• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
Ooof.

And just in case they delete the tweet.

At2a4Tk.png

cryptoadam

Banned
Just going through the data by country:
China - seemingly contained after reaching 80K ish
Italy - 10K cases, doubling time of 2-3 days
Iran - 8K cases, seems to be tapering
South Korea - tapering at 8K
France/Spain/Germany/USA - sharp upward trajectory, but still early days

I don't know, too early for any real insights to be gained here.
The most useful data so far is out of the bad cases how many people recover.
I don't think we'll have good data until the testing is streamlined, we have a heat map of cases and can related them to population density, and we can model how many cases we are missing for asymptomatic or very mild infections that go uncounted.

The other big telling factor will be bad hospitalizations. We need to get some stats on how overloaded hospitals are getting and compare that with the seasonal flu. If hospitals can't keep with this shit you know it's bad.

I would for sure like some demographics especially age on those who are being hospatilized. Can't gleam much from Canada's numbers cuz they are small, but they have broken it down to 82% over 40 and only 13% hospitalized. Small sample of 65 cases. But that seems a bit consistent with most of the numbers we are getting. If we can keep it away from the sick and old then there is a better chance keep stress off the health system.

We know that in Italy the average age for deaths was 81. So I am going to have to assume that most of the stress is coming from a lot of elderly people in the hospital system.

Can she see the writing of a letter? That's the only thing you can do, a letter (sadly no flowers, they can be nasty carriers), unless they have something that can play media, then film yourself and possibly put big subtitles, then tell them to throw the card away as sending it back could be dangerous.
That's the only thing you can do unless you want to go full hazmat and take the risk to get in there, greet at her from distance and write messages on a portable board or something.

I was thinking a letter was the only thing I can really do. She still reads a lot and her vision is fine. I really wish I could say it in person though.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

I was thinking a letter was the only thing I can really do. She still reads a lot and her vision is fine. I really wish I could say it in person though.

Is there a courtyard with windows and stuff? That's the only way to be 99.99% sure you can see her, she can see you without significant risks.
How deaf she is, we're talking about "people has to speak straight in her good ear like it's a phone" or "she can hear if it's loud enough"?
A recording would do if it's the latter.

All states will soon follow suit like dominoes.

So what happens with the NBA playoffs if the outbreak hasn't been contained in a timely fashion?
It's starting now, it means the s***storm is in two weeks. Finals are in mid-April, that means the USA will be in "stay f*ing home" mode.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Is there a courtyard with windows and stuff? That's the only way to be 99.99% sure you can see her, she can see you without significant risks.
How deaf she is, we're talking about "people has to speak straight in her good ear like it's a phone" or "she can hear if it's loud enough"?

So what happens with the NBA playoffs if the outbreak hasn't been contained in a timely fashion?
It's starting now, it means the s***storm is in two weeks. Finals are in mid-April, that means the USA will be in "stay f*ing home" mode.
Simple, they will play in empty arenas.

Think about it this way. Local governors/officials, plus the CDC are all going to eventually recommend these leagues stop allowing fans to games. Even if not every state makes it an official policy, what league is going to not follow the advice of the CDC? If they contribute to an outbreak or deaths that can be pinned on them, no league will want any part of having that on their hands, I promise you. It would be a horrible look on their part.

All it takes is one, and the rest will follow. I suspect soon the CDC will announce publicly they recommend all sporting events to be players and staff only. And that's just to start.

Paracelsus

Think about it this way. Local governors/officials, plus the CDC are all going to eventually recommend these leagues stop allowing fans to games. Even if not every state makes it an official policy, what league is going to not follow the advice of the CDC? If they contribute to an outbreak or deaths that can be pinned on them, no league will want any part of having that on their hands, I promise you. It would be a horrible look on their part.

All it takes is one, and the rest will follow. I suspect soon the CDC will announce publicly they recommend all sporting events to be players and staff only. And that's just to start.

Yeah, but that's still an average of like 18000 people unable to go watch the game.
If they can't watch it, you better hope they all have cable, otherwise they'll go to whatever joint they can find that shows the game, see where I'm going?
Here they're talking about suspending everything for this reason.
Would NBA/ABC/ESPN throw a bitch fit if the government said "health issues, air the damn game on free tv" because of tv rights?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
What if this really does become an apocalyptic scale thing and what if this is why people have been acting so bizarre these last several years, like a collective unconscious thing where people could sense something bad was coming down the pike and it was making them go crazy?

I'm definitely starting to get a bit worried myself.
Don't forget all the locusts en masse lately.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
question about hospitalizations... shouldn’t we begin to see a drop in flu cases now that Spring is coming? that will certainly ease some of the access issues, no?

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yepp.

And, just after midnight, 4 out of Stockholms 5 ER's went into crisismode. Only 1 is due to Covid-19, it really shows we have no capacity at all left over.. :\
If they just payed more for the local nurses that might relax many situations and they would not have to hire expensive ones from 3rd parties.

People Getting Paid $4,500 To Be Infected With Coronavirus.

I dont get it. Why not ask an already sick person to support?

Last edited:

chitzy

Banned

Conveniently, March Madness begins right around the time that coronavirus should be getting offices closed down and people sent home.

She's on the upper floor of the facility and you have to talk loudly with her hearing aid plugged in. I have doubts a recording would work. Letter is probably my only option here.

Paracelsus

She's on the upper floor of the facility and you have to talk loudly with her hearing aid plugged in. I have doubts a recording would work. Letter is probably my only option here.

Then write something on a big piece of cardboard, have someone take a picture of you, print it in A2-A3 format, send it to her with the letter.

autoduelist

I want to go potentially say goodbye to my grandmother, she's 95 and in a nursing home. She doesn't hear well anymore so I can't phone her. I am worried about going in there though and being infected. I'm close to Toronto and it hasn't blown up yet and I feel fine, but for all I know I already have it and I'll feel it 2 weeks from now. I don't know what to do.

My grandmother is in her 90s too. Do not visit her. It isn't about you getting infected, it's the risk you already are.

First coronavirus patient dies in Panama
Panama has reported its first coronavirus death, according to a news release from the Health Ministry.

The patient was a 64-year-old man who had also suffered from diabetic complications and bacterial pneumonia.

A 40-year-old was confirmed as Panama's first coronavirus patient earlier Tuesday.

Sakura

If you take out the 26 deaths from the nursing home, that means the death rate in the US is around 0.5% or ie just like the flu.
Death rate of the flu is like 0.1%, and many of those deaths are people who are eldery/compromised just like the nursing home, so not sure why you would take it out of the numbers.
Not to mention, as you can surely notice, it's only 15 recovered so far, so those deaths are likely to climb.

Canada confirms 14 more coronavirus cases
From CNN’s Paula Newton in Atlanta

Fourteen new coronavirus infections have been confirmed in Canada, most of which were travel-related, authorities said.
Seven of the new infections are in Alberta and seven in British Columbia -- where two cases of possible community spread are under investigation.

Canada has now identified 93 coronavirus patients in total, and one fatality in a North Vancouver long-term care home. Two of the seven cases reported in British Columbia on Tuesday were employees of that home.

These are the Canadian provinces where coronavirus patients have been identified:
  1. Alberta: 14 cases
  2. British Columbia: 39 cases, 1 death
  3. Ontario: 36 cases
  4. Quebec: 4 cases

autoduelist

I'm also in an argument with my wife...

My wife gives zero shits about corona. I wish she cared more. But honestly, i'm normally on team give 0 shits [sars, swine, mad cow, etc] so i understand, though i had to turn in my card when China started barring people into their own homes.

I'd be happier with another 100 cans of soup, but we should be alright supply wise.

I'm more concerned we're still going to school, sending the kids to jujitsu, etc. as we try to balance under and overreaction. I've been following this for so long I'm too close to it... i can't tell i'm just reading/watching myself into concern, or if she simply isn't paying attention. I'm sure this is stressing out many.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Man if I get this I WILL die haha. Getting fucked over each day because of fucking allergies so I can just imagine a stronger version of the flu completely wrecking my shit.

betrayal

Banned
I see the development in most countries as positive. But as of yesterday, the U.S. performed a maximum of 6,000 tests. Germany, in comparison, has carried out at least 35,000 tests in the same period, and these are only tests commissioned by medical practices. The tests of clinics etc. come on top of that. Germany's test capacity alone, at around 12,000 per day, is more than twice as high as the total number of tests carried out by the USA to date.

Yesterday the number of tests was 6,000 vs. 40,000.
Population of the USA 327 million vs. 83 million in Germany, which makes 0.0021% vs. 0.048% in population coverage, which is 0.0021% vs. 0.048% in population coverage.
Germany has a 23 times higher coverage in relation to its population and the numbers are still rising sharply, but which is normal and to be expected at the moment.
South Korea has already tested 0.31% of its population with ~160k tests, which is almost 150 times higher coverage compared to the USA.

If the USA doesn't start to increase its test capacity soon, they will have problems. Unfortunately, the number of tests is one of the most important factors in fighting the virus. Only a high number of tests can lead to effective measures like containment.

There is no need to paint the devil on the wall, but if the USA does not follow suit, it is quite possible that they will end up being the country with the biggest problems. Thanks to the demographics, it will certainly not be a large area over the whole country, but there will be several epicentres.

Last edited:

sinnergy

had to take a nap so I missed the when but here it is

gMMR91n.png

USA over 1,000 cases
Yeah man shit gonna be bad.

This week I went to buy some more medicine here in the Netherlands, there was enough , to fill 2 trucks, Tells me no one is prepared.

I get my stuff, clerk tells me 3 per person, why , no answer, I say , this is business for you, and you will make even more money.

Clerk: It won’t be this bad, it’s flu, I rolled my eyes. Said , I hope so and walked out the store.

Human nature right there.

Last edited:
this is a rough read from my State

Wife of Wilton coronavirus patient in coma: ‘My husband got really sick, really fast’

WILTON — The first Connecticut resident who tested positive for the coronavirus is in a coma at Danbury Hospital, while his wife and twin infant sons are quarantined at home.

The man, who has only been identified by state officials as being in his 40s, began showing symptoms shortly after he returned from a work conference in California on Feb. 28, his wife said in an interview Tuesday with Hearst Connecticut Media, which has agreed to withhold the family’s name.

“Over (that) weekend, he was really tired,” she said.

The woman said her husband had a fever by March 2.

“At first, we thought he had the flu,” she said.

But her husband tested negative for that illness, and eventually tested positive for COVID-19.

more...

you don't have to be 80 to get wrecked fast by this

betrayal

Banned
This week I went to buy some more medicine here in the Netherlands, there was enough , to fill 2 trucks, Tells me no one is prepared.

I get my stuff, clerk tells me 3 per person, why , no answer, I say , this is business for you, and you will make even more money.

Clerk: It won’t be this bad, it’s flu, I rolled my eyes. Said , I hope so and walked out the store.

Human nature right there.

People panic-buying -> They're stupid.
People don't panic-buy -> They're stupid.

I think that only makes sense for pessimists. :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:
I kept telling the people around me that this is going to get worse before it gets better and I knew once it hit Italy it was only a matter of time before it reached the US. I still see people posting how X things kills more people than this virus but what these people don't realize that we are just within the first stage of this shit show. It is HIGHLY contagious, meaning as the number of infections goes up, so dose the number of deaths. I wouldn't give it very long before the death toll to start to really climb since we are seeing cases multiply within weeks. Remember guys its always better to be prepared for the worst.

Cato

Banned
It is a new virus I doubt you are immune. You might just be too sexy for that shit.
I'm too pretty for that shit myself, I have no plans on catching it.

Seriously just wash your hands lol.

Not sure man. Think me and Cunth Cunth are safe.

Latest I heard was that the virus is triggered by the same gene that makes men have a small penis.
So, I am pretty certain I am immune.

BTW, I don;t believe for one second that China has contained the virus.
I think is is merely a matter of the polit bureau realized "This shit is killing our economy. Only ~3% of the population will die. Send these fuckers back to the factories pronto and let god decide who he takes."

Last edited:
Ease off a bit. He has given enough information for over a week now as this thing hit his work place. Told his location, warned us of a spike in numbers in his area before it was reported. It is in the news let it go.
I don't follow this thread religiously like some of you do, so I don't have any idea what happened to him.

I sincerely just wanted to know.
"Ground Zero" implies to me he is at home lying down and watching his relatives die.

Anyway, hope you and your elderly relatives will be fine, Siri, and that you don't get this shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom