• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrnzaaas

Italy has banned funerals. Here’s how some people are getting around the rule.
From CNN's Barbie Latza Nadeau in Rome

As part of nationwide quarantine measures, Italy has issued a ban on all public gatherings — including weddings and funerals.
But at least one group of mourners in Rome got around the restrictions by parking a hearse outside a church and having a priest come outside to give a blessing over the coffin as it sat inside.

Italians are finding ways of living under the national lockdown: Some people seen having their hair cut on the streets to circumvent the rule against booking new appointments to avoid packing people too close together.

Stores have been limiting the number of people allowed to enter, while bars and restaurants have been keeping tables apart and using tape to mark one-meter (three-foot) gaps between people.

They really are a bunch of fucking idiots. The pandemic can go away, leading normal lives is the only thing that matters.

Jtibh

Banned
zGXvQLh.jpg

Once again no toilet paper. They fill it up daily but its gone in no time.

But i solved the mistery.
When someone coughs 20 people shit their pants.

Or its a bunch of umpa lumpas making fun of us

Top US doctors say the next month is a critical time to contain coronavirus
From CNN's Amanda Watts

Speaking at the House Oversight Committee discussing the coronavirus response, two top US doctors said the next month is critical when it comes to fighting the spread of coronavirus.

“It is critical because we must be much more serious as a county about what we might expect. ... A couple of cases today are going to be many, many cases tomorrow,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Doubling down, Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said, “This is a time for everyone to get engaged. This is not just a response for the government and public health system. It's a response for all of America.”

in 4 weeks we would need a lot of changes

Jtibh

Banned
When all us grapefruit eaters are the only ones surviving the apocolypse we will see who is laughing.

Oh here is a fun story

Montreal gonna start popping off soon. BC/Ontario we coming for you.
I will have lots of fun when they close the schools here and i will be stuck with my girl at home as mommy pushes double shifts in the hospital.

If what they say is true this will go one for months.

Not sure what the situation is around you but today they said our goverment would pay EI for the time you have to stay home.
And again it wont help me as i am self employed so i get nothing.

Sugarmonkey

zGXvQLh.jpg

But i solved the mistery.
When someone coughs 20 people shit their pants.

Or its a bunch of umpa lumpas making fun of us
Was just mentioning this to my wife (hoarding toilet paper), and I just don't get it. Do these people think there won't be hot water? Just wash your butt in the shower ffs.

WHO: "Calling this a pandemic won't change the reality of what is currently happening"

US media: "Holy shit, it's a pandemic!!!!!!"

It is (finally) a big shift though, with the dancing around the WHO has been doing to say it's NOT a pandemic leading up to this. They even went out and said they don't use the P-word anymore.. like.. wtf.

cryptoadam

Banned
I will have lots of fun when they close the schools here and i will be stuck with my girl at home as mommy pushes double shifts in the hospital.

If what they say is true this will go one for months.

Not sure what the situation is around you but today they said our goverment would pay EI for the time you have to stay home.
And again it wont help me as i am self employed so i get nothing.

I heard about the EI thing but was looking for an article on it to post in this thread. Haven't found anything do you have any links? I bet the Quebec government does something stupid and says its only for french people or some bullshit.

So far nothing about my work closing everything is going as normal, but with this lady taking the metro everyone is starting to freak out a bit and its only a matter of time until the cases start going crazy. And my GF is going to be doing a stage next month at the hospital (she is training to be an LPN). Thats scaring me because thats when I think we are going to get hit with cases and she will be right in the center of it.

I think I'm in the boat where it's going to get worst before it's going to get better unfortunately. I think stopping everyday life is worse because when you resume it again more people are just going to start picking it up. I don't really think we are at a point where containing it is an option.

Yes. Being contagious during the (symptom-less) incubation period and the general ease of spread means that, absent an effective vaccine, we're going to be dealing with this for a long time, and it's going to continue to wreak havoc, both in terms of health and economies. Buckle up.

Yay South Korea has inspired someone

Denver offers drive-up coronavirus testing

Colorado health officials will offer a drive-up testing lab for novel coronavirus in Denver, according to the state's Department of Public Health and Environment.

The service will be available starting today.

"Individuals must have an order from their doctor confirming they meet the testing criteria and need to be tested, and photo identification that matches the name on the doctor’s order," a department statement said.

Depending on test volume, results will be made available within 72 hours. Individuals getting tested should stay at home while awaiting results, the statement said.

Kentucky governor urges churches to cancel services
From CNN’s Jason Hanna

Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said he's recommending that churches across the state cancel services this weekend.
"I know that that’s a big step, I know that some won’t agree with it. But I believe that it’s our job to offer those protections, that we have a lot of opportunity for virtual services," he said.
He said they "have a lot of opportunity for virtual services" and noted he's canceling a weekend prayer breakfast.
"I don’t believe that whether you go to church during this period of time is a test of faith. I believe God gives us wisdom to protect each other and we should do that," he said.

cryptoadam

Banned
Plenty of kitchen roll though - use that if there's no bogroll. Bonus it's extra large for any fatties.

I was actually out of paper towels (still good on TP I don't shit much and most of my shits are at work where I use the free TP).

I am a bit worried there won't be any more paper towel but hopefully I am safe. Hope no one side eyes me and thinks I am some sort of bunker Y2K panic buyer LOL.

First coronavirus-related death reported in Sweden
From CNN's Niamh Kennedy in London

Sweden announced its first coronavirus-related death on Wednesday afternoon.
The elderly patient was treated in the intensive care unit of the Karolinska Institutet just outside of Stockholm, the press department for the Public Health Agency for the Stockholm region told CNN.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
zGXvQLh.jpg

Heres the best part - tissues/kleenex are fully in stock right next to it!!!

Fucking idiots.

Im willing to bet most of the people buying it out are popeyes chicken sandwich level scalpers....

Im in georgia and ive seen scalpers trying to offload purell for 10$ a bottle

First coronavirus death reported in Ireland
Ireland has had its first death related to coronavirus, the government said in a statement on Wednesday.
"I would like to extend my condolences to the family and friends of this patient," Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer with the Department of Health, said,
Holohan urged the media and public to respect their privacy.
"We continue our efforts to interrupt the transmission of this virus. It will take all of us, collectively to succeed. Please continue to follow public health advice," he said.

Jtibh

Banned
I heard about the EI thing but was looking for an article on it to post in this thread. Haven't found anything do you have any links? I bet the Quebec government does something stupid and says its only for french people or some bullshit.

So far nothing about my work closing everything is going as normal, but with this lady taking the metro everyone is starting to freak out a bit and its only a matter of time until the cases start going crazy. And my GF is going to be doing a stage next month at the hospital (she is training to be an LPN). Thats scaring me because thats when I think we are going to get hit with cases and she will be right in the center of it.
Was just on the news this morning. Nothing official yet but as soon as they have solid confirmation i will post.

What they were saying is that you would get the EI right away and not wait a week or 2.

The alberta goverment gave 1 billion to the hospitals to help out . Thats what they did so far.

And if you are sick stay home self isolate.
If you are lucky they would come to your house for testing but chances are in bigger cities you will have to go to one of the check points to get tested.

Do not go into any hospital or clinic.

CDC director says some coronavirus-related deaths have been found posthumously
During the House Oversight Committee discussion on the novel coronavirus response, the director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said some deaths from coronavirus have been discovered posthumously.

Rep. Harley Rouda asked CDC director Dr. Robert Redfield if it’s possible that some flu patients may have been misdiagnosed and actually had coronavirus.

"The standard practice is the first thing you do is test for influenza, so if they had influenza they would be positive," Redfield said.
Rouda then asked Redfield if they are doing posthumous testing.

Redfield said there has been "a surveillance system of deaths from pneumonia, that the CDC has; it’s not in every city, ever state, every hospital.”

Rouda followed up and asked, “So we could have some people in the United States dying for what appears to be influenza when in fact it could be the coronavirus?”

The doctor replied that “some cases have actually been diagnosed that way in the United States today.”

cryptoadam

Banned
Was just on the news this morning. Nothing official yet but as soon as they have solid confirmation i will post.

What they were saying is that you would get the EI right away and not wait a week or 2.

The alberta goverment gave 1 billion to the hospitals to help out . Thats what they did so far.

And if you are sick stay home self isolate.
If you are lucky they would come to your house for testing but chances are in bigger cities you will have to go to one of the check points to get tested.

Do not go into any hospital or clinic.

Well at least there is no wait so if you do have to quarantine/isolate then you can get paid (though EI is 55% ??).

I know it will hit my building. We have a ton of immigrants/foreigners here, lots of people from the mid east, and 90% of the people take public transportation to get to and from work.

Welp I always said if i dont get infected and get paid I wouldn't mind 2 weeks off.

Jtibh

Banned
Heres the best part - tissues/kleenex are fully in stock right next to it!!!

Fucking idiots.

Im willing to bet most of the people buying it out are popeyes chicken sandwich level scalpers....

Im in georgia and ive seen scalpers trying to offload purell for 10$ a bottle
Dont think so. This store is for one neighborhood full of rich people who dont go anywhere else cuz peasants.
Superstore is well stocked.
Costco is limited how much you can buy.

Though i know a lot of chinese here are sending stuff home. But to my understanding they banned the export of these supplies.

Dont know. Lets just agree an average family with severe bumm bumm leak goes through 24 rolls a month.

People are a mistery.

Jtibh

Banned
Well at least there is no wait so if you do have to quarantine/isolate then you can get paid (though EI is 55% ??).

I know it will hit my building. We have a ton of immigrants/foreigners here, lots of people from the mid east, and 90% of the people take public transportation to get to and from work.

Welp I always said if i dont get infected and get paid I wouldn't mind 2 weeks off.
That is if its only 2 weeks but i can imagine when we hit the peak we will be home for a lot longer.
Time will tell.
But things are looking grimm.

Jtibh

Banned

Current situation
Areas in Canada with cases of COVID-19 as of March 10, 2020
Province or territoryConfirmed cases
Ontario36
British Colombia39
Quebec4
Alberta14
Total cases:93
Information on demographics, symptoms and outcomes is available for most cases.

Of these cases:

• the onset of illnesses occurred between January 15 and March 5, 2020
  • 55% of ill individuals are female
  • 79% of ill individuals are over the age of 40
  • 13% of ill individuals have been hospitalized
  • 1 person has died of COVID-19
  • 79% of ill individuals are travellers and 12% are close contacts of those travellers

Tesseract

Banned
re: contact finding

'there's nothing unique about this, 'it's just the rigorous application of public health measures ...'

'quarantine, isolation, treatment'

Why the craziness about the loo roll? If everyone just buys it normally, or even one extra each let's say, then we should be good, no?

My family goes through it fast, so I might jump on the bandwagon and buy all the loo roll in Lidl's tomorrow, and risk getting ambushed on the way home.

What about other essentials than loo roll that one can only get at the shop?

I wonder if the world will get shit crazy, like really fucking apocalyptic crazy, like people getting shot over shit and shit, or if this is media scare par excellence.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Everything is getting canceled in the world I inhabit. All tech & academic conferences for the coming months are either already canceled, or are just dragging their heels and will do so within a week tops. I even wonder if MLB etc will end up dramatically changing the sports season. Even then, it's still not enough, IMO. I'd put in place federal policies to almost completely ground flights for a while.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Why the craziness about the loo roll? If everyone just buys it normally, or even one extra each let's say, then we should be good, no?

My family goes through it fast, so I might jump on the bandwagon and buy all the loo roll in Lidl's tomorrow, and risk getting ambushed on the way home.

What about other essentials than loo roll that one can only get at the shop?

I wonder if the world will get shit crazy, like really fucking apocalyptic crazy, like people getting shot over shit and shit, or if this is media scare par excellence.

Forts. Since we will all be forced to be neets for a few weeks soon, we need to build little forts made of toilet paper rolls to hide in.

Everything is getting canceled in the world I inhabit. All tech & academic conferences for the coming months are either already canceled, or are just dragging their heels and will do so within a week tops. I even wonder if MLB etc will end up dramatically changing the sports season. Even then, it's still not enough, IMO. I'd put in place federal policies to almost completely ground flights for a while.

And close state borders except for essential commerce (food, medicine and loo paper shipments). I'd go as far as county or regional closures, but I am not sure if we have the military assets to enforce such a tactic.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Current situation
Areas in Canada with cases of COVID-19 as of March 10, 2020
Province or territoryConfirmed cases
Ontario36
British Colombia39
Quebec4
Alberta14
Total cases:93
Information on demographics, symptoms and outcomes is available for most cases.

Of these cases:

• the onset of illnesses occurred between January 15 and March 5, 2020
  • 55% of ill individuals are female
  • 79% of ill individuals are over the age of 40
  • 13% of ill individuals have been hospitalized
  • 1 person has died of COVID-19
  • 79% of ill individuals are travellers and 12% are close contacts of those travellers

92% are from people travelling. Lots of Italians and Mid easterners in Montreal. Thats why I feel its going to blow up here soon. Also my work is right in the middle of big Italian and big Middle Eastern area's.

Only silver lining is that close to 80% are over 40 and few people are being hospatilized. I am sure that 13% number is mainly people over 60. I doubt more than 1 or 2 people under 50 have been hospatilized.

Welp the century mark is the big marker. Its make a break for countries. Either you take steps or you are on the road to 1000, which is the path to 10K.

Lets see if Blackface boy takes measures to keep us away from 1K or if he will focus on how trans people will be effected by this and why if the virus is sexist because 55% are female and this is just signs of the patriarchy once again.

Alebrije

Gold Member
Well officialy a Pandemic from WHO , not shocked but means lots of desinformed people will get tons of TP , alcohol , soap and other stuff...

No place to hide vs Coronavirus. Pointless panic shoppinc incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom