Bernhoven Hospital in Uden and an 82-year-old man from the Zuyderland Medical Center in Sittard / Geleen. The source of infection of these patients is under investigation.

Since yesterday, 77 new patients have been reported to the RIVM National Institute for Public Health and the Environment National Institute for Public Health and the Environment. This brings the total number of positively tested patients to 265 of which 3 patients died. How many of these are from Noord-Brabant will follow.

Of the 265 patients, 144 have been abroad. The majority (131) of these patients have been in (Northern) Italy. In addition, 74 people were infected through a diagnosed patient. Of 47 people, it is still being investigated how they became infected.

The majority of patients reside in home insulation. 36 patients were (have been) admitted to the hospital. The GGD Municipal Health Service Municipal Health Service and contact investigation also start for all new patients .

sinnergy

I'm looking at update numbers out there and I am puzzled. I am not willing to post suspect sources until I find updates in english.

But it seems Germany has already reached 930+ cases with no deaths? How high can that number go before it becomes suspect?

2 places are about to reach 1,000 mark

Sources showing Germany's new number had this right

Awesome work from my country, what do you win when you enter the top 10 of the corona top 10??? 🤣

cryptoadam

Banned
they DO have this in Canada:

as long as you’ve worked enough hours you will qualify.

you get approx 55% of your pay or up to a max of $573 a week if you qualify.

Yes i know about these. This in the US is specific to corona. Im saying canada should cover additionally any sick time required for Corona.

Four more coronavirus deaths confirmed in Spain
From Laura Perez Maestro in Madrid

Health authorities in Spain have confirmed four more deaths from coronavirus, taking the country’s total to 17.

The deaths of three women, aged 92, 88 and 87, were confirmed by the Health Department for the Basque Country, while the Health Department for the Aragon region confirmed the death of an 85-year-old man.

The Spanish Health Minister, Salvador Illa, said at a press conference Sunday that “Spain is still in the containment phase.”
He also expressed his support to Italy and said “one region’s problem is all regions’ problems. One country’s problem is all countries’ problem.”

Germany is not sharing the magic dust

I think Spain added 64 new cases but can't find an english source for it

Staff member at a Washington care home tests positive

A member of staff at Aegis Living Marymoor in Redmond, Washington has tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The staff member was ill when they left to go home on February 28 and did not return to the facility, the facility told CNN in a statement. It also noted that the staff member has not worked in any other Aegis Living communities.

Redmond is a short distance from Kirkland, the center of the US coronavirus outbreak.

67 new cases

Last edited:
Americans test positive on Nile cruise
From Magdy Sama’an in Cairo

A group of American citizens has been quarantined after testing positive for coronavirus on an Egyptian Nile boat, the cruise company said.
The number of Americans infected on the cruise is unknown but a total of 19 foreigners were aboard the boat traveling from Aswan to Luxor, Extension Group said.

Sakura

Staff member at a Washington care home tests positive

A member of staff at Aegis Living Marymoor in Redmond, Washington has tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The staff member was ill when they left to go home on February 28 and did not return to the facility, the facility told CNN in a statement. It also noted that the staff member has not worked in any other Aegis Living communities.

Redmond is a short distance from Kirkland, the center of the US coronavirus outbreak.

67 new cases

Look at this shit. The UK has done 23,300 tests, and only has 273 confirmed cases.
Here in Japan, the country has done a whopping 7347 tests, and has 439 cases. Japan is really trying to hide how much of an outbreak we have here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom