• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
good points from Dr. Campbell

Look at this shit. The UK has done 23,300 tests, and only has 273 confirmed cases.
Here in Japan, the country has done a whopping 7347 tests, and has 439 cases. Japan is really trying to hide how much of an outbreak we have here.

They will be forced to test at some point, can't ignore this thing for that long. Might be waiting until it is too late to save the Olympic games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Look at this shit. The UK has done 23,300 tests, and only has 273 confirmed cases.
Here in Japan, the country has done a whopping 7347 tests, and has 439 cases. Japan is really trying to hide how much of an outbreak we have here.

Not sure what the UK's criteria has been, but Japan has only been testing people with more serious symptoms after talking with a doctor and being suspected of possibly having the Coronavirus, so that's likely to lead to a higher number of positives to number of people tested.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kadayi

Banned

67 more cases in the UK

From the beginning of the month

35, 40 (+5), 51 (+11), 85 (+34), 115 (+30), 163 (+48), 206 (+63), 273 (+67)

I expect the UK to hit 340 - 360 cases tomorrow at a guestimate, with maybe hitting 1000 by Friday assuming growth rate is unchecked.

Last edited:
ZNsDNvl.png

we need turn this around

US surgeon general says 75,000 coronavirus tests are available right now for the public
From CNN Health's Jacqueline Howard

Currently, there are about 75,000 coronavirus tests available for the American public, US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union” today.
"By early next week – tomorrow – we should have over 2 million tests available. By the end of the week, through partnerships with private industry, over 4 million tests available," Adams said. "But the most important number to the American people is one. They want to know if I go in, can I get a test? And the one thing that I’ve heard – I’ve been to Georgia, I’ve been to Georgia, I’ve been to Connecticut in the past week – is that no public health doctor who was asked for a test has not been able to get a test. So people should talk to their healthcare providers."

good good

betrayal

Banned
What's the logic behind this?

I guess maybe from the perspective of a lack of viable hosts to infect? Still, you're embracing inevitable fatalities going down that route.

Exactly. Of course it depends on the duration of immunity after an infection. However, it currently looks as if this is somewhere between several months and years. And of course this would not be a desirable scenario, especially for older people and people with pre-existing conditions.

It should not be forgotten, of course, that two-thirds of the spread at the current spreading speed would take several years and the virus will generally be more regionally limited in its activity (due to the countermeasures), for example in major cities and highly frequented regions.
This long period of time alone will result in the availability of vaccines and several drugs. The first of these are already available and one is even already approved and used in China. In the course of 1-2 months there will certainly be others that are also approved in the vast majority of countries.

Last edited:

The more I think about this the less sense it makes.
What's the difference between such an event and a school or university? Or the metro? Train station?
What about the difference between a football game attendance and a nightclub, in terms of personal space and fluids flying around?

Can't help but hope the pandemic really hurts Europe. Maybe this is the wake-up call our countries need in order to get their shit together. Muh freedoms should not be in this conversation, especially when we saw certain Asian countries doing it right.

Sakura

Not sure what the UK's criteria has been, but Japan has only been testing people with more serious symptoms after talking with a doctor and being suspected of possibly having the Coronavirus, so that's likely to lead to a higher number of positives to number of people tested.
OK so in my prefecture, there has been 3 cases.
The first case had symptoms on Feb 13th, so he was infected before that. So coronavirus has been in the prefecture for more than 3 weeks.
There is no indication that they are doing any kind of contact tracing or anything.
They don't know where case 1 got the disease. Case 1 has no recent history of travelling overseas. He does not use public transit. He is unemployed.
They only mention having tested his wife, and child. They don't say whether they tested the people who worked at the two different health facilities he visited with symptoms.

Case 2 is the wife of case 1, so it is obvious where she got it from.
She had symptoms starting the 17th, fever in the 37s on the 18th, and she went to work via taxi on the 19th. The next day CT scans revealed she had pneumonia.
They don't bother to mention whether they tested any of her co-workers. They won't say what her job is, just that she is a part-timer, so it is probably customer service or something. She literally worked, the day before it was discovered she had pneumonia, in the middle of the 6th largest city in Japan, but it's ok I guess because it says she was wearing a mask.

Case 3 is a taxi driver (not the same taxi driver that drove case 2).
It is unknown where he got the disease. No history of travel overseas, and no history of contact with other infected people (you aren't testing people so no duh).
The guy started having symptoms on the 19th. He ended up going to a hospital on the 25th, because he had a fever in the 38s, cough, and difficulty breathing. But they didn't even fucking bother testing him until March 1st.
They make a point of mentioning how they tested the medical staff who came into contact with him, which is why I'm suspect of the fact they don't mention any of that for the first two case.

In any case, the disease has been in the prefecture for over 3 weeks, they were pretty slow in testing the people who are confirmed cases, and they don't seem to be doing much at all in regards to contact tracing, so I really think there are actually a lot more cases, and they just don't want to test, or tell us. Hopefully it doesn't end up being a big deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if this blows up in their faces.

The more I think about this the less sense it makes.
What's the difference between such an event and a school or university? Or the metro? Train station?
What about the difference between a football game attendance and a nightclub, in terms of personal space and fluids flying around?

Can't help but hope the pandemic really hurts Europe. Maybe this is the wake-up call our countries need in order to get their shit together. Muh freedoms should not be in this conversation, especially when we saw certain Asian countries doing it right.

I think everyone is a bit confused right now they really don't know what to do. More and more it is trending towards lockdowns and cancelled public events. I am overwhelmed with closings and such I don't post them all. example

US surgeon general: Coronavirus response is "shifting into a mitigation phase"
From CNN Health's Jacqueline Howard

As the novel coronavirus spreads in the United States, the nation's response to the outbreak has moved from a containment phase to a mitigation phase, US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union” today.

"Initially, we had a posture of containment so that we could give people time to prepare for where we are right now. We’re shifting into a mitigation phase, which means that we’re helping communities understand you’re going to see more cases. Unfortunately, you’re going to see more deaths but that doesn’t mean that we should panic," Adams said.

Diamond Grand Princess passengers to be transferred to military installations

Passengers on the Grand Princess cruise ship will be transferred to federal military installations for medical screening, novel coronavirus testing and a 14-day quarantine, after the ship docks temporarily in a non-passenger port in San Francisco Bay tomorrow, according to the US Department of Health and Human Services.

Nearly 1,000 passengers who are California residents will complete the mandatory quarantine at Travis Air Force Base and Miramar Naval Air Station, and residents of other states will complete the mandatory quarantine at Joint Base San Antonio Lackland in Texas or Dobbins Air Force Base in Georgia, the Department of Health and Human Services says.

Additionally, the Department of State is working closely with the home countries of several hundred passengers to arrange for repatriation to their home countries.

Waiting for the CNN dummy to fix the typo before I can link to the posted report.

New York confirms 16 new coronavirus cases
From CNN's Elizabeth Joseph

Sixteen new cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in New York, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced this morning.
This update brings the total number of state-wide cases to 105.
Here is the breakdown of cases across the state:
  • Westchester: 82
  • NYC: 12
  • Nassau: 5
  • Rockland: 2
  • Saratoga: 2
  • Suffolk: 1
  • Ulster: 1

Parents were goin on a cruise today. Cruise got cancelled this morning.
So i guess businesses are stepping up their action

I don't really think it was a business action. CDC just shut down a 3rd ship in L.A. not allowing it to go out. So far today 2 countries have banned Cruises Ships from coming to shore. So they are being forced to stop right now.

Alternative

Neo Member
I was experimenting with the little ML I know in order to estimate the number of infections in the coming days in the Netherlands. The estimates have been pretty spot on for the last two days

TivtT7v.png

betrayal

Banned
How do you know who has or doesn’t have a condition

According to the thread, you don't have it, because an infection would kill you on the spot with a 100% chance.
However, if you were to survive somehow, you would be completely paralyzed, your organs would implode, you would be impotent, and you would have hellish pain every day for which there is no cure.

According to the thread, you don't have it, because an infection would kill you on the spot with a 100% chance.
However, if you were to survive somehow, you would be completely paralyzed, your organs would implode, you would be impotent, and you would have hellish pain every day for which there is no cure.

Bullshit, I like you here I think you balance things out, I've been trying to be patient with you but stop being a baby you are not helping.

Last edited:

sinnergy

I was experimenting with the little ML I know in order to estimate the number of infections in the coming days in the Netherlands. The estimates have been pretty spot on for the last two days

TivtT7v.png
Nice job! I live in Twente.
I did crude math for Europe if this trend continues we could have 400,000 cases in 18 days. Can you do one for Europe?

Yesterday Europe had about 7000 cases.

today I did last of my prepare shopping, got toilet paper, canned foods , sausages, smeerkaas , water, cookies, rice, potatoes , condensed milk (stays longer eatable, don’t know correct english name) pancake mix, and some other stuff, for me and my family,you never know , if not needed, most is stuff we eat anyway.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned

Chief Medical Officer British Columbia breaks down in tears ON THE AIR (30 seconds in but worth watching from start for background info)

”Fatigue and Stress”

or does she know something horrifying she’s not allowed to talk about?

Its only a matter of time before my sister and my wife will collapse under the pressure.
Both nurses. My wife in trauma where her unit has the only isolatin rooms and negative pressure rooms. That they only have 2.

Besides obvious shitposting now and then I don't want to "balance things out". I only write what corresponds most closely to reason, common sense and facts.

I don't really think you have proven to be an agent of good faith in here. You pick and choose your numbers, so they fit your outlook. That is why I say you balance things out. It is fine you are welcome to your opinion.

As far as reason, common sense and facts. Yeah right try harder. I think you could be very helpful in here if you want to be but you enjoy yourself too much.

We can joke in here, go for it we need a laugh. But the misinformation does not help anyone. Don't make bullshit claims that according to this thread such and such. You could be more helpful on here you know?

Jtibh

Banned
I think everyone is a bit confused right now they really don't know what to do. More and more it is trending towards lockdowns and cancelled public events. I am overwhelmed with closings and such I don't post them all. example

I see closings of events even in countries where they have only 2 cases.
Hungary is closing all public events on their march 15th celebration day.

This is just another case of over reacting and will just piss people off.

I see closings of events even in countries where they have only 2 cases.
Hungary is closing all public events on their march 15th celebration day.

This is just another case of over reacting and will just piss people off.

It is not a bad thing to act first, being proactive instead of reactive to this. I think it is fine for countries to act before they have cases.
But yes, anything you do will piss someone off. Allow the events people get sick they sue or vote you out of office. This is a lose, lose for leadership right now.

If you act first and no one gets sick (because you did something) no one thinks you saved them they just think you messed with their normal life.

If you allow events and people start dying a few weeks later, they are going to say you did nothing to prevent deaths.

I don't see a win here.

Jtibh

Banned
Who
I don't really think you have proven to be an agent of good faith in here. You pick and choose your numbers, so they fit your outlook. That is why I say you balance things out. It is fine you are welcome to your opinion.

As far as reason, common sense and facts. Yeah right try harder. I think you could be very helpful in here if you want to be but you enjoy yourself too much.

We can joke in here, go for it we need a laugh. But the misinformation does not help anyone. Don't make bullshit claims that according to this thread such and such. You could be more helpful on here you know?
Who's this for?

Alternative

Neo Member
Nice job! I live in Twente.
I did crude math for Europe if this trend continues we could have 400,000 cases in 18 days. Can you do one for Europe?

Yesterday Europe had about 7000 cases.

today I did last of my prepare shopping, got toilet paper, canned foods , sausages, smeerkaas , water, cookies, rice, potatoes , condensed milk (stays longer eatable, don’t know correct english name) pancake mix, and some other stuff, for me and my family,you never know , if not needed, most is stuff we eat anyway.

I am not confident we can extract something too precise for Europe because every country reports and handles the situation on its own. This makes getting precise data pretty iffy. Also estimating becomes more and more difficult the further you go.

With all that said here is something I compiled with the data I managed to dig up.

8O8Xs8W.png

Jtibh

Banned
I
It is not a bad thing to act first, being proactive instead of reactive to this. I think it is fine for countries to act before they have cases.
But yes, anything you do will piss someone off. Allow the events people get sick they sue or vote you out of office. This is a lose, lose for leadership right now.

If you act first and no one gets sick (because you did something) no one thinks you saved them they just think you messed with their normal life.

If you allow events and people start dying a few weeks later, they are going to say you did nothing to prevent deaths.

I don't see a win here.
I Guess what i ment with this is that here in canada there are no proactive measures though we have lots of cases and in other countries where there is maybe 2 they go to the extreme and almost seems they just follow the trend.

Not to say its wrong but just adds to the toilet paper hysteria and people later when its realy getting serious will maybe not go for it anymore ,claiming crying wolf too many times.

Jtibh

Banned
This mornings summery.

• New York State confirms 16 new cases bringing total north of 100
  • 16 million Italians wake up under quarantine
  • Pope Francis cancels Sunday address
  • Dr. Fauci warns community spread is getting out of control.
  • 'Grand Princess' to dock in Oakland on Monday
  • Saudi Arabia quarantines province
  • Spain death toll hits 17, 600+ cases
  • Cuomo says he wants to avoid closing NYC schools, transit if possible
  • Iran official death toll hits 194
  • Daegu Mayor says outbreak may be slowing as number of new cases falls

Oh right go to Egypt, make Germany's numbers all weird and shit

I dunno about you guys but this whole thing has felt like an episode of The Twilight Zone

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Are Italians having some mad orgies or something
Oh, I guess some of them are, all right.

not sure how well this will work, they had shutdowns early on but things still blew up on them

What people outside Italy may not know is that a draft of the Prime Minister’s decree was leaked to the press hours before the final text was approved. So people visiting the newly quarantined areas flocked to train stations to get back home before the decree went fully operational. We’ll see the results soon enough, if any.

In the end, though, even more provinces than initially decreed have been quarantined. This decree is going to be valid until April 3rd. That’s 10 days from Easter. If the spread of the virus doesn’t sharply decreased by then, we could see actual riots and very irresponsible behavior.

What people outside Italy may not know is that a draft of the Prime Minister’s decree was leaked to the press hours before the final text was approved. So people visiting the newly quarantined areas flocked to train stations to get back home before the decree went fully operational. We’ll see the results soon enough, if any.

In the end, though, even more provinces than initially decreed have been quarantined. This decree is going to be valid until April 3rd. That’s 10 days from Easter. If the spread of the virus doesn’t sharply decreased by then, we could see actual riots and very irresponsible behavior.

Yeah BNO was posting the draft hours before I even posted BNO's tweets about it. It is like the head start Wuhan had I guess so people rushed out.

Hey Wuhan did decrease after a while. Numbers are way down if China is to be believed so it is worth a shot in Italy.

eot

Banned
I am not confident we can extract something too precise for Europe because every country reports and handles the situation on its own. This makes getting precise data pretty iffy. Also estimating becomes more and more difficult the further you go.

With all that said here is something I compiled with the data I managed to dig up.

8O8Xs8W.png
Fits like this aren't super helpful honestly, especially when you're using a scale where it's impossible to tell how well it fits the data. What's the RMS error on the fits?

Generally fits are useful when you have an underlying model that you think describes some process, then collect data and tune your free parameters (ideally as few as possible) to see if you can reproduce that data. If you fit using a function you have no a priori reason to think describes the data, then it has no predictive power. In fact, there are infinite ways to perfectly fit any dataset.

Jtibh

Banned

Where there any locals who escaped the lockdown?
Like in china?
So they would not be locked in with the infected ones?

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I

I Guess what i ment with this is that here in canada there are no proactive measures though we have lots of cases and in other countries where there is maybe 2 they go to the extreme and almost seems they just follow the trend.

Not to say its wrong but just adds to the toilet paper hysteria and people later when its realy getting serious will maybe not go for it anymore ,claiming crying wolf too many times.

There's no crying wolf with this virus.
Taking drastic action early on is by far the best measure.
The countries that take their time are just delaying the inevitable, or worse.

Looking at the numbers in Warner areas, there is still community spread, but it seems slower. It might be limited to close contact indoors. The US and Canada need to take drastic action now. Curb the spread of the virus now, and we might have a shot of containing it in the Summer.
If we keep on our current path, we'll be too far gone by Summer.

First coronavirus case in Memphis-area announced
From CNN's Melissa Alonso

The first case of the novel coronavirus in the Memphis area was announced today by Shelby County Mayor Lee Harris. This is the second case confirmed in Tennessee.

Shelby County Health Department officials said the individual "traveled out of state recently," but would not provide additional details.

The individual tested positive for coronavirus yesterday and the specimen will now be tested by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, according to state health officials. This presumptive positive case comes a few days after the first case of coronavirus was identified in Williamson County.

"We're taking this situation very seriously," Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom