• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Rudy Gobert traveled with, shared a locker room with, towels, showers, etc with an entire team of people and only one of them tested positive. Now I don't know if the others were false negatives or if they got lucky.

But the spread of it in Italy is just insane. I wonder what the majority of the spreading is coming from? What do you guys think? Person to person contamination? 2nd hand... like touching surfaces, putting hands in your mouth, etc?

2,000 a day is just nuts.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Rudy Gobert traveled with, shared a locker room with, towels, showers, etc with an entire team of people and only one of them tested positive. Now I don't know if the others were false negatives or if they got lucky.

But the spread of it in Italy is just insane. I wonder what the majority of the spreading is coming from? What do you guys think? Person to person contamination? 2nd hand... like touching surfaces, putting hands in your mouth, etc?

I wouldn't be surprised if a few others don't go positive in a few days.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
With today's video from Dr. Campbell and some other articles, I think I've finally wrapped my head around the actual end goal of social isolation policies.

As I assumed, the goal was never to "eliminate" the virus or "starve it out" as some have said. That's simply not going to happen and this Coronavirus is probably going to be with us next year and beyond. The goal is all about reducing fatality numbers by slowing the rate of spread to reduce stress on the medical system. Still, there's no doubt that most of us are going to need to catch this disease at some point. It would just be a lot better if we caught it later in Summer since there would be fewer hospitalizations from other illnesses (flu, etc.) during that time and if we manage to spread it out, we should be able to effectively treat people who need critical care.

Makes sense to me. I was just confused yesterday, because it sounded like the proposals were focused on a few weeks of social isolation and then we could go back to business as usual. That's clearly not the case and we're going to need to keep this up through summer at least until a critical mass of people have become infected and recovered so that we can develop herd immunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
New York now has more than 400 cases

New York now has at least 421 cases of coronavirus, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said today. That’s an increase of at least 96 cases since the state's last update.

The governor said 50 patients are currently hospitalized, which is a 12% rate. Eighteen are in intensive care.

The governor said 28 labs will be authorized for testing in New York state. By next week, when they are up and running, the state will be able to run 6,000 tests per day. It will be a “dramatic increase” as New York is currently processing about 3,000 tests per day, Cuomo said.

“Testing is the single most important things we can be doing right now," he added

Teslerum

With today's video from Dr. Campbell and some other articles, I think I've finally wrapped my head around the actual end goal of social isolation policies.

As I assumed, the goal was never to "eliminate" the virus or "starve it out" as some have said. That's simply not going to happen and this Coronavirus is probably going to be with us next year and beyond. The goal is all about reducing fatality numbers by slowing the rate of spread to reduce stress on the medical system. Still, there's no doubt that most of us are going to need to catch this disease at some point. It would just be a lot better if we caught it later in Summer since there would be fewer hospitalizations from other illnesses (flu, etc.) during that time and if we manage to spread it out, we should be able to effectively treat people who need critical care.

Makes sense to me. I was just confused yesterday, because it sounded like the proposals were focused on a few weeks of social isolation and then we could go back to business as usual. That's clearly not the case and we're going to need to keep this up through summer at least until a critical mass of people have become infected and recovered so that we can develop herd immunity.

Pretty much,

People need to realize this and just act accordingly. This is probably the only time in our lifes where just taking care and acting responsibly can absolutly save a life down the line.

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
0afa88be2240d0a08056862296c18bfc.0.jpg

:pie_thinking: Some quality prep work right there

Stouffers

Banned

Aren’t most meals “family style” in Italy? Like Buca Di Beppo?

betrayal

Banned
The figures from Italy today are encouraging. Normally, the figures should now be rising day by day and not just a little, but significantly. It looks like the first quarantine measures of Lombardy etc. are slowly starting to show. If the numbers of new infections now for a few days at ~2,000 - 3,000 cases level off, then Italy seems to be following the path of China.

Phase

dFMN1Bx.png

wi50LgZ.png

getting rough
China's numbers are such a lie. There's multiple reports going against the official count, suggesting >1.5 mil cases and >50k deaths. That would be much more in line with population numbers and the measures they were taking after trying to hide information. Especially since there's also reporting saying this probably started as early as back in November.

Also, if they were openly communicating from the start the rest of the world could have prepared more appropriately.

Last edited:
China's numbers are such a lie. There's multiple reports going against the official count, suggesting >1.5 mil cases and >50k deaths. That would be much more in line with population numbers and the measures they were taking after trying to hide information. Especially since there's also reporting saying this probably started as early as back in November.

I have to wonder why no other Cities in China outside of the Wuhan area added anything significant to their numbers considering the size and populations I would have expected at least 4 other Wuhan level hot spots in China. We accept these numbers because the WHO backed them up so everyone else praise China.

But if Italy, Spain, and France reaches Wuhan levels it becomes harder to believe China had no other hot spots since EU seems to have many areas.

Time will tell.

European people are a lot more touchy feely in their greetings so that could play a big role in it, I hypothesize

betrayal

Banned

Also, if they were openly communicating from the start the rest of the world could have prepared more appropriately.

If China is lying, then please answer me the following questions.

Why don't the many WHO staff on the ground in China say otherwise?

Why is even Wuhan slowly beginning to return to normality?

Why are almost 100% of the cargo ships heading for Europe again?

Why are the production sites of foreign companies all running at 80 to 100% capacity again?

And perhaps the most important question: Why are there no videos, Twitter posts, Instagram or Facebook posts about the "true" state of China? It's not as if no one there can communicate with the world.

Last edited:

Phase

If China is lying, then please answer me the following questions.

Why don't the many WHO staff on the ground in China say otherwise?

Why is even Wuhan slowly beginning to return to normality?

Why are almost 100% of the cargo ships heading for Europe again?

Why are the production sites of foreign companies all running at 80 to 100% capacity again?

And perhaps the most important question: Why are there no videos, Twitter posts, Instagram or Facebook posts about the "true" state of China? It's not as if no one there can communicate with the world.
You really believe China has only 3k deaths when Italy (who actually has a section of Chinese citizens btw which likely exacerbated the problem there) has almost half that already? I believe they've done a lot to quell the spread, but there's no way that their numbers are accurate.

Last edited:
You really believe China has only 3k deaths when Italy (who actually has a section of Chinese citizens btw which likely exacerbated the problem there) has almost half that already? I believe they've done a lot to quell the spread, but there's no way that their numbers are accurate.
Im not the one for conspiracy theories, but China is not to be trusted. They will do what it takes to silence people. I don't doubt that the situation is more manageable now but I believe they are hiding true numbers to say face with their people.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
My mates gave me odd looks a few weeks ago as I was getting ready for the long haul, and today they're in crowded super markets getting TP and beans, while hand sanitizer is nowhere to be found. It's not that I wanted to be right about this, but I can't help feeling a little smug inside.

What the fuck.

How can it have been already in development before the outbreak? If this is true then something fishy is going on.

To give the benefit of the doubt, a coronavirus is relatively common, so they COULD have been working on something. How much or how fast it'd be applicable to COVID-19 is something a science-y person would have to answer.

MrMephistoX

Im not the one for conspiracy theories, but China is not to be trusted. They will do what it takes to silence people. I don't that the situation is more manageable now but I believe they are hiding true numbers to say face with their people.

My in-laws still live there and they are wonderful people but incredibly gullible when it comes to the government propaganda machine.

I would want to say that people put up with the CCP’s non-sense because of economic prosperity and not wanting to rock the boat but then you look at the one child policy less than 40 years ago and it just seems the chinese overall just don’t have a culture of protest due to propaganda.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
My neighbor is going to drive me to my psychiatrist appointment and back on Monday so I don't have to take the nasty ass bus.

Keep in mind I'm not in panic mode but I do live with and care for a sick, elderly person.

What the fuck.

How can it have been already in development before the outbreak? If this is true then something fishy is going on.
Its completely possible but the tweet dose still say it will take more time with authentication and going through all of the red tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom