• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnergy

I am not confident we can extract something too precise for Europe because every country reports and handles the situation on its own. This makes getting precise data pretty iffy. Also estimating becomes more and more difficult the further you go.

With all that said here is something I compiled with the data I managed to dig up.

8O8Xs8W.png
Thanks dude! Don’t know if I want to laugh or cry ..
At least it a lot lower than my crude math 👍🏻

sinnergy

Fits like this aren't super helpful honestly, especially when you're using a scale where it's impossible to tell how well it fits the data. What's the RMS error on the fits?

Generally fits are useful when you have an underlying model that you think describes some process, then collect data and tune your free parameters (ideally as few as possible) to see if you can reproduce that data. If you fit using a function you have no a priori reason to think describes the data, then it has no predictive power. In fact, there are infinite ways to perfectly fit any dataset.
Just let him , its a experiment to see if this holds up.

US surgeon general: Coronavirus response is "shifting into a mitigation phase"
From CNN Health's Jacqueline Howard

As the novel coronavirus spreads in the United States, the nation's response to the outbreak has moved from a containment phase to a mitigation phase, US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams told CNN's Jake Tapper on "State of the Union” today.

Which is stupid, US didn't even try to contain the virus. If they do, they would be putting lockdown city and ban all international travel.

Which is stupid, US didn't even try to contain the virus. If they do, they would be putting lockdown city and ban all international travel.

that is how politics talk, it just sounds like they did something. To be honest they could not have lockeddown any US town or city without cases. They can talk and spin all they want but test and take care of people is all I ask.

sinnergy

Because if you do the math it won’t help ... their gonna make some really heavy decisions in the coming weeks about who gets care ... all these measures are about reliving pressure on the health care system , if you test less you have less cases now ...

Thats bad news.

the breakdown of the area that tweet is talking about

Lombardy data recorded on 8 March:
• 4189 infected (+769)
• 2217 hospitalized (+556)
• 399 in intensive care (+40)
• 257 deaths (+113)
- 550 healed (+26)

It is acting like early Hubei

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Because if you do the math it won’t help ... their gonna make some really heavy decisions in the coming weeks about who gets care ... all these measures are about reliving pressure on the health care system , if you test less you have less cases now ...

That would be a horrible outcome for a 3rd world country, let alone the greatest country in the world.
We're just going to let a bunch of people die without even having given it a shot? It would be the biggest failure in modern history if the US took this route.

Jtibh

Banned

• 4189 infected (+769)
• 257 deaths (+113)
- 550 healed (+26)

It is acting like Hubei
It does.

Wonder if age of population and bad health such as smoking is rhe reason for the high numbers

BREAKING: Italy reports 1,492 new cases of coronavirus and 133 new deaths, raising total to 7,375 cases and 366 dead

:messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

• 4189 infected (+769)
• 257 deaths (+113)
- 550 healed (+26)

It is acting like Hubei

Way worse.

They had like 20,000 infected before we started seeing death counts in the hundreds. Right now there is a CFR of 6.1% in Italy, and that is using no lag, total cases. The CFR of total cases/deaths in China/Wuhan usually hovered around 2.1/3 depending on the day.

Assuming the new cases die in another week or two.. Italy is getting worse before it gets better.

Italy is one of the oldest countries in the world population wise, so this virus is almost purpose driven to drive them extinct.

and another one...

Crew members on Florida cruise ship tested for coronavirus
From CNN’s Rosa Flores

The Regal Princess is currently being held off the Florida coast as crew members, who previously served aboard the Grand Princess, are tested for novel coronavirus, according to Broward County. The crew members are being tested at the request of the Centers for Disease Control.

The US Coast Guard (USCG) told CNN they were notified of a no sail order for the Regal Princess by the Department of Health and Human Services and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. A USCG crew delivered coronavirus test kits to the ship this morning.

The Regal Princess’ captain told passengers aboard the ship that they would await results of the test before docking.

Last edited:

Doczu

Holy shit Italy got hit hard. Germany is gaining tracktion, France just got ahed of the Germies.
Ma , we have but 8 cases in Poland, but looking how this is always explodinf after a short time period, we will go into the hundreds soon 😐

cryptoadam

Banned
I

I Guess what i ment with this is that here in canada there are no proactive measures though we have lots of cases and in other countries where there is maybe 2 they go to the extreme and almost seems they just follow the trend.

Not to say its wrong but just adds to the toilet paper hysteria and people later when its realy getting serious will maybe not go for it anymore ,claiming crying wolf too many times.

Somehow we are still "low"

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has assessed the public health risk associated with COVID-19 as low for Canada. Public health risk is continually reassessed as new information becomes available.

Province or territoryConfirmed cases
Ontario28
British Columbia27
Quebec2

But we only have a population of 35 million. BC has 5 million people with 27 cases. The US has a population of 350 million or so, so its as if we were really at 570 cases if we were to compare to the US. (approx).

Trudeau doesn't seem like he is doing anything here. The attitude is to laissez faire. And I don't know about these Quebec numbers. I just don't see why we are sitting at 2 (I actually think its 3), doesn't compute to me. I don't know maybe Poutine, Pepsi, and French keep the virus away. Or probably our pot holes and constant construction.

Italy overtakes South Korea in cases

gPQEJEK.png

Look at IRAN's recovered numbers. I want to slap someone for making it look so stupid.

Last edited:
that is how politics talk, it just sounds like they did something. To be honest they could not have lockeddown any US town or city without cases. They can talk and spin all they want but test and take care of people is all I ask.
They didn't lock down city when it have case either. They didn't prevent flight or screen from italy or korea either. If they had lockdown, it won;t have spread... simple as that.

Reverend of US church tested positive for coronavirus
From CNN's Raymond Arke

Rev. Timothy A. R. Cole, the rector of Christ Church Georgetown in Washington, D.C., tested positive for the coronavirus, according to Rev. Crystal Hardin, assistant to the rector.

The DC Department of Health recommended a temporary pause of services at the church so the church canceled services for Sunday, the first cancellation of Sunday services in a 150 years, Hardin said.

This is not the person you want to be positive

Let's look down memory road for a moment..

13,950 infected. Up more than 2,000 cases from yesterday. 304 deaths. 253 recovered. That's a really bad number.

304 deaths at this point off of 13950. Italy is at 366 out of 7375. Close to 2x as bad as the Wuhan outbreak.

What it is looking like so far for early Tuesday

OTHER PLACESCasesDeathsNotesLinks
Diamond Princess691435 serious, 10 recoveredSource
South Korea977116 critical, 22 recoveredSource
Japan160*17 serious, 23 recoveredSource
Singapore9007 critical, 49 recoveredSource
Hong Kong8124 critical, 2 serious, 12 recoveredSource
Italy231723 serious, 1 recoveredSource
Thailand3702 serious, 15 recoveredSource
United States5306 recoveredSource
Iran6115Source
Taiwan3115 recoveredSource
Malaysia22017 recoveredSource
Australia22011 recoveredSource
Germany16014 recoveredSource
Vietnam16016 recoveredSource
UAE1302 serious, 3 recoveredSource
France12111 recoveredSource
Macau1005 recoveredSource
United Kingdom1308 recoveredSource
Canada1103 recoveredSource
Philippines312 recoveredSource
India303 recoveredSource
Kuwait80Source
Russia202 recoveredSource
Spain302 recoveredSource
Oman20Source
Nepal101 recoveredSource
Cambodia101 recoveredSource
Sri Lanka101 recoveredSource
Finland101 recoveredSource
Sweden10Source
Belgium101 recoveredSource
Egypt101 recoveredSource
Israel20Source
Lebanon10Source
Bahrain80Source
Afghanistan10Source
Iraq10Source
TOTAL2,5884390 serious/critical

Remember these days?

Numbers are going up but very slowly, much slower than I thought they would. I guess this will be under control very fast outside of China.

Would you like to take this back?

my State after 2 NY cases who works here.

Connecticut confirms its first case of coronavirus
From CNN's Elizabeth Joseph

The first confirmed case of coronavirus in Connecticut has been announced by the state’s department of health.
Twenty-nine individuals have tested negative, and eight test results are pending, the state government posted this afternoon.

A New York resident with ties to Connecticut has been confirmed with COVID-19 – that person is included in the New York state total.

well I knew it was coming

2 more coronavirus cases confirmed in New Jersey
From CNN's Elizabeth Joseph

Two additional cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed in New Jersey, the state’s department of health posted today, bringing the state-wide total to six.
Thirty-one individuals have tested negative and there are 27 persons under investigation, the state said.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
A 100-year-old man has recovered from the coronavirus

A 100-year-old man has recovered from the novel coronavirus and was discharged from hospital on Saturday, Chinese state news agency Xinhua reported Sunday.

According to Xinhua, the centenarian is the oldest known patient to recover from the virus to date.
The man was among the group of more than 80 coronavirus patients who were discharged from the branch of Hubei's Maternity and Child Health Care Hospital at the Optics Valley in Wuhan, the capital city of Hubei Province and the epicenter of the outbreak.
The man was born in February 1920 and just marked his 100th birthday, according to Xinhua.

this is good news
I wanna know what that old dude is eating. Solid bricks and gunpowder maybe 😆 Good on him. I hope more good stories surface.

Let's look down memory road for a moment..

304 deaths at this point off of 13950. Italy is at 366 out of 7375. Close to 2x as bad as the Wuhan outbreak.

Remember these days?

Would you like to take this back?

Might not be a good idea to do that, we had no way of knowing so don't be dishing out crow for any of this bro

Jtibh

Banned
Somehow we are still "low"

The Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) has assessed the public health risk associated with COVID-19 as low for Canada. Public health risk is continually reassessed as new information becomes available.

Province or territoryConfirmed cases
Ontario28
British Columbia27
Quebec2

But we only have a population of 35 million. BC has 5 million people with 27 cases. The US has a population of 350 million or so, so its as if we were really at 570 cases if we were to compare to the US. (approx).

Trudeau doesn't seem like he is doing anything here. The attitude is to laissez faire. And I don't know about these Quebec numbers. I just don't see why we are sitting at 2 (I actually think its 3), doesn't compute to me. I don't know maybe Poutine, Pepsi, and French keep the virus away. Or probably our pot holes and constant construction.
Alberta is not present as always 😂😂

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Besides obvious shitposting now and then I don't want to "balance things out". I only write what corresponds most closely to reason, common sense and facts.
Writing with reason and facts is good, but hyperbolic strawmanning of the scared users does not help.

While they overvalue the direct risk to themselves, there still is some risk, and that should be considered.

Might not be a good idea to do that, we had no way of knowing so don't be dishing out crow for any of this bro

It's not about eating crow. We were almost all uniformly wrong about things.

I would say the 'alarmists' of a month and a half ago were probably right though.

The rest of the world truly wasted the early warning they got from the China outbreak.

I still don't trust the Chinese numbers 100%, as they have a lot of old people too.

Italy looks like the best place to watch right now for how this can go in Western Nations.

RAL1992

I haven't really been worried about the outbreak up until today, a video was posted last night of an incident response vehicle pulling up a street away and now its confirmed as Corona, bit close to home for my liking.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
If you are not part of the risk group, you don't need to panic. It's too late anyways, this will infect every single one of us, probably already has. Just look at how numbers rise week over week and this has started in November. It took two months to show substantial numbers in China, which means the worldwide numbers we are seeing now date back to early January. That's when it was already widespread, just not in larger numbers.

I wonder how long it will be before Coronavirus denial becomes a crime.

I mean, seriously, all I see on Facebook is long walls of text tl;dr that talk about how collectively absurd we are all being.

I couldn't give a toss personally, either it's coming or it's not, I'm not a scientist, a believer, or the illuminati.

The worst thing so far is I'm not going to go to see Satriani in concert in Hungary cuzza this.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I wonder how long it will be before Coronavirus denial becomes a crime.

I mean, seriously, all I see on Facebook is long walls of text tl;dr that talk about how collectively absurd we are all being.

I couldn't give a toss personally, either it's coming or it's not, I'm not a scientist, a believer, or the illuminati.

The worst thing so far is I'm not going to go to see Satriani in concert in Hungary cuzza this.
Most people are in denial until they are personally confronted with it by being close to them. Then they start to panic, because they realize they lost valuable time to prepare. There's no escape from it anymore. You get it, most survive it, 3 % won't. The main issue is that 3 % of 7.5 billion is a crazy high number. And this might come back in Fall.

225 million dead - that's unlike anything we have ever seen.

Last edited:
Most people are in denial until they are personally confronted with it by being close to them. Then they start to panic, because they realize they lost valuable time to prepare. There's no escape from it anymore. You get it, most survive it, 3 % won't. The main issue is that 3 % of 7.5 billion is a crazy high number. And this might come back in Fall.

225 million dead - that's unlike anything we have ever seen.

It is potentially scary I know. Governments and techgiants will definitely use this for social control though, good and bad.

I'm partly stocked as we grow our own a bit, and the missus is a good cook. But a bit more stocking wouldn't hurt. I'm thinking soaps and tissues etc.

This thread is proving to be the best place to stay up-to-date. I was hearing rumours of a decrease or a levelling out, but maybe not yet.

Goddamn it this is looking bad.

This is soooo bad. Also 19 cases confirmed in brazil as of now. Things are still going on as usual here. Let's see how long until everything gets off rails.

sinnergy

Goddamn it this is looking bad.

This is soooo bad. Also 19 cases confirmed in brazil as of now. Things are still going on as usual here. Let's see how long until everything gets off rails.

Yes it pretty bad, I was shocked when I started following this in China, shocking articles , but I am prepared . some things from China seemed over the top and far fetched, but most seemed to be true.

But now I am shocked that a western country is basically experiencing the same , this can’t be good people .

Please prepare, be smart protect your grand father and mother by taking precautions and educating them .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom