• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

MorgLaw

Neo Member
Guys I feel kind of weird like my head feels light.

tenor.png
this is my face since all this corona thing began

Cybrwzrd

Banned
That was one region of the world. Do it to too much of the world and you will start seeing deaths because of supply chain disruptions. That is what leaders have to balance.

What if there was an insulin shortage? You could easily kill more people than save from quarantine. Antibiotics?

Heck even simple stuff like not treating "minor" medical conditions can lead to late diagnosis of serious illness. How many more people die for every day a cancer diagnosis gets delayed?

You can go on and on. It is not as simple as people valuing money over the health of the elderly.

I don't know why this needs to be repeated.

There are roughly 1 million hospital beds in the USA. They are not evenly spread out based on population either.

If this gets out of control, there WILL be insulin shortages. There WILL be antibiotic shortages. There will be no one available to even provide them.

There are limited #s of beds and equipment to even treat this disease.

The US has 325 million people. If even a tenth of them get corona virus over the next 1-2 months, there won't be a medical system functioning to diagnose any of those things you fear not being diagnosed. The doctors and nurses will be shell shocked, overworked, sick and dying.

If we keep doubling the number of cases every 2 days, we are only 20 days out from a million cases.
22 days from 2 million.
24 from 4 million.
26 from 8 million.
28 from 16 million.
30 from 32 million.

I know people struggle with exponential growth.

There are roughly 1 million hospital beds in the USA. They are not evenly spread out based on population either.

If this gets out of control, there WILL be insulin shortages. There WILL be antibiotic shortages. There will be no one available to even provide them.

The US has 325 million people. If even a tenth of them get corona virus over the next 1-2 months, there won't be a medical system functioning to diagnose any of those things you fear not being diagnosed. The doctors and nurses will be shell shocked, overworked, sick and dying.

If we keep doubling the number of cases every 2 days, we are only 20 days out from a million cases.
22 days from 2 million.
24 from 4 million.
26 from 8 million.
28 from 16 million.
30 from 32 million.

Who is going to test all of that? Not our lazy CDC. No testing no cases to treat.

Jtibh

Banned
Jesus, thats horrifying. I just cant imagine what being in Italy right now must be like. There are so many heartbreaking stories coming out of there. Here in the states I really hope that the closure of everything will help us get a head of this thing.
We will have to act quick.
Spring break is here.
Let everyone stay home for 3 weeks .

Its an inconvenience for everyone but it would save a lot of lifes.
Do we want to live like this for months to come and experience the peak or can we just all collectivley bite the bullet and suck it up for 3weeks ?

Now is the time to do so.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Who is going to test all of that? Not our lazy CDC. No testing no cases to treat.
Not sure why you're blaming the CDC. The reason the U.S. has such a low test rate is because there aren't enough personal protective equipment and test kits to go around. The CDC does not manufacture either, nor do they provide health care funding.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Meat section was completely wiped at Wegmans. Pasta, canned stuff, paper stuff frozen meat and tons of other stuff too. I just wanted to get some stuff to make some damn tacos :messenger_tongue:

dionysus

Yaldog

22 days from 2 million.
24 from 4 million.
26 from 8 million.
28 from 16 million.
30 from 32 million.

What are you talking about? Insulin and antibiotics have nothing to do with hospital beds, and in the case of insulin you don't even go to the doctor to get it. They are made in factories and not administered in intensive care rooms. Shutting everything down is not an option. You must increase social distance or whatever the buzzword is, but the world doesn't have 180 days of stockpiles. Factories must remain open, trucks must transport goods, ships must sail, food must be harvested, etc. etc.

Also that growth rate is pure hyperbole. Where has that level of growth been sustained? We have seen high levels of growth as testing catches up with cases, but it doesnt sustain a doubling every 2 days.

My classes just got canceled for a week including spring break. So I will be out of class by 2 weeks. As of March 30 all my classes will go online. :(

Not sure why you're blaming the CDC. The reason the U.S. has such a low test rate is because there aren't enough personal protective equipment and test kits to go around. The CDC does not manufacture either, nor do they provide health care funding.

I stand corrected, who could we blame for all of this? All of the early 'We are prepared' talk has fallen a little flat.

Andodalf

Banned
Here in Alabama the Universities are announcing their "extended spring breaks" one by one, before a single official case. The state Government knows that we have many cases, we just haven't tested nearly enough. Scary times.

NCAA basketball game official tests positive for coronavirus
From CNN's David Close

The Colonial Athletic Association has announced that a game official working the CAA Conference Championships has tested positive for coronavirus.

The CAA Conference tournament ran from Saturday through Tuesday.

New York governor announces first public drive-through coronavirus testing facility on East Coast
From CNN's Bob Frehse

New York state will have the first public drive-through coronavirus testing facility on the east coast, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced today.

Officials will start testing people by appointment only in New Rochelle starting Friday, Cuomo added. New Rochelle residents who have been quarantined will be tested first, he said.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I stand corrected, who could we blame for all of this? All of the early 'We are prepared' talk has fallen a little flat.
Mostly it has to do with the failure of a fee for service health care system, where individual clinics running at already tight margins are expected to allocate funding for these once-in a blue moon events. It's just not going to happen. Most clinics are simply not designed to deal with an outbreak and we need to see more of what you just posted in your last post above.

But also the people who went out and hoarded PPE in the early days of the outbreak didn't help either. Like I said back then: doctors and nurses will simply not see you if they dont have the proper safety equipment, and this is a big reason why testing for the virus is being rationed in the USA.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
As it's starting in Poland it was fine.
but yesterday gov closed schools, theaters etc for 2 weeks and hell broke loose. I had to do ANY groceries quick. Could not find any meat and toilet paper though... got food maybe for a week or 2 if I spread it thin. Hope some stores will be opened and supplied then.
This really makes You think how very much we are dependent on a simple stores. Stores are empy/closed = You are hungry, dirty, dead

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
No, they don't. But you need pharmacists to distribute them and MDs to write the prescriptions.

If we get to the point where even just a million people are sick, ~200k of them will be in the hospital.

A wise government might temporarily loosen the regulations on who does this stuff, ie take some of the donkey work away from front line staff - have the porters triage patients using a checklist, hand out prescriptions for simpler things etc.

WHO Situation Report (Issue 52, 10a CET March 12)

Global:
125048 cases (+6729)
4613 deaths (+321)

China:
80981 cases (+26)
3173 deaths (+11)

Outside of China:
44067 cases (+6703)
1440 deaths (+310)
117 countries/regions (+4)

Good to see this info. They must have the most accurate numbers since that is the WHO but they are also very slow and behind those indie trackers by 10k for total cases, and for today behind 3,000 cases, and 300 deaths.

jts

...hate me...
That feel when I get a sore throat again this winter and start thinking minute by minute if I have a headache or fever brewing.

There actually aren't confirmed cases in my region yet, but I'm sure there has to be undiagnosed ones.

Mostly it has to do with the failure of a fee for service health care system, where individual clinics running at already tight margins are expected to allocate funding for these once-in a blue moon events. It's just not going to happen. Most clinics are simply not designed to deal with an outbreak and we need to see more of what you just posted in your last post above.

But also the people who went out and hoarded PPE in the early days of the outbreak didn't help either. Like I said back then: doctors and nurses will simply not see you if they dont have the proper safety equipment, and this is a big reason why testing for the virus is being rationed in the USA.

Thank You.

Totally agree with this explaination. It is an honest and simple answer but the public is not being told this at all. Everyone is pretending to be doing all they can. The reason I said the CDC is because even in my state the politicians get on TV and say the CDC neeeds to send us more kits or as they said today the kits are faulty. They make all types of excuses but never tell us the plain and simple truth of the matter as you just posted.

There is no back up plan to how things are normally done so we are blindsided by a rare event. Yet they are going to continue to lie about the reasons they can't test like South Korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom