• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptoadam

Banned
Have any sports stars tested positive?

You would think that they would be prime for it. Sweating all over the place. In locker rooms with 20 other people. Traveling all over the place.

Have any sports stars tested positive?

You would think that they would be prime for it. Sweating all over the place. In locker rooms with 20 other people. Traveling all over the place.

When the first big sports star or celebrity get it.. that will be the start of phase 2 panic. Your normies who really don't pay attention to shit will realize they're woefully unprepared.

As of now I don't think any star would let it come out that they're sick, it'd be bad for their brand.

Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo canceled while coronavirus spreads across Texas
From CNN's Melissa Alonso

One of the largest livestock exhibitions and rodeos in the world will close early due to novel coronavirus fears, Houston city officials announced today.
The Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo opened on March 3 and was scheduled to run until March 22. It will now close this afternoon, officials said at a press conference today.
"Up until yesterday, all of the cases had been related to international travel," Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said. A Montgomery County coronavirus case that was reported Tuesday night "was evidence of some community spread," Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said.
Despite the containment efforts, "we will see wider spread," Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said.
"If we had the capability to test more people, we surely would be having more positives and perhaps more evidence of community transmission," Hidalgo said.
All other city events for the month of March will also be rescheduled or canceled, Turner said.
There are 21 confirmed cases in Texas, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services

JFK Library closing immediately due to potential exposure to coronavirus
From CNN's Rob Frehse

The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum is closing immediately after two employees attended a conference last week where other attendees had confirmed cases of coronavirus, the organization said in a statement today.
Neither of the employees have shown symptoms and both are in self-quarantine, according to the statement.
“If you have visited the Library between March 2 and March 11, please monitor your health for symptoms of coronavirus, including fever, cough, and shortness of breath,” the library and museum said.
The conference in question was the BLIST Industry Party 2020 held on March 4 at the Row Hotel in Somerville, Massachusetts, JFK library and museum spokesman Matt Porter told CNN.
The conference was a “pre-season industry bash for Boston’s wedding and event industry,” according to their Eventbrite site.
CNN has reached out to the event organizer, Whim Events, for more information.

MVJ1WJa.png

moves too fast

lqSzOwc.png

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Obviously.. complete data won't be available until it's all said and done (and obviously far too late to be useful to anyone other than a future archaeologist examining our failed society).
If you're serious and that wasn't a joke, our society isn't going to fail. We have too many countermeasures in place for that to happen. We have bottlenecks and vulnerabilities and single points of failure, yes, but this virus isn't going to be the thing that triggers them.

Regarding your math, our testing is woefully inadequate so there are many more people with corona than is currently known. It's hard to make an accurate mortality assessment like that.

You also assume that we won't deploy anything new to mitigate the virus in the meantime (like a vaccine).

As long as we maintain containment protocols, keep the number of critical patients in line with healthcare capacity (flatten the curve, as many people like to call it now), increase healthcare capacity, and educate the populace, we'll make it through this.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Oh, well that's different

With "0.001" JUST THE FLU BRO numbers that's 70,000 - 150,000 dead. With 3% CFR you're looking at 2.1 million - 4.5 million dead.

I think 1% CFR is hopefully more realistic, so 700,000-1.5 million dead in the US of A.

This number seem's awfully high in the tweet. As long as American's are smart and take care of themselves I am not sure it will escalate to that. China's population is in the billions and even they didn't break 100k YET. I could be wrong but that just seems like a huge number to me.

Last edited:
Italian medical chief dies from coronavirus
From Helena de Moura

Italy’s medical community is mourning the death of the head of the medical association in the northern Italian region of Varese, Italy’s state-run ANSA reported Wednesday.

Roberto Stella, president of the Medical Guild of Varese, died Tuesday night in Como, where the 67-year-old was hospitalized for respiratory failure due to coronavirus, the agency reported.

In a statement, Italy’s National Federation of Doctors and General Practitioners mourned Stella’s death, highlighting his contributions on a national level. They added that they hope the government will take notice of the dangers Italian doctors and nurses are facing.
“He was the example of the capability and hard work of family doctors,” said Silvestro Scotti, national secretary of the federation, said in a statement released Wednesday.
“His death represents the outcry of all colleagues who still today are not equipped with the proper individual protection needed."
Stella was a well-respected general practitioner both at the local and national level.

RIP I know they are working hard :(

Cybrwzrd

Banned
This number seem's awfully high in the tweet. As long as American's are smart and take care of themselves I am not sure it will escalate to that. China's population is in the billions and even they didn't break 100k YET. I could be wrong but that just seems like a huge number to me.

That gives me hope, but China also shut their economy down for a month to stop it. The US basically let it get into every community because we didn't want to ask wall street to lay off their coke binge for a few weeks.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Italian medical chief dies from coronavirus
From Helena de Moura

Italy’s medical community is mourning the death of the head of the medical association in the northern Italian region of Varese, Italy’s state-run ANSA reported Wednesday.

Roberto Stella, president of the Medical Guild of Varese, died Tuesday night in Como, where the 67-year-old was hospitalized for respiratory failure due to coronavirus, the agency reported.

In a statement, Italy’s National Federation of Doctors and General Practitioners mourned Stella’s death, highlighting his contributions on a national level. They added that they hope the government will take notice of the dangers Italian doctors and nurses are facing.
“He was the example of the capability and hard work of family doctors,” said Silvestro Scotti, national secretary of the federation, said in a statement released Wednesday.

Stella was a well-respected general practitioner both at the local and national level.

RIP I know they are working hard :(
Him and Li and all the other healthcare professionals putting their lives at risk for the benefit of the rest of us are truly something special.

giphy.gif

my State reports our third case is likely community-acquired.

We have not seen a pandemic like this in 100 years’: third positive case of coronavirus reported in CT

As of Wednesday, health officials have tested 74 CT residents for the virus: 71 negative results, 3 positive, 16 pending.

Last edited:
If you're serious and that wasn't a joke, our society isn't going to fail. We have too many countermeasures in place for that to happen. We have bottlenecks and vulnerabilities and single points of failure, yes, but this virus isn't going to be the thing that triggers them.

Regarding your math, our testing is woefully inadequate so there are many more people with corona than is currently known. It's hard to make an accurate mortality assessment like that.

You also assume that we won't deploy anything new to mitigate the virus in the meantime (like a vaccine).

As long as we maintain containment protocols, keep the number of critical patients in line with healthcare capacity (flatten the curve, as many people like to call it now), increase healthcare capacity, and educate the populace, we'll make it through this.

It's a joke, mostly. Even with a "worst case" 3% CFR (right now) it's hardly enough to end society.

Estimates put the 65+ age group in the USA at around 16%. So maybe 53 million people. Those 53 will be the biggest potential victims. We've seen semi-reliable numbers showing 8-10%+ CFR in aged individuals. If HALF the aged population caught this, and then 8% died, you're still looking at over 2 million dead just from old folx.

Hopefully we mitigate things, but old folks are dying even when they're the first cases found, i.e. the healthcare system isn't overworked and they're getting 100% attention.

China shut everything down to stop it, and I am still not convinced they're not under-reporting.

People in the US are going to FATHER DAUGHTER DANCES when they've been told to quarantine themselves.. I don't see it letting up soon.

Jooxed

Gold Member
It's a joke, mostly. Even with a "worst case" 3% CFR (right now) it's hardly enough to end society.

Estimates put the 65+ age group in the USA at around 16%. So maybe 53 million people. Those 53 will be the biggest potential victims. We've seen semi-reliable numbers showing 8-10%+ CFR in aged individuals. If HALF the aged population caught this, and then 8% died, you're still looking at over 2 million dead just from old folx.

Hopefully we mitigate things, but old folks are dying even when they're the first cases found, i.e. the healthcare system isn't overworked and they're getting 100% attention.

China shut everything down to stop it, and I am still not convinced they're not under-reporting.

People in the US are going to FATHER DAUGHTER DANCES when they've been told to quarantine themselves.. I don't see it letting up soon.

No I agree, we are a bunch of idiot's I am just saying that seems like an awfully high number. I am not convinced it will get that high. I am probably wrong but I HOPE I am not.

No I agree, we are a bunch of idiot's I am just saying that seems like an awfully high number. I am not convinced it will get that high. I am probably wrong but I HOPE I am not.

Yeah, hope so too. I've seen numbers saying up to 70% of the US could come down with it over time (MOST OF IT MILD!) due to how infectious it is.

But the old people will still remain the hardest hit.

Alebrije

Gold Member
MVJ1WJa.png

moves too fast

lqSzOwc.png

Just imagine the quantity of not reported or detected cases, this just begining im most countries.

Wwg1wga

MVJ1WJa.png

I dont get it : 125,599 - (67,051 + 4,605) = 53,943
What category are these people in ?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
If China and SK can get their numbers under control so can everyone else.

I am not downplaying this, but lets get to 50K deaths first before we start talking about millions dying. I mean lets get to 10K deaths (probably there in a few weeks). China should have 100's of millions infected and 100's and thousands dying and they don't. And they lied and covered this up for weeks in Nov/December.

Whats concerning is seeing people buying up the TP, and if thats how they act to clean their shit stained asses, I can't imagine what they will do at hospitals. Getting a cough and they will drag their entire family and apartment building to the hospital demanding everyone be tested RIGHT NOW and demanding to be put in ICU RIGHT NOW. This is my fear, how irrational people are and how that will just put more stress on the health system and push it towards collapse.

Still, the H1N1 numbers were accurate. If we had 56 million coronavirus cases right now people would be rioting in the streets (after their parents drop them off with their Antifa gear).

Why would you compare the total # of H1N1 cases (after all was said and done) to the # of cases we have in a pandemic that is just getting started?

Obviously we don't have the same # of cases, and if we do get there, there will be riots.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Why would you compare the total # of H1N1 cases (after all was said and done) to the # of cases we have in a pandemic that is just getting started?

Obviously we don't have the same # of cases, and if we do get there, there will be riots.

And thus the meme's point is made. No one rioted over H1N1, especially with 12,000 deaths in the US.

Phase

You know those numbers in China aren't accurate at all. The infected and death numbers are likely far far higher than they are reporting.

Apparently the latest tests show it can linger in the air for hours and remain on surfaces for days.

Well if this is true then there is no way you could properly prepare other than locking yourself in a sterile room till this whole thing blows over...which is not possible for 99.99999999999999999% of the population

For the second time in two weeks my son was sent home from school due to fever. He is an hour away in a group home and both times we've been notified it has been devastating to our family. This anxiety is horrible. I have to fight all of my parental instincts to just pick him up and lock my family in our apartment for the next few months. Unfortunately we can't afford to do that anyways.

E-Cat

Still, the H1N1 numbers were accurate. If we had 56 million coronavirus cases right now people would be rioting in the streets (after their parents drop them off with their Antifa gear).
Here's another number for you: 54x. As in, COVID-19 is 54 times more fatal. Do you not consider that a meaningful distinction? In other words, are you stupid or just a political hack?

Edit: And it turns out that the H1N1 numbers were NOT accurate, but a deliberate fake. LOL! This is too delicious. The real number is 12,469 as per the CDC. So, it's more like 98x. Stop falling for boomer propaganda, dude.

Last edited:
And thus the meme's point is made. No one rioted over H1N1, especially with 12,000 deaths in the US.

I feel like I am in bizarroworld having to explain this.

22 thousand died out of 60 million, of course no one is rioting. That is a CFR of *check notes meme*, 0.04%

"Just the Flu" is routinely tut-tutted as having a 0.1% CFR.

Using the meme numbers of 11 deaths vs 164 cases, that's a 6.7% CFR! If 6.7% of sick people were dying from there, you better believe there would be rioting.

Now that is skewed since it hit the old folks home first, so let's go back to the 1-3% CFR that is wildly accepted.

A 1% CFR is 25 times as deadly as a 0.04% CFR. Ergo, COVID-19 *MAY* be 25-75 times as deadly as H1N1. Would you be more inclined to be scared of something 25-75% more deadly?

cryptoadam

Banned
You know those numbers in China aren't accurate at all. The infected and death numbers are likely far far higher than they are reporting.

I think at the begining, but now they are pretty close to accurate. I won't say they are 100% truthful, but at this point I don't think they can be covering up a body count of 10 fold.

And even so we have SK to give us true numbers. And lets keep in mind SK was double fucked, once by the cult that spread it purposfully and by China lying at the start of this thing.

Yet they don't have 100's of thousand dead and millions infected. SK has a population of 51 Million, Hubei is about 58 million. Yet SK managed to get it seemingly under control at about 10K and a death rate of .65.

Yes it will take harsh measures and percautions, but it can be contained and stopped. Keep it away from old people and death rates most likely fall and recovery rates surge. Give it to people 50 and above and you collapse your hospital system.

Apparently the latest tests show it can linger in the air for hours and remain on surfaces for days.

Amazon are going to take a fucking hit. Got two packages that are making their way across Europe as I write this. Whoops!

In fact I thought this was obvious but haven't seen it anywhere in the news - the couriers and international/national postal services. Surely they are the biggest problem?

Last edited:

E-Cat

A 1% CFR is 25 times as deadly as a 0.04% CFR. Ergo, COVID-19 *MAY* be 25-75 times as deadly as H1N1. Would you be more inclined to be scared of something 25-75% more deadly?
Not enough information. He would first have to know whether there'd be riots in the streets since during Obama's tenure there weren't any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom