• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSB

Banned
Can my fellow Americans who are hoarding water bottles & toilet paper please learn what a fucking bidet & water filter are.

Absolute plebs.
Except there won't be running water in the post apocalypse, so the chad panickers are gonna have all the power when this goes full Mad Max. Toilet paper will be like those military grade bullets in the Metro games.

The "reasoners" will regret all the jokes they're making now, when they are forced to pimp themselves out for a roll.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I that many people die it would not lead to better shareholder returns though because companies will lose critical employees and supply chains will be devestated by the lack of people to move goods around.

Short term, not long term. Obviously long term would look far worse. But this quarter would look a lot better if we just ignored it. Who cares about next quarter tho? :p

from what i heard, it is actually dreadfully boring to be at these races, all you do is stand in the sun and drink to pass the time. you are usually in one spot, watching the cars go around. it's a way more interesting sport to watch filmed IMO.

NASCAR is fun as hell. You get to people watch a bunch of drunk rednecks and permanently damage your hearing. Also, drunk redneck bewbs.

Did he said that he's avoiding testing? Even if he did say so i guess it would be just to not panic (even more) the stock markets.

Yeah but it's not THE coronavirus. :p

Look at my last post above and this

it is clear they are avoiding testing

I don't think many in here would want Nancy Pelosi as POTUS, so I would encourage testing and the best care in the world both of them.
Stop exposing the guy to sick people that is like 3 close calls already

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Hey guys. Need advice. Which decontamination suit should I go with?

DDtWNkY.jpg

from what i heard, it is actually dreadfully boring to be at these races, all you do is stand in the sun and drink to pass the time. you are usually in one spot, watching the cars go around. it's a way more interesting sport to watch filmed IMO.

Having been to several of these events. I can confirm the people watching is much more interesting than the racing itself....and I like racing.

This is good info. A local news station did a segment on this. Hopefully this info gets around more so people dont feel like they absolutely have to go into work.

Sakura

The Johns Hopkins expert on Sam Harris said he expects the mortality rate to be around 0.6% overall when all is said and done. He bases that on South Korea having that reported mortality rate and them being so far the most advanced and up to date in the testing standards so far.

He isn’t sure why Italy’s is so high, he has theories(like older patients) but he thinks they will be the anomaly in terms of mortality rate.
I'm not sure I agree with that. The death rate in Korea is going to rise.
For example, the death rate is currently 0.83%. It has been going up the past few days.
I think SK has a low death rate currently, because many of the cases were confirmed early in the infection, so there hasn't actually been many resolutions yet. For example, they have 7869 cases, but only 333 recoveries. Italy has twice the cases, but 4 times the recoveries.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Hey, what do you have against baseball???? :messenger_face_screaming:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Except there won't be running water in the post apocalypse, so the chad panickers are gonna have all the power when this goes full Mad Max. Toilet paper will be like those military grade bullets in the Metro games.

The "reasoners" will regret all the jokes they're making now, when they are forced to pimp themselves out for a roll.

I'm mid construction of a Thunder Dome like arena made out of giant Costco packs of toilet paper. Cunth Cunth and brap brap are welcome to come work as Master Blaster (after a proper quarantine of course)

Dthomp

Well no cases that I’m aware of here in ND, and yet my Walmart was completely out of tp, water, rice, tissues, almost all canned meals and beans...seems about right

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
That's all well and good, but if even a single person slips through the cracks and society tries to go back to normal, wouldn't that just start the spread all over again? This is the part I'm trying to wrap my head around. Since the incubation period can be so long and the disease is so incredibly contagious, wouldn't we just be in the same position all over again with people traveling and spreading it all over the world before they show any symptoms?

1. It "flattens the curve". Healthcare capacity is only so much, so if you reduce the amount of people who need treatment at any given time, then you can manage the situation and provide care to those who need it. If the number of sick skyrocket, then you get situations like Italy where there isn't enough capacity to treat all those who are sick. If a given population of, say, 1000 people are destined to get sick, it's better to have that process occur over several months, than one week.

2. As with most other kinds of diseases, once you get it and recover from it, your body should be immune to it, and that helps reduce the spread of the disease as time goes on. (assuming it doesn't mutate a lot)

Miami mayor is in self-quarantine after being in same room as Brazilian president and entourage
From CNN's Rosa Flores and Sara Weisfeldt

Miami Mayor Francis Suarez has gone into self-quarantine after he was in the room with Brazil's president and his entourage, according to a video message that was played during a news conference.

In the recorded video message, Suarez said he was in the same room as Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro and his entourage. Suarez said he feels well, but he has taken this step out of an abundance of caution.

More on this: Concerns arose among political officials after a Brazilian government aide tested positive for coronavirus.
Fabio Wajngarten, Brazilian president's press secretary, tested positive for coronavirus on Thursday, according an official statement from the Brazilian president’s office, Thursday.

The health of the Brazilian president is being monitored.

Wajngarten was with Bolsonaro on last weekend’s US trip, during which the Brazilian president dined with President Trump at Mar-a-Largo. Wajngarten posted a picture of himself with Trump on Instagram a few days ago.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
1. It "flattens the curve". Healthcare capacity is only so much, so if you reduce the amount of people who need treatment at any given time, then you can manage the situation and provide care to those who need it. If the number of sick skyrocket, then you get situations like Italy where there isn't enough capacity to treat all those who are sick. If a given population of, say, 1000 people are destined to get sick, it's better to have that process occur over several months, than one week.

2. As with most other kinds of diseases, once you get it and recover from it, your body should be immune to it, and that helps reduce the spread of the disease as time goes on. (assuming it doesn't mutate a lot)

Yeah, the flattening the curve to reduce the speed of the spread so that people who need care can effectively get care makes sense. Still, people have to catch it to get care and recover to also become immune. It feels like what people are trying to do is turn off faucet completely instead of reducing it to a trickle. I guess as long as social distancing policies are only lifted in gradual stages, then the flow (or speed of the spread) should be able to be better controlled.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Right now it’s full blown “Contagion”

hoping we don’t get to “The Road” or “28 Days Later” soon

This morning I could hear my neighbor sneezing quite a bit across the yard and for a split second I got paranoid but told myself not start going down that mental rabbit hole
Id be more paranoid instead of people stock piling food they are stock piling ammo if you are in the states, those are the people im worried about lol

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It feels like what people are trying to do is turn off faucet completely instead of reducing it to a trickle.
It might feel like that. Every situation in every location has different variables that needs consideration. We can only really do what we can based on the best information available, and it's not all going to look the same to everyone since individuals have their own sets of self interests and biases as well.

When it comes down it it, I don't think any of us reallllly have enough information to know for sure what course of action and what degree is best. Not until we have super-intelligent AI anyway.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I am a complete tard when it comes to economics. How bad are we looking at things economically in the U.S.? Because if anything, this worries me the most.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Virtue signaling never takes a day off. This is really serious and people can't help but interject their horrendously bad and irrelevant takes about what to call the virus to not be racist. It's so cringey

My state Connecticut is having testing problems there is a huge issue with the CDC's tests it seems.

edit: make that 6 cases so far, anyone with mild illness are not being tested.
saw this on a live report

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom