• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh, I disagree. Considering the misinformation going around this is exactly the time when people should be picking apart sources. We can definitely do it with civility though and I'll keep that I'm mind going forward.

Sure discerning misinformation that buck stops with you. We can all use our own brain power to know when something sounds fishy, we don't always get there at the same time so it is best not to be triggered into a defensive mode so you can think clearly. But if someone is being attacked they are not going to stop and think most of the time.

I'm not telling people don't question shit, I'm saying you don't have to be an ass about it. We can be more supportive of each other that way. We don't have to agree on all points to clean the good info from the bad ones. When it comes to a deadly virus you really don't want to be wrong about the facts.

If we discuss it without getting into fights because of triggered rudeness we can clean all that stupid shit out and help people get to the facts.

That is rough choice to give someone I think. You go for testing, they tell you to isolate while you wait for results. You go to work for 2 shifts instead.

I think a lot of people living paycheck to paycheck are going to choose to go to work.

Last edited:

Pasedo

Man my 2 cents in here is that China needs to stop messing with wild life. Fair enough if in the past it was so they could eat and even then it was highly risky but there's no excuse now to keep this up. This action impacts us all and it's happened twice.

I've kinda gotten off the Fuck China train. I don't even go look for ADVChina videos to share anymore. I know people are angry at China and yup they do lie and will keep lying. But this is a global problem now. Be more mindful of how your local leaders are dealing with this closer to home.

Man my 2 cents in here is that China needs to stop messing with wild life. Fair enough if in the past it was so they could eat and even then it was highly risky but there's no excuse now to keep this up. This action impacts us all and it's happened twice.

This would have used domesticated animals as vector, especially if bats are involved which spread disease through saliva and bites and tend to live near rural regions.

Poultry is the most likely cause of animal-human disease transmission.

For some perspective;

Meat Consumption per capita;

India: 5.2kg per year
China: 52.4kg per year
US: 124.8kg per year

Wild animals don't even form 1% of any of these, and yes wild animal hunting is popular in the Us as well.

This explains why India is not prone to being the epicenter for animal-animal viral transmissions; similar population as China, 10x less meat going around. Whereas the Us was itself recently a major cause for a viral strain, helping greatly amplify the mexican derived h1n1 pig flu.

US coronavirus cases now at 442

Here's a breakdown state-by-state:
  1. Arizona: 5
  2. California: 81 (includes 1 death)
  3. Colorado: 8
  4. Washington, DC:1
  5. Florida: 11 (includes 2 deaths)
  6. Georgia: 7
  7. Hawaii: 1
  8. Illinois: 6
  9. Indiana: 1
  10. Kansas: 1
  11. Kentucky: 1
  12. Maryland: 3
  13. Massachusetts: 13
  14. Minnesota: 1
  15. Missouri: 1
  16. Nebraska: 1
  17. Nevada: 1
  18. New Hampshire: 2
  19. New Jersey: 4
  20. New York: 89
  21. North Carolina: 2
  22. Oklahoma: 1
  23. Oregon: 7
  24. Pennsylvania: 4
  25. Rhode Island: 3
  26. South Carolina: 2
  27. Tennessee: 1
  28. Texas: 8
  29. Utah: 1
  30. Virginia: 1
  31. Washington: 103 (includes 16 deaths)
  32. Wisconsin: 1
We still have a few more states guys.
note: Connecticut was removed from the list because both cases worked in CT but live in NY

Singapore reports eight new coronavirus cases, bringing total to 138
From Chermaine Lee and Akanksha Sharma in Hong Kong

Singapore recorded eight more novel coronavirus cases on Saturday raising the national tally to 138, according to the Ministry of Health.
The new cases included four men and two women who are Singapore citizens, as well as an Indonesian woman and an Italian man.

Singapore has been on the list very early, another place that seems to do well with the no deaths thing.
Warm hot summer like weather but still has cases.

Pasedo

This would have used domesticated animals as vector, especially if bats are involved which spread disease through saliva and bites and tend to live near rural regions.

Poultry is the most likely cause of animal-human disease transmission.

For some perspective;

Meat Consumption per capita;

India: 5.2kg per year
China: 52.4kg per year
US: 124.8kg per year

Wild animals don't even form 1% of any of these, and yes wild animal hunting is popular in the Us as well.

This explains why India is not prone to being the epicenter for animal-animal viral transmissions; similar population as China, 10x less meat going around. Whereas the Us was itself recently a major cause for a viral strain, helping greatly amplify the mexican derived h1n1 pig flu.
I'm no expert but from what I've seen online it's from handling of bat human consumption or getting it from handling for human consumption of a second carrier. In the case of Corona they say the pangolins. We should just not handle these animals for human consumption as the risk of carrying disease is obviously higher. Other types of wild life is probably lower risk but seriously why eat bat and have it around other food sources.

Pasedo

I've kinda gotten off the Fuck China train. I don't even go look for ADVChina videos to share anymore. I know people are angry at China and yup they do lie and will keep lying. But this is a global problem now. Be more mindful of how your local leaders are dealing with this closer to home.
Its a global problem because of the actions of one country. Although we need to just deal with this now I also think world governments need to enforce the ceasing of high risk wild life animal consumption of not just in China but any other country who practice. This. Prevention is always the best solution.

Doesn't MSNBC still control the BNO Twitter account? They assigned a 24 hour team to it in 2009 (source: The Guardian).

Since they (BNO) were asking for patreon and paypal donation last few weeks I did not think they had a major player like that connected to them.

But so far I am just using BNOdesk not the main news BNO
Desk just does virus reports. Much slower lately but they are not tweeting unrelated stuff.

Not much politics in just posting South Koran now reports this number. CNN is a bit harder since US go case and Pence is frontline.
I don't like politics in this, too messy.

Last edited:
Its a global problem because of the actions of one country. Although we need to just deal with this now I also think world governments need to enforce the ceasing of high risk wild life animal consumption of not just in China but any other country who practice. This. Prevention is always the best solution.

China is a really fucked up place no doubt about it. They build maga ghost cities for investments that fall apart in a few years. The buildings just crumble into dust no one lives in them. Huge waste of resources.

Just like this hotel building that just fell down while hosting quarantines

I think we need to bring up every third word thinking nations up to a higher health thinking if we are to avoid this again. Not just China.
China is kinda weird due to money they have many first world cities, but many old third world habits that need to die out. Bringing up the standards have been too slow. I'm not saying you should not be mad about it. I was mad, now my focus is on my town since I am one of those with health issues that put me at risk.

Pasedo

China is a really fucked up place no doubt about it. They build maga ghost cities for investments that fall apart in a few years. The buildings just crumble into dust no one lives in them. Huge waste of resources.

Just like this hotel building that just fell down while hosting quarantines

I think we need to bring up every third word thinking nations up to a higher health thinking if we are to avoid this again. Not just China.
China is kinda weird due to money they have many first world cities, but many old third world habits that need to die out. Bringing up the standards have been too slow. I'm not saying you should not be mad about it. I was mad, now my focus is on my town since I am one of those with health issues that put me at risk.
Yeh I saw that collapse. It's created a domino effect that exposes how weak our systems are.

More info for this update with some details

First presumptive positive case of coronavirus in Missouri

The first presumptive positive case of novel coronavirus has been identified in the state of Missouri, according to officials.

The patient is a woman in her 20s who recently traveled to Italy.

She lives in St. Louis County and went to a local medical provider with a fever and respiratory issues, officials said.

The woman is now in isolation at home with her family.

Of the 26 people who have been tested in the state, only one case has been presumptive positive. Three additional tests are in progress.

Presumptive positive is a term that refers to cases which have tested positive in a public health laboratory but are pending confirmation from the CDC. Confirmed cases have received positive results from the CDC.

cryptoadam

Banned
Its ok i gwt where he is coming from so i posted another link for him.

But true i see a lot of attacks lately and i dont get it.

Maybe the standards and expectations are high in here dont know.

But hey lets just continue as before.

I think its because this thing is becoming real and its just the flu bro is looking less and less like a legitimate excuse. When it was stuck in China and on a cruise ship it was easy to dismiss. Now that its breaking out in the US you can't really anymore.

The more real its getting, the more people want to cling onto hope that its just the flu bro. If they say it enough times they might convince themselves that its actually true.

I don't think society is going to end, and if you aren't 50 or above then most likely you won't be in any trouble. But old people are people too and this is going to have huge economic repercussions.

I mean even if you reverse the infections, whats the endgame? All it takes is one infected person to start it all over again. Are we going to have to ride out quarntines and self isolations until a vaccine comes out, which at best is probably 6 months away but lets be honest its more like a year if we are lucky possibly longer.

Westerners don't like shitty asses.

Actually from my understanding TP isn't a big thing in China ?? I remember reading/hearing that a lot of public places don't even have TP at them.

LOL to be clear I've only seen this on ADVChina in many videos but it turns out if you put free toilet paper in public restrooms the old women will come and take them all home. So they use them and steal them so often you will not find them.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Eh, I disagree. Considering the misinformation going around this is exactly the time when people should be picking apart sources. We can definitely do it with civility though and I'll keep that in mind going forward.
I am more than happy to cross reference the news for credibility but the fact is i am doing this from my phone where simple typing is already an issue.
I understand some posts are shit maybe thats where i get the spaming blame.

And i agree we have to be mindfull what we share but again i would ask everyone when in doubt to do some detective work or ask back for a different source of that news.

Given the amount of news by the minute i am guilty of just looking at the content and not the source but again i am doing this from my phone i am not sitting at the desk with 2 screens and 10 tabs open and do basic journalism.

Looks like maybe Wuhan style lockdowns?

In Italy? Yeah maybe they will get very strict about it.
To be honest I don't want this to be come a trend I can see some States in the US trying this lockdown. Might not even be the State but a City Mayor looking things down.

That is why they call State of Emergencies early so they can have powers that might allow for things like that.

I wish people would just be honorable and follow the rules without having rules forced on them.

Last edited:
South Korea has been doing a great job but numbers are still coming in.
I think someoneelse will overtake them. Could be Iran if they report cases.

mw62iQm.png

Hotspurr

Banned
This dumbass is going to get him and his entire administration sick:

Stay home and marinade under a tanning bed you fat prick.

Reading some insane stories lately, only a matter of time before someone realizes that hospital beds will not be available soon and take the risk of intentionally contracting the illness and gaining immunity before they run out of hospital space. Yikes.

Xyrmellon

I work at a casual dining chain in Florida and this week it's been busy as shit and we're up in sales. No one around here is taking it very seriously yet. Even though we've had deaths the state gov hasn't issued any guidance regarding the outbreak. Gov. Desantis is a big Trump guy so he appears to be following the federal lead. In Daytona, Bike Week started this weekend that draws 500,000 people. Who knows I, might already have it anyway.

Liberty4all

Banned

They need to do this in Canada.

they DO have this in Canada:

as long as you’ve worked enough hours you will qualify.

The information below should be used as a guideline. We encourage you to apply for benefits as soon as possible and let a Service Canada agent determine if you're eligible.

You need to demonstrate that:

• you're unable to work for medical reasons
  • your regular weekly earnings from work have decreased by more than 40% for at least one week
  • you accumulated 600 insured hours* of work in the 52 weeks before the start of your claim or since the start of your last claim, whichever is shorter
*As an example, 600 hours are equivalent to 20 weeks of work at 30 hours a week.

While you’re receiving sickness benefits, you must remain available for work if it weren’t for your medical condition.

you get approx 55% of your pay or up to a max of $573 a week if you qualify.

Last edited:
The news cycle has changed all sources for numbers are very distracted with the hotel rescue in China. So that is the not update until all are rescued.

And no China did not plan for the building to fall down so they could say, "See buildings are unsafe to stay in all day we should forget this quarantine routine and go back to work as normal."

They should seriously let some of them get back to work though or they will have other problems.

nush

Westerners don't like shitty asses.

Actually from my understanding TP isn't a big thing in China ?? I remember reading/hearing that a lot of public places don't even have TP at them.

The reason TP is not in public places in China is because people will steal it.

Jtibh

Banned
The reason TP is not in public places in China is because people will steal it.

At the end we will learn all about the history of toilet paper and how its used in different cultures.
This shit just wont go away on its own.
No pun intended.

Last edited:

Liberty4all

Banned

Chief Medical Officer British Columbia breaks down in tears ON THE AIR (30 seconds in but worth watching from start for background info)

”Fatigue and Stress”

or does she know something horrifying she’s not allowed to talk about?

Last edited:
A third of residents in South Korean apartment block contract coronavirus
From CNN’s Yoonjung Seo in Seoul

A South Korean apartment complex is under lockdown after one third of its residents became infected with the novel coronavirus in the city of Daegu, according to the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC).
Of the 140 residents in the two apartment buildings, 94 are members of the Shincheonji religious group, Daegu Mayor Kwon Young-jin said on Saturday. The apartment complex is to be under quarantine, he added.
So far, 46 residents have been confirmed to have the virus, 80 have tested negative and the remaining 14 are being tested, KCDC said.

They need to study why some of thes quarantine lockdowns are failing. Italy might be repeating some of this.
Then again that Church in South Korea seems to have a no fucks given attitude about the whole thing. Maybe that is part of the fail.

sinnergy

Chief Medical Officer British Columbia breaks down in tears ON THE AIR.

”Fatigue and Stress”

or does she know something horrifying she’s not allowed to talk about?

I bet they do, but it has became a war of math. The world has slacked and didn’t prepare for the almost 3 months, you could see how it went in China.

Old people not worth saving from 50 and up , will be the first who will be given up. Because all our health care systems will get overloaded. You see this in both China and Italy.

Healthy and young people and government will get IC beds. Because that’s needed to not let countries collapse ! I wish everybody the best in these times!

Italy has just made this decision.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
They should have just shut down traffic to contain it when it first hit, but everyone relies on China so much nobody could afford it.

Hopefully companies start to see the need to diversify, or the next one is going to be even worse.

They should have just shut down traffic to contain it when it first hit, but everyone relies on China so much nobody could afford it.

Hopefully companies start to see the need to diversify, or the next one is going to be even worse.

This is very true and we still can't afford for China to be out sick from work. Or the rest of the world out sick from work.

There is a huge cost to all of this.

sinnergy

This is very true and we still can't afford for China to be out sick from work. Or the rest of the world out sick from work.

There is a huge cost to all of this.
We can afford it easily.. there is enough money with the super rich and besides that you can trade services like the old days.

But people are not willing to give up things ;) that’s something different .

It’s time to help each other .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom