• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doctor Fact-Checks Media On Coronavirus

I love what this guy had to say. I support it 100%, and he even spoke about my number following but I am not going to stop my number festish (until Animal Crossing) I got to stay Alert until then

speaking of which

Kentucky reports 3 new presumptive positive cases of coronavirus, bring the state total to 4
From CNN’s Hollie Silverman

Three new presumptive positive cases of coronavirus have been identified in the state of Kentucky bringing the state total to four, Gov. Andy Beshear announced Sunday.
The three new cases were identified in Fayette, Harrison and Jefferson counties, Beshear said.
All three patients are in isolation and no further information about them is available, Beshear said.

Washington now has 136 coronavirus cases
From CNN’s Melissa Alonso

The Washington State Health Department has updated its novel coronavirus statewide totals to 136 cases with 18 deaths.
Twenty-one new cases were added to the statewide total.
The state also reported 1,110 negative test results as of Sunday

pramod

Banned
We are going to be so fucked around here in Paraguay. It's around 34-37 degrees Celsius over here and I don't think heat does shit.

Why do u think that? So far all evidence points to the virus being much less virulent in warm weather.

Liljagare

The end is near...I’m down to one roll of toilet paper.

Seriously, when did toilet paper become the panic buy of the year? I know people are shitting themselves about this virus but I didn’t think it was literal.

Seriously, install a bide', I go through maybe a roll a month.. Good thing to have atm :p

The TP thing seems dumb to me. Probably one person posted about it being gone as a joke and suddenly everyone is now trying to get it before its sold out, thus making an actual run on TP.

If the water is running just sploosh your butts.

If the water isn't running, you stocked up on the wrong shit.

I'll feel a lot better when we see a non crazy country get this under control. South Korea seems like the likely candidate to me.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I

I Guess what i ment with this is that here in canada there are no proactive measures though we have lots of cases and in other countries where there is maybe 2 they go to the extreme and almost seems they just follow the trend.

Not to say its wrong but just adds to the toilet paper hysteria and people later when its realy getting serious will maybe not go for it anymore ,claiming crying wolf too many times.
In countries with large numbers of cases they are past the time where containment will be effective. If you only have a couple of cases then there is still a chance to contain infected people so the virus never gains a foothold.

Liljagare

Why do u think that? So far all evidence points to the virus being much less virulent in warm weather.

I thought that is a hopefull theory, we don't know, and look at some spots that has it, temps over 30 c, pretty much warmer compared to summers in alot of places. Seems it doesn't care about temps imho?

Dthomp

Seriously, install a bide', I go through maybe a roll a month.. Good thing to have atm :p

I seriously don't understand the mechanics of a bidet...like so it shoot water at your bum...but how exactly is a small burst of water cleaning crap off you? Wouldn't it just make it...more wet? And then what? You have an ass towel? So now I'm putting a poop towel in my washer, thus spreading it to other articles of cloth or clothes? I am being honest, I really don't understand the bidet love

Karma Jawa

I seriously don't understand the mechanics of a bidet...like so it shoot water at your bum...but how exactly is a small burst of water cleaning crap off you? Wouldn't it just make it...more wet? And then what? You have an ass towel? So now I'm putting a poop towel in my washer, thus spreading it to other articles of cloth or clothes? I am being honest, I really don't understand the bidet love

I would never feel clean after a little shot of water. I’d probably feel better using a plunger.

MrMephistoX

I would never feel clean after a little shot of water. I’d probably feel better using a plunger.

It’s more than a squirt it’s a pressurized blast...mine has three levels of strength. The highest setting will determine if you have a male gspot.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm still struggling to understand the worlds reaction to this, i get that this flu is hugely contagious however just over 4,000 people died in the UK last year from seasonal flu, mainly older persons or persons with other health issues and theirs no panic buying, quarantine etc..

Is the concern here that as its hugely contagious it would put a unprecedented strain on countries health services and render a proportion of the population ill and unable to work for a period of time?

I just cant get my head around the current reaction to this, which makes me think is there something governments are not telling us about this virus?
We are used to the flu, it's spread patterns, it's death rate etc etc. This is a new virus and so no-one has immunity and the data is only just starting to solidify.

autoduelist

When I was last in Vegas the place I was put up at had a $3,000 toilet with a bidet and after-bidet warm air butt dryer. I can confirm it was effective.

Man my 2 cents in here is that China needs to stop messing with wild life. Fair enough if in the past it was so they could eat and even then it was highly risky but there's no excuse now to keep this up. This action impacts us all and it's happened twice.
It's a third world country.

autoduelist

Went to a birthday party for a 7 year old today. One mom was coughing into her arm the whole time, and told us 'not to worry' she's been sick for awhile and it was just a cold... then later mentioned to my wife she just got back from flying to LA.

Great. Even granted her cough was unrelated [I'm sure it was] does she not understand that coughing still spreads anything she may have just picked up?

At least I will know who to blame.

Jtibh

Banned
Thats cuz you are not a woman.

Karma Jawa

We are used to the flu, it's spread patterns, it's death rate etc etc. This is a new virus and so no-one has immunity and the data is only just starting to solidify.

Exactly. Lots of people die from the flu every year. The numbers from this might seem small, but that’s because the authorities are shutting down entire cities.

Easiest way to look at this (obviously exaggerated figures):

Standard flu kills 5% of 100 people infected.

Corona-19 kills 0.5% of 1,000,000 people

All reports imply this is massively contagious, so a small percent of a massive figure leading to fatalities is still a massive figure. Remember Italy and China are actively trying to contain this, whereas nobody does for the flu.

It’s not necessarily more deadly in and of itself, but the level of contagion inevitably makes it more likely to lead to fatalities. And by all accounts it’s highly contagious.

A lot of us will probably get it and be fine. It will pretty much suffocate others, as it stops the most vulnerable from breathing.

my old haunts

One new presumptive positive case of coronavirus identified in Broward County, Florida

One new presumptive positive case of coronavirus has been identified in Broward County, Florida, according to a tweet from the Florida Department of Health.
The new case is a 67-year-old male who is currently isolated, the tweet read.
This is the third case in Broward County, bringing the state total to 13.

Liljagare

Not a stupid question at all!

On a note, If you're using a bidet with a jet, then you can mostly let the force of the water do its work, it gets like 99% of the poop off. You can probarly buy them for less than 100 US.

Or if you want the standalone:

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Exactly. Lots of people die from the flu every year. The numbers from this might seem small, but that’s because the authorities are shutting down entire cities.

Easiest way to look at this (obviously exaggerated figures):

Standard flu kills 5% of 100 people infected.

Corona-19 kills 0.5% of 1,000,000 people

All reports imply this is massively contagious, so a small percent of a massive figure leading to fatalities is still a massive figure. Remember Italy and China are actively trying to contain this, whereas nobody does for the flu.

It’s not necessarily more deadly in and of itself, but the level of contagion inevitably makes it more likely to lead to fatalities. And by all accounts it’s highly contagious.

A lot of us will probably get it and be fine. It will pretty much suffocate others, as it stops the most vulnerable from breathing.
We should look at this situation as a double down.

We already have a lot of flu cases, now you the corona cases to it and boom the healthcare system collapses.

Not to mention the amount of personal and enviroment it takes to treat a corona patient vs a flu patient.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Most people are in denial until they are personally confronted with it by being close to them. Then they start to panic, because they realize they lost valuable time to prepare. There's no escape from it anymore. You get it, most survive it, 3 % won't. The main issue is that 3 % of 7.5 billion is a crazy high number. And this might come back in Fall.

225 million dead - that's unlike anything we have ever seen.
Your math is based on incomplete data and a lot of assumptions.

ManaByte

Gold Member

The authors, five infectious-disease researchers in China, analyzed the prevalence of the terms "SARS," its Chinese equivalent "Feidian," "coronavirus," "shortness of breath," "dyspnea," and "diarrhea" in posts and searches on WeChat from November 17 to December 31. Their findings suggest "abnormal spikes and increases" in the usage of all the keywords during that time.

If confirmed, the findings might indicate that the coronavirus started circulating weeks before the first cases were officially diagnosed and reported.

Based on this is likely it was spreading in China as far back as September.

It also explains why the CDC saw a spike in flu cases in the US back in December.

Meaning it's been in the country since at least December, because there were people travelling freely back then.

But it's only in the last few weeks after January that the media started screaming that everyone was going to die.

HoodWinked

I've been thinking about this in the long term and I think China may come out ahead on this because the virus has spread so much more over there than any other part of the world, they'll likely be the first to develop some level of herd immunity which will allow their society to continue to function as the virus becomes endemic. where as in america the number of infections is still quite low and now they're beginning to implement quarantines and lockdowns in some areas which does slow the spread but this is a double edged sword because these measure won't make the virus go away but instead slow herd immunity and slow down the productivity of the areas affected but this could be for months. China is essentially ripping off the bandaid and getting on with it, while America could be slowly peeling the bandaid off for a year. China could in several months get a head start on the economy (maybe Italy and Korea as well) while America and other EU nations are still grappling with the virus.

America needs to prioritize a vaccine at all costs so that this scenario doesn't happen or even better we get the vaccine first allowing us to recover ahead of everyone else.

QewNnBq.gif

ManaByte

Gold Member
I've been thinking about this in the long term and I think China may come out ahead on this because the virus has spread so much more over there than any other part of the world, they'll likely be the first to develop some level of herd immunity which will allow their society to continue to function as the virus becomes endemic. where as in america the number of infections is still quite low and now they're beginning to implement quarantines and lockdowns in some areas which does slow the spread but this is a double edged sword because these measure won't make the virus go away but instead slow herd immunity and slow down the productivity of the areas affected but this could be for months. China is essentially ripping off the bandaid and getting on with it, while America could be slowly peeling the bandaid off for a year. China could in several months get a head start on the economy (maybe Italy and Korea as well) while America and other EU nations are still grappling with the virus.

America needs to prioritize a vaccine at all costs so that this scenario doesn't happen or even better we get the vaccine first allowing us to recover ahead of everyone else.

QewNnBq.gif

That's an anti-vaxxer GIF.

South Korea really are troopers, all of this while North Korea shoots missiles like brats

edit: this report of numbers was SK's 10AM local time number they have a second back in about 6-7ish hours nomally on the same day.

Last edited:
Our Troops have not had it easy lately

Marine Corps Base Quantico status 'Code Yellow' after coronavirus case
From CNN’s Gregory Clary

Marine Corps Base Quantico will operate under a “Code Yellow” status beginning Monday, according to a tweet from the base’s official Twitter account, after a Marine on the base tested positive for the coronavirus.
The Code Yellow status authorizes unscheduled leave while “mission essential” personnel are expected to report to work.

recover fast and soon!

Oh hey China in the 40s again. We just need the deaths to go back to zero and this should be a good indication of how long it could take someone else to put this thing on ice. Hopefully it does not drag out and most recover since we don't have the ages of those critical or seriously ill right now.

----

Father of woman diagnosed with coronavirus attended school function against orders of health officials to isolate, official says

The father of a woman with a presumptive positive case of coronavirus attended a school function with another child Saturday against the orders of health officials to isolate, St. Louis County Executive Sam Page said during a Sunday press conference.

The presumptive positive case in St. Louis County was identified as a woman in her 20s who had recently returned from Italy, a press release issued Saturday said. The only reported case in the state, the woman had fever and respiratory issues, Gov. Mike Parson said.

The woman's father and other family members had been in daily contact multiple times a day since March 5 and knew they were supposed to isolate at home, Page said.

Health officials have since spoken to the father and told him he needs to stay home. They will obtain a court order for quarantine if necessary, Page said.

Page did not know how many people attended the school function or what the possibility for exposure was. The father and other members of the family are not exhibiting symptoms, he said.

Last edited:

pramod

Banned

South Korea really are troopers, all of this while North Korea shoots missiles like brats

edit: this report of numbers was SK's 10AM local time number they have a second back in about 6-7ish hours nomally on the same day.

It does seem like its under control now in SK.

decisions

not sure what to think of this but i hope he’s right

To be honest, he probably is right.

If you keep looking at the numbers, and not stories about the numbers, everything he states is true.

China and SK’s numbers have dropped off significantly. Also, he mentions something largely ignored by people hating on America’s healthcare and government response in the wake of all this — China’s healthcare is not good.

The situation is serious, but there is still too much unwarranted hysteria and panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom