• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I stopped at Kroger on the way home. I stopped to buy drink mixers, beer and an onion. Onions were sold out. Red, white, yellow and sweet. All gone. WTF.
It's funny because me and my friends favorite beer is Corona Extra.

His alcoholic and gambling ass goes out every other night and drinks Rumpleminze shots with Corona.

V4skunk

Banned
Who was the GAFfer that had projections for China cases/deaths back in January/February? Their numbers were right on point. Maybe pulling that up as a reference might be an eye opener for all the posters just coming into the thread now who haven't been following this closely.
So how do you explain China's claims vs Italy's numbers?
China cannot be trusted. They are 100% lying about the severity of corona. Hundreds of thousands dead in China!
As soon as the hospitals get full the kill rate drastically starts to go up as care cannot be given to all.

Last edited:

grkazan12

Sorry if I'm getting political, but I feel a lot better after the national emergency announcement from earlier today, let's get more boots on the ground in a sense and the creation of more beds, facilities, and respirators for those who need it. I know cases will probably rise, but I feel energized by the speech.

I'm going to be working remotely at my parents who live in a small town in Carbon County Pennsylvania.

Any PA bros, do you think Carbon County could be ready for this if it upticks?

My mom's 53 pretty good health, a bit worried about dad as he's 67 with cardiovascular disease and a former smoker.

McHuj

Question. Does any one else feel burnt out on this virus/media coverage?

i‘ve been obsessed with it and the economy for this past week, but this afternoon I think I’ve reached my threshold and I don’t know if I can care anymore and will start to tune it out.

i need a fucking a cigarette

Cybrwzrd

Banned
7lrB4X8.jpg

i‘ve been obsessed with it and the economy for this past week, but this afternoon I think I’ve reached my threshold and I don’t know if I can care anymore and will start to tune it out.

This has definitely turned from being an.. academic exercise into something a lot more visceral, that is for sure. Even the reporting is different. We used to get nicely deliniated number dumps which we could use to go over and plug into formulas and debate with justtheflubros about the merits of such and such.. and now.. it's like, well shit, there is no more food at the store. When will they restock? My ass needs a wipe, but all I have left is a sock..

I dunno.

I see Cucumbers are still available

200.gif

Last edited:

grkazan12

Same man, there's only so much we can take with the news cycle. Take the normal precautions, good hygiene, rest, exercise, and limit going out in public.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I try to just stick to this thread, Twitter, and some YouTube channels. So much of the news coverage out there is just hot nonsense and it's frustrating to read and be unable to react to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

nush

A week? Many of us in this topic have been following the story since January. As I said way back, nobody seems to care becuse it's over there (China) and as soon as it happening here (Whatever country you are in) then they'll start to care. It's just taken until March for that to happen.

I try to just stick to this thread, Twitter, and some YouTube channels. So much of the news coverage out there is just hot nonsense and it's frustrating to read and be unable to react to it.

Is there a comparison chart to the Novel Coronavirus infection numbers/mortality compared to H1N1 or SARS when they were going around?

Tigerlord

Dammit... I work at a supermarket and have seen first hand how effed up everything is.
My shift started at 9 am but I arrived at 8:30. At that time, almost all carts were in use,
multiple shelves were empty, and lines out the wazoo. We were already out of toilet paper ,and napkins/
paper towels were going quickly. It lasted my entire shift and then some. It was a fucking nightmare.

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
My job is still having 800+ people gather in one small building as of tomorrow. You know what fuck that im not going for the time being.

China cannot be trusted. They are 100% lying about the severity of corona. Hundreds of thousands dead in China!
As soon as the hospitals get full the kill rate drastically starts to go up as care cannot be given to all.

I'm not denying the Chinese numbers are false, the person formed their projections based on what numbers China was releasing and they held true (which means China was liking using the same math/model) . I'm sure if they're still here and did one for Italy they would have been pretty consistent.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a comparison chart to the Novel Coronavirus infection numbers/mortality compared to H1N1 or SARS when they were going around?

I don't think we really have a handle at all on the actual infection numbers right now. Different people are saying that the actual numbers are probably 10x or more of the currently confirmed cases.

betrayal

Banned

Excuse me? China has one of the highest death rates of all countries including the Diamond Princess.

I was just thinking how I am starting to feel the same way. It just starts to become normal after a while.

Phase

It's very obvious to anyone who does a little research and is paying attention. I would say easy it's over 2mil infected there and over 150k dead. We haven't really heard anything from surrounding areas in China either. They're just suppressing any and everything from getting out to the world. Pretty normal for China.

Last edited:
Miami mayor says he's starting to feel the symptoms of coronavirus

CNN

iOyUKqn.jpg

Miami Mayor Francis Suarez learned Friday that he tested positive for coronavirus and he said he's already starting to feel the symptoms.
"You know it feels similar to the on set of a cold," he told CNN's Erin Burnett on Friday.
Suarez said he plans to share his experience in the hopes that "it calms people down because it's something I'm going through myself."
The mayor went on to say that he's not sure where he caught the virus, but noted that he was recently in close proximity of someone who tested positive for the virus.

In a statement that he released earlier, Suarez said, "If we did not shake hands or you did not come into contact with me if I coughed or sneezed, there is no action you need to take whatsoever. If we did, however, touch or shake hands, or if I sneezed or coughed near you since Monday, it is recommended that you self-isolate for 14 days, but you do not need to get tested."

---

well this guy is milking it for all its worth

This is nothing, I still see plenty of stock in that picture.
I'm unfortunate enough to be working in retail right now with each day being more ridiculous than the next. Today, we completely ran out of almost all of our food and cleaning products, even if the food only has a shelf life of 2 -3 days max - fresh meat, fruit, veg and bakery items, it didn't matter, they were all gone. I'm wondering what the fuck these people are going to do when they have half a house full of rotting food by next week.

my state CT now at 11 cases

Below is a list of cases in the state:

1. Wilton resident, age: 40/50s
  2. New Canaan man, age: 65
  3. Westport woman, age: 50/60s
  4. Stamford woman, age: 60s (recently returned from Italy)
  5. Stratford child, age: school-age
  6. Bethlehem woman, age: 30s
  7. Bethlehem man, age: 60s
  8. Westport woman, age: 40s
  9. Darien man, age: 50s
  10. Greenwich man, age: 40s
  11. Greenwich man, age: 20s

Last edited:
hmmmmm

Brazilian president’s lawyer says she tested positive for coronavirus
From CNN’s Taylor Barnes in Atlanta

Attorney Karina Kufa, who reportedly traveled with Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro on his recent trip to the United States, tweeted Friday night that she tested positive for novel coronavirus.
“My coronavirus exam came back positive. I returned yesterday from Miami and I isolated myself immediately when I learned about the state of @Fabiowoficial’s health,” she wrote, referring to Bolsonaro’s press secretary, Fabio Wajngarten, who tested positive for the virus on Thursday. “I am following the protocols and feeling well. Now I only need a few days of rest to get back in the fight again!”
The Brazilian newspaper Estado de Sao Paulo, among other Brazilian media, reported that Kufa, who is Bolsonaro’s attorney and the treasurer of a political group launched by Bolsonaro, traveled with the Brazilian president on his recent trip to meet President Trump.

An Instagram account under Kufa’s name includes an image that appears to be the lawyer standing next to an artistic rendering of Bolsonaro in the studio of Miami artist Romero Britto. The Brazilian presidency published an article about Bolsonaro’s visit to Britto’s studio that includes the president standing next to the same rendering.

Earlier on Friday, Bolsonaro said that his own coronavirus test came back negative.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Man... the media is so fucking annoying when it comes to anything Trump.

A subsidiary of Alphabet (with lots of volunteer engineers from the wider Alphabet group, including Google) is working on a triage website that will first be rolled out for testing in the Bay Area with plans to expand from there. Trump referred to this group as "Google."

Headline: "Contrary to Trump’s claim, Google is not building a nationwide coronavirus screening website"

These people just cannot help themselves to point out any inaccuracy, no matter how small, when it comes to Trump. Always going for that gotcha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man... the media is so fucking annoying when it comes to anything Trump.

A subsidiary of Alphabet (with lots of volunteer engineers from the wider Alphabet group, including Google) is working on a triage website that will first be rolled out for testing in the Bay Area with plans to expand from there. Trump referred to this group as "Google."

Headline: "Contrary to Trump’s claim, Google is not building a nationwide coronavirus screening website"

These people just cannot help themselves to point out any inaccuracy, no matter how small, when it comes to Trump. Always going for that gotcha.

To be fair this is not very different than the nitpicky petty correction replies we get in many threads on forums. It just becomes a habit people feel they have to correct everything down to a very detailed level just to have reasons to disagree.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
To be fair this is not very different than the nitpicky petty correction replies we get in many threads on forums. It just becomes a habit people feel they have to correct everything down to a very detailed level just to have reasons to disagree.

Forums are one thing... We're just a bunch of people shooting the shit. These people are being hired as journalists and getting paid to write this kind of trash. I just don't get it.

I stopped at Kroger on the way home. I stopped to buy drink mixers, beer and an onion. Onions were sold out. Red, white, yellow and sweet. All gone. WTF.

Onions take a really long time to go bad man, if I was more concerned I might buy a few bags. They are great for cooking.

Onions, carrots, potatos, these are vegetables you really can't afford not to be eating. Add rice to that, if people are seriously concerned they should be buying all of those and chicken.

Last edited:

Karma Jawa

Well I’ve got flu. Not sure whether it’s THE flu, but it’s flu. A rough cough and high temperature. Limbs not feeling too bad.

Gut instinct is that this a normal strand. The dry cough isn’t great though, so unless I feel better by Sunday I might need to write off next week.

nush

Dammit... I work at a supermarket and have seen first hand how effed up everything is.
My shift started at 9 am but I arrived at 8:30. At that time, almost all carts were in use,
multiple shelves were empty, and lines out the wazoo. We were already out of toilet paper ,and napkins/
paper towels were going quickly. It lasted my entire shift and then some. It was a fucking nightmare.

FDnPkUS.jpg

Funny thing is that the Chinese are not panic buying toilet paper and never did even at the start of the outbreak. It's the most bizarre thing for people to latch onto for panic buying in western countries.

MrMephistoX

Whole Foods was picked clean of all canned goods but chili , beans and chowder...plenty of sardines. Also even though we’re wfh for work my kids district shut down so it’s gonna be an interesting few weeks ;)

Forums are one thing... We're just a bunch of people shooting the shit. These people are being hired as journalists and getting paid to write this kind of trash. I just don't get it.

I was expecting The Verge to be just a tech focus place, but I guess these are the times we live in.
Pretty damn annoying I doubt anyone knows who the hell Alphabet is so I think Trump was right to go with simply Google.

Kev Kev

worked in produce 6 years at a very busy store. Recently quit and now I shop for and deliver groceries for Shipt

never, have I ever, in all my years workingin produce or doing Shipt have I seen grocery stores the way I saw them today. It was fucking bonkers

I live in Daytona Beach and we have Bike Week going on right now which is already massive, and with this now on top of it... my god. Only thing that comes close is Hurricane preparation chaos but even that isn’t as bananas as this

I feel for ya dude, do yourself a favor and use some sick days if you got em... or just say fuck it and play hooky 🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom