• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one refuse to serve crow to all of the 'just a flu bros'

VxDlDRn.jpg

Is there a way we can bioengineer a deadly contagious virus that specifically targets bats, rats, mosquitos, ticks and just unleash it into the wild so we can get rid of these useless disease-carrying species that serve no purpose in this world other than to be a danger to us?

Bats and rats actually have an ecological benefit (especially bats, which pollinate and cull insects).

Mosquitos and ticks, on the other hand, have little impact on the food chain and no positive interaction with other species. They can be exterminated without repercussions.

Why would you want more disease carriers running around?

That is how this got started in the first place - just a few weeks ago the media narrative was that "This was just the flu!" and "Why is mean racist Drumpf keeping the yellow people out?" That selfish hag and spoiled doctor on the cruise ship were whining about being prevented from spreading coronavirus.

We should have quarantined all travelers from the initial infection zones involuntarily.

His response was literally only showing concern about the numbers of infected going up.

cryptoadam

Banned
Good question, but I think it could well be significant numbers just with milder symptoms that then get spread to the elderly who are more vulnerable.

Ya so far it seems that the elderly/vlunerable are at risk the most and need to be paid more attention. I mean going by Canada's numbers about 7 people under 40 got sick, and I bet at most 1, but probably 0 went to the hospital for it.

Dthomp

My county has thrown in the towel after ten cases and are moving towards mitigation. We are also only capable of testing 20 times per day. It looks like I was better off staying in China with this sort of response.

I'm also in an argument with my wife because sick relatives keep coming over to our house that is made up of me a 36 year old with type 1 diabetes, my wife whom is pregnant, and her mother who is over 60. Her niece got sent home for coughing so much she threw up, and they keep coming to our house.

Somehow im being a hypochondriac. "If you are so concerned why don't you self isolate, telework and ill bring you food." How about we don't constantly surround ourselves with sick people while a deadly virus that we are vulnerable to is circulating our community?

Man, take care. 39yr old T1 here and we (me and wifey) are just doing everything possible to keep from bringing it into our home. Can't see how anyone would even want to put their loved one in that situation, we are in for a struggle if we get it (You or I).

Tygeezy

Man, take care. 39yr old T1 here and we (me and wifey) are just doing everything possible to keep from bringing it into our home. Can't see how anyone would even want to put their loved one in that situation, we are in for a struggle if we get it (You or I).
Yeah, for some reason my wife just seems to be under the impression that i'm not at risk because i'm not old and I have my sugars under fairly good control. They are just writing her dry cough off as "just allergies" and I don't think i'm asking a lot by suggesting they stay away while sick and while this is going on, but apparently that is just too much.

Joe T.

Ya so far it seems that the elderly/vlunerable are at risk the most and need to be paid more attention. I mean going by Canada's numbers about 7 people under 40 got sick, and I bet at most 1, but probably 0 went to the hospital for it.

Speaking of hospital visits:

MONTREAL -- Quebec health authorities have announced that one of the Quebecers who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 took the bus and metro to and from the South Shore and Montreal on Feb. 24 and March 6.

Judging by the itinerary they were using public transit to/from the CHUM.

So the principal from my daughter's school today called and left a message that one of the students had been sent home to quarantine due to coronavirus fears. They just returned from abroad and the students father has been diagnosed with it. They wouldn't give any other info and said it is up to all of us whether to send our children back to school tomorrow or not.

Didnt say anything about even what grade the child was in or if they were deep cleaning the classroom. How is anyone supposed to make an informed decision about what to do with their child with this kind of info? This is an elementary school. Grades k-4 through 5th.

A little detail on Turkey

Turkey confirms first case of coronavirus
From CNN's Gul Tuysuz

Turkey confirmed its first case of coronavirus, said the country's Health Minister Fahrettin Koca in at a news conference in Ankara.
The male patient came in contact with the virus through Europe and has been in isolation, the minister said.

He continued: “All family and close contacts are also being monitored. Please do not travel abroad unless necessary…For those returning from abroad, we are asking that they self isolate.”

Koca said medical personnel and hospitals have taken precautions.

"One or two cases should not be considered an outbreak, it just means that the virus has entered within our borders. This was a strong possibility and has come true," he said.

I have a feeling they are not going to be one of our trusted number providers

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
We have now 14 cases in alberta.

7 or 9 in my city.

Will have to lock my wife out of the house if she gets it at work

Dthomp

When your first cases are announced with a death, you know things are bad.

that's my biggest fear, local reports don't say much as far as tests in ND, so for all I know is it's been here spreading around, cause It'Z JuSt Da fLu.

Pretty sure both me and my wife are sick with something as is, fevers, pains, the usual business, but now with the worry that this is out here spreading...

Tygeezy

that's my biggest fear, local reports don't say much as far as tests in ND, so for all I know is it's been here spreading around, cause It'Z JuSt Da fLu.

Pretty sure both me and my wife are sick with something as is, fevers, pains, the usual business, but now with the worry that this is out here spreading...
Stay safe type 1 friend :( I dont meet a lot of people with type 1, it's a struggle and I hope you and your wife get well soon. My Glucose always spikes while ill so I hope yo are able to keep it under control.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
We have now 14 cases in alberta.

7 or 9 in my city.

Will have to lock my wife out of the house if she gets it at work
The thing is you won’t know until she has symptoms and then it’ll be too late, because you’re a carrier long before.

So the obviously solution is to lock her out now. 😏

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
The thing is you won’t know until she has symptoms and then it’ll be too late, because you’re a carrier long before.

So the obviously solution is to lock her out now. 😏
Would hope they test her in the hospital after being exposed to her patients.
But yeah changing locks tonight after she goes for nightshift

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
WHO Situation Report (Issue 50, 10a CET March 10):

Global:

113702 cases (+4125)
4012 deaths (+203)

China:
80924 cases (+20)
3140 deaths (+17)

CFR: 3.8%

Outside of China:
32778 cases (+4105)
872 deaths (+186)
109 countries/regions (+5)

CFR: 2.6%

The CFR will continue to rise once the new infections slow down though, due to the trailing death effect (i.e. China reported 20 new cases today, and 17 dead, if you did a 1:1 it'd appear to be a 85% mortality rate (!) but since those 20 new cases likely won't die for a week or two (IF they do) we can't calculate it on the fly.)

Sugarmonkey

So the principal from my daughter's school today called and left a message that one of the students had been sent home to quarantine due to coronavirus fears. They just returned from abroad and the students father has been diagnosed with it. They wouldn't give any other info and said it is up to all of us whether to send our children back to school tomorrow or not.

Didnt say anything about even what grade the child was in or if they were deep cleaning the classroom. How is anyone supposed to make an informed decision about what to do with their child with this kind of info? This is an elementary school. Grades k-4 through 5th.

Shit that's tough. My daughter is only in Pre-K, but after a few people mentioned that we might want to keep her home as I have Multiple Myeloma (currently on a clinical trial in my 2nd year, numbers are great, it's suppressed). We finally decided last night to try to get ahead of the curve and keep her home for the foreseeable future. No idea what we would do if she was in grade school. Some schools near us in CT have already closed, and her teacher sent out a message to parents regarding tablets at home for at home learning, so it seems like everyone might be staying home soon. I'm not sure specifically how affected I might be if I get the coronavirus but I had pneumonia last year and had to spend two days in the hospital to get it under control. Not super confident right now.

Liljagare

Well, knowing how shit the Nursery system in Sweden is since years, the healthcare would collapse if these nurses went into sick leave.

Yepp.

And, just after midnight, 4 out of Stockholms 5 ER's went into crisismode. Only 1 is due to Covid-19, it really shows we have no capacity at all left over.. :\

Last edited:
Shit that's tough. My daughter is only in Pre-K, but after a few people mentioned that we might want to keep her home as I have Multiple Myeloma (currently on a clinical trial in my 2nd year, numbers are great, it's suppressed). We finally decided last night to try to get ahead of the curve and keep her home for the foreseeable future.

My wife has chrons and the medication comprises her immune system so she too is at greater risk. I'm not too worried about my daughter contracting and fighting off the virus but rather my wife.

Also we both work full time and dont have the kind of jobs we can work from home or just take days off on a whim much less weeks.

I work in a big manufacturing plant and am secretly hoping we shut down for a few weeks just so I can keep my kids home without fear of losing my job...

Obviously a better scenario would be for this thing to go away though.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
One of the things that pisses me off. When people only look at the mortality rate and not the totals. 4,000 deaths is 4,000 loved ones lost. That's a lot of people. I don't care about the fucking percentage.

If some psycho walked around a city with a machine gun tomorrow and murdered 4,000 people, we wouldn't be talking percentages. We would be mourning the deaths of people. Even if most of them were elderly.

I feel to mentally cope and partial denial, we try to distance ourselves from panic and tragedy by painting everything in terms of percentages. All until someone you know or care about dies. Then it becomes real.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
My wife has chrons and the medication comprises her immune system so she too is at greater risk. I'm not too worried about my daughter contracting and fighting off the virus but rather my wife.

Also we both work full time and dont have the kind of jobs we can work from home or just take days off on a whim much less weeks.

I work in a big manufacturing plant and am secretly hoping we shut down for a few weeks just so I can keep my kids home without fear of losing my job...

Obviously a better scenario would be for this thing to go away though.

I'm in that same boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom