• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnergy

I honestly don't doubt it. We all live in our own reality. Some are supported by facts, some by beliefs. It's always your choice.
I checked all my sources , been following this when China happend, see what information cut off have let the Italians to.

If only the president of Italy checked it this intensely, just saying . Or any other government, instead of running around making money.

I never needed much money , it’s to bad that I need it to live.

Wvrs

Things seem to be calming down a little in South Korea, noticing more people on the streets. Daily confirmed cases was slowing but then there's been an outbreak in Seoul so the worst could be yet to come.

Still no word on whether schools are definitely opening on the 23rd. As a teacher I'm quite enjoying my Coronacation ("working" from home) so I wouldn't mind if they decided to delay until April and cut shorter the curriculum lol.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Not sure man. Think me and @Cunth are safe.

Latest I heard was that the virus is triggered by the same gene that makes men have a small penis.
So, I am pretty certain I am immune.
You should remove your magnifying glasses before you check yourself down there and post silly comments

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I think all we can try and do now is to slow this down as much as possible to allow hospitals to be able to handle the patient loads, and until we can learn more about how to better treat this.

And that starts with more extreme measures. I think starting soon any job that doesn't require you to be physically present on-site should allow you to work from home. And it should be company policies to ban touching fellow workers in any way or sharing food. All sports leagues should block fans from attending games, if not outright postpone the leagues completely. Every state should do what Washington did and ban large gatherings more than a couple hundred if not less.

And if everyone practices good hygiene I think we can mitigate this enough to where we don't have these massive outbreaks where hospitals can't handle the surges.

betrayal

Banned
I checked all my sources , been following this when China happend, see what information cut off have let the Italians to.

If only the president of Italy checked it this intensely, just saying . Or any other government, instead of running around making money.

I never needed much money , it’s to bad that I need it to live.

The countries that first had the biggest problem with the virus are the first countries that are now getting the virus under control. Maybe you start to look not only into the past but also into the present. And to be honest, this probably applies to your whole life.

I don't follow this thread religiously like some of you do, so I don't have any idea what happened to him.

I sincerely just wanted to know.
"Ground Zero" implies to me he is at home lying down and watching his relatives die.

Anyway, hope you and your elderly relatives will be fine, Siri, and that you don't get this shit.

Yeah ok, that is what I am saying, don't be so cold we get it, you have not been in this 'hysterical panic' cult.

Still I don't think this would get more real to you if you did know this personal stuff that you are asking to know about from him. You are one of those 'calm down' panic spotting people that pop in and might have miss the information being tracked and shared. That is why I was just asking you to ease off a bit. This shit can't get more real to him, you would be the last person I would see as sincere about this shit.

Showing doubt until the end is not really sincerity.

Kadayi

Banned
I kept telling the people around me that this is going to get worse before it gets better and I knew once it hit Italy it was only a matter of time before it reached the US. I still see people posting how X things kills more people than this virus but what these people don't realize that we are just within the first stage of this shit show. It is HIGHLY contagious, meaning as the number of infections goes up, so dose the number of deaths. I wouldn't give it very long before the death toll to start to really climb since we are seeing cases multiply within weeks. Remember guys its always better to be prepared for the worst.

Yeah, don't even bother with these people. We've had a few turn up in the thread (I'm not going to name and shame) but largely despite the rapid spread of Covid-19 in the past week or so globally, they don't seem capable of re-evaluating their 'it's just the Flu Bro' mindset. It's probably going to take a few personal tragedies to occur before a lot of them change their tune tbh. Sad really. The ones implying this was somehow down to it being an Election year stunt in order to unseat Trump deserve all the ridicule though.

Last edited:
Yeah ok, that is what I am saying, don't be so cold we get it, you have not been in this 'hysterical panic' cult.

Still I don't think this would get more real to you if you did know this personal stuff that you are asking to know about from him. You are one of those 'calm down' panic spotting people that pop in and might have miss the information being tracked and shared. That is why I was just asking you to ease off a bit. This shit can't get more real to him, you would be the last person I would see as sincere about this shit.

Are we playing the ERA style victim game here?

betrayal

Banned

Come on, seriously now. There are several confirmed cases in the small town where I'm working right now and there are several confirmed cases and hundreds of people in quarantine 2-3 kilometers from my apartment. It's not the situation itself that scares people. It is always the interpretation of this situation that causes the appropriate emotions. Just because you are afraid does not mean that you are in a real terrifying situation.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I live in a big city, pretty much everyone I know takes the train or subway to work. I'm not even sure if I should physically be around these people anymore at the risk they put themselves in being in public transportation. Being that I have a suppressed immune system, I have some big decisions to make.

sinnergy

I live in a big city, pretty much everyone I know takes the train or subway to work. I'm not even sure if I should physically be around these people anymore at the risk they put themselves in being in public transportation. Being that I have a suppressed immune system, I have some big decisions to make.
Yes, and others won’t make them for you, so keep yourself and your family save, and also others because of your precautions, every bit helps .

betrayal

Banned

If there are already a lot of cases(!) in your city, I would avoid such means of transport with a suppressed immune system, even if the chance of infection is of course very small.

betrayal

Banned
Soo, UK health minister is infected.

How, on fucking planet earth, could something as ridiculous as this have happened?

Politicians are one of the largest risk groups with regard to the risk of infection. You sometimes have several appointments with hundreds of normal people a day (openings, events, lectures, normal business meetings, ...), shake a lot of hands, have many personal conversation etc.. In the case of corona, an infection may have already happened 1-2 weeks ago.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
Are we playing the ERA style victim game here?

I think they are trying to rationalize why buying several years worth of toilet paper is not retarded in order to survive a hypothetical 1 or 2 week illness.

Sorry, but I think it is severely retarded. (and you think so too?)

Come on, seriously now. There are several confirmed cases in the small town where I'm working right now and there are several confirmed cases and hundreds of people in quarantine 2-3 kilometers from my apartment. It's not the situation itself that scares people. It is always the interpretation of this situation that causes the appropriate emotions. Just because you are afraid does not mean that you are in a real terrifying situation.

Wait what are you talking about? This is the problem, who made you a judge of what is calm, what is panic, and what is terrifying. You can't generalize that stuff, different people react to the same thing different ways.

To me you have been a poor judge of panicking people since you guys have been accusing posters of panic in here when they are just sharing information and concern. It does not matter what level of reaction a person shows in a thread you cannot really see their real feelings through a post. We can emote but it does not make them real emotions. You determined that you see real panic in here. I doubted it because I was being accused of panicking which is laughable to someone like me who has seen some shit in my life. If we have not proven oursleves able to identify and discern real emotions on here by posts how can we recognize what Siri's ground zero means.

Don't be dense about this, we share number data here but those numbers are real people, sick people and deaths. We can still back off a bit if one of us is part of those numbers we report on.

Siri's case has become personal to him, I was just asking Mom to ease off a bit.

sinnergy

Politicians are one of the largest risk groups with regard to the risk of infection. You sometimes have several appointments with hundreds of normal people a day (openings, events, lectures, normal business meetings, ...), shake a lot of hands, have many personal conversation etc.. In the case of corona, an infection may have already happened 1-2 weeks ago.
Probably even longer ago, I think the world underestimated the spread, and it has been here for more than 1.5 - 2 months.

We don’t know how long you test positive, but there are signs, some Canadians tested positive for 4 weeks, 2 weeks after they left quarantine.

China is 3 months in lockdown, and the first cases there even came in December , who says it wasn’t already spreading there in November ... or even earlier.

Most symptoms are mild.

Jurassic Park: clever girl (virus)

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
If there are already a lot of cases(!) in your city, I would avoid such means of transport with a suppressed immune system, even if the chance of infection is of course very small.
I wouldn’t be using it, but I’m gonna limit my contact with those who do. One(my sister) I can’t avoid. I help take care of my nephew. I’m concerned about it, just gotta cross my fingers and hope for the best. I’m pretty much eliminating all contact with almost everyone else for the next several weeks though,

Sorry I am invading on your safe space...
Will keep from posting in here now so you don't need to get triggered... :messenger_heart:

I'll give you more details, that I know for sure myself, I know I'm an asshole and I know I am among Assholes, but at least I know when to be an asshole and when not to be one.

ERA did not teach me shit I had not learned long time ago from GAF so safe spaces or coined political terms are just words for me to poop on when it comes to how real life can get outside of these bullshit topics and threads.

You have the same right to post in this thread as I do until one of us is banned. What you are getting from me is just the fact that this will NEVER be a SAFE SPACE for your SHIT as long as I am here to call you on it.

You don't make it safe for us, I don't make it safe for you. This is NeoGAF my guy.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

I would suggest that if you're in a position to not use public transport you should make that choice. My wife is in the same boat and we're nearing a point where we'll have to make the decision to work from home (thankfully we're both in a position where we can mostly do that).

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I would suggest that if you're in a position to not use public transport you should make that choice. My wife is in the same boat and we're nearing a point where we'll have to make the decision to work from home (thankfully we're both in a position where we can mostly do that).
I’m freaking out, man. I’m not just worried about using public transport I’m worried about coming into contact with those who do. But I have to with my sister. It’s just not avoidable, so hopefully she doesn’t pick it up. We’re gonna be avoiding hugging though, but she’ll be the only one. Im gonna use as many preventative measures as I can. Gonna even order most products online and only go grocery shopping when I need to.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I’m freaking out, man. I’m not just worried about using public transport I’m worried about coming into contact with those who do. But I have to with my sister. It’s just not avoidable, so hopefully she doesn’t pick it up. We’re gonna be avoiding hugging though, but she’ll be the only one. Im gonna use as many preventative measures as I can. Gonna even order most products online and only go grocery shopping when I need to.

You can only do what you can do - control the variables in your control and for the rest just keep your fingers crossed.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
DP0kxfL.png

Iran blames US sanctions for affecting medicinal imports amid coronavirus outbreak
CNN’s Ramin Mostaghim in Tehran

US sanctions on Iran have seriously affected the country's ability to import drugs and medicines into the country, Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said during a news conference on Wednesday.

“The American administration does not care about Iranian people, they shed crocodile tears,” he said.

Mousavi also said the outbreak must not be associated only with China since it is a global issue, adding, “we welcome any assistance from all over the world.”

Iran has confirmed 8,042 coronavirus cases and 291 deaths, making it one of the worst hit countries outside China.

and Trump be like
:messenger_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_weary:

Saruhashi

Banned
Sam Harris made a great point in his podcast that we need to focus on flattening the curve. Meaning, even if a pandemic is inevitable, if we spread it out enough so the healthcare industry and hospitals aren't overwhelmed, it can be much better managed.

I think that's what they are trying to do.

I dread to think what the situation would be like if places just went into complete lockdown too early.
It's one thing to be locked down for 2 weeks once the virus seems to get out of control.
Imagine going into lockdown for 2 or 3 months and then when the restrictions are lifted the virus just spreads anyway.

People can only stockpile so much food and can only take so much time off work etc.
Eventually you would reach a point where the consequences can become just as deadly as the illness itself.

Even if you took the "it's just a flu" stance we are still talking about adding thousands of additional sick people to the existing healthcare systems.

I'm sure a lot of government actions are in some way focused on not being blamed as the numbers continue to rise.
The best they can actually do is slow things down temporarily though.

I mean, how long can Italy realistically remain locked down? Seems like they will eventually have to open back up again and when this happens the virus is going to spread again, especially if lots of people have mild or no symptoms.

Saruhashi

Banned
I want to go potentially say goodbye to my grandmother, she's 95 and in a nursing home. She doesn't hear well anymore so I can't phone her. I am worried about going in there though and being infected. I'm close to Toronto and it hasn't blown up yet and I feel fine, but for all I know I already have it and I'll feel it 2 weeks from now. I don't know what to do.

Dude, I wouldn't do it.
You don't want to go in there and then it turns out you did have it and you've condemned a bunch of people at the home.
Truth is there is no way of knowing if you have it or if you are spreading it in the early stages.

Most businesses etc are starting to shut down non-necessary meetings and encouraging people to work from home.
For a nursing home I'd imagine they want to keep outside visitors to a minimum.

The worst case scenario here doesn't bear thinking about. :(

Papa

Banned
We can afford it easily.. there is enough money with the super rich and besides that you can trade services like the old days.

But people are not willing to give up things ;) that’s something different .

It’s time to help each other .

Money is not a scarce resource. It is an abstraction of value. Your kind of stunted thinking is the same behind every failed communist revolution in history.

Cato

Banned

wear a condom and you will be fine.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Yesterday i finally saw 2 people with masks in my city...
Everyone is staying at home except us because we have to translocate on a new warehouse, the timing of this operation can't be worse...fuck my life...

sinnergy

Poland closes schoosl , only 25 cases.

Holland keeps them open , 300 cases.

We sacrifice, so you can learn how not to do it 🤣

#justflu #fuck #proudwarrior 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Poland closes schoosl , only 25 cases.

Holland keeps them open , 300 cases.

We sacrifice, so you can learn how not to do it 🤣

#justflu #fuck #proudwarrior 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Spain helds a massive protest on the whole country, the day after closes schools and colleges in Madrid, and our president avoids every single question about allowing the protest.

Reactions: RSB
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom