• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnergy

Most people are in denial until they are personally confronted with it by being close to them. Then they start to panic, because they realize they lost valuable time to prepare. There's no escape from it anymore. You get it, most survive it, 3 % won't. The main issue is that 3 % of 7.5 billion is a crazy high number. And this might come back in Fall.

225 million dead - that's unlike anything we have ever seen.
In our generations yes, but the plaque and the Spanish flu where just as bad or even worse..

Now we think we can conquer it all, but that’s not true.

Jtibh

Banned
is that your commentary or did he actually say that? can’t find an article on it
Over in the US, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the head of NIAID and the CDC's point man on the outbreak, delivered some appropriately severe comments in a statement to the press delivered early Sunday.

The celebrated epidemiologist warned the public that they should avoid public gatherings because the virus's seemingly rapid spread within communities on the West Coast is "not encouraging."

• FAUCI SAYS SCOPE OF CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK IN UNITED STATES 'NOT ENCOURAGING' BECAUSE OF SPREAD WITHIN COMMUNITIES
  • NIAID HEAD ANTHONY FAUCI SAYS U.S. NEEDS TO LOOK AT CANCELLING EVENTS WITH LARGE GATHERINGS OF PEOPLE IF COMMUNITY SPREAD OF CORONAVIRUS INCREASES.

Will have to find video

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
In our generations yes, but the plaque and the Spanish flu where just as bad or even worse..

Now we think we can conquer it all, but that’s not true.
It's going to be interesting to see what we learn from it. Globalization, open travel, these things could come to an end.

It is interesting seeing new faces pop in here as things get closer to them personally. I imagine by April most of us will have some near brush with COVID-19.

Hopefully Gaffers stay safe and wash hands.

Half of me wants to stock up on everything and lock my family inside for a couple months.. But the other half hopes this is 'just the flu bro' and will peter out before it gets thsuper thserious here.

Sigh.

Jtibh

Banned
It is interesting seeing new faces pop in here as things get closer to them personally. I imagine by April most of us will have some near brush with COVID-19.

Hopefully Gaffers stay safe and wash hands.

Half of me wants to stock up on everything and lock my family inside for a couple months.. But the other half hopes this is 'just the flu bro' and will peter out before it gets thsuper thserious here.

Sigh.
If it walks like a duck talks like a duck looks like a duck its a duck.

Go get food. Wash your hands the monent you enter your house.
Dont touch your face...impossible....
Shave yourself.
Stay informed.
Dont panic just stay alert.

Dont shit on people who just try to help

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The couple of stores I've been to yesterday and today in the Seattle area seem to have completely restocked and recovered from the panic buying over the last week.

Doczu

The couple of stores I've been to yesterday and today in the Seattle area seem to have completely restocked and recovered from the panic buying over the last week.
That's also my plan. I'm not in the danger group, nor is my wife and kid so after people get what they want i will just wait a few days and normal stock will be available 🤷🏻‍♂️

2YrMn5H.jpg
YQED9vP.jpg

No cruise for you!

Frankly this should have been the guidance after the first round of death ships. Doing it now is almost comical but I know people who were still adament about going on their cruise.

The Cruise Industry might have been lobbying hard not to get such travel warnings against them, these things dock in lots of places $$$$. Remember the one delayed in New Jersey? The False Alarm after that they went back to business as normal.

Twilight Zone, the fucking Twilight Zone

McHuj

I have a cruise booked for June. If I cancel now, I have to move the money to another cruise within the next 2 years. If they cancel on me, I get my money back. I'm going to wait it out for now and hope they cancel on me.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Italy looks like the best place to watch right now for how this can go in Western Nations.
Not really, no.

Italy has high numbers of old, diseased people who basically can only survive for an unnaturally long time thanks to free universal healthcare. Many of these people live at home, cared for by their children and nephews who often don’t realize the level of hygiene required to take care of a frail elderly person (and nobody likes to be called dirty so they’ll vehemently deny they may have transmitted germs to their old father/granny).

Many others live in residential facilities where there’s so many of them in pitiful health conditions, often demented. Our hospitals are notoriously dirty, our residential facilities often are too.

Our medical system is notorious for an abnormally disproportionate use of antibiotics and steroids.

Italians relish physical contact, handshakes, hugging, kissing. It is not in our culture to wear surgical masks in public unless one has cancer or immunodeficiencies, and employees usually don’t take any precautions from communicable diseases such as the flu because if they fall sick they will get paid anyway.

And yeah, while we’re surely not the dirtiest, most ignorant, most selfish people in the world, we do have a low civic sense so many people simply don’t realize what they do may affect others on a deep level.

Karma Jawa

The end is near...I’m down to one roll of toilet paper.

Seriously, when did toilet paper become the panic buy of the year? I know people are shitting themselves about this virus but I didn’t think it was literal.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I failed in convincing my elderly parents with pre-existing conditions to stay home the next month. They've promised to be careful, stop taking subways and busses, but it's still a risk that will eat away at me.
Rest of my family will be safe, and I'll be staying elsewhere for the next few months, or until aive got the antibodies, to insure that.

I actually went to the other forum, and wow fo they have a lot of selfish shit heads. If it don't directly effect them, they don't give a fuck, but then if you don't care about their tiny issues, or don't call them by their preferred pronoun, you're the POS.
Entitled little bitches, not even giving a fuck about the people who raised them to feel like their insignificant selves are actually worth anything.

Last edited:
Not really, no.

Italy has high numbers of old, diseased people who basically can only survive for an unnaturally long time thanks to free universal healthcare. Many of these people live at home, cared for by their children and nephews who often don’t realize the level of hygiene required to take care of a frail elderly person (and nobody likes to be called dirty so they’ll vehemently deny they may have transmitted germs to their old father/granny).

Many others live in residential facilities where there’s so many of them in pitiful health conditions, often demented. Our hospitals are notoriously dirty, our residential facilities often are too.

Our medical system is notorious for an abnormally disproportionate use of antibiotics and steroids.

Italians relish physical contact, handshakes, hugging, kissing. It is not in our culture to wear surgical masks in public unless one has cancer or immunodeficiencies, and employees usually don’t take any precautions from communicable diseases such as the flu because if they fall sick they will get paid anyway.

And yeah, while we’re surely not the dirtiest, most ignorant, most selfish people in the world, we do have a low civic sense so many people simply don’t realize what they do may affect others on a deep level.

Sounds pretty similar to a lot of Americans if I'm being honest (as an American 🇺🇸).

There are now more than 500 cases of novel coronavirus in the US
From CNN's Shawn Nottingham

There are 512 cases of the novel coronavirus in the United States, according to the state and local health agencies, governments and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

According to the CDC there are 49 cases from repatriated citizens from Wuhan (3) and the Diamond Princess (46). Twenty-one are from the Grand Princess cruise ship.

According to CNN Health’s tally of US cases that are detected and tested in the United States through US public health systems, there are 442 cases in 33 states and the District of Columbia, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases to 512.

Velius

Banned
There are now more than 500 cases of novel coronavirus in the US
From CNN's Shawn Nottingham

There are 512 cases of the novel coronavirus in the United States, according to the state and local health agencies, governments and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

According to the CDC there are 49 cases from repatriated citizens from Wuhan (3) and the Diamond Princess (46). Twenty-one are from the Grand Princess cruise ship.

According to CNN Health’s tally of US cases that are detected and tested in the United States through US public health systems, there are 442 cases in 33 states and the District of Columbia, bringing the total number of coronavirus cases to 512.

Is there any word on the allocation of these cases? God I knew they were going to fuck this up. It's loose now. 500 cases means that really there's like 5000 cases at the very least.

Is there any word on the allocation of these cases? God I knew they were going to fuck this up. It's loose now. 500 cases means that really there's like 5000 cases at the very least.

If you want a breakdown by States that have case

scroll down and click USA at the very bottom of the contry list for a breakdown

fChduV0.png

Last edited:
Spain reports total of 647 coronavirus cases
From CNN's Laura Perez Maestro in Madrid

Spanish health authorities announced a total of 647 coronavirus cases across the country on Sunday.
Here's a breakdown by region:
  • Andalusia 51
  • Aragon 19
  • Asturias 7
  • Balearic Islands 8
  • Canary 18
  • Cantabria 12
  • CLM 15
  • CyL 22
  • Catalonia 78
  • C. Valencian 42
  • Extremadura 6
  • Galicia 5
  • Madrid 202
  • Murcia 1
  • Navarra 4
  • Basque Country 102
  • La Rioja 55

Pennsylvania reports 2 new presumptive positive coronavirus cases, bringing statewide total to 6
From CNN’s Laura Ly

Pennsylvania announced two new presumptive positive cases of novel coronavirus in Montgomery County on Sunday, bringing the statewide total to six, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Health.

Poland confirms 3 new cases of coronavirus, bringing country's total to 8
From CNN's Aleks Klosok and Jennifer Hauser

Poland's health ministry announced three new cases of coronavirus Sunday, bringing the national total to eight.

Number of coronavirus cases in Israel rise
From CNN's Andrew Carey

Israel's number of confirmed coronavirus cases jumped by 10 Sunday night, bringing the total to 39, according to the Ministry of Health.
Five of the new cases arrived from overseas, including one each from Italy, Spain, and Belgium, while two came in from Austria.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Most people are in denial until they are personally confronted with it by being close to them. Then they start to panic, because they realize they lost valuable time to prepare. There's no escape from it anymore. You get it, most survive it, 3 % won't. The main issue is that 3 % of 7.5 billion is a crazy high number. And this might come back in Fall.

225 million dead - that's unlike anything we have ever seen.

Ok lets not go crazy. Not the entire world is going to get this. Even in China where it went crazy it was not 3% of the TOTAL POPULATION that died. China has 80000 cases out of 1.3 billion people and only a 3 thousand of those died. 3000 out of 1.3 billion is not 3%.

I am not a its just the flu bro guy, its serious and one of the bigger impacts will be economic, and then we will see the political fall out of this. But 225 million people aren't going to die. I think 50K might even be a struggle if you look at China.

Jtibh

Banned
  • Italy reports 2nd straight 1,000+ jump in cases, deaths jump 60%; mortality rate in Italy hits 5%
  • Total US cases surpass 500
  • Portugal president goes into self-quarantine
  • New York State confirms 16 new cases bringing total north of 100
  • Santa Clara reports 5 more cases to 37
  • Mass confirms 15 more cases tied to Biogen conference
  • Mayor de Blasio says NYC could see hundreds of cases in 2-3 weeks
  • Death toll hits 21 as 2 more cases confirmed in Washington State
  • Oregon declares state of emergency
  • 16 million Italians wake up under quarantine
  • Egypt reports Africa's first coronavirus death, a German citizen
  • Pope Francis cancels Sunday address
  • Dr. Fauci warns community spread is getting out of control.
  • 'Grand Princess' to dock in Oakland on Monday
  • Saudi Arabia quarantines province
  • France, Germany call for bans on events with over 1,000
  • Still no word on timing of when 'Grand Princess' will land
  • Patient in Japan develops meningitis
  • Spain death toll hits 17, 600+ cases
  • Cuomo says he wants to avoid closing NYC schools, transit if possible
  • Iran official death toll hits 194
  • Daegu Mayor says outbreak may be slowing as number of new cases falls

Revoh

We are going to be so fucked around here in Paraguay. It's around 34-37 degrees Celsius over here and I don't think heat does shit.

Sybrix

I'm still struggling to understand the worlds reaction to this, i get that this flu is hugely contagious however just over 4,000 people died in the UK last year from seasonal flu, mainly older persons or persons with other health issues and theirs no panic buying, quarantine etc..

Is the concern here that as its hugely contagious it would put a unprecedented strain on countries health services and render a proportion of the population ill and unable to work for a period of time?

I just cant get my head around the current reaction to this, which makes me think is there something governments are not telling us about this virus?

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
This would have been over already if they shut shit down when it first broke out.

No flights in and out of China, China keeping their effected areas quarantined and then the rest of the world helping where possible while still being vigilant for potential cases in their own countries.

But no, it was downplayed by the WHO and international governments because it wasn't close enough to home yet and keeping the global economy was seen as more important than the health and wellbeing of the general population.

Now we are in a situation where the long term implications of this will far outstrip what would have been a temporary economic downturn for a few weeks.

I know its easy to say in hindsight but people should have seen this coming. It was only a few weeks ago many on here were saying "it's just a flu" when companies were pulling out of trade shows and exhibitions. You don't see many people still saying that now that it's hitting closer to home and their parents/grandparents might be at risk.
Lots of low iq leftists are still saying corona is only just flu.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm still struggling to understand the worlds reaction to this, i get that this flu is hugely contagious however just over 4,000 people died in the UK last year from seasonal flu, mainly older persons or persons with other health issues and theirs no panic buying, quarantine etc..

Is the concern here that as its hugely contagious it would put a unprecedented strain on countries health services and render a proportion of the population ill and unable to work for a period of time?

I just cant get my head around the current reaction to this, which makes me think is there something governments are not telling us about this virus?

Ok look again at the numbers for the flu.

Now imagine the same flu but this time it also has the ability to spread silently via people who don't display any symptoms of being ill plus there being no vaccine or set treatment protocols.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom