• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkyJoe

Keeping the virus out.. Or in?

448264.jpg

Forsete

Swedes are starting to wonder where all those high taxes monies were spent? It sure as hell wasn't on preparedness or healthcare. Stockholm is already in acute shortage of protective gear for the brave people working in health care.

And we are only in the beginning stages.

Hold on to your butts, Swedes are in for a brutal wake up call (sadly it had to come to this for it to happen).

Kadayi

Banned
For a vaccine, yes. Didnt someone post a while back that there was testing going on with existing anti-viral meds to determine if any of those worked for at least mitigating the effect for those who have severe cases?

Well that would be SOP, but obviously the virus is distinct from others, so it's probably a long shot. The data yield might give them some pointers though in terms of direction.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I gave the article the benefit of the doubt in spite of the humorous photo they attached, then I noped out after the first sentence told me I'm not sentient unless I'm anxious. 🤖

Right? Pretty callous to think that robots aren't freaking out.

I do think there is merit in making sure everyone doesn't go full on panic. We need to continue to report the news and interpret the best we can.

We're hoping best case to be able to get some sort of heads up or warning for what is to come.

Even those of us following this daily for over a month didn't really think we'd be here right now.

I bought $300 worth of canned food today, along with staples that I would not normally eat (rice and beans, canned soup, noodles, etc.). Carbs are easier to store than keto-friendly foods, unfortunately.

I had enough for a month at home without leaving. Time to go to for two months.

Swedes are starting to wonder where all those high taxes monies were spent? It sure as hell wasn't on preparedness or healthcare. Stockholm is already in acute shortage of protective gear for the brave people working in health care.

And we are only in the beginning stages.

Hold on to your butts, Swedes are in for a brutal wake up call (sadly it had to come to this for it to happen).

There goes the argument that socialized medicine somehow saved Germany lmao.

prag16

Banned
It at the very least appears to have worked in China though. So do you just want to do nothing and let it burn out on it’s own? Are you willing to gamble millions of lives for better shareholder quarterly returns?
It's not just "shareholder quarterly returns". If they allow the economy to be destroyed, it will affect far more than "shareholder quarterly returns". It will ruin tons of peoples' lives. Anybody not in the top 1% is potentially vulnerable.

Calcium

Banned
And there it is, first case in Knoxville TN. Ailynn Ailynn and other East Tennessee GAFers time to hold on to your butts.

Mind you, it was only 9 cases yesterday in all of TN.

Corona is closing in. Do I have enough toilet paper?!

Lol @ Macron. The retard far-left never quit, do they.

“Today we have to avoid two pitfalls...nationalism. This virus has no passport. We have to join forces, coordinate our responses, cooperate. European cooperation is essential."

“The other pitfall is to take an individualist approach. It is by being united and saying “us” and not “I” that we will bounce back. I am counting on you to invent during this period new sense of solidarity.”

YEP MACRON, WORDS AND THE ALT-RIGHT ARE THE PROBLEM.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
And we'll soon surpass them (Italy) because Boris' mantra seems to be business as usual! People with mild symptoms being told to not even bother calling the authorities any more.

Tbh I think Boris has got it right on this one. If your symptoms are mild the advice is to self-isolate, and that's absolutely right. It takes you out of the virus-spreading pool without straining the not-unlimited resources available. If it starts getting iffy then you go and get medical help.

I thought for sure my area wouldn't get it until well after everyone else because of how isolated we are, but guess not.

The toilet paper and kleenex are also all gone. Filthy savages.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
And there it is, first case in Knoxville TN. Ailynn Ailynn and other East Tennessee GAFers time to hold on to your butts.

Mind you, it was only 9 cases yesterday in all of TN.

Aww man...
Thanks for the heads-up, Cybrwzrd Cybrwzrd !

Be careful out there, everyone. :lollipop-medical:
*Sigh*

9HZXU4Z.gif

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Short term, not long term. Obviously long term would look far worse. But this quarter would look a lot better if we just ignored it. Who cares about next quarter tho? :p

NASCAR is fun as hell. You get to people watch a bunch of drunk rednecks and permanently damage your hearing. Also, drunk redneck bewbs.

Sadly I've never been to a NASCAR race - I'd love to have a look sometime though when I next hop over the pond (assuming we don't lose cheap air travel forever). America really does motorsport right - oval racing is absolute madness and NASCAR and IndyCar are where the real men race (hell even the women that race them are real men).

Allforce

Just shut down all schools K-12 here in Ohio for 3 weeks starting Monday, statewide. Public and private.

I'm unemployed right now and thinking about making bank on babysitting because parents are FREAKING out about who's going to watch their kids.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
It's not just "shareholder quarterly returns". If they allow the economy to be destroyed, it will affect far more than "shareholder quarterly returns". It will ruin tons of peoples' lives. Anybody not in the top 1% is potentially vulnerable.

Dude, the stock market just dropped 10%. What do you think will happen if we just say fugeddabowdit and let tens if not hundreds of thousands die while our medical system gets plowed by an XXL Coronadildo. Short term pain is far less than the long term. The fed can spend our way out of short term problems.

Sadly I've never been to a NASCAR race - I'd love to have a look sometime though when I next hop over the pond (assuming we don't lose cheap air travel forever). America really does motorsport right - oval racing is absolute madness and NASCAR and IndyCar are where the real men race (hell even the women that race them are real men).

If you can only see one NASCAR race, make it the Bristol night race.

MotleyFool-TMOT-034cf0bf-trk-bristol.jpg

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I need to go grocery shopping because I just need my normal weekly food. I am hearing parking lots are 100% full and lots of items are sold out. This should be fun.

Work is also starting to make people work from home. Not going to complain there.

"Spring Break is over," says Miami Beach mayor
From CNN's Rosa Flores and Sara Weisfeldt

The city of Miami Beach has declared a state of emergency, Mayor Dan Gelber said at a news conference.
“Spring Break is over,” he said.
Gelber said restaurants will remain open but that he is discouraging people from visiting Miami Beach and encouraging social-distancing guidelines issued by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
If you can only see one NASCAR race, make it the Bristol night race.

MotleyFool-TMOT-034cf0bf-trk-bristol.jpg

I do iRacing and absolutely love Bristol - it's just a ridiculous track and so much fun to race. Proper gladiatorial stuff. iRacing introduced me to this stuff and in its own way made me love America - you guys have so many brilliant tracks that us Europeans don't get to see - Road America, Road Atlanta, Sebring, the ovals (Rockingham is nuts), you guys really do racing right.

Phase

I do iRacing and absolutely love Bristol - it's just a ridiculous track and so much fun to race. Proper gladiatorial stuff. iRacing introduced me to this stuff and in its own way made me love America - you guys have so many brilliant tracks that us Europeans don't get to see - Road America, Road Atlanta, Sebring, the ovals (Rockingham is nuts), you guys really do racing right.
I've been getting back into Gran Turismo lately. Virtual racing is so much fun. But I really want to see an Isle of Man TT race one day.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I've been getting back into Gran Turismo lately. Virtual racing is so much fun. But I really want to see an Isle of Man TT race one day.

Virtual racing inevitably leads to real racing - this shit ended up with me throwing Caterhams around Silverstone and Donington. There really is nothing better than motor racing. Sorry for the derail, I'll STFU now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom