• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarmonkey

Going forth I think anyone who goes "this is ERA level" just means the poster is wrong and can't argue their point anymore so they got to go to the lowest level possible. Not just specific to this thread, it's becoming a trend across GAF

You aren't being bullied, there are no witch hunts going on. People are still coming into this thread trying to ignore the severity of the situation while countries enforce quarantines and lockdowns because justthefluers seem to think governments make their decisions by watching the nightly news. If people want to come in here, call posters idiots and retards (all which has happened within the last few pages/days) then the other posters are going to call them out on it as the situation continues to get worse

Thank you for perfectly articulating what I wanted to say about this.

I

I guess we just don't have the resources to test everyone, even people with symptoms, like somebody else said to me. So who will ever know?
Them not being tested means they're more likely to infect other people because they're not taking measures to isolate. Not testing is what has the potential to cause incredible growth of the virus, which is why you're seeing preventive action like schools being closed, sports leagues pausing seasons, large gatherings being canceled. These are things done to try and prevent the potential spread.

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
Focusing on US markets, people might miss what is going on in Europe, and it looks more grim (Italy 15% down today alone...)

EAu7W7H.png

MadAnon

Yeah and 2 weeks from now it will be around 13k, and two weeks from then 130k...

If the virus doesn't stop spreading it will kill a significant amount of people.
Seriously? People said the same thing 2 months ago when they pulled out all their exponential charts. According to them millions should be already infected globally. Now people try to pick out individual countries to push the same narrative after those global charts didn't work out.

It's not like there aren't any counter measures being implemented. Where's the exponential infection rates in South Korea? They seem to already decline rapidly.

Last edited:
Seriously? People said the same thing 2 months ago when they pulled out all their exponential charts. According to them millions should be already infected globally. Now people try to pick up individual countries to push the same narrative after those global charts didn't work out.

It's not like there aren't any counter measures being implemented. Where's the exponential infection rates in South Korea? They seem to already decline rapidly.
It's going to reach those numbers but not at that speed. We are talking about something that's only in its infancy in the US if it's not limited.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Them not being tested means they're more likely to infect other people because they're not taking measures to isolate. Not testing is what has the potential to cause incredible growth of the virus, which is why you're seeing preventive action like schools being closed, sports leagues pausing seasons, large gatherings being canceled. These are things done to try and prevent the potential spread.
I agree but they told a woman they won't test her even though she has symptoms. When I said that's irresponsible someone else said we don't have unlimited resources to test everyone. So preventative measures is all we have and ppl need to follow them.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Because barely anyone has been tested and it's something that has the potential to grow exponentially. The reality is that preventive measures need to be taken now before it's too late.
By the same token the fact that nobody has been tested is vastly inflating the death rate. It cuts both ways.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Seriously? People said the same thing 2 months ago when they pulled out all their exponential charts. According to them millions should be already infected globally. Now people try to pick up individual countries to push the same narrative after those global charts didn't work out.

Korea is doing everything right. Intense contact tracing, and quarantines. It is also a much smaller country so far less long distance travel going on to complicate things. Also, their culture helps immensely for these kind of things.

I agree but they told a woman they won't test her even though she has symptoms. When I said that's irresponsible someone else said we don't have unlimited resources to test everyone. So what then?
Yeah, she should have been tested for sure. There is going to be a huge issue of supply and demand here. The ability to test anyone and everyone isn't something we have the capacity for and won't. It's not realistic. That's why preventive measures are most important.

A passenger on a JetBlue flight to West Palm Beach tests positive for coronavirus
From CNN's Chuck Johnston and Anna Sturla

A JetBlue passenger who tested positive for coronavirus is now in isolation in Florida, according to Alex Shaw, spokesperson with Florida Department of Health.

The passenger was on a flight from New York City to West Palm Beach Wednesday night. The passenger alerted the crew upon landing that he had received a notification confirming a positive coronavirus test, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said.

The Florida Department of Health was made aware that a passenger traveling through the Palm Beach International Airport tested positive for COVID-19. "Upon being notified, the Department immediately began working with the CDC to conduct an extensive epidemiological investigation to determine which passengers may have had close contact with the individual," Shaw said in a statement to CNN.

The Palm Beach airport has temporarily closed down Concourse A for cleaning after passengers aboard the Jet Blue flight were taken through that area. And the gate and terminal at John F. Kennedy Airport where the flight departed was cleaned, according to a statement.

By the same token the fact that nobody has been tested is vastly inflating the death rate. It cuts both ways.
In the US, sure but there is plenty of hard data out there from all other countries to establish a fairly accurate death rate. It's also kind of irrelevant to argue death rates on a whole. It should be looked at subsects of people. Smoking, age, preexisting conditions, obesity, these are all things that increase the chances of death for someone who contracts the virus.

"The World Health Organization (WHO) said Friday people aged 60 and older and have an underlying condition like cardiovascular disease, respiratory condition and diabetes have a risk of developing severe COVID-19. WHO recommended these people avoid crowded areas or places where they might interact with people who are sick. "

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Yeah, she should have been tested for sure. There is going to be a huge issue of supply and demand here. The ability to test anyone and everyone isn't something we have the capacity for and won't. It's not realistic. That's why preventive measures are most important.
Agreed but there's things that can't be avoided like work, doctor appointments, etc which can easily expose people. People really need to learn how to wash hands (I'm already ocd with this) and whatnot but unfortunately certain measures can't be avoided and we can't just shut down everything either.

Maine reports first presumptive positive case of coronavirus
From CNN’s Leslie Holland

Maine has its first presumptive positive coronavirus case — a woman in her 50s — according to Gov. Janet Mills.
The patient is quarantined in their home, according to a statement.
“The Maine CDC is speaking to the individual and her medical provider to assess travel history and begin to investigate possible community exposure,” the statement said.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The tests have been getting better.
You test every one with symptoms, no exceptions.
You will be able to tell when nobody is getting sick any more.
Even if you have a case or two pop up, it is a lot easier to handle than 100,000 cases.

Contact tracing, surveillance, etc is basic stuff that countries all do to some level. It is a lot easier and a lot less costly than trying to manage a hospital system that is overcapacity. It doesn't require people with the same skill level as doctors.
The problem is that countries were not taking it seriously, not putting their resources into this, not putting enough effort into this. People saying it is just the flu. Even the president of the US. Governments scared of uncovering a bunch of cases, because it means they might have to do actually do something, which would hurt the economy, so they just hope it sort of dies out on its own. Just look at Japan, they did a whopping 181 tests from yesterday to today. Because they are not taking it seriously, and don't want to find cases. Meanwhile a country like Korea can do tens of thousands of tests in a single day.
You can bet if they get to the point where they are locking down cities, they will not take containment lightly afterwards.

All right... I guess I'll just have to take your word for it, but this seems so contradictory to how this outbreak and pandemic began in the first place.

If a few people from a wet market in Wuhan can be the trigger point for massive global spread due to the disease's extremely contagious nature and long incubation period, I'm just not understanding how it becomes easier to play wack-a-mole after a few weeks of massive global-scale social isolation.

We've known for a long time that testing people once they show symptoms is way too late and means they have already been spreading it for multiple days if they've been moving around in populated areas and that spread just grows exponentially as time goes on. Without herd immunity (via vaccines or a critical mass of people getting the disease and recovering from it), the only proven method to slowing this thing is to stop people from moving and coming into contact with other people, but obviously that only works if you enforce it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you get this twice? Or is it like some other things where your body creates immunity to it afterwards.
No, which is possibly how it'll stop spreading in which the more people immune to it, the fewer people to infect and the less chance of people who haven't been infected from interacting with those who are infected.

Agreed but there's things that can't be avoided like work, doctor appointments, etc which can easily expose people. People really need to learn how to wash hands (I'm already ocd with this) and whatnot but unfortunately certain measures can't be avoided and we can't just shut down everything either.
That's why they advise older people to avoid large crowds if they can, only go out for necessary reasons. A preventive measure isn't a solution, it's just limiting the possibility for exposures and spread.

prag16

Banned
"The World Health Organization (WHO) said Friday people aged 60 and older and have an underlying condition like cardiovascular disease, respiratory condition and diabetes have a risk of developing severe COVID-19. WHO recommended these people avoid crowded areas or places where they might interact with people who are sick. "
That sounds like a reasonable recommendation.

More reasonable that laying waste to the absolute entirety of the world economy "out of an abundance of caution". If I hear that phrase one more time my ears are going to start bleeding.

Vlaphor

They just announced a state of emergency in Kansas City MO, stating that all events over 1000 people have to be cancelled during the next 21 days. This includes Planet Comic Con, which I was really looking forward to. Naka Kon in Overland Park is still up though, which is good since it starts tomorrow. I'm constantly checking up on it though.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
All right... I guess I'll just have to take your word for it, but this seems so contradictory to how this outbreak and pandemic began in the first place.

If a few people from a wet market in Wuhan can be the trigger point for massive global spread due to the disease's extremely contagious nature and long incubation period, I'm just not understanding how it becomes easier to play wack-a-mole after a few weeks of massive global-scale social isolation.

We've known for a long time that testing people once they show symptoms is way too late and means they have already been spreading it for multiple days if they've been moving around in populated areas and that spread just grows exponentially as time goes on. The only proven method to slowing this thing is to stop people from moving and coming into contact with other people, but obviously that only works if you enforce it.

It is like a forest fire. You can either claim that it is too hard because there may be hot spots that need management once it is under control, and just let it burn unchecked, or you can get the fire under control and worry about the hot spots once it is contained.

Last edited:

McHuj

They just announced a state of emergency in Kansas City MO, stating that all events over 1000 people have to be cancelled during the next 21 days. This includes Planet Comic Con, which I was really looking forward to. Naka Kon in Overland Park is still up though, which is good since it starts tomorrow. I'm constantly checking up on it though.

I don't get it. All events should be really cancelled for the next month. It doesn't matter if there's a 1000 people or 10 at a gather. Shit will still spread if it's there with 1 infected person.

Jtibh

Banned
Just want to say as someone who is very likely affected by the virus given my wifes work, lets not freak out.

Looking at the news not suprisingly every line is about the virus.
I suspect this will be the case for the next weeks or months.

Just stay calm continue with your life and avoid listening to the media.
Be rational do what you can to mittigate infection stay home if you have to but dont go crazy.

This virus is real but if will only negativly impact your life if you let it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It is like a forest fire. You can either claim that it is too hard because there may be hot spots that need management once it is under control, and just let it burn unchecked, or you can get the fire under control and worry about the hot spots once it is contained.

But it's not like that at all, because you see can see and react to fires in real time as soon as they start up. In this case, you have "fire starters" that are completely invisible and basically undetectable and are allowed to freely travel throughout the entire world before they go off. Oh, and each fire starter has a strong potential to turn other people into similarly undetectable fire starters simply by breathing in their vicinity.

Sakura

We've known for a long time that testing people once they show symptoms is way too late and means they have already been spreading it for multiple days if they've been moving around in populated areas and that spread just grows exponentially as time goes on. Without herd immunity (via vaccines or a critical mass of people getting the disease and recovering from it), the only proven method to slowing this thing is to stop people from moving and coming into contact with other people, but obviously that only works if you enforce it.
This was a new virus. Nobody even knew it existed at first. People aren't going to be looking and testing for a virus they don't know exists. By the time China realised it had a problem, it was already in numerous countries.

If you test someone who shows symptoms, you then test EVERYONE they came into contact with, to find who they got the disease from, and who they might have given it to. That way you end up finding new infections before they even have symptoms. Obviously, there may be people who slip through the cracks, and you might have situations where you can't find out where someone got infected, but you do a good enough job, and you can keep cases low enough that the medical system is able to handle them, and at some point you will have a vaccine ready.

Last edited:

Marlenus

The idea is to reduce the number of new cases per day to a managable level. If the influx of patients needing medical care is equal to or lower than the number of people leaving hospitals after receiving that care than you can sustain that kind of cadence. While you do that you find ways to increase capacity so that you can reduce the restrictions over time without over stretching the healthcare system.

So you put strict quarantines in place as the number of cases starts to reach the healthcare limit to maximise the effectiveness of the policies (too early and people think it is an over reaction so ignore it, too late and well, its too late so your system gets overburdended and you need even stricter controls in place to prevent it from spiraling out of control).

The whole point is to create a gentle slope towards the peak and a gentle slope the other side.

The UK gov live stream sounds like a weather report. That British calm is veeery refreshing compared to the social media scare we've been acting off - Reddit urban-legend reports, Facebook's "my best mate's mate is a doctor in Italy", and so on.

Edit: YES! The chief scientist didn't say "self-isolate", but instead "remaining at home" SANITY PREVAILS!

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
But it's not like that at all, because you see can see and react to fires in real time as soon as they start up. In this case, you have "fire starters" that are completely invisible and basically undetectable and are allowed to freely travel throughout the entire world before they go off. Oh, and each fire starter has a strong potential to turn other people into similarly undetectable fire starters simply by breathing in their vicinity.

Just a quick thread derail, Is your avatar Kodiak's Endless Intellect? It looked so familiar but I couldn't quite put my finger on it until this morning from my days as an Enchanter.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just a quick thread derail, Is your avatar Kodiak's Endless Intellect? It looked so familiar but I couldn't quite put my finger on it until this morning from my days as an Enchanter.

Clarity, actually! Went with the OG spell :) (actually, I suppose the buff icon is the same across all tiers).

Cybrwzrd

Banned

It at the very least appears to have worked in China though. So do you just want to do nothing and let it burn out on it’s own? Are you willing to gamble millions of lives for better shareholder quarterly returns?

RedVIper

Banned
Seriously? People said the same thing 2 months ago when they pulled out all their exponential charts. According to them millions should be already infected globally. Now people try to pick out individual countries to push the same narrative after those global charts didn't work out.

But you were arguing that those measures shouldn't be implemented.

Make up your mind.

You can't complain about NBA shutting down games and simultaneously point out countries that did implement those measures.

Marlenus

It at the very least appears to have worked in China though. So do you just want to do nothing and let it burn out on it’s own? Are you willing to gamble millions of lives for better shareholder quarterly returns?

I that many people die it would not lead to better shareholder returns though because companies will lose critical employees and supply chains will be devestated by the lack of people to move goods around.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Hi Reddit, I'm Nsikan Akpan, a science editor at National Geographic covering the COVID-19 outbreak. I hold a Ph.D. in pathobiology (a field devoted to studying the basic mechanisms of disease) from Columbia University, where I studied neurological disorders. My academic history also involves research on infectious disease, and at one point, I worked as a science writer for a virologist who consulted on the movie Contagion. Ask me anything about how a major news outlet handles an outbreak like coronavirus, but in a science-focused way.
And here’s where you can read all the stories we’ve done so far at National Geographic about COVID-19 (which can now be accessed freely by everyone): https://on.natgeo.com/2WfJ2Th
Proof: https://i.redd.it/j4epu1hq03m41.jpg

:messenger_face_screaming:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I'm just trying to understand the logic behind the decisions being made. China has started sending people back to work, so I suppose we'll see if temporary social isolation really works as a longer term solution within the next few weeks.

I'm skeptical that the world can sustain months (or even weeks) of effective economic shutdown. My main fear is that we end up causing far more permanent harm due to societal collapse than this disease could have possibly inflicted. I truly hope my fears are unfounded, but regardless, I'm in no position of power to decide either way.

Yup.

My problem is I care for an elderly sick person so I personally can't afford to get it.

This is the factor that bothers me most with the constant just the flu bros. True, maybe nobody on NeoGAF will get sick from this (almost certainly someone will though) but many of us have loved ones that are elderly and/or have immune system issues.

I understand the cold indifference that some feel towards this but I don't understand why they need to keep rubbing their shit in our faces.

I'm just trying to understand the logic behind the decisions being made. China has started sending people back to work, so I suppose we'll see if temporary social isolation really works as a longer term solution within the next few weeks.

I'm skeptical that the world can sustain months (or even weeks) of effective economic shutdown. My main fear is that we end up causing far more permanent harm due to societal collapse than this disease could have possibly inflicted. I truly hope I'm wrong and either way, I'm in no position of power to decide either way.
Society won't collapse and China has been impacted by this for how many months now? Not to mention they literally shut down entire cities to try and curb the spread before sending back some people to work and they're still spraying for it. You're not able to do that in the US or any other country really. Containing it is a lot harder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom